Hi guys,

I've recently picked up a Blackberry Classic - this is my first physical keyboard Blackberry, in fact my first physical keyboard smartphone at all. (My prior phone was a Z10, and before that an iPhone 3GS)

I'm looking forward to using it - it looks and feels gorgeous (though I'm surprised by its size!) though do you pros have any advice on where and how to get started and making the most of it?

I will of course make sure to read properly the Crackberry review and follow any relevant links, but any advice that you think needs to get out there?

Thanks guys!
    03-23-15 10:51 AM
    You're already familiar with BB10 but i'd study this: (or something similar)
    The definitive listing of BlackBerry Classic keyboard shortcuts | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Probably no need to learn them ALL at once. Just pick a couple at a time and learn to incorporate in your flow. Once hooked on pkb shortcuts, speed dial, track nav, etc... you just might never feel "right" without them again. ENJOY!!
    Xenolock likes this.
    03-23-15 11:44 AM
    Hi guys,

I've recently picked up a Blackberry Classic - this is my first physical keyboard Blackberry, in fact my first physical keyboard smartphone at all. (My prior phone was a Z10, and before that an iPhone 3GS)

I'm looking forward to using it - it looks and feels gorgeous (though I'm surprised by its size!) though do you pros have any advice on where and how to get started and making the most of it?

I will of course make sure to read properly the Crackberry review and follow any relevant links, but any advice that you think needs to get out there?

Thanks guys!
    What about the experience switching from the Z10 to the #BlackBerryClassic?

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 01:45 PM
    Lean the keyboard shortcuts...and make some of your own. That will change your life. Make the most of that keyboard.
    idssteve and Xenolock like this.
    03-23-15 02:01 PM
    The keyboard shortcuts are a great place to start, especially with the browser. You can use Space to move down on the page, Shift-Space to move up on the page, R to enter reader mode, L to refresh the page, W to open the tabs bar, K to open your bookmarks, and H to open your history.

From the lock screen, instead of swiping you can press U followed by Enter to unlock your phone.

There are plenty of additional shortcuts, the best thing I could recommend would be to read the listing of shortcuts that idssteve posted above.

Another feature I would recommend using is text completion/substitution. You can add your own shortcuts there which can save you time when typing text, for example you can set a shortcut for hru which will change to "How are you?". More information on setting up your own text shortcuts can be found here.

As far as getting used to using the keyboard, it'll take a couple of days but the more you type on it the easier it'll get.

Enjoy your new BlackBerry Classic!
    03-23-15 03:00 PM
    Zeridialous, how do you setup text completion? I've search on the phone with no results.
    03-23-15 03:43 PM
    My fave shortcut is U for unread messages in Hub. Enjoy!

Posted via Classic
    weirdstuff likes this.
    03-23-15 03:52 PM
    Zeridialous, how do you setup text completion? I've search on the phone with no results.
    Settings -> Language and Input -> Predictions and Correction -> Word Substitution -> Add Shortcut

Go to town with it; it's a very useful feature.

From a Classic
    Zeridialous and weirdstuff like this.
    03-23-15 05:13 PM
    Hey there!

All I can advise you is:

1.) Setup and customize your short cuts.

2.) get used to it (might take some days to remember you got that function).

3.) Enjoy that you don't wanna live without that again.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 03:06 AM
    My advice : keep typing

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.1.1154
    weirdstuff likes this.
    03-24-15 08:56 AM
    If not already, you might soon discover why "thumbs up" holds particularly special meaning for some BB hard cores. A significant vendor for my company has recently transitioned their company from iOS to Classics. They are THRILLED with their choice. One thing my guys had to show them, tho, is to forget their fingers. BB's pkb works best with thumbs. Particularly properly trimmed thumbnails. At least that's our approach. Once they took to that, and learned to thumb the trackpad and toolbelt instead of reaching for the screen, they've entered a whole new universe of efficient productivity AND confidence in that productivity. Now, like us, they're re-discovering single handed use. While writing notes, eating, etc... Some still carry their iPhones as "security blankets" but most are confidently inseparable from their Classics... A GOOD addiction!

Edit: That company's management maintains the learning curve was "almost imperceptible". Her words. It looked like they were solidly into it after a few days, to me. Still very good, IMO. .
    Last edited by idssteve; 03-24-15 at 10:32 AM.
    03-24-15 10:15 AM
    Other tips?... Might wanna learn to find "answer" and "end" keys by feel.

"P" has always been easiest for me to locate, by feel, for the most used speed dial. Just more thoughts.
    03-24-15 11:16 AM
    Thanks guys! I've started using shortcuts, will take a while a think to become automatic. Also learning to double thumb type rather than single finger type...

Took me a few hours to realise that you didn't have to press alt or shift along with the character, was thinking typing 7 was quite tricky!

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 02:17 AM
    I like scrolling through the browser and apps by hitting Space button and press T to go TOP and B to go to BOTTOM

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    03-26-15 02:34 AM
    Thanks guys! I've started using shortcuts, will take a while a think to become automatic. Also learning to double thumb type rather than single finger type...

Took me a few hours to realise that you didn't have to press alt or shift along with the character, was thinking typing 7 was quite tricky!

Posted via CB10
    I'll bet that was maddening! Lol. Alt then left shift locks into numlock. Alt then right shift locks into capslock. Either shift key unlocks.

Several apps support "I" for zoom in and O for zoom out. I find it simpler than "pinch". Especially single handed. Might have been mentioned already but N for next page/photo and P for previous page/photo are frequently handy.

Natural muscle memory will soon take care of itself. Your thumbs will soon learn the feel of each individual key. I rarely look at the keyboard itself, these days, permitting real time focus on what's being typed on the screen itself. You'll soon find yourself efficiently multitasking in surprising ways!
    weirdstuff likes this.
    03-26-15 06:22 AM
    Hi guys,

Thanks guys!
    My advice would be to try using the keyboard and toolbelt as much as possible. Yes, it has a touchscreen, but it is designed such that there are multiple ways to do the same thing, either through the screen, though the toolbelt or through the keyboard, and you will be most productive as long as your fingers stay along the bottom of the screen. Your fingers should rarely stray from there. Here lies the learning curve but once you get used to it you'll bee much better off.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 07:13 AM