In fact the Classic was launched late 2014, so it basically hit the markets in early 2015. Nonetheless, its internals are from early 2013, meaning it's definitely not a powerful phone. However, that doesn't mean it cannot fulfill one's needs.

Posted via CB10
    It damn well can! The Classic is best BlackBerry phone ever IMO.

Posted via CB10
    AustinStm likes this.
    12-13-15 01:50 PM
    Seems you are new to blackberry. But I'd advise you to take a q10 it's the same thing but minus a tool belt.. but pick what suits you..

Posted via CB10
    12-13-15 02:01 PM
    Seems you are new to blackberry. But I'd advise you to take a q10 it's the same thing but minus a tool belt.. but pick what suits you..

Posted via CB10
    Why would you suggest a Q10? (serious inquiry).
    Because from my point of view, a Q10 is a Classic that has lost its best part.

Posted via CB10
    acovey and domokeats09 like this.
    12-13-15 04:18 PM
    If I could throw my 2 cents in here, I've had my Classic for little more than a week and I absolutely love it. I learned some short cuts on the keyboard and have learned a few more reading this thread. Thanks so much!

One thing I find somewhat interesting and a little disturbing, is that I paid $50 for my Classic. I'm in the U.S. and agreed to a 2-year contract with AT&T. I feel sorry for you guys who are being charged hundreds for the same phone! Man! Is that business as usual for cell phones up in Canada?

Related, the iPhone 6S was $300 with the same contract deal. So that is implying, in economic terms, that the latest iPhone is 6 times better than the Classic. Um...I think not. It would actually be a ridiculously foolhardy decision to NOT go with the Classic. When my contract expires, my hope is that the Classic 2 arrives. And I'll be a happy boy.

BB bashing is popular and automatic. And yes, BB made some terrible decisions in the recent past. But this is today. And I really believe the company is going to turn around. Their products are clearly very, very good. I can say that cell phone-wise, my phone shopping is done. I'll be flying with the Classic for the rest of my days.
    12-13-15 04:59 PM
    Yeah well I guess because there is more demand for the iPhone, sellers can charge more for it because their research shows that people will still pay for it. They probably have market researchers that say hmm, let's see how high we can increase the price of this iPhone before people won't pay for it anymore. With the Classic, the demand is not as great for the iPhone so they don't charge as much for it. Of course, to each his or her own: a phone is worth whatever that person thinks it's worth. To me, no phone is worth more than BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    AustinStm likes this.
    12-13-15 05:07 PM
    Damn 300 on a 2yr contract might as well buy it outright and use what ever Sim you want there's a ton a good prepaid plans for cheap.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-15 05:44 PM
    Best phonening quality I ever had on any phone... ! ! !

Posted via CB10
    12-13-15 06:11 PM
    Oh! And I forgot to mention: Put an Otterbox Defender on your Classic. I bought one and it was muy expensive. But I dropped my phone on a hard piece of metal from a good height, and it's still good. Protect your investment! It's not "if" you drop it, it's "when."
    12-13-15 06:11 PM
    Oh! And I forgot to mention: Put an Otterbox Defender on your Classic. I bought one and it was muy expensive. But I dropped my phone on a hard piece of metal from a good height, and it's still good. Protect your investment! It's not "if" you drop it, it's "when."
    I have a big case for mine as well but man I hate using it the phone is so nice without it not to mention the bulk it adds.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-15 06:22 PM
    One thing I find somewhat interesting and a little disturbing, is that I paid $50 for my Classic. I'm in the U.S. and agreed to a 2-year contract with AT&T. I feel sorry for you guys who are being charged hundreds for the same phone! Man! Is that business as usual for cell phones up in Canada?
    The $400 is to purchase the phone without a contract, and if you buy from BlackBerry directly, it will also be unlocked.

If the Original Post were to sign a new 2year contract, they could pick up the phone for $50 or $100 as well.

Posted via CB10
    AustinStm likes this.
    12-13-15 07:07 PM
    Ho my God, I have a co-worker who bought a brand new Black Classic. I need a blue one ! Too weird to see an other BlackBerry !

Posted via CB10
    12-14-15 03:46 AM
    Yeah - I think I put that in my original post. My last three phones have been dropped.. In winter we have this thing called "ice" .. and when the phone is cold already, and then gets dropped - kiss your screen good bye. It never fails.

Got my Nano SIM this weekend, in preparation for the new phone, and I went looking for a Defender Case. Struck out every place. May have to order online - but still hoping I can find a store that has it locally.

If the Original Post were to sign a new 2year contract, they could pick up the phone for $50 or $100 as well.
    Actually - if I wanted the Black classic, I could have gotten it from WIND for $0 .. paid off in 2 years - no contract - but I would have had to pay an extra $25/mo to "finance" the phone... so $60 / mo instead of $35.

FedEx site says it just passed customs this morning - but they bumped delivery date to tomorrow (was supposed to be today) - so we'll see. Still irks me that this had to be shipped across the border.
    Last edited by DWard29; 12-14-15 at 10:49 AM.
    12-14-15 10:39 AM
    Yeah - I think I put that in my original post. My last three phones have been dropped.. In winter we have this thing called "ice" .. and when the phone is cold already, and then gets dropped - kiss your screen good bye. It never fails.

Got my Nano SIM this weekend, in preparation for the new phone, and I went looking for a Defender Case. Struck out every place. May have to order online - but still hoping I can find a store that has it locally.

Actually - if I wanted the Black classic, I could have gotten it from WIND for $0 .. paid off in 2 years - no contract - but I would have had to pay an extra $25/mo to "finance" the phone... so $60 / mo instead of $35.

FedEx site says it just passed customs this morning - but they bumped delivery date to tomorrow (was supposed to be today) - so we'll see. Still irks me that this had to be shipped across the border.
    An extra $25/month for two years works out to $600, which is more than buying the phone outright!

Posted via CB10
    12-14-15 11:40 AM
    An extra $25/month for two years works out to $600, which is more than buying the phone outright!
    Exactly! All the big providers have cell phone financing built into their monthly rates. People get used to paying $60-$90 / mo and then get a new phone every two years - and don't bother thinking about the math behind the scenes - nothing is free
    12-14-15 01:14 PM
    Exactly! All the big providers have cell phone financing built into their monthly rates. People get used to paying $60-$90 / mo and then get a new phone every two years - and don't bother thinking about the math behind the scenes - nothing is free
    It depends on the plan. All of the new ones I've seen here in the USA is like that now. But I'm grandfathered in an old plan where regardless of if you sign a contract and get a phone cheaper or you bring your own phone your monthly rate is exactly the same. There is no added fee for getting a subsidized phone on a contract. So for my particular style plan (which you cannot get anymore) it definitely benefits me to sign the contract as long as I know I will stay with them (which I plan to). I would either sign the contract and get a new phone and then unlock my old phone (for free, they will give you the unlock code once the contract is up) and sell it for the same price as the new phone. I actually made a profit doing that once... Originally got the Bold 9900 for $200 after contract, sold it for $220, and got a Q10 on contract for $200. Most recently I bought a Classic for $430 on Amazon, then when my contract from the Q10 was up, I signed another and got a Passport for $100, and sold it for like $550. So basically I keep getting new phones for free and nothing is added to my monthly plan unlike with all of these new plans.
    12-14-15 01:47 PM
    -fm tuner: i've never heard someone look for that in a phone. Cool. From the music application, you will see a screen that lists all the channels that the phone is currently receiving. Pick your favorite to begin. You can also tune to specific channels, or save favorites etc etc
    An fm tuner is what I want and is a feature that I miss from my BBOS days (and what my Z10 does not have). I would get a Classic just for this feature alone (also because the Passport does not work with Verizon).
    12-14-15 11:18 PM
    Does the Otterbox cause scuffs around the edges of the phone though?
    12-15-15 03:34 AM
    Well, my Classic came in yesterday afternoon. If I had to answer my original questions, here's what I would say:

As someone new to Blackberry, from Android, this will be your first impressions:
    1. Its heavy! Not a light piece of plastic. As such - if it is dropped - it'll hit with a lot more force - buy a case with shock protection (Otterbox Defender) (No I didn't drop it yet - this is speculation)
    2. You may be used to a phone taking a while to start up - Blackberry also takes a while to shut down / off.
    3. Your carrier will configure you to use a different Access Point, specifically for Blackberry. As it was explained - the device encrypts (and compresses) its data on the mobile network, and the carrier simply routes that data to blackberry's servers. Blackberry used to charge the carriers a fee for this, but apparently with the newer phones its a free add-on. (Not sure how valid that explanation is - but that's how I understood it from the Mobi tech support agent). I had voice-only until I had the BB services added to my account.
    4. The comma and period require an ALT keystroke, so you'll come to understand a bit more why all those friends of yours grew accustomed to typing run on sentences when texting you all these years.
      EDIT: Thanks to Al moon - hit space twice after a word to add a period.
    5. Its not Android - so therefore your Google Account integration will be limited as data will rely on sync and push capabilities. The silver lining to this however, is that you aren't locked into Google's services and the Blackberry is designed to work with all types of services, not just Google's.
    6. If you liked Android because it gave you more control - you'll love BB OS. You can set up profiles such as "At Home", "Relaxing", or "At Work" and then define ringtones, vibration settings, volumes, LED colors, etc. You can then override those profiles on a per-app or per-user basis. (haven't figured out yet if I can define the per-user settings for contact groups or not)
    7. Compared to a Nexus S or Nexus 4 - the screen size is not as small as you'd expect. The screen looks absolutely perfect in direct sunlight.
    8. The FM radio, the Music App, and Speakers do not disappoint
    9. You will stare at the accompanying headphones and wonder how they are used - go check it out on Youtube.

I have noticed some annoyances and inconsistencies in the OS.. unless I'm not doing something right.
    • The hub will take some getting used to. It aggregates items from the various messaging sources including Texts, Notifications, phone calls, etc. If you put "Delete On Hub Only" to "on" - realize that it will still remove your call records, text conversations, notifications, etc - only your messages will stay on server. Admittedly, I'm still figuring this one out.
    • First impressions of the browser are not good. Will need to make sure it wasn't the website(s) I was on, and if not, if there are other browsers available
    • I still haven't figured out for sure if its fat thumbs or not - but I have noticed a few times that it seems the back button is app specific and doesn't always mean "back"
    • If you mistype, and then go to correct it - you will run into a competition between your dictionary and your cursor placement widget. You have to click away from the word you want to change, and then drag the cursor indicator to the mis-spelled word - otherwise the dictionary pops up and blocks input to the cursor placement widget
    Last edited by DWard29; 12-15-15 at 05:22 PM.
    12-15-15 03:53 PM
    Congrats on the new Classic: How long did it take to arrive? And where was it shipped from? I'm also in Canada so it would be good to get an idea of the shipping times. I'm assuming that you ordered your unit from Shop BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    12-15-15 04:02 PM
    double space to insert period
    12-15-15 04:47 PM
    Congrats on the new Classic: How long did it take to arrive? And where was it shipped from? I'm also in Canada so it would be good to get an idea of the shipping times. I'm assuming that you ordered your unit from Shop BlackBerry?
    Here's the whole shipping log so you can get an idea:
    Code:
    Dec 10, 2015 - Thursday
    	11:13 pm	Received Order Submitted from ShopBlackBerry
    	11:43 pm	Received Order Confirmed from ShopBlackBerry
    Dec 11, 2015 - Friday
    >> INDIANAPOLIS, IN
    	1:08 pm		Shipment information sent to Fed Ex
    	4:55 pm		Picked up
    	9:00 pm		Left FedEx origin facility
    	9:15 pm		Arrived at FedEx location
    	10:51 pm	Recieved Shipping Confirmation from ShopBlackBerry
    	11:40 pm	Departed FedEx location
    >> MEMPHIS, TN
    	11:57 pm	Arrived at FedEx location
    Dec 12, 2015 - Saturday
    	3:50 am		In transit
    Dec 13, 2015 - Sunday
    	6:00 pm		In transit
    Dec 14, 2015 - Monday
    	1:44 am		Departed FedEx location
    >> EDMONTON INT'L AIRPORT, AB
    	4:17 am		At destination sort facility
    	8:18 am		International shipment release - Import
    >> EDMONTON, AB
    	9:48 am		At local FedEx Facility
    	11:22 am	On FedEx vehicle for delivery
    >> SHERWOOD PARK, AB
    	2:26 pm		Delivered
    Hope that helps out.

double space to insert period
    Sweet. Only works after you type a word too.
    12-15-15 05:14 PM
    Awesome. I live in Edmonton so that helps a TON haha

Posted via CB10
    12-15-15 05:40 PM
    You mentioned you were getting used to the hub....
    To customize it, you can turn certain things on and off.
    To help differentiate which email account received a new email, you can give that account a colour. To do this, go to the hub -> settings -> hub management -> select the account you wish to edit, then update account colour.

Also,from that same hub management screen, you can turn off specific accounts if that is something you don't want to see. For example, I don't care to see the calls i've made, so I clicked on 'calls' then selected to 'show in separate account only'

Finally, for correcting your misspelled words, scroll your cursor over with the trackpad, then click the trackpad when your cursor is in the word. That will call up the dictionary.

Edit: I want to add that once you click the trackpad and call up the dictionary, you can scroll through the dictionary with the trackpad to select your replacement word. Then click the trackpad to accept that new word

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by undefinederror; 12-15-15 at 05:57 PM.
    12-15-15 05:43 PM
    By the way OP, what's the manufacture date of your unit?

There's also a deal now where if you order a Classic, you also get a charging pod and a leather sleeve free.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-15 05:44 PM
    Looks like I should have waited a week. Then I could have gotten a free charging station and a sleeve. I bought the sleeve separately, so I'm a little bummed about this deal.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-15 08:38 PM
66 123