My IT Dept. has switched to Nokia Window based phones and Apple's. They say they cannot support a Blackberry Classic because it requires a "Blackberry Server" like in the old days and they won't do that for one employee.
    I heard that's not true anymore so how do I convince my IT guys otherwise?
    Please help.
    Diehard Blackberry Fan.
    05-16-15 03:27 AM
    You can certainly use a blackberry without BES. However it might not be compatible with all mdm. They just don't want you to have a blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 03:50 AM
    You can certainly use a blackberry without BES. However it might not be compatible with all mdm. They just don't want you to have a blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    It could also be just a case of ignorance. Many people don't understand that BlackBerry 10 is significantly different from BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-16-15 05:27 AM
    You can use it like an iPhone

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 06:12 AM
    Do you work for MySpace?
    05-16-15 08:17 AM
    BlackBerry is like the Russian Rasputin. As hated as loved by a section.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 08:18 AM
    how do I convince my IT guys otherwise?
    Ask him to take 1 minute to use his beloved iPhone and google it.

Tell him he's confusing the old operating system with the new one that came out over 2 years ago that requires no server or connection from BlackBerry.

Better yet, point him to this thread.
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-16-15 08:25 AM
    Since BlackBerry is so "Enterprise Focused" how about they get out there and educate companies as to their new OS. It is painfully obvious that many companies still think that they are the same old BlackBerry. Whose fault is that?

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 08:49 AM
    Since BlackBerry is so "Enterprise Focused" how about they get out there and educate companies as to their new OS. It is painfully obvious that many companies still think that they are the same old BlackBerry. Whose fault is that?

Posted via CB10
    They'd loose money if they did that. They could put videos on their website but that won't get the companies to view them either. We use MDM at the hospital as well as 2 factor authentication and I just get phone calls instead of using the app they made which is for android/iphone. I don't want to install the android app - so that's my choice. When I log in from outside the university I just get a phone call stating I need to press certain keys to validate my login. Not really a big deal since I don't need to log into the vpn at the house often and get all my email on the phone using activesync. So when I swap phones I have to keep informing the email exchange admin to add the new IMEI so I can get emails.
    05-16-15 08:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    They do "get out there and educate companies " but they can't meet with EVERYONE. And then there is always those few who will be anti BlackBerry just because they can.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 09:01 AM
    OP - if your company email is Microsoft Exchange based, then your BlackBerry Classic (and all BB 10 devices) works using EAS (Exchange Active Sync). This is how any Apple or Android devices are also communicating with your company email server.

This requires nothing extra for your company to purchase - all they have to do is provide you with the data you need to configure the email account on your device.

if your company supports Windows devices, I would bet that your email system is Exchange based.

If your company email is not Exchange based, then you would configure your device email account for IMAP or POP - and again, this costs your company nothing.

Z10 /3 - 10.3.2.500 - AT&T (posted via CB10)
    05-16-15 09:20 AM
    Although it may work, perhaps they are using an enterprise management package like Mobile Iron which supports IOS, Android and Windows phone. Last I checked BB OS was not supported.
    05-16-15 10:01 AM