I noticed this the other day. I'm not sure if it turns off because the battery is low or not. But, the keyboard light turns off randomly. If I reset the phone, it'll come back on, but I don't want to have to keep doing that. Has anyone else had this problem?

TJ Strozier of Astronomic Music Group
    madman0141 likes this.
    05-25-15 09:24 PM
    Phone?
    05-26-15 05:39 AM
    BlackBerry Classic

05-26-15 07:43 AM
    Like most phone, the Classic has an ambient light sensor. If it detects low light, the keyboard will light up. Vice versa in sun light. Try to use your phone in a dark room and see what happens. If it doesn't light up, you may need a fresh install of the OS. I doubt it's hardware related

Posted via CB10
    TJ Strozier likes this.
    05-26-15 05:17 PM
    It works most of the time. But, sometimes, it shuts off and doesn't come back on even in low lighted areas. I'll check and see what it does tonight when I get home and let you know. Thanks.

05-26-15 07:53 PM
    It works most of the time. But, sometimes, it shuts off and doesn't come back on even in low lighted areas. I'll check and see what it does tonight when I get home and let you know. Thanks.

That's weird. I was gonna say it had something to do with the ambient light sensor as well. Did you recently load an OS? But yeah, basic rule is to restart. Fixes most issues. Haha.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 09:36 PM
    Your battery wouldn't last as long if it were on all the time (though it is your battery and if you want to waste it, you should be able to set the keyboard to always be lit up).

But the light sensor is to the left of the earpiece, so if you keep that covered (or darkened), your keyboard light will be on (and your screen will be dimmer).
    05-27-15 12:17 AM
    That's weird. I was gonna say it had something to do with the ambient light sensor as well. Did you recently load an OS? But yeah, basic rule is to restart. Fixes most issues. Haha.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I had to reload the software as soon as I got it. Other than the issue with the keyboard, I haven't had any issues. The keyboard light also hasn't been turning off either.

05-27-15 08:56 AM
    I have had the same issue dating back to Bold 9650 and on my 9930. I don't think it is a failure of the system but rather the limit of the system since it is a physical keyboard rather than a touch screen. But I could be proven wrong.
    TJ Strozier likes this.
    05-27-15 09:13 AM