Here is my opinion on the 7 month experience with BlackBerry Classic. TL;DR: OS 10 is buggy, the Classic is slow, BB sucks as a consumer brand, but the keyboard is good.

I�ve used Nokia E71 -> iPhone 4 -> Nexus 5 -> Classic.
    Non-native apps that I currently use: Telegram, Google Maps, Simplenote, Reddit in Motion, Spotify, banking, CB10, Whatsapp, Evernote, LinkedIn.

Speed: the Classic isn�t very slow, but compared to other high-end devices, released even prior to it (such as the iPhone 5s or the Nexus 5), it�s definitely slower.

Apps: few quality native apps. Android apps usually take a toll on battery life and obviously don�t work as well as they do on Android phones. When I made the switch, I had to drop some of the productivity apps I used on the N5, because they were unusable under Android runtime or unavailable on BB World. I actually changed my workflow to adapt it to BB apps.

Every OS developer should understand, that without solid native apps for those 10-20 popular apps like Facebook, instagram, Youtube (LOL the native �app�), the platform won�t survive.

Camera: mediocre

Keyboard: the strong case for a BB. It worked good for me, just a few double typing issues here and there, depending on OS version.

BBM: surprisingly it's slower on BB than on Android or iOS
    • cross-platform delivery and notifications for push messages work better with WhatsApp and Telegram.
    • end-to-end encryption only for enterprises and only in a few �select� countries. We don�t know how secure it is, considering the code didn�t go through a formal review. It scored 1 out of 7 on EFF�s scorecard. From what I understand, all standard chats can be decripted with 1 master key.
    • ads (no ads in iMessage or Messages from Google). I paid for the device so I expect their factory installed apps to be ad free, no matter the degree of intrusiveness, ad source or content.

The Hub: it�s very cool, besides the keyboard it was the other reason why I bought BB. But it gets slow with more than 3 e-mail accounts or keeping messages older than 1 month.

Accessories and build quality:
    • the phone looks good, feels good.
    • the leather pouch is stupid tight. I dropped the phone struggling to get it out. I put stuff in it to loosen up.
    • connected a pebble time and it halved the watch�s battery life. The experience is ok-ish.

Bugs and stuff that bothered me a lot:
    • contact names were frequently displayed only after I answered (found a workaround but it still happens sometimes)
    • 4 steps necessary to edit a contact from the "phone" app
    • the phone returns to the call screen, interrupting what I was doing, when a call activates or ends
    • the �end call� button doesn�t work outside the call screen. If the phone has a dedicated hardware button for answering/ending calls, it should work no matter what menu I'm in
    • frequent shutdowns in my pocket when I would sit down (and no, I will not change my jeans because this is the only phone that does this)
    • small e-mail font that can be changed only if you change the default system font
    • calendar unintuitive and inconsistent. I use it on a daily basis and I still add appointments on wrong days
    • evernote and Remember sync is a joke
    • smaller, unlit trackpad
    • I can wake the dead when I dial a number
    • too many hours wasted on looking for solutions and workarounds

The desktop software suite: there are 2 apps insead of 1 for some reason. The mac version has reduced functionality and blend is slow.

Security and privacy: without an enterprise account, in general, BB is as secure as iOS and Android. We know that Google is selling our data, but we have no idea what BB does; we know about this as much as we do about iOS. Should I trust BB with my data considering BBM now has ads?

All things considered, this phone is not very productive due to its speed, app availability, inconsistencies and bugs in the UI. The OS is not mature and it never will be considering BB�s latest decisions. The CORE apps such as dialer, e-mail, bbm, calendar, are lacking features and are bugged. It�s a 2014 phone with 2013 specs and 2012 performance.

Why BlackBerry sucks as a consumer brand:

My dad replaced his Torch once due to bluetooth issues and the Q10 twice due to double typing. The Q10 is the only phone in the family that doesn�t connect to his car�s bluetooth.

My gf replaced her 9900 twice due to camera issues. Lots of battery pulls and crashes. Her Classic and my Classic feel different (bought 4 months apart, from different vendors). The keyboards and the plastic back don�t have the same feel, but OS bugs are consistent.

BB basically went with a half-baked OS 10, which at launch didn�t have the same features as the old OS, we all hoped that it will mature due to its potential, it didn�t and it never will, because they are clearly switching to Android. From a consumer perspective, the brand is unreliable.

I�m looking forward to the Priv (what a glorious name), not because it�s a BB phone, but because it�s a an android phone with goods specs and has a BB keyboard and hub.
    10-22-15 08:12 AM
    Sadly, I'm thinking really hard to drop the classic too, I was with blackberry since the beggining when everyone had one, remember the pearl where all the girls loved it!!
    Now is just for us hard fans but Im just tired of the total slowness, thing that I hate the most is the dial/phone app
    I always loved the trackpad and keyboard and that was the ONLY reason I stayed with them even though there are better phones out there without a doubt, I would buy the Priv if they would've added a toolbelt like the classic at the bottom of the phone, and I understand not everyone of bb fans loves the belt but that is what makes them different, other than it looks like a cheap copy of any other touchphones.. I have a samsung tablet, iphone and ipod and I can do faster stuff with those than with the classic so then you can tell bb love is why we are here.
    Remember BB ruled the world of phones now we are the last
    cboelens likes this.
    10-22-15 08:46 AM
    I agree, they should have released the Classic with Passport internals. Here's to Classic 2 with that, as Passport parts would have been cheap by then. I didn't use many Android apps in the end, as I ran other devices anyway.
    10-22-15 08:47 AM
    Maybe OP should read the reviews before buying another BlackBerry.

If you NEED a PKB then all the other issues are minor. The Classic is OK, just over priced. For that price they should have used some better internals.

Posted via CB10
    wilber1 likes this.
    10-22-15 09:00 AM
    $450 is not that much overpriced. When I had gotten used to paying $600. The frequent lag in the phone response is a little annoying, but overall I like it better than any phone I have had recently.
    BerryRipe and nick13b like this.
    10-22-15 10:44 AM
    Its all in your finger my friend .
    10-22-15 11:03 AM
    The most accurate review I've read.
    The problems he listed with OS10 and BB's failure to fix them has always been the main problem.
    Last edited by Velocitymj; 11-03-15 at 12:44 PM.
    nick13b, Sparksx, JeBe4 and 2 others like this.
    10-22-15 11:16 AM
    Sadly, I'm thinking really hard to drop the classic too, I was with blackberry since the beggining when everyone had one, remember the pearl where all the girls loved it!!
    Now is just for us hard fans but Im just tired of the total slowness, thing that I hate the most is the dial/phone app
    I always loved the trackpad and keyboard and that was the ONLY reason I stayed with them even though there are better phones out there without a doubt, I would buy the Priv if they would've added a toolbelt like the classic at the bottom of the phone, and I understand not everyone of bb fans loves the belt but that is what makes them different, other than it looks like a cheap copy of any other touchphones.. I have a samsung tablet, iphone and ipod and I can do faster stuff with those than with the classic so then you can tell bb love is why we are here.
    Remember BB ruled the world of phones now we are the last
    I'm not really a die hard fan but I wanted a phone with a PKB for a long time. My dad was a bb fan but after the 10.3.x automatic update on his Q10 he got tired of it and also wants to switch. He'll probably take my Classic. I also liked the toolbelt but they messed up with the size of the tracker and the functionality of the answer/end call buttons.

I agree, they should have released the Classic with Passport internals. Here's to Classic 2 with that, as Passport parts would have been cheap by then. I didn't use many Android apps in the end, as I ran other devices anyway.
    Definitely under specced and it's a shame because the phone looks and feels premium. On the other hand, I don't think I'd buy an upgraded Classic because the slowness doesn't bother me as much as the rest of the problems. For a productivity device in a business environment, the core apps like mail, phone and calendar should work flawlessly and be fully featured.

Maybe OP should read the reviews before buying another BlackBerry.
    I read some reviews but people bash at every phone OS/brand because there is no perfect or bugfree OS. The matter is highly subjective because different people have different needs, so reviews and comparisons between the 4 major OSs are kind of useless. I've used iOS and Android, I really liked the Classic and wanted a PKB, so I switched to BB and gave it a try.

If you NEED a PKB then all the other issues are minor. The Classic is OK, just over priced. For that price they should have used some better internals.
    I agree but the Classic could have been a lot more than just a PKB phone and the OS can make up the difference between internals price and retail price. I'd be ok with a slow device that does its job right.

The biggest letdown is that the bugs don't seem hard to fix, but they announced the 10.3.3 for march 2016, not even 10.4. Which makes it clear for me, that they'll never fix half the bugs and the platform is dead. If we had a 10.3.3 by now and an announced 10.4 for next year I'd be patient.
    BerryRipe, Velocitymj and donemt like this.
    10-22-15 11:25 AM
    I can understand your review, but I don't agree with it.
    I just went from iPhone 6.
    And yes sometimes a do miss some off the apps that I had on the iPhone.
    BUT what i have discoverd is that i don't really need all the apps..

I use calander, text and email and webbbrowser and som bank apps.

If you use the phone as a multimedia phone I can understand your frustration over the classic.
    But in my opinion, it's the best work device I've ever had.
    The keyboard is amazing and put that together with the hub and native calander and remember app it works great.

I liked your review, looking forward to see what you think about the priv.

I'm sticking with the classic and never going back to iOS. Except for my iPad

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe, acovey and heraiz like this.
    10-22-15 12:28 PM
    Is there any reason why you use non-native whatsapp app? Cz I there's native version of whatsapp for BlackBerry 10. YouTube, you can use Supertube.

Posted via CB10
    nick13b likes this.
    10-22-15 01:35 PM
    So, 'BlackBerry sucks as a consumer brand'

Where have you been for the last year?

BB is not a consumer brand any more and the Classic is not intended to be a consumer device.

Seems to me that you did not do your homework very well and bought the wrong phone for your consumer needs.

Posted via CB10
    acovey, andy957 and SurajBH like this.
    10-22-15 01:41 PM
    He just laid out the Classic. I do concur we should have had better specs for longevity! All the software issues he stated I experience. My phone dialer wouldn't work it like froze on me I had to turn off my device -_- couldn't make calls. The updates really haven't been "updates" as brilliant as some minds are they haven't done much innovation on fine tuning this OS.

It seems RIM has opted for Apps over System OS. Since having system failed to compete with lack of apps. The Classic music Sucks camera Sucks etc. I love it for communication means that's all its good for

J� Be....Here But Gone...
    Sparksx likes this.
    10-22-15 02:25 PM
    I agree about the stock camera. The worst on any smartphone I've owned. However, Camera++ improved it massively. Its an app that costs �2 but it is superb and I'm very happy using the phone as a camera now.
    10-22-15 03:19 PM
    The classic is perfect.

Everybody knows that it is a better Q10 so... why complaining if it is slow and so on??

When I bought my first Classic I had a 9900 and a Q10 and I knew perfectly what I could expect from the Classic.

It has BB10, toolbelt and a nice battery, it is a device made for 9900 users.

For work, the Classic is the best BlackBerry 10 device.

Regards
    10-22-15 03:34 PM
    I agree about the stock camera. The worst on any smartphone I've owned. However, Camera++ improved it massively. Its an app that costs �2 but it is superb and I'm very happy using the phone as a camera now.
    Interesting point on the camera, I read not so good reviews on the app Camera++ on the PP but was wondering how it would work on the Classic, any others to confirm?

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 03:43 PM
    @Nimra, well I consider the camera to be the weakest aspect of the Classic, so to have an app that brings it into step with cameras on comparable smartphones, I'm pretty happy with it. Camera++ has many features (useful ones, not dodgy 'try them once and never again' types).

Put it this way; I was so disappointed with the stock camera I was going to buy a second-hand digicam to do the job, but for the cost of this app, its definitely worth a try. Has burst mode, HDR, video and its quick to ready itself for your next shot.
    10-22-15 04:06 PM
    I can understand your review, but I don't agree with it.
    I just went from iPhone 6.
    And yes sometimes a do miss some off the apps that I had on the iPhone.
    BUT what i have discoverd is that i don't really need all the apps..

I use calander, text and email and webbbrowser and som bank apps.

If you use the phone as a multimedia phone I can understand your frustration over the classic.
    But in my opinion, it's the best work device I've ever had.
    The keyboard is amazing and put that together with the hub and native calander and remember app it works great.

I liked your review, looking forward to see what you think about the priv.

I'm sticking with the classic and never going back to iOS. Except for my iPad

Posted via CB10
    The past month I've been using a Galaxy S3 (CM10), an iPhone 4 (iOS 6 without any app updates) and an iPhone 6s to decide on the replacement platform. All of them worked at least as fast as the Classic.

I use only 4 extra apps ATM (Todoist, Uber, Flipboard, Signal) and I don't consider them mandatory. But it's hard for me to ignore the fact that, the apps I use on BB are a lot faster on other platforms and the core factory apps are buggy. The first month owning the BB I was certain that I'm gonna have this phone till the day I die, but in time all the little issues eroded the excitement. I'm going to keep the phone and install 10.3.3 on launch day in hopes that all this stuff has been fixed.

For media consumption I also use an iPad because it IS the best tablet, hands down. Enjoy the Classic and may it work better than mine did !

Is there any reason why you use non-native whatsapp app? Cz I there's native version of whatsapp for BlackBerry 10. YouTube, you can use Supertube.

Posted via CB10
    My mistake, I meant extra from the pre-installed apps. Yes, I use the native WhatsApp app and SuperTube although I rarely watch videos on the phone. I find it a bit embarassing because it's like they're saying: nobody wants to make one and we won't so here's a shortcut and I hope you won't notice.

So, 'BlackBerry sucks as a consumer brand'

Where have you been for the last year?

BB is not a consumer brand any more and the Classic is not intended to be a consumer device.

Seems to me that you did not do your homework very well and bought the wrong phone for your consumer needs.

Posted via CB10
    The device is on the consumer market and it can be bought by anyone. It's not available for companies exclusively and I honestly don't think that, by not being consumer friendly, it means they can have bugs in the OS and the built-in apps. Are you suggesting that we should all just stop buying BB phones because they are for companies only?

I'm sure that most of us here on CB10 are using it as a "consumer device" and my "consumer needs" are not about playing Minecraft on the phone.

He just laid out the Classic. I do concur we should have had better specs for longevity! All the software issues he stated I experience. My phone dialer wouldn't work it like froze on me I had to turn off my device -_- couldn't make calls. The updates really haven't been "updates" as brilliant as some minds are they haven't done much innovation on fine tuning this OS.

It seems RIM has opted for Apps over System OS. Since having system failed to compete with lack of apps. The Classic music Sucks camera Sucks etc. I love it for communication means that's all its good for

J� Be....Here But Gone...
    What's up with the music app? It's like a desperate ex-girlfriend, always starts when I connect it to the car's bluetooth, no matter what I'm doing on the phone.
    10-22-15 04:17 PM
    @ One Brain Cell - thanks for the input, I was not yet using the camera on the Classic that much and / but had very good experience with the Q10 camera! ... which I thought should be the same...

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 04:18 PM
    My Z10 has acceptable speed. I wonder if the tool belt OS changes contributed to some slowness.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 05:16 PM
    I strongly agree with everything you mentioned and more. Simply this phone has a lot more to be desired.
    10-22-15 10:18 PM
    <sarkasm>But I heard that BB10 is greatest OS and Classic is greatest phone ever!</sarkasm>

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 02:46 AM
    DeleteI don't know I
    10-23-15 04:57 AM
    I love how everything is so "matter of fact." Everything is subjective. I've tried all of the platforms and I prefer BB10. YOU may not be faster on the Classic than the others doesn't mean it's not possible. Between most of my friends and I, I ALWAYS find things and get things done faster on my Classic than they do on their Androids and iPhones. I simply know how to make use of all of the shortcuts. I never go through conventional avenues to do anything. Everything is done through shortcuts and universal search (which unfortunately has gotten slower since the BB Assistant, but still I get to things faster than my friends do). Not to mention how often I type without looking at the phone and other things I do without having to look at my phone. Like skip songs using the volume rockers while it's in my holster, answer or hang up calls without taking my eyes off what I'm doing, etc.

But anyway, you're entitled to your opinion. Obviously if you're more efficient with an Android or iPhone, use them, every system has their own strengths and weaknesses so it's up to where your priorities are that should determine which would work best for you. There is no "best" OS. I just find it a bit hilarious all of the pompous circle jerk comments going on in here. You guys are so cute...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-23-15 07:52 AM
    The Classic is awful if you really rely on Android apps. I use Instagram, Spotify, Google Maps and Pocket multiple times a day and they are huge battery drains - not to mention obscenely long load times for a 2014 device, frequent freezes and sometimes even packet loss when streaming (Spotify) probably due to lack of RAM to process it. I think someone else said only one of the cores of the phone's CPU is accessible to Android applications, which explains how laggy they are. That said, apart from those usages I try to stay native as much as possible. Slicktasks isn't a bad todo list, native messaging apps (Whatsapp, Facebook, Wechat, Google Talk) all work fine and hub email syncronization works great.

A couple of other notes:

-The Classic's use case has to revolve around IM/emails. If you aren't spending 90% of your time on it typing things up and communicating, you bought the wrong phone. Instagram, photography, videos, Vine, Snapchat (well, it doesn't even load) are all really poor experiences on this phone. I bought an iPad mini to work as a second "phone" for all my other needs.

-If touch-typing ever made you avoid writing an email or responding to someone's inquiry or messages, you should at least consider a PKB device. If the size of the Passport seems silly to you, then the Classic is your only option. It's not that it's a great phone and there are many things wrong with it, but it has virtually no competitors for the niche space it occupies. I used to dodge replying to emails that were semi-urgent, or responding in very short, terse and unprofessional tones due to my weakness in typing on glass, so I'm willing to put up with a very poor app/modern smartphone experience to get more done in a workday. If that sounds like you...ask yourself whether you can possibly substitute media consumption with another device.

-I agree that the core calendar and the contacts applications are not good. iOS has third party organizers that do it better (I use Sunrise and Inbox on them). Blend is nice, but I don't have a modern enough iPad to fully take advantage of it - I think split screen multitasking is where it could really shine.

-The leather pocket loosens up after a while. You just have to get use to how to grip your phone and pull it out. Mine was tight for the first couple of weeks and now it's become smooth entry/exit.

-The Priv is nice (and very expensive), but I've gotten so used to BB10 and all it's quirks and workarounds that I'm not quite ready to leave yet.
    10-23-15 01:19 PM
    Good review. Same findings here and a few more...I keep classic in a OtterBox and have sent back three times 1) dead keys 2) screen dead pixels 3) broke spacebar

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 02:31 PM
146 123 ...