I recently received this phone a couple of weeks ago and it suddenly has become a real disaster to manage on the battery front, as in I'll only last 5-6 hours before it drops from 100-0. Standby is eating up most of it. I suspect it has something to do with Cobalt's Android add-ons, which, while great for making some apps work, have always caused my devices issues one way or another, as this battery issue seems to have manifested after I've installed Gmail, patched Youtube and all of the apps on the Google apps landing page. I've deleted these apps and I'm still running into battery issues so I've decided to wipe and set up everything again through the carrier pushed OS (Rogers still on 10.3.1).

I'm really posting to ask whether it's worth it to install the 10.3.2 leak instead? Is the battery significantly better? I know it's non-reversible so I don't want to put this phone in a state where I cannot go back on. I still have the option of returning it as a manufacturer's defect and I'm sure this phone won't qualify for a refund if it has a leaked 10.3.2 on it that I can't go back on... but if everyone is reporting that the battery is doing much better on that OS than it was on 10.3.1 it may be worth taking that gamble.
    07-13-15 02:08 AM
    This happened to me a few weeks ago and I found out it was the 1MobileMarket app. It might be an app causing it!

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 02:21 AM
    I recently received this phone a couple of weeks ago and it suddenly has become a real disaster to manage on the battery front, as in I'll only last 5-6 hours before it drops from 100-0. Standby is eating up most of it. I suspect it has something to do with Cobalt's Android add-ons, which, while great for making some apps work, have always caused my devices issues one way or another, as this battery issue seems to have manifested after I've installed Gmail, patched Youtube and all of the apps on the Google apps landing page. I've deleted these apps and I'm still running into battery issues so I've decided to wipe and set up everything again through the carrier pushed OS (Rogers still on 10.3.1).

I'm really posting to ask whether it's worth it to install the 10.3.2 leak instead? Is the battery significantly better? I know it's non-reversible so I don't want to put this phone in a state where I cannot go back on. I still have the option of returning it as a manufacturer's defect and I'm sure this phone won't qualify for a refund if it has a leaked 10.3.2 on it that I can't go back on... but if everyone is reporting that the battery is doing much better on that OS than it was on 10.3.1 it may be worth taking that gamble.
    Very likely an app causing it.

To answer your question about 10.3.2, from my own experience (Z30), battery performance has shown a steady improvement since somewhere around the later 10.3.1 builds. I'm now on 10.3.2.840 (with software release 10.3.2.544), and my battery is phenomenal. Carrier signal performance is excellent as well.

My last charge was 72 hours ago and my battery is on 66%. I'm not a heavy user, but even on standby, this is impressive battery performance. I have Bluetooth permanently switched on. I switch wifi off when I'm not using it. I keep my carrier signal set to 2G/3G most of the time, only switching up to 4G when I need a fast connection - this seems to suit my local carrier coverage pattern well.

If you still have poor battery performance even after wiping and installing the original OS, it does sound likely that you may have a bad battery, or some other issue. If I were you, I would exercise my right to a replacement device under warranty, see how the new one goes, and once you are satisfied that the battery is performing normally, then consider going up to 10.3.2.

Good luck!!

edit

ps : you might try checking cpu usage in your device monitor - it gives you a more instantaneous idea of what your device is doing, than the battery usage graph, which is more historical.
    Last edited by BMCruiser; 07-13-15 at 02:55 AM.
    07-13-15 02:42 AM
    Don't think it is cobalt's stuff as I have his stuff installed and get like a day or more out of my phone. I'm running ClassicSQC100-4/10.3.2.2339

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 04:45 AM
    Confirmed it has nothing to do with Android patches. Deleted all the Android apps and the battery is still shot. Now it won't charge beyond 50%. I'm going to RMA the phone and hope nothing goes wrong with the replacement. Weird how it suddenly just fried, I've been consistently using the same charger the phone came with for 2 weeks. I have been heavy on the Android apps but battery drains as fast as ever after deletion.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 10:11 AM
    This definitely should NOT be... I get nearly 24hrs+ easily and I use my device fairly heavily... I DO have a few android apps installed (Waze, Put.io, Google Play store via Colbalt's rig, etc...) and also am very heavy on usage as far as HUB and the browser goes... This weekend I was even very heavy on my camera and video usage and still had no issue... (I've actually found the CB app is my biggest battery drainer as per app manager's diagnoses...) The RMA is probably needed, something is defective... That should not be... I love the Classic's battery life...

My last 48hours:

Major battery life issue (60% drop in 3 hours, most of it as "Standby"), on 10.3.1-img_20150713_133123.png

Hopefully all goes smoothly for you!

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 12:36 PM
    Major battery life issue (60% drop in 3 hours, most of it as "Standby"), on 10.3.1-img_20150719_132613.png

Major battery life issue (60% drop in 3 hours, most of it as "Standby"), on 10.3.1-img_20150719_132810.png

Is this normal? Battery life is really erratic on this phone. Really quite a disappointment. I'm still suspicious of some of Cobalt's patches causing this. Some days the battery life lasts a while and other days it gets shot within 6. Still haven't gone through the RMA process yet...

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 03:29 PM
    Delete any app store besides BlackBerry world and Amazon. Then if you need something that they don't carry go somewhere like apkmirror to dl it... this will save battery

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 04:30 PM
    So have you really deleted Android apps?
    I can see them running in you recent screen shots. You messed the phone up big time but don't worry we'll get you out of it.

The fix is easy. Go ahead and install latest 10.3.2 leak that's all. Don't worry about battery life. It's not worse or better than any other software version released recently. You can as well just reinstall latest official release. Same difference.

Your phone is perfectly fine I can assure you. Next time employ a more systematic approach to battery management and don't stuff your phone with Android until you have obtained healthy baseline for battery life first.

Don't waste your time on RMA, the phone is OK.
    07-19-15 07:03 PM
    Major battery life issue (60% drop in 3 hours, most of it as "Standby"), on 10.3.1-img_20150719_174327.png

I deleted, it ran fine for a while and I reinstalled. I need the Android apps for this phone for various work and social purposes, otherwise I wouldn't be using a BlackBerry anymore. I can last a few days without them, but what do you mean by "establish" a healthy baseline? Is there a guideline for what I need to do first to normalize the battery before running the Android layer, and can I eventually put it back in? Thanks

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 07:49 PM
    I once had severe battery drain. Seemed to be due to something getting stuck in the calendar/email sync. Remove/add account + restart fixed it.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 08:06 PM

I deleted, it ran fine for a while and I reinstalled. I need the Android apps for this phone for various work and social purposes, otherwise I wouldn't be using a BlackBerry anymore. I can last a few days without them, but what do you mean by "establish" a healthy baseline? Is there a guideline for what I need to do first to normalize the battery before running the Android layer, and can I eventually put it back in? Thanks

Posted via CB10
    What I meant by that is you should find out your baseline battery drain when no Android app is installed and running. That will take a day or two. If it's still bad without android then you have another problem with your settings (on top of Android).
    Your baseline will be the battery life you're happy with. Only then start adding whatever you need Android apps one by one while observing the battery. One app per day is what I would recommend.
    Ultimately you will have to choose: good battery or Android apps. There is not having both, but by a process of elimination you will be able to find the most offending ones.

All the above will only be possible if you install BaSa battery analyser and carefully observe power drain after each stage. Don't base your judgement on device monitor. It is helpful but BaSa will show you straightaway where the issue is.
    07-20-15 05:08 AM