Reading many postings over the last year, my observation is that there is a demand for a unnamed phone with maybe half the screen height of the Classic. It's purpose would be to (almost exclusively) pound out emails and text.

Is this a nostalgia thing? Is there indeed a missing link, an unfulfilled niche, somewhere between the Q10 and the Classic?

As a satisfied Classic owner, I sort of see the desire for a smaller phone. But I am not sure I completely understand it.

Is there truly a need out there for a smaller, "Mini" Classic?

Posted via my Blackberry Classic
    11-07-15 06:15 PM
    I would love to see a Classic about the size of a Q10, with the insides of a Priv/PP and have a removable battery. I use my phone about 99% of the time for calls, emails and texts - no social media or entertainment.

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe likes this.
    11-07-15 07:05 PM
    I would love to see a Classic about the size of a Q10, with the insides of a Priv/PP and have a removable battery. I use my phone about 99% of the time for calls, emails and texts - no social media or entertainment.

Posted via CB10
    This.

Posted via my Q5 beeyoch
    11-08-15 12:59 AM
    I am sure some would like a smaller Classic (more pocket-able) however the screen size is the big thing nowadays and don't think BlackBerry would go back to a smaller screened Classic for the few they would sell .
    11-08-15 06:48 AM
    I've only played with the Classic in my local AT&T store but I love the size. I'm planning on getting one in the near future. I like the one hand use convenience over the two hand needs of my Passport. I don't think I would want the Classic to be any smaller.
    11-08-15 07:25 AM
    My daughter still craving after her tiny Curve 8320 after two years of using her Q10 and only accepted it for replacement of the Curve with big moaning but refuse to use any bigger mobile like the Classic or even a Z10 or Z30 after that, no way she would want a Passport and a Android phone is absolut out of discussion for here, she would definitely grab a smaller device like a mini-Classic.

I'm my self would stick with the current Classic regarding my big paws, or grab a 2nd generation Classic if that will ever appear.
    But the main thing is, all devices would need to run BlackBerry OS10

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.2.+*
    11-08-15 07:50 AM
    Sure. If you can cater to a couple hundred people. Not.
    11-08-15 08:33 AM
    I don't think that BlackBerry would ever go smaller than the Classic again. Just my opinion though.
    11-08-15 09:41 AM
    It's pretty easy to strike up conversation on bus, airport, supermarket line, etc and detect signs of dissatisfaction with current "super sized" offerings, IMO. Supersize has reached market saturation, IMO. Witness smart watch. My bet is that someone, somewhere, will offer a reasonably sized device as a "feature".

I'd also bet that BB will, once again, chase yesterday's trend. Just when the rest of the market discovers the current generation of devices have outgrown comfortable human anatomy, I fully expect BB to double down & launch devices requiring step ladders in order to tap "send". Lol

My vote, fwiw, has always been for a toolbelt equipped Q10. But I only represent "a couple hundred" so... Home Depot has a nice selection of step ladders. Lol.
    11-08-15 09:51 AM
    I love the size of my Q10 and I would strongly support BlackBerry if they made at least one more outstanding built device about the same size but with a PKB like the Priv/PP so there would be no need for the tool belt. Don't forget the removable battery of course and please keep it all Black even all the frets...Black ui as well...I would buy two of them immediately!

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 09:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    Why would you need top of the line specs to do calls emails and texts?

Why not just remake the classic in the size of the q10?

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 10:57 AM
    One thing I have learned in life and business is that compromise and adapting to change are a big part of being successful.

Part of the people in these forums want a tool belt and the functions it offers and the other people are fine without it. What if BlackBerry found a way to make a hybrid device that makes both sides happy?

If they found a way to turn the keyboard into the tool belt. A captive keyboard could take the place of the track pad, designated keys could cover the answer/end call buttons and I'm sure there is room for a back button as well as the functions the BlackBerry button does (maybe adding a button under the "alt" and "enter" buttons). For example, you are ready to send an email and you can just press the button under the "alt" button to send it which could also be used to answer calls. Or if you need to end a call or close a screen, press the button under the "enter" key (functions like the end call button on the Classic). There is enough space on both sides to add an additional key.

This could possibly make both sides happy and willing to buy the device.

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe and idssteve like this.
    11-08-15 11:12 AM
    One thing I have learned in life and business is that compromise and adapting to change are a big part of being successful.

Part of the people in these forums want a tool belt and the functions it offers and the other people are fine without it. What if BlackBerry found a way to make a hybrid device that makes both sides happy?

If they found a way to turn the keyboard into the tool belt. A captive keyboard could take the place of the track pad, designated keys could cover the answer/end call buttons and I'm sure there is room for a back button as well as the functions the BlackBerry button does (maybe adding a button under the "alt" and "enter" buttons). For example, you are ready to send an email and you can just press the button under the "alt" button to send it which could also be used to answer calls. Or if you need to end a call or close a screen, press the button under the "enter" key (functions like the end call button on the Classic). There is enough space on both sides to add an additional key.

This could possibly make both sides happy and willing to buy the device.

Posted via CB10
    Now you're using your head...I wish somebody at BlackBerry was paying attention to this particular thread.

The currency key could be used more appropriately ex: use that key as the call button, I don't need two dedicated call buttons just one would work. I realize the space key ends call now so maybe that could be implemented.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 11:22 AM
    I don't think that BlackBerry would ever go smaller than the Classic again. Just my opinion though.
    I agree. The Classic feels like the perfect size to me. I don't have big hands or anything, but the Q10 now feels tiny in comparison.

I also don't see BlackBerry going smaller than the Classic, especially with better-than-Classic specs. The market hasn't been kind to Q10 and Classic sales, so I'm not sure a smaller variant of these devices would make much sense.

Posted via CB10
    dlrogers81 likes this.
    11-08-15 03:20 PM
    Actually it's not the height that's the issue, even if people think that it is - it's the width.

The classic is an entire key wider than the Q10, making it feel much larger.

The Z30 is taller but it feels more comfortable to hold than the Classic.

I don't think I'd want to sacrifice the classic keyboard size though.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 04:14 PM
    Actually it's not the height that's the issue, even if people think that it is - it's the width.

The classic is an entire key wider than the Q10, making it feel much larger.

The Z30 is taller but it feels more comfortable to hold than the Classic.

I don't think I'd want to sacrifice the classic keyboard size though.

Posted via CB10
    That was like a good book with a very bad ending. What exactly are you saying?

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 07:42 AM
    It's pretty easy to strike up conversation on bus, airport, supermarket line, etc and detect signs of dissatisfaction with current "super sized" offerings, IMO. Supersize has reached market saturation, IMO. Witness smart watch. My bet is that someone, somewhere, will offer a reasonably sized device as a "feature".

I'd also bet that BB will, once again, chase yesterday's trend. Just when the rest of the market discovers the current generation of devices have outgrown comfortable human anatomy, I fully expect BB to double down & launch devices requiring step ladders in order to tap "send". Lol

My vote, fwiw, has always been for a toolbelt equipped Q10. But I only represent "a couple hundred" so... Home Depot has a nice selection of step ladders. Lol.
    +1

Or a 9900 with 3gb RAM and BB10

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    11-09-15 10:24 AM
    +1

Or a 9900 with 3gb RAM and BB10

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    ++9900 !!
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-09-15 10:52 AM
    I sometimes take my 9900 and am still amazed what a small powerhorse (for todays standards) it was. Unfortunately it needs BIS to run properly....so not the best choice for a backup.

I would love a pkb phone a bit smaller than the Classic with trackpad and BB10. Overall I think the market for small pkb is tiny.....people might like the feel of a pkb, but compared to all the apps they wanna use - and then can't - the pkb just looses.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 01:51 PM
    Why would you need top of the line specs to do calls emails and texts?

Why not just remake the classic in the size of the q10?

Posted via CB10
    So.. the exact same phone?
    The reason the classic is as big as it is is because of the bigger battery and toolbelt. Not because of the screen size. That's just an added bonus
    11-09-15 02:04 PM
    I see your point and you are not wrong!

My Curve 8900 or Bold 9790 or 8700 fitted so nicely in my pocket - while the Classic is a monster besides them!

But to be honest - I could not go back.
    I love the bigger screen!

The only thing I might get never used to is how heavy the Classic is - I might have weak fingers, but longer typing (especially with one hand) - uffff...

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-09-15 03:32 PM