The Classic will certainly have the niche market(s) it was designed to attract- Legacy users who want to upgrade. diehard BB keyboard fans, etc. The problem I see in trying to attract a new base or convert, which is a big factor in driving sales to the upside, is this- the Classic will be all to easy to lump in the lower end and "free" contract phones that have physical keypads such as some of the LG500 series and several low/ mid Samsungs. The phone needs to be distinguished from them as a premium, high end product to justify the price, features, and performance differences. The average staff in a wireless store isn't going to care or be properly taught/ educated in the product to sell up possible converts from the "big name" brands for much less money.
    What do you all think?
    12-20-14 09:37 AM
    The problem is it's not a premium, high end product and it's not meant to attract the mainstream crowd either.
    Vintage123 likes this.
    12-20-14 09:40 AM
    I think with folks like Kevin O'Leary in the corporate world who have clout with the folks in other companies who make the capital equipment purchase decisions, I think the classic will do fine. Do I think it will sell 14 million units in a month, no.

The brand will never have the marker dominance they once enjoyed because it's a different game now and they are not the only major player anymore. I still think they can sell enough devices to remain a niche brand and still come out with devices that will wow their selected user base from time to time, just my two cents.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    FrankIAm and geekaren like this.
    12-20-14 09:44 AM
    Have you held the phone?

When holding and using my Classic, I honestly can't see how someone can say it's not a looking, feeling and working premium device.

Now if you want to play heavy games or shoot National Geographic quality photos, that's another matter and you should probably look into more specific devices.
    garpt and phuoc like this.
    12-20-14 09:57 AM
    The problem is it's not a premium, high end product and it's not meant to attract the mainstream crowd either.
    So if it's in a lineup with say, the likes of a LG500G,501, or Samsung s390 with a clerk who doesn't know/ couldn't care less about the increased productivity, features/ benefits of BB10, security benefits, etc., that is not going to be an impediment to sales?
    ..And I mentioned that although NOT the target market, a few more converts could be a nice upside surprise in sales for the Classic. As a stockholder I would like to see that.
    12-20-14 10:29 AM
    The phone needs to be distinguished from them as a premium, high end product to justify the price, features, and performance differences.
    What do you all think?
    You want to market the Classic as premium with those specs..no way
    12-20-14 10:56 AM
    You want to market the Classic as premium with those specs..no way
    Comparatively speaking within the context of my post, yes absolutely.
    12-20-14 11:03 AM
    I think it was the best solution for what John Chen had to deal and work with coming onboard the company. He had big shoes to fill. However, an entry product was necessary for the users still on legacy devices and older os's. Blackberry has always manufactured devices based on series and jumping directly to os 10 with the z10 and then q10 left these users out in the cold. I think it was more of a marketing boo boo, pretty huge I think! The classic should have been launched LONG before the z and the q. This is where I think it all went wrong. There are early adoptors but there are also a huge client base in the BES side that uses Bb devices and to ease the transition to OS10 would have been genius at the time. Blast marketing to BIS/BES would have positioned OS10 beautifully. Marketing at the time misjudged the legacy market in both consumer and corporate. And to abandon the largest group of BB users was plain stupid. THen roll out other devices in a proper succession and if the timeline was right the "old legacy" market would have time to learn and adjust to a gesture based operating system.
    But theres NO point in crying over bad marketing decisions and therefore I really do give JC a good old pat on the back to finally steer the blackberry ship in the right direction. And not get slaughtered in the corporate business and politics.
    Last edited by cellphonejunkey; 12-21-14 at 03:35 PM.
    12-21-14 02:56 PM
    I think it was the best solution for what John Chen had to deal and work with coming onboard the company. He had big shoes to fill. However, an entry product was necessary for the users still on legacy devices and older os's. Blackberry has always manufacture devices based on series and jumping directly to os 10 with the z10 and then q10 left these users out in the cold. I think it was more of a marketing boo boo. The classic should have been launched LONG before the z and the q. This is where I think it all went wrong. There are early adoptors but there are also a huge client base in the BES side that uses Bb devices and to ease the transition to OS10 would have been genius at the time. Marketing at the time misjudged the legacy market. And to abandon the largest group of BB users was plain stupid. THen roll out other devices in a proper succession and if the timeline was right the "old legacy" market would have time to learn and adjust to a gesture based operating system.
    But theres NO point in crying over bad marketing decisions and therefore I really do give JC a good old pat on the back to finally steer the blackberry ship in the right direction. And not get slaughtered in the corporate business and politics.
    just that make sense....then the q would have been unnecessary......
    12-21-14 03:09 PM
    just that make sense....then the q would have been unnecessary......
    Exactly. I think the Z10 and Z30 weren't bad ideas to keep BB relevant to some, (I went into a Z10 from the Torch, I( don't know if I would have stayed with BB if they didn't offer the Z10/30), but the Q is the phone that probably should not have been released. Should have gone straight to the Classic, but likely not an option at the time.
    12-22-14 12:36 PM