So, it dawned on me that now even Samsung has gone the route of non-removable battery and no sd card expandability... So out of the brands that sell in the USA, it's down to LG and BlackBerry that still releases flagship phones with sd card expandability. But knowing that neither LG nor BB are trend-setters, and Samsung and Apple are, will this feature go the way of the Woolly Mammoth soon even on BB?? I hope not...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-12-15 04:58 PM
    Yep. This is a big buying factor for me. It killed me when the z30 and further bb10 devices moved away from removable batteries. At least we still have SD card support.

It will be interesting to see if the note 5 moves away from removable batteries and SD cards as well. Samsung may be turning away from its most hard core users.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 05:05 PM
    Lack of expandable memory is a real detriment for many brands. Without that ability my phone would lose its function as a music player. In the daily commute music is a must.

C000C6078 Bits for links to world news and views, technology and science postings.
    04-12-15 05:05 PM
    I ain't paying the extra $100 for more free space. When I can get those free space for half the price from sd cards. What these companies are doing is highway robbery. Fack Apple! Fack Samsung!
    eji930 likes this.
    04-12-15 05:10 PM
    Because BlackBerry markets to the corporate and government community, it makes sense to have removable expands data capabilities.

Z10 STL 100-3 with vitamin 10.3.1.2582
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    04-12-15 05:18 PM
    Because BlackBerry markets to the corporate and government community, it makes sense to have removable expands data capabilities.

Z10 STL 100-3 with vitamin 10.3.1.2582
    Well, hopefully that's enough to keep the feature alive...

donemt likes this.
    04-15-15 08:54 PM
    I ain't paying the extra $100 for more free space. When I can get those free space for half the price from sd cards. What these companies are doing is highway robbery. Fack Apple! Fack Samsung!
    It's either that or rely on cloud storage, no thanks. I use cloud storage just for backing things up and sharing things. To depend on it for things I will access all of the time, no thanks. Rely on having internet coverage and wasting battery constantly using data services to do what you need to do is pretty dumb in my opinion. SD card support need to stay...

donemt, kbz1960 and Upgrayedd111 like this.
    04-15-15 08:58 PM
    I think the "majority" don't need over 32gb. I know many people will argue this, but CrackBerry Heads are only a snall portion of people that buy cell phone.

Maybe I'm wrong. I know I have 128gb, but I'm not the norm.

I would have rather had a removable battery, so replacement is within second.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 10:34 PM
    I still haven't used up the 32gb internal memory. SD card gone is no big deal for me.
    04-15-15 11:48 PM
    I think the majority of consumers do not really feel the need for expandable storage anymore and this is why it has fallen by the wayside with most phones. Yes, the tech sites and reviews complain when a new phone doesn't have an SD slot but I don't hear of many normal consumers complaining. If they were, the SD slot would still exist in a majority instead of a minority of phones.

That said, I'm glad Blackberry has kept it. Since their phone is more for the person who is using their phone for practicality, it makes sense. People who are using their phone more for entertainment, apps, etc aren't going to care about the lack of a slot in most cases.
    04-16-15 09:18 AM
    I perform work backups to my SD card at 10 GB a pop removable storage is a must for me.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 11:53 AM
    I still haven't used up the 32gb internal memory. SD card gone is no big deal for me.
    If you only plan for today and not for tomorrow. Otherwise this way of thinking is setting yourself up for possible failure...

04-16-15 12:08 PM
    I think the majority of consumers do not really feel the need for expandable storage anymore and this is why it has fallen by the wayside with most phones. Yes, the tech sites and reviews complain when a new phone doesn't have an SD slot but I don't hear of many normal consumers complaining. If they were, the SD slot would still exist in a majority instead of a minority of phones.

That said, I'm glad Blackberry has kept it. Since their phone is more for the person who is using their phone for practicality, it makes sense. People who are using their phone more for entertainment, apps, etc aren't going to care about the lack of a slot in most cases.
    People now-a-days don't think about the future. You may not need more memory now, but you never know if the situation would change tomorrow. And to rely on cloud storage where data coverage is required, that's also not a good thing. Again, expecting the best situation to happen. They allow for these features to go away without making a fuss. Once it's gone, it's gone...

Upgrayedd111 and Mr4aces like this.
    04-16-15 01:00 PM
    Right now I only use a 32gb card and haven't come close to filling it up. But I am grateful to have the ability to expand my storage should I ever need to. I would be very disgruntled if  ever removed that option. It would be like buying a desktop computer with a non-removable hard drive and no expansion slots.
    slagman5 likes this.
    04-16-15 10:16 PM
    Right now I only use a 32gb card and haven't come close to filling it up. But I am grateful to have the ability to expand my storage should I ever need to. I would be very disgruntled if  ever removed that option. It would be like buying a desktop computer with a non-removable hard drive and no expansion slots.
    Exactly, I'm sure my PC has enough HDD space for me RIGHT NOW, obviously because I'm using it just fine. But I still like to know that I can add more if I need to...
    04-16-15 11:37 PM
    Exactly, I'm sure my PC has enough HDD space for me RIGHT NOW, obviously because I'm using it just fine. But I still like to know that I can add more if I need to...
    My 32gb card is more than enough for me but I know I can purchase a larger one at any time. It is a nice feature to have.
    As far as removable battery I don't see a need for myself.

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    04-17-15 06:47 AM
    I think the "majority" don't need over 32gb. I know many people will argue this, but CrackBerry Heads are only a snall portion of people that buy cell phone.

Maybe I'm wrong. I know I have 128gb, but I'm not the norm.

I would have rather had a removable battery, so replacement is within second.

Posted via CB10
    Agree.. actually I don't need more than 16 GB.. I don't use the device as music player, I have a separate mp3-device for that.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 10:30 AM
    Agree.. actually I don't need more than 16 GB.. I don't use the device as music player, I have a separate mp3-device for that.

Posted via CB10
    I don't even understand why there's a need to carry more than one device now-a-days. I get in my car and I pair my phone to my music gateway using NFC (I do not like to keep bluetooth on all of the time), listen to my music as I drive, then it disconnects itself when I leave the car (and BT turns off on its own as well). I prefer that over having another device that would do the exact same thing. But that's just me...

Gatmyer likes this.
    04-17-15 10:47 AM
    I kinda like having all my photos and videos stored on an SD card, that I can easily move to a new device without any "transfer" or "restore" process. I really hope BlackBerry doesn't follow the trend on this one,.. but it wouldn't surprise me. If the majority of manufacturers stop including sd card functionality, then the component suppliers will stop providing components that can handle sd cards... and we all know BlackBerry is pretty much at the mercy of 'last year' trends when it comes to their pick of components.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    04-17-15 11:02 AM
    I don't even understand why there's a need to carry more than one device now-a-days. I get in my car and I pair my phone to my music gateway using NFC (I do not like to keep bluetooth on all of the time), listen to my music as I drive, then it disconnects itself when I leave the car (and BT turns off on its own as well). I prefer that over having another device that would do the exact same thing. But that's just me...

Because I don't want the battery to die during the day, where I need my phone to communicate ;-)

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 11:13 AM
    Because I don't want the battery to die during the day, where I need my phone to communicate ;-)

Posted via CB10
    That's what a car charger is for if I'm using it that way, but actually the battery life has been excellent on my phone and I've never had a battery issue even when I use it as my music player during my drives. But of course use will vary from person to person, if you listen to your music a lot more than I do, then it could be an issue. But for my uses, I have no use for carrying a separate device at all.

04-17-15 11:44 AM
    They are selling cloud services!

Posted via CB 10
    04-17-15 09:06 PM
    I outgrew 32GB on my 9900, but it couldn't handle any more. With 64GB cards under 30 bucks now, I'll be doubling up very soon.
    04-17-15 11:31 PM
    For me, the Classic is not considered a media device which consumes a lot of space. With my SP3 and a SD card on it works better than keeping or storing movies or huge amount of music.

I think 16 or more gb can be enough to most of people.

IMHO

Enjoy your Classic!

From my Classic
    04-18-15 02:00 PM
    True but one of the most popular phones now, the Samsung Galaxy S5, does have expandable memory, up to 128GB.
    04-18-15 08:28 PM
66 123