Drop in the bucket my friend. You are still not the target market. That's a fact.

Posted via CB10
    Well, its hard to look at the numbers and see where they've had much success at hitting their Apple target market. They've missed the target and are in free fall. Their best hope for a soft landing might just be precisely to target niche markets. If they can land soft enough, they have a chance to fly again. The Q20 is at least a 60% effort at setting sights on a PROVEN target.
    Ragbert likes this.
    05-28-14 12:21 PM
    Well, its hard to look at the numbers and see where they've had much success at hitting their Apple target market. They've missed the target and are in free fall. Their best hope for a soft landing might just be precisely to target niche markets. If they can land soft enough, they have a chance to fly again. The Q20 is at least a 60% effort at setting sights on a PROVEN target.
    Hey man, what part of "that's a fact" do you not understand??

;-)

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    05-28-14 12:23 PM
    We agree there. They need to target the niche corporate market to try and right the ship. If they want to be successful in the long term though they will have to look at the consumer space again, in force.

On topic, to target this niche they don't need the best and the latest. They need affordable. The "Classic" is a budget device more than anything to target the niche regulated corporate market. Even BlackBerry made this very clear. There is no point in getting one's panties all in a bunch over something that you can't change. Nobody is out to "screw the BlackBerry loyal". As I said before, you are not the target market. If you want a consumer level device for keyboard enthusiast wait for Windermere. No function keys or track pad, at least not the traditional ones, but it will likely be a monster device.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 12:36 PM
    Hey man, what part of "that's a fact" do you not understand??

;-)

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Yeah, well, it was arguably a fact back before Chen saw the writing on the wall. Some folks are challenged to accept NEW facts. Especially confusing for some is when those facts go full circle.

There are obviously some folks that truly believe that the tool belt is what weakened sales 3+yrs ago. The FACT that sales have nose dived after "abandoning" the belt just gets selectively overlooked. Even at RIM/BBRY.

Some of us experienced OS7.0 abysmal software performance just a few yrs ago. It was a full year before the 9930 and 7.1 matured into the sweetest device ever. Too late. The problem was NOT hardware. The problem was SLOW development of software. What did RIM/BBRY do? They endeavored to abandon the hardware features that made them BlackBerry and turned their poorly performing software development department toward developing a NEW OS from ground up! A challenge for software monsters like Apple! OS10 is a masterpiece, considering who developed it, but its characteristically (for BBRY) slow to mature. BBRY might not survive to see 10 reach maturity.

Lots of ppl love their Q's. I found it insulting. The money spent on beltless Q would have been better spent just upgrading the 9900 to modern specs. Just my opinion. FWIW.
    05-28-14 12:59 PM
    We agree there. They need to target the niche corporate market to try and right the ship. If they want to be successful in the long term though they will have to look at the consumer space again, in force.

On topic, to target this niche they don't need the best and the latest. They need affordable. The "Classic" is a budget device more than anything to target the niche regulated corporate market. Even BlackBerry made this very clear. There is no point in getting one's panties all in a bunch over something that you can't change. Nobody is out to "screw the BlackBerry loyal". As I said before, you are not the target market. If you want a consumer level device for keyboard enthusiast wait for Windermere. No function keys or track pad, at least not the traditional ones, but it will likely be a monster device.

Posted via CB10
    If that's the case they are missing their niche target and odds will grow against them surviving long enough to get back into the consumer market. I think the OP's wording might be throwing you off. The OP seems to be expressing frustration that upgrading from his Q10 to the new Q20 will only add a toolbelt to what he has. No internal upgrade. Consider this, if I still used my Q10, why should I upgrade to Q20 with the same internal specs? BBRY is loosing sales there.

My company will purchase several dozen Q20s. I realize that's a drop in the ocean compared to Apple numbers but I believe we might represent significant portion of BBRY's niche future. My management will GLADLY pay for additional internal performance to assure against a near future performance deficit for some unforseen app.
    05-28-14 01:35 PM
    Hmmm... I may be exactly the market BlackBerry needs to woo. The people who have had BlackBerry phones going back to the stone age are already entrenched - they don't need to be convinced to choose BlackBerry when they need a new phone, no matter what the new style is. I, on the other hand, chose the Q10 last year because I knew BlackBerry had a reputation for making top-notch keyboards, and it felt great in my hands the first time I held one. I made the right choice and I've enjoyed using it every day.

But it's not brand loyalty yet or nostalgia for me. It's like finally finding well-made pants that fit perfectly. I love this phone and I fervently hope BlackBerry becomes a successful and respected company again. But if they were to stop making phones that fit me, then as well-made as their phones are, I'd still have to look for another brand. There's no point in paying for something I can't actually use.

I may be a drop in the Crackberry bucket, but there are many more people out there who simply buy what works for them. If BlackBerry wants to increase its user/addict base, then I believe that they need to pay as much attention to basics like physical usability, as to glitzing up the GUI. Just my opinion.

Drop in the bucket my friend. You are still not the target market. That's a fact.

Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2947/2274 Radio
    05-28-14 01:51 PM
    Hmmm... I may be exactly the market BlackBerry needs to woo. The people who have had BlackBerry phones going back to the stone age are already entrenched - they don't need to be convinced to choose BlackBerry when they need a new phone, no matter what the new style is. I, on the other hand, chose the Q10 last year because I knew BlackBerry had a reputation for making top-notch keyboards, and it felt great in my hands the first time I held one. I made the right choice and I've enjoyed using it every day.

But it's not brand loyalty yet or nostalgia for me. It's like finally finding well-made pants that fit perfectly. I love this phone and I fervently hope BlackBerry becomes a successful and respected company again. But if they were to stop making phones that fit me, then as well-made as their phones are, I'd still have to look for another brand. There's no point in paying for something I can't actually use.

I may be a drop in the Crackberry bucket, but there are many more people out there who simply buy what works for them. If BlackBerry wants to increase its user/addict base, then I believe that they need to pay as much attention to basics like physical usability, as to glitzing up the GUI. Just my opinion.

The best way for BBRY to get existing BB users to buy new devices is to offer new devices that are significantly better than what they have.

My 9930 is worn. If BB offered something equally useful, I'd be buying it NOW. As it is I'll replace the keyboard and HOPE the Q20 fills my needs. I'm already apprehensive about the size of the thing. With trackpad, I have NO need or desire for such a large screen. I suspect they'll omit the charging contacts and accessory key. I currently use both and will miss them. Why should I give them up? Why should I subject myself to endure an uncomfortably oversized device? Will the newer processor be fast enough to offset the negatives? More RAM? Newer but still maturing OS? Will shortcut keys and themes be back in time for the Q20? Better battery life and camera are potential positives. Just don't know.

You would think that the people that made my current device would understand IT enough to build a NEW device that would entice me to purchase.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    05-28-14 07:04 PM
    Well that boils it all down to defining "better" doesn't it. An almost futile discussion, since it means something different, depending on whom you ask.

I think John Chen gets that, thus the large number of BB10 models either in use now, or in the pipeline. I just hope he doesn't break what ain't broke, and drive potential customers either back to their legacy devices, or to other brands. I remain hopeful that by the time my current VZW contract is up (still > a year to go, arrrgh), there will be another new perfectly-fitting BlackBerry device with my name on it. :-)

The best way for BBRY to get existing BB users to buy new devices is to offer new devices that are significantly better than what they have.
    .:: snip ::.
    You would think that the people that made my current device would understand IT enough to build a NEW device that would entice me to purchase.

05-28-14 08:23 PM
83 ... 234