Right now I am currently using a HTC M8 phone, but looking into the possibility of switching back to a Blackberry with the Classic, mainly because it is just too large of a device and too 'much' phone if that makes sense. Plus I miss the tactile keyboard and neither the Q10 nor the Passport won me over.

Yes there are a lot of user reviews on here already but it can be a bit overwhelming when searching for specific answers, so I am hoping by starting my own thread with certain questions I am hoping I can get honest, valid answers all in one area.

1) Have any of you switched from a flagship Android or an iPhone to a Classic? How long ago and do you regret that decision?

2) How many of you have been using the Classic since day one? Have you noticed a drop in performance, battery life, and what not? I have had a removable battery for two years so that is a non issue.

3) I am not in the so called target market that BlackBerry aims for and was wondering if anyone else falls under the same category? Why I ask this question is to find out whether this phone can work for the 'non-enterprise type? I am sure the answer is yes, but I am curious to what others think.

4) The quality of the camera - is it really that bad? I understand a camera on a smartphone is not on the same scale as a point and shoot camera but it should still take some good quality shots with minimal adjustments. I still have pictures from when I had a BB9900 which only had a 5 mp camera and they were good quality. Would I be taking step backwards with the Classic? What about video recording? Does Time Shift still exist and do you use it? Zoe on HTC is a great feature but I hardly ever use it.

5) Social media on Classic - Facebook, Twitter, and etc. I know when initially released there were all kinds of trouble with these app. Since then there have been constant updates as I do still follow the news on Crackberry, but not owning a BlackBerry since the Z10 and only going by the reviews on BlackBerry.com it is hard to determine whether these apps have indeed improved. Any insight on this would be great.

6) BlackBerry desktop app for Macs - I can't remember the new name for it, but has this improved any since release? I remember the constant crashes and not picking up all my pictures or music? Is this where BlackBerry blend comes into play?

7) Call quality is usually second to none on a BlackBerry - does that change with the Classic? I notice on my HTC M8 that I do get some distortion. Others may not and that is great for them but I do.

Thanks for your time and effort. I may update if more questions arise.
    03-31-15 02:28 PM
    Right now I am currently using a HTC M8 phone, but looking into the possibility of switching back to a Blackberry with the Classic, mainly because it is just too large of a device and too 'much' phone if that makes sense. Plus I miss the tactile keyboard and neither the Q10 nor the Passport won me over.

Yes there are a lot of user reviews on here already but it can be a bit overwhelming when searching for specific answers, so I am hoping by starting my own thread with certain questions I am hoping I can get honest, valid answers all in one area.

1) Have any of you switched from a flagship Android or an iPhone to a Classic? How long ago and do you regret that decision?

I switched from an iphone 4 in January. I'm loving the classic and I find myself trying to use the trackpad on my Ipad and am greatly disappointed everytime I realise there is none. I have not regretted the swap once.

2) How many of you have been using the Classic since day one? Have you noticed a drop in performance, battery life, and what not? I have had a removable battery for two years so that is a non issue.

I've upgraded twice and seen no drop in performance, I don't have heaps of apps but use my BlackBerry for email, texting and editing of articles.

3) I am not in the so called target market that BlackBerry aims for and was wondering if anyone else falls under the same category? Why I ask this question is to find out whether this phone can work for the 'non-enterprise type? I am sure the answer is yes, but I am curious to what others think.

I'm twice removed from the target market, I belong to no enterprise and I live in a country where BlackBerry is not even sold. (sweden) I'm loving this phone, it's a workphone, not a mediaphone. I'm so much faster and more accurate in my typing and the hub is invaluable.

4) The quality of the camera - is it really that bad? I understand a camera on a smartphone is not on the same scale as a point and shoot camera but it should still take some good quality shots with minimal adjustments. I still have pictures from when I had a BB9900 which only had a 5 mp camera and they were good quality. Would I be taking step backwards with the Classic? What about video recording? Does Time Shift still exist and do you use it? Zoe on HTC is a great feature but I hardly ever use it.

Time shift still works great. Coming from iphone 4 the camera is a lot better on classic! I have no complaints as to the quality of video or pictures.

5) Social media on Classic - Facebook, Twitter, and etc. I know when initially released there were all kinds of trouble with these app. Since then there have been constant updates as I do still follow the news on Crackberry, but not owning a BlackBerry since the Z10 and only going by the reviews on BlackBerry.com it is hard to determine whether these apps have indeed improved. Any insight on this would be great.

I use fb and igrann, the fb app is a lot better than apples. I came to a point on apple where I stopped using fb since I couldn't be bothered with the crappy fb app. But now I'm back on my BlackBerry.

6) BlackBerry desktop app for Macs - I can't remember the new name for it, but has this improved any since release? I remember the constant crashes and not picking up all my pictures or music? Is this where BlackBerry blend comes into play?

Yes BlackBerry blend, works good on mac, everything is shared and you can even reply to msgs via your computer.

7) Call quality is usually second to none on a BlackBerry - does that change with the Classic? I notice on my HTC M8 that I do get some distortion. Others may not and that is great for them but I do.

Never thought about it all I can say is that it works great and for long distance I use bbm (international) where bbm kicks facetimes *** where sound quality is concerned.

Hope this helps you a little bit in your choice

Posted via the cutest little fantastic phone ever!
    George_B and blackhawksfan75 like this.
    03-31-15 03:05 PM

I came from a Galaxy S3 to a Bold 9900 to the Classic. I wouldn't want any other phone at the moment. This is the 3rd Blackberry I've owned in the last 8 years. I like having a physical keyboard. I got bored with Android, they're awesome phones don't get me wrong. iPhone isn't for me. And I like the Blackberrys because they have been geared toward business related items. I rely on email heavily.

I've only had mine for 2 weeks now. The battery last about as long as the worn in Bold I was using. I like long battery life.

There has always been a crowd that would include yourself that uses the blackberry for everyday things. And with Blackberry 10 you can run Blackberry apps and Android apps. The Classic has more features than the iPhone 6 if I'm not mistaken. Just because you have the iPod app on the iDevices doesn't mean anything.

The camera on the Classic takes some pretty high quality pictures. And you are able to focus better and zoom, compared to the BB9900.

They social media apps almost on par to that as to how they run on your HTC. There are some differences. Mostly aesthetics.

Blend and Link are the new ways of moving data like pictures and music around. You can also connect to the phone like you would computer on a network if you are familar with that. BB10 doesn't use the Blackberry Desktop app.

I've had awesome call quality so far.
    blackhawksfan75 likes this.
    03-31-15 04:09 PM
    I came from a Nexus 5 to the Classic. While I am not on BES, I do use mine at work. I also use Twitter extensively. Performance has not degraded and I did preorder mine. I do not use a Mac, sorry.
    Overall I am very happy. While I sometimes miss the larger screen (I do have a Z30 also) I like the Classic for its communication abilities. The PKB is great and toolbelt comes in handy. I don't take a lot of pics but the camera is fair I guess. No one can tell you what to do but the Classic is a solid device. Best of luck!

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    03-31-15 05:12 PM
    I have a mac, MotoX, Passport, Z30 and Q10. No social media. Use the BlackBerry for email, text, bbm, and kindle and NYT. I suggest that you might be happier with another android. BlackBerry excels at multitask email and communication but it is not as rich in options as android. My MotoX Pure edition is a rock star as an entertainment device (camera, apps) but I use my Classic everyday and my Moto sits in a drawer. Unused pretty much. Bottomline is if you need a work tool the BlackBerry rocks anything else stick with android.

As I write this I am on a Webex conference with a Ppt presentation and audio. Name another phone that could do that all while in traffic on the WestSide highway in NYC. I am not driving.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 07:04 PM
    The best BlackBerry 10 phone to date! I have owned them all and just switched from the passport to a Classic... Loving every second of it

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 08:21 PM
    I'm switching back from galaxy Note 3 (mainly because RSI).. been using Q10 for couple of month, now owning Classic. In terms of social apps, I honestly think BBOS 10.3 will accomodate all you need quite well.

IMO, both ecosystem offers different benefit, if you looking for something that offers you hi-specs device, tons of feature, lots of new apps every week.. I think you should stick with android devices. On the other side, if you're looking for devices that offers simple fast UI, keyboard for a tons of texting, than you will not regret buying blackberry devices.

Talk about blackberry feature, IMO it does have everything that you'll need for daily driver. the most annoying thing is, why would anyone says blackberry camera is horrible?? Do they even try before saying stuff like that?? I find that since blackberry Q10 /Z10, both has a decent camera and I think classic offers samething in camera division.

In conclusion, Blackberry, android or iOS? it's a depend on your need.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 08:58 PM
    I purchased a HTC One to replace my Bold 9900 when the Q-10 was released. I was really looking forward to having a new BlackBerry device with a keyboard but I was so disappointed when I played with the Q-10 in the shop - I just didn't think I'd be able to get used to not having the tool band and track pad so I purchased the HTC One instead. ‎

The HTC One is an amazing phone and the new M9 is in my opinion the best 'normal' smartphone on the market. The first month I spent with my HTC One was on vacation overseas and I fell in love with the camera and the Zoe function. To this day I have not seen a better method to display photos and videos. When I returned back from overseas to work though I really started to miss my Bold. I'm 25 and I have an iPad - I am not terrible at using touch screens and I was very fast and accurate on the HTC phone, truthfully though nothing compares to having a physical keyboard and everyone in the office was shocked when I walked in one day with my dusted off Bold. I gave the HTC to a friend.

My Bold was nearing 4 years old and I had used it everyday as a workhorse, I send about 100+ emails everyday on my BlackBerry and just over a month ago the Bold died and I went to the phone shop with no idea that BlackBerry had released a new range of phones. I was seriously considering the new M9 but when I saw the BlackBerry Classic I just knew that I had to have it. I loved my Bold (enough to not replace it until it died and to give away a HTC One) but after owning my Classic for a month I love this even more. I went on YouTube a few days ago and looked at a review of the M9 and whilst there is no doubt in my mind the M9 is much more powerful, capable and 'new' I have zero regrets at all. I know I made the right choice as soon as I picked up the display model in the shop.*

BlackBerry claim the battery on the Classic is 60% better than that of the Bold - I'd have to agree. The battery lasts well into a second day of heavy use and is certainly going to be much better than your current HTC due to the smaller screen & specs. ‎

I do not use any of the BlackBerry Enterprise solutions even though I own my business. I use the Classic for my personal GMAIL account as well as my work email and both run without delay or error. Whilst I am probably in BlackBerry's target market due to the fact I own my business and work in finance, I would still choose my Classic over any other device as my personal phone.*

The camera on the Classic is significantly better than the Bold but significantly worse than the HTC. It is a point and shoot camera good for everyday use - if having access to detailed features (sorry I'm no photographer) is important to you then I remember someone saying an app exists but I would dare say if this is important to you then I don't know if the Classic is right for you.*

I use Facebook, Twitter, Linked-In and regularly surf the Web. Everything is significantly quicker on the Classic (compared to the Bold) and much more reliable. The essential social media apps run perfectly with no issues. The Classic also has Office To Go pre-installed which for me is awesome. There are other apps available but again if these are important to you (apps other than the big social networks) - the Classic may not be your phone.

BlackBerry Blend is brilliant - no problems connecting the phone up to the computer, in fact this is probably an area where the BlackBerry is better than the HTC.*

Call quality is superb (HD) on the handset and using headphones. Coverage is excellent. Speaker phone is great but nothing compared to HTC's boomsound. The Classic only has one speaker. ‎

The Classic seems to be the first phone that does not pretend to be a technological feat. The phone does all of the following better than any other device on the market: Makes calls, sends emails, sends texts, browses the net and has access to social networking in addition to creating and editing documents. It does all of this quickly, reliably and with unmatched comfort and accuracy. The phone in my opinion matches the construction quality of the HTC One (which is to say it is incredible).‎

The Classic does not do any of the following better than any other phone and is in some cases significantly worse: Take pictures/videos, play games, watch movies, purchase or listen to music, impress young people, impress nerds, impress soccer mom's, impress artists, impress creative people, impress anyone actually who isn't a lawyer or doesn't work in finance. The Classic does not run high performance apps, it does not have a fingerprint scanner or a female voice that you can ask funny questions too and get a funny response, it is not compatible with a watch, it doesn't come in gold, you can't create a feature film on it, it will not change your life, it will not boost your social status, it doesn't look like anyone else's phone, it doesn't come in a pretty box, there are no 'hello-kitty' covers for it - you get my point.*

If you are familiar with BlackBerry and miss your Bold - this is without question the device for you! The Classic does a few things perfectly, other phones do everything averagely.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 09:36 PM
    Double Post - Please Delete.
    03-31-15 10:38 PM

1. No opinion or comment on this as my last several phones have been Blackberries. When I was in insurance, I WAS issued an iPhone 3G (or whatever it was called then) and also briefly used an iPhone 4S at my current workplace as a company phone but couldn't stand the touchscreen.

2. Had my Classic for 1 week now. Coming from a Q10. I'm actually really loving the Classic. For what I use it for, it's perfect for me. The battery has been fantastic despite the lack of a removable battery though honestly, when I had my Q10, I never needed to swap out the battery since I typically topped off whenever I could. So far, I have not gone below 20% battery on my Classic and typically, when I charge it at night, there has been between 35-40% still remaining. I've carried a phone charger and a spare wall charger in my car for quite some time because you just never know

3. I am not a businessman or lawyer or politician. So yes, I fall into "not that target market." Haha. I still get teased by my friends for using a Blackberry. I do text and send and receive emails quite frequently, and Blackberry is still awesome at that. I occasionally get playfully "yelled at" via text by my Android/iPhone friends because I respond so fast to their texts. Physical keyboard, baby. Haha. Depends on what you use your phone for. I am not an app-heavy person so, being a non-enterprise, Blackberry works fine for me.

4. Camera is adequate. Time-Shift is still there. I've only used it maybe once or twice. Critics have bashed the Blackberry camera but I honestly don't see what the fuss is. The pictures have come out pretty good and clear. Maybe not HD quality, but again, if people are basing a phone on the quality of the camera, well... Buy a REAL camera? That's all I'm gonna say about that.

5. Facebook and Twitter work fine as native apps on the Classic. You should have no problem there. Instagram can be found on the Amazon App Store if you really need Instagram. For a native Instagram Blackberry app, there's iGrann which is just as good as the Instagram app.

6. I do not use a Mac so I cannot comment on this. Link has gotten better, and Blend is the new Blackberry Bridge of sorts. I don't use Blend that often but I have found uses for it when on my laptop at home and my Classic is a little too far from my reach.

7. Call quality is still superb on Classic. Still Blackberry's strength, though these days people don't seem to care about that as much.
    04-01-15 09:37 AM
    This is great and appreciate all the feed back. I am behind a computer 5 days a week at my work, so all I use my smartphone would be for texting, some emails, phone calls, a few apps, music player for the gym, and social media (only because it is blocked at work).

That is all I expect in a smartphone camera, something that takes half decent pictures/videos mainly of my kids, some work related things such as when manufacturers want pictures sent of defective products, and what not. As long as it is capable of doing that with clarity I am happy with it.

I still have a he!! of a time typing on a touchscreen (including the Z10) after two plus years since I left the Bold 9900.
    04-01-15 10:42 AM
    This is great and appreciate all the feed back. I am behind a computer 5 days a week at my work, so all I use my smartphone would be for texting, some emails, phone calls, a few apps, music player for the gym, and social media (only because it is blocked at work).

That is all I expect in a smartphone camera, something that takes half decent pictures/videos mainly of my kids, some work related things such as when manufacturers want pictures sent of defective products, and what not. As long as it is capable of doing that with clarity I am happy with it.

I still have a he!! of a time typing on a touchscreen (including the Z10) after two plus years since I left the Bold 9900.
    Sounds like the Classic is the phone for you then

BTW, I'm going to assume you're a Chicago Blackhawks fan? Lol. I'm a Washington Capitals fan and have been even before their recent years of success. Always appreciated and respected the Hawks. Model organization and one I wished the Caps would emulate. Slowly starting to under the BMac and Trotz regime. Lol. But I digress...
    john_v likes this.
    04-01-15 11:33 AM
    1. Came from 5S two weeks ago. Love the classic. Best work device I have ever had.

2. NA

3. Yes

4. Camera is great for me. I am happy.

5. Native LinkedIn app not so good to me. Used Snap for Android version, so slow and painfull.

6. NA

7. Great

Honestly- I love this device. I am very happy I got it. Everyday I find new ways to send and share information with this phone and I am blown away.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 11:58 AM
    Amazing..I switched from my galaxy s4 and couldn't be happier.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 12:20 PM
    I switched from a Nexus 5 to a classic. Overall the classic is better for communications: you have the hub with all email, calls texts in one place and obviously the physical keyboard.

Android and full touch devices are much better for media, youtube, music, etc and a much larger selection of apps. If you use lots of apps, you should research what you have and see if there is an equivalent on the blackberry world. I wouldn't rely too much on android runtime as it is a battery hog.

Here you have a similar thread from a user who is also using an HTC One M8.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1002487

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 04:55 PM