12-23-14 09:39 AM
    The lack of a pullout battery is something I can't understand. I had a q10 and went back to the 9900, which I still have. I feel like I can't go more then a few days without a problem that requires a battery pull to fix.
    I've been waiting for the classic for a long time now, yet the reviews have me second guessing if I should get it. I probably should have kept the q10 when I got it a year or two ago since it seems like that's where I'm going to wind up....

It really sucks that my 9900 doesn't cut it anymore but no one has made a decent phone with a keyboard to replace it (Blackberry peaked with the 9000, I'd love a modern phone of that quality). I would just have to get a Iphone with one of the keyboard cases but the email service just doesn't compare.
    12-26-14 01:53 PM
    The lack of a pullout battery is something I can't understand. I had a q10 and went back to the 9900, which I still have. I feel like I can't go more then a few days without a problem that requires a battery pull to fix.
    I've been waiting for the classic for a long time now, yet the reviews have me second guessing if I should get it. I probably should have kept the q10 when I got it a year or two ago since it seems like that's where I'm going to wind up....

It really sucks that my 9900 doesn't cut it anymore but no one has made a decent phone with a keyboard to replace it (Blackberry peaked with the 9000, I'd love a modern phone of that quality). I would just have to get a Iphone with one of the keyboard cases but the email service just doesn't compare.
    Battery pulls were necessary on BBOS because of the architecture of the system and memory leaks. Battery pulls won't do anything a reboot won't do on a modern OS like bb10. There's also hard resets too (I think on bb10. Never had to do one)

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 09:04 PM
    � and I am very disappointed with it. Don�t get me wrong it is a solid device and you probably can be more productive with it than compared to the Q10 BECAUSE of the tool belt. I am a big fan of the tool belt BUT

(-) It is way too big, the size factor is not right for a blackberry. Instead of being slim, small and smart it is huge, heavy and also smart (of course).

(-) The backside is crap. It looks sooo cheap and it feels even cheaper. Sry, but this really is a no-go. Why not use the backcover of the Q10 or the Passport? Why make it cheap? I don�t get it Blackberry!?!

(+) I love the silver bezel. Blackberry did a good job with reintroducing that.

Concluding: Form factor is poor, too big, too fat and the backside looks and feels cheap. If this device was 15 to 20 % smaller and the backcover was made of a solid material � I would love this device.*

And some other issues:

(-) I miss the Q10 amoled display. Or, why did Blackberry didn�t increase the resolution like with the Passport? Why give the classic user the impression, he is just a second-class Blackberry user compared to the Passport user?

(-) Trackpad. It is (substantially) smaller and it feels somewhat different from the trackpads I am used to (Bold 9900, 9790).

(-) non removable battery. Not a huge issue for me, but I don�t know why they didn�t go for that.

I am a Blackberry loyalist and I really love their phones. I loved the torch, the bold 9900, bold 9790 and the Q10 (after a period of time adapting to it). But I don�t know why Blackberry is producing such a phone like the classic. It is not a high end phone, it is just a misguided reproduction of the Q10 with a tool-belt. You made perfect phones Blackberry: the Bold 9900 and the Q10? Why not mix those tow and make an even better phone? But the classic is a huge disappointment. If I want a huge phone, I would go for the Passport.

And the thing that really offends me and annoys me: Producing a high end phone like the Passport and then hand a phone with the specs from yesterday to a classic blackberry user. This is really insulting!!!*

Sry Blackberry, but I hope you do better with your next QWERTY.

Posted via CB10
    You are right. The problem of you is choosing Classic rather than Passport. The major difference between these two is not only the size, but innovative thinking. In some way, I fully agree with somebody said, the BlackBerry will die if Classic sell good. You can't be survived by living in history.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 02:37 AM
    I agree with the OP.

I don't understand the Classic overall concept, and when I see the price (only $100 less than the Passport) I think it is a bad joke.

I would understand a Classic with Passport like specs, but not such an outdated device. This move in terms of marketing is killing the device in lots of reviews.

On top of that, comparing the Classic against the Passport, it has a worse screen, less RAM, less internal storage, lack of capacitive keyboard, less battery, worse SoC... and only costs $100 less? I am surprised that people buy it, really.

I know that Chen is a smart guy, and maybe this move has some kind of logic behind, but I am not able to get it, sorry. BlackBerry needs to move away from the technology dinosaur that people think they are and offer fresh and advanced products in order to survive. If only they had installed a 801 Snapdragon instead of the aging S4, we would be talking about different things.

 Z10 - 10.3.1.1151
    12-29-14 03:13 AM
    Stop comparing it to the passport. Compare it to the 9900. C'mon people how can you be crackberry readers and not get this. It's for the bankers and the government's who don't care about price, they just need to upgrade the 9900's. That's it that's all.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 04:12 AM
    Stop comparing it to the passport. Compare it to the 9900. C'mon people how can you be crackberry readers and not get this. It's for the bankers and the government's who don't care about price, they just need to upgrade the 9900's. That's it that's all.

Posted via CB10
    No, we will not stop comparing because the comparison is logical. Are you saying that bankers and Government are stupid because they do not care about the price and it is possible to sell them a lemon with keyboard?

I (partially) understand the need for Bold users to upgrade, but not at that price for those specs.

This hurts BlackBerry.

 Z10 - 10.3.1.1151
    12-29-14 04:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree with this. Hate to bring up this example, but just because Samsung launches a flagship, it doesn't stop them from producing several mid-range and low-end models.

The reasoning behind this is simple: market saturation while providing a model and price point for every consumer possible. Of course, one could always argue that maybe BlackBerry is in too tight a corner to experiment like this.

Not everyone is going to buy the Passport or the Classic. If anyone feels the Classic isn't an adequate upgrade for the 9900's, seek other alternatives, migrate to other brands or adjust.

We need to be more accommodating nowadays, not throw everything we dislike into the fire after a few tries. That's how we "grow" into technology. Used to swear I'd never get used to typing on glass. Posted this via a Z10...

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 04:45 AM
    Battery pulls were necessary on BBOS because of the architecture of the system and memory leaks. Battery pulls won't do anything a reboot won't do on a modern OS like bb10. There's also hard resets too (I think on bb10. Never had to do one)

Posted via CB10
    Actually they weren't needed in BBOS either, you just had to press 3 buttons in a sequence to reboot.

The difference was BBOS never ever closed an app on you and all apps were fully integrated with each other.

BB10 also has rapidly disappearing RAM, but it has much more if it to play with, BBOS never had such luxuries.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    12-29-14 05:01 AM
    Did u think blackberry was going to make a classic petit and lightweight? It's a upgrade from the 9900.

Based on your observations it is clear a iPhone 6 would be better suitable for you.

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    12-29-14 05:37 AM
    No, we will not stop comparing because the comparison is logical. Are you saying that bankers and Government are stupid because they do not care about the price and it is possible to sell them a lemon with keyboard?

I (partially) understand the need for Bold users to upgrade, but not at that price for those specs.

This hurts BlackBerry.

 Z10 - 10.3.1.1151
    I bought it, because it does exactly what I want & need. There is no other device on the market that fulfills my needs like the Classic does. I am not stupid, and I am not rich. I made this decision, and I am happy.

Sorry for hurting BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Alain_A likes this.
    12-29-14 08:54 AM
    Sounds like a lot of complaining and "nitpicking" in this thread! I though it was supposed to be about how happy you are because you finally got your classic after having to wait on Digital River to get their "ish" together!

Posted on my Q10
    12-29-14 09:52 AM
    I bought it, because it does exactly what I want & need. There is no other device on the market that fulfills my needs like the Classic does. I am not stupid, and I am not rich. I made this decision, and I am happy.

Posted via CB10
    Love it!
    12-29-14 10:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    Have you understood my messages?

I am not saying that the Classic is not good at productivity or that it is useless. By the way, I am not the one who said that this phone is targeting Government or Bankers who don't mind to pay more for it (so he is saying it is overpriced as well).

My point is, let's see if I can explain it better, that BlackBerry needs to move away from the past, they have to transmit a new image, they need to sell fresh devices. And releasing a phone at the beginning of 2015 with a 3 year old SoC priced almost at Passport levels with less features does not seem good marketing for me.

Would you buy today a car with carburettors, powered with leaded fuel although it does the job? Would that make sense for a car constructor?

Of course you are not hurting BlackBerry, they are very good at shooting themselves on the foot.

 Z10 - 10.3.1.1151
    12-29-14 10:22 AM

I am not saying that the Classic is not good at productivity or that it is useless. By the way, I am not the one who said that this phone is targeting Government or Bankers who don't mind to pay more for it (so he is saying it is overpriced as well).

My point is, let's see if I can explain it better, that BlackBerry needs to move away from the past, they have to transmit a new image, they need to sell fresh devices. And releasing a phone at the beginning of 2015 with a 3 year old SoC priced almost at Passport levels with less features does not seem good marketing for me.

Would you buy today a car with carburettors, powered with leaded fuel although it does the job? Would that make sense for a car constructor?

Of course you are not hurting BlackBerry, they are very good at shooting themselves on the foot.

 Z10 - 10.3.1.1151
    you are right but the thing is how much money to invest in newer if you don't know how well it will sell.....I think that the first release is to test the market without braking the bank
    12-29-14 10:25 AM
    you are right but the thing is how much money to invest in newer if you don't know how well it will sell.....I think that the first release is to test the market without braking the bank
    It is not newer. They should have used the Snapdragon 801 as well for the Classic. This would have allowed bigger bulk orders from Qualcomm and the chip itself has already been tested and validated.

And the difference in production cost is no more than 30-40 USD for the whole device.

 Z10 - 10.3.1.1151
    12-29-14 10:30 AM
    It is not newer. They should have used the Snapdragon 801 as well for the Classic. This would have allowed bigger bulk orders from Qualcomm and the chip itself has already been tested and validated.

1- And the difference in production cost is no more than 30-40 USD for the whole device.

 Z10 - 10.3.1.1151
    you miss understood my post..I never it was newer...I said what is the point of putting newer hardware in if you don't know how it will sell...

1- i don't know the difference in price for that...if it is only that then yes why?....maybe they use an over stock of parts..
    12-29-14 10:54 AM
    Basically, what he's saying, is that the Classic and Passport are targeted for different people.

Classic is probably great for on the go business professionals who need quick, easy messaging, emails, chats and security in a smaller footprint and who don't need bells and whistles. Classics are probably sold more to companies to hand off to employees, rather than consumers going out any buying it for playtime.

Passport would appeal more to the more media hungry who need faster processors, screen real estate, etc. I could see regular consumers going for the Passport for great keyboard but having the need for heavier media consumption. Best of both worlds.

I ended up going for the classic over the passport simply for the smaller footprint. I fall into the more media hungry crowd and will miss out on some things that the passport could handle better, but at the same time, I want the more convenient device that I can hold one handed and get stuff done on the go. Also, my girlfriend likes to text A LOT so the classic should be perfect for keeping me off the market.

My two cents.

-Kev
    12-29-14 11:15 AM
    you miss understood my post..I never it was newer...I said what is the point of putting newer hardware in if you don't know how it will sell...

1- i don't know the difference in price for that...if it is only that then yes why?....maybe they use an over stock of parts..
    For reference, the price of a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 is $20 (Samsung Galaxy S4).

Regards.

 Z10 - 10.3.1.1151
    12-29-14 11:18 AM
    The Classic is like the Nokia lumias. Good phones but always something wrong. One time, no sd-card, second time not good resolution. Another time not enough ram.. and now no more photo button for somes. All these device need a thing to be perfect for its price.

I feel the same with the Classic. A really good concept, something I want to try but too expensive vs the Passport, or too technically poor for 429�.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 12:05 PM
    The Classic is like the Nokia lumias. Good phones but always something wrong. One time, no sd-card, second time not good resolution. Another time not enough ram.. and now no more photo button for somes. All these device need a thing to be perfect for its price.

I feel the same with the Classic. A really good concept, something I want to try but too expensive vs the Passport, or too technically poor for 429€

Posted via CB10
    How can you compare the Classic to the Luminas? The Classic has been out for two weeks with no track record as of yet. In fact, I have yet to see any posts about all of the problems with the Classic. I love this phone and could not care less if it has an older processor. It works for me and I think most of the people that purchase it for the right reasons, will be very happy with it.
    12-29-14 01:15 PM
    What a great start - the good old justification in case someone disagrees: to question his ability to comprehend.

Would you buy today a car with carburettors, powered with leaded fuel although it does the job?
    How boring, these ongoing car comparisions. But for god's sake: not although, but because.

Would that make sense for a car constructor?
    Yes, if there is a market of 50+ million potential buyers, any product would make sense.
    Alain_A and RJurman like this.
    12-29-14 02:14 PM
    Sorry to disagree with you on all counts OP. I love this screen. Way more than the AMOLED.

I like the weight and the bigger screen. I am done with tiny phones. One of the things I did not like about my 9900 was the tiny screen as did millions and moved to bigger screen device. The market spoke and BlackBerry listened. Seems like they can't win.

Each to his own.

Posted Via The Classic
    Couldn't agree with you more. I absolutely loved my Q10 but the screen was really dark. The new LCD is bright and beautiful. I used to think the super amoled was great and lcd was cheap, old technology, but ithis screen convinced me otherwise. The form factor is a bit off putting just because it feels unbalanced eith the heavier top end. Not heavier than the rest of the phone, but in proportion to holding it from the bottom. It's definitely stout. I feel like the classic is really the best all-around phone that Blackberry has made since bb10 was released, and it's really a pleasure to use. 10.3.1 really feels fine-tuned and made for the device. The track pad does feel a little small, but honestly I never owned a blackberry with the trackpad. My last blackberry before the Z10 came out was the old Pearl with the trackball. This one seems to work well when you need it. Much more immediate and intuitive than the Passport keyboard (seems gimmicky to me). Never really found much use for it than word prediction. It's terrible IMO for text editing. The trackpad though is spot on! Anyway, just my two cents.

Posted via CB10
    Alain_A likes this.
    12-29-14 03:26 PM
    I think they would be better off if they gave pseudo specs like apple does. They don't tell people that it's a 1.2ghz processor with 1gb of memory. They just say "look at our new A7 processor, faster and better than ever!" last time I checked, I never met anyone who bought a blackberry for specs (I mean solely because of specs, not because it's an upgrade from one bbry to another) It's a communications workhorse with apps and some fun stuff. Just slap a blackberry label on the snapdragon processor and call it the Ambrosia X1 processor, and get out of the spec war. I don't care what it's called. Blackberry doesn't need android hardware specs and gigahertz wars to set themselves apart from other android phones. It's a blackberry. Faster than ever, world leader in security and amazing power and speed at your fingertips. Done and done.

Posted via CB10
    Alain_A and DeliFresser like this.
    12-29-14 03:37 PM
    I am actually looking forward to a heftier phone, with LCD and a tool belt with the trackpad for accuracy.

But I welcome all reviews so that I can make an informed decision. The Q10, which I love, always felt Curve-like to me. I loved my 9900, so looking forward to the Classic.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    12-29-14 04:07 PM
82 1234