The BlackBerry Classic was full of anticipation but soon became nearly useless as an everyday device after its decline in apps support. Also, with the introduction of BlackBerry Android devices, general software support ended almost immediately to the dismay of many diehard users.

I'm still extremely disappointed by the very short lifespan and usefulness of the Classic. However, in anticipation of its early demise I moved to the DTEK50 as my main device. This migration served well to ween off BlackBerry OS 10 and as a gradual intro to Android "powered and secured" by BlackBerry. For a while it seemed to be working fairly well but soon there were major performance issues due to a low-grade CPU, 3GB RAM and 16GB of internal storage. I tried several options including adding and merging external storage to supplement internal storage. That unfortunately didn't work as expected, often resulting in irretrievable data loss and totally unusable media cards. In absence of this option, performance slowed down even further to the point where the device became quite frustrating to use.

Eventually, I reluctantly decided to move on to a Samsung Galaxy S8 DUOS since the KeyOne appeared to be not quite optimized for Prime time use. The Key2, whilst enhanced and apparently more promising, was still several months away. When it became available it was too pricey for its features when compared with the Samsung Galaxy S8, except perhaps for, still questionable, security features which can't be easily measured by the average user. Nevertheless, during that time, the DTEK50 and Classic remained as optional backup devices. I often carried around the Classic as memorabilia and for making quick, emergency calls only. Unfortunately, the builtin battery died recently, oozing out dark liquid as if weeping in sorrow, symbolizing the end of a short era that should have been filled with much higher expectations of a Bolder future and more daring adventure. Sadly, the Classic just died in my hands without putting up or enjoying a good fight. My beleaguered but faithful Z10 STL100-1 is once again my emergency backup device in case the S8 is lost or becomes unusable. So there's still some small hope left in me on using BlackBerry in future.

There's more of my BlackBerry story which can be found elsewhere in the forums.
    Last edited by Winstorm; 03-07-19 at 07:12 PM.
    03-07-19 06:58 PM
    I have been in classic since it was launched and what year is now? my battery is still intact it never change at all simply never been open and it runs 1 and half day with data or wifi on and installed some apk files ..isn't awesome..right? BTW i just know how to optimize battery..and most this is my DAILY DRIVER ..i have KEY2 just for games !! Believe it or Not.. GOD BLESS uS ALL
    bb9900user2018 and elfabio80 like this.
    03-08-19 05:11 AM
    Good luck to you! You're either an expert at optimizing your battery or lucky to have a good one. Not sure if you'll want to replace the battery or entire phone when it fails, eventually!

I must admit, though, whilst the Classic was my best daily driver for a brief period, I had to make some hard decisions about BlackBerry devices. I still have a beleagured Z10 STL100-1 always powered up and on standby with 2 batteries but when those fail, that's the end of all as well. Perhaps, my Classic was grieving and suffering from lack of use when I neglected her for my new Galaxy S8. The battery simply bleed or cried and died in dispear. However, it's really not worth replacing the battery, anyway. So my Classic is now dead forever and doomed to the old gadgets heap. That's a sad chapter in history, unfortunately. Actually, it happened a long time ago when BlackBerry OS 10 ceased Moving On and apps support grounded to a halt.

Nevertheless, there's no love lost for me in technology's failed devices. I will simply adapt to the best new ones and continue with life as usual. In the meantime, I'm still looking forward to the best tech in BlackBerry or any other brand for that matter that's within reasonably good value for money and functionality.
    03-08-19 08:37 AM
    I feel the pain as I moved off of blackberry devices as well. it was leaving an old friend in the past, sad, but nessary as life moves on. I had posted earlier of my late wife's blackberry moving on in the same manner, then mine soon after. there were pictures and a couple saved voice mails on those phones. but I chose however to let them go as I had to let her go. never forgotten, but time does move us forward.
    03-10-19 07:53 PM
    I'm sorry for your loss, bakkenstrong.

I feel the pain as I moved off of blackberry devices as well. it was leaving an old friend in the past, sad, but nessary as life moves on. I had posted earlier of my late wife's blackberry moving on in the same manner, then mine soon after. there were pictures and a couple saved voice mails on those phones. but I chose however to let them go as I had to let her go. never forgotten, but time does move us forward.

Posted with my Classic, SQC100-3/10.3.3.3204
    03-11-19 02:31 AM
    it's ok, life moves on and phones die. ecosystens change and with it all we must as well
    when blackberry comes up with something more compact( likely never I'll admit) then I'll come back!
    03-11-19 08:20 PM
    Oh dear - I wasn't talking about your phone. :-(

it's ok, life moves on and phones die. ecosystens change and with it all we must as well
    when blackberry comes up with something more compact( likely never I'll admit) then I'll come back!

03-13-19 01:20 AM
    I realize that and the sentents are appreciated and respected. My wife's passing and the phones passing I guess are metaphors of things gone by and never coming back.
    life's very good for me and I'm rocking a LG g7 and a iPhone x
    , and yep I do miss bb10 but it is what it is.
    to all those who bemoan bb10s demise I sympathize yet can't wait to see what bb has in store for the future!
    03-13-19 09:02 AM
    I'm really hoping that Samsung has started a trend towards having at least one smaller, yet full-featured device with its latest offerings. I will probably always think BB10 is the best mobile OS, but as I said in another thread, if someone were to build a high quality Q10-size keyboarded device that ran Android, I'd probably buy 2 of them, just to have a spare.

I realize that and the sentents are appreciated and respected. My wife's passing and the phones passing I guess are metaphors of things gone by and never coming back.
    life's very good for me and I'm rocking a LG g7 and a iPhone x
    , and yep I do miss bb10 but it is what it is.
    to all those who bemoan bb10s demise I sympathize yet can't wait to see what bb has in store for the future!

03-14-19 02:29 AM