I don't have those gaps. My Classic is quite gorgeous and has a premium look. Probably should exchange urs. Sux.

Posted via Classic
    01-20-15 10:35 PM
    Wow that's some gap. Couldn't believe it till I saw that pic. I couldn't deal with that. Some of us got lucky.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 12:12 AM
    Here you go. I wish I had a macro lens to get better close-up pictures, but I think you can still see the openings where the light comes through. In one picture you will see the gap between the toolbelt and the screen, while the other one shows more of the problem around the keys. The gaps are all over, and with each tilt of the phone some become more visible than the others.

By the way, in case you are wondering, the screen in the first picture is not cracked. It's actually a wallpaper from Ziro which I got from one of his recent threads. I took the second picture with a black wallpaper to show the screen is not cracked!

Attachment 328614
    Attachment 328615
    Thanks for uploading
    Yes unfortunately the gap between the screen and toolbelt is big and awful....
    The small keyboard bleeding you have, i think its normal but the gab is not good at all....
    I only have a very small keyboard bleeding , but thank God no gap at all between screen and toolbelt
    In my opinion send it back .
    01-21-15 12:22 AM
    Yup, I am going to return it (it will be the first BB10 device I have ever returned due to the quality problems - I have had six!). Will continue to use my reliable and fantastic Q10/Z30 combo for now, waiting until the dust settles and they fix the initial assembly issues. I am going to miss the keyboard though (not the gaps, of course). If anything, the Classic is a typing machine!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-21-15 05:28 AM
    Here you go. I wish I had a macro lens to get better close-up pictures, but I think you can still see the openings where the light comes through. In one picture you will see the gap between the toolbelt and the screen, while the other one shows more of the problem around the keys. The gaps are all over, and with each tilt of the phone some become more visible than the others.

By the way, in case you are wondering, the screen in the first picture is not cracked. It's actually a wallpaper from Ziro which I got from one of his recent threads. I took the second picture with a black wallpaper to show the screen is not cracked!

Attachment 328614
    Attachment 328615
    Where did you get that "cracked screen" wallpaper?
    01-21-15 10:37 AM
    Agree with most: get it exchanged, you had a bad unit.
    Regarding Blend, be sure you've not enabled "use cell network" for devices connection (within device Blend settings) ... unless you want it, of course.
    01-21-15 10:53 AM
    Agree with most: get it exchanged, you had a bad unit.
    Regarding Blend, be sure you've not enabled "use cell network" for devices connection (within device Blend settings) ... unless you want it, of course.
    No, it was off. But, I have since disabled the "Blend", and the battery seems to have settled as a result. Not sure why it was draining the battery so fast, even though the phone was sitting idle. Anyway, the battery seems fine now with Blend off. Looks like it should have no problem lasting a full day now, which is a good sign.

The keyboard is such a joy to type on though. I am sure I would have loved this phone if it didn't have the gap problem. I definitely see myself getting another one some day. With all the reports of people having noticed a similar issue to some degree in their new Classic phones, I have no doubt BB will do something about it. I guess that would be a good time to buy another one!
    Observer2 likes this.
    01-21-15 11:11 AM
    Where did you get that "cracked screen" wallpaper?
    Here you go. It was posted by Ziro in one of his threads. I am sure he doesn't mind sharing it, because he posted it in that thread for the interested people to use.

My gripes about Classic!-passport-wallpaper-001.jpeg
    01-21-15 11:33 AM
    The classic lol
    01-21-15 11:39 AM
    Yup, I am going to return it (it will be the first BB10 device I have ever returned due to the quality problems - I have had six!). Will continue to use my reliable and fantastic Q10/Z30 combo for now, waiting until the dust settles and they fix the initial assembly issues. I am going to miss the keyboard though (not the gaps, of course). If anything, the Classic is a typing machine!
    I posted in another thread that, as a member had said the Classics were all made by Foxconn, that hopefully all production issues of having them made in multiple countries might be a thing of the past ; obviously not.
    As with the Q10 battery problem, which many of us have, when you pay a lot of money, you hope for a quality device. I hope number two is better.
    01-21-15 12:10 PM

Attachment 328614
    Attachment 328615
    I think you should be more worried about that cracked screen....
    01-21-15 12:33 PM
    I posted in another thread that, as a member had said the Classics were all made by Foxconn, that hopefully all production issues of having them made in multiple countries might be a thing of the past ; obviously not.
    As with the Q10 battery problem, which many of us have, when you pay a lot of money, you hope for a quality device. I hope number two is better.
    I was kinf of worried that the quality coming out of Foxconn may not be the same as previous BlackBerrys, but was not expecting this. I just hope that mine was a one off, but since some others have also reported similar gaps, makes me wonder whether lower than normal quality from Foxconn will be something we have to live with as a common thing in the future. Not good!
    01-21-15 12:56 PM
    I think you should be more worried about that cracked screen....
    Not sure if you were joking, but if not, see Post 38.
    AL8x B likes this.
    01-21-15 12:58 PM
    You have everything on? Location, bluetooth, screen brightness > 50%, non-battery save mode, facebook and other apps?

I bought mine a week ago. I fully charged it after opening the box (was 40% chg'd). At low power mode + 4G (non-LTE) + wifi (90% of the time) + ~ 60 min phone call, 1 hr email+texting/surfing. I got around nearly 2 days of battery life

Today I am trying reg power mode, 40% screen light, bluetooth on, location off, 4G (non-LTE). Started at 100% at 8AM and at 2PM it's around 77% battery after 15 min talk, 30 min email + tax, downloaded 10 apps + 90% wifi.

No light leak on my keypad / trackpad belt.
    Last edited by JL009; 01-21-15 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typos
    01-21-15 01:13 PM
    The worry for me is that Blackberry do not seem to exercise quality control over their own devices. They know that many diehards will buy them out of love for their phones and that loyalty persists even when the product is not up to standard for the price.
    The Q10, with the battery problem, was first posted about in June 2013,yet my May 2014 device still had the same fault. Do they not take any notice of these complaints over a period of time like that? It would appear not;shame.
    01-21-15 02:47 PM
    The worry for me is that Blackberry do not seem to exercise quality control over their own devices. They know that many diehards will buy them out of love for their phones and that loyalty persists even when the product is not up to standard for the price.
    The Q10, with the battery problem, was first posted about in June 2013,yet my May 2014 device still had the same fault. Do they not take any notice of these complaints over a period of time like that? It would appear not;shame.
    I find it worrisome that so many folks are complaining of poor build quality with the Classic. I know BlackBerry is focusing on Services and Enterprise, but sheesh! If you're going to make phones, and even if you only sell 7 million of them in a full year, at least make them well!

I had several Q10's and never had an issue with any of them as far as build quality. I was amazed at the fit and feel. And my batteries lasted all day - longer than on my Nokia Lumia Icon or iPhones.
    01-21-15 04:00 PM
    You have everything on? Location, bluetooth, screen brightness > 50%, non-battery save mode, facebook and other apps?
    No, nothing like that. The problem was the Blend. Battery has been fine since I turned it off. No more battery issues.
    01-21-15 04:18 PM
    No, nothing like that. The problem was the Blend. Battery has been fine since I turned it off. No more battery issues.
    I use Blend and has never had a battery issue due to it...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    01-21-15 04:26 PM
    I have a passport & blend accounts for 0.03% over the 48hour battery usage ...something is wrong with your thing ...I would suggest you uninstall blend and reinstall it from a trusted official blackberry source ...same with your desktop too !!
    I received my Classic a couple of days ago. I was initially very excited to get my hands on one, but the excitement turned into disappointment fairly quickly. Here is a quick rundown of why:

1. As reported by a few people in other threads, there are gaps between the keys and also between the toolbelt and the screen. I first noticed it when typing at night, when I noticed the keyboard back light was coming through the gaps. But after close inspection, I could even see the gaps in daylight. Pretty poor quality assembly control, if you ask me. Feels cheap just because of that.

2. The back cover grip is okay, but feels more plasticy than I had expected. Between this and the gaps mentioned above, the general feeling I get is that it is a cheaply made phone, even though it feels heavy and sturdy. My Q10 feels to be of a much higher quality, overall.

3. The battery has been horrible the first couple of days. Yes, I know, I should let it settle for a few days, but I then noticed it was from the Blend (see the attached screen shot). I have disconnected Blend altogether, so, I am hoping the problem is solved. I understand that this might be a software issue, but nonetheless, it is happening on the Classic.

On a positive note, the feel of the keyboard is great, and I can type much faster on it than my Q10. The screen is also descent and a good size. But, I just can't overlook the cheap feeling mentioned above.

Attachment 328511
    01-21-15 05:49 PM
    that's not good ...I have a passport & no bleeding or fit troubles ...I am sure I could not get a human hair between the keys & screen all around ...may need replacement IMHO...

Thanks for uploading
    Yes unfortunately the gap between the screen and toolbelt is big and awful....
    The small keyboard bleeding you have, i think its normal but the gab is not good at all....
    I only have a very small keyboard bleeding , but thank God no gap at all between screen and toolbelt
    In my opinion send it back .
    01-21-15 05:52 PM
    It wouldn't be a "Classic" if there wasn't a tool belt gap to the screen. Just like yesteryear.
    01-21-15 09:31 PM
    Aha. Just when 10.3 came along and narrowed the app gap, a new gap appears
    The Lord giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other....
    VeryBumpy likes this.
    01-22-15 12:54 AM
    I also have such a gap between the toolbelt and the screen. It is slightly bigger on the right side and it almost looks, if light comes in at the right angle, as I could slightly look behind toolbelt and screen. I am not too happy about it either, that is for sure.

On a slightly different topic, I just had to pick up and use my Q10 for half a day when my Classic's battery died on an unusually long and busy day. I do not think the Q10 had any build quality problems. It feels nice and solid, no visible gaps, no light bleeds. The only thing I kind of dislike is the way they designed the battery cover, which tends to loose up when you're a user of the leather pocket. I'd go so far and say the Q10 is superiour in terms of build quality, yet I have to say the Classic somehow feels better.

After almost two years, the Q10 still has it's very own appeal, thanks to the all black design, that nice glass weave, the compact dimensions as well as the missing toolbelt.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 02:22 AM
    ......I'd go so far and say the Q10 is superiour in terms of build quality, yet I have to say the Classic somehow feels better.
    Posted via CB10....
    I feel the same. I prefer doing things on the Classic, but don't feel it's a high quality device (like my Q10, or even the Z10)! I have heard comments that Classic is not supposed be as high of a quality, but still, I don't want a phone that feels cheap, certainly not from BlackBerry! I can't wait to see a high quality Classic. I will buy it regardless of the price!
    01-22-15 04:09 AM
    Aha. Just when 10.3 came along and narrowed the app gap, a new gap appears
    The Lord giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other....
    That's funny! Good one!
    01-22-15 04:10 AM
65 123