‎...To have to wait for some developer's show case page slides and phases to complete. These aesthetics were old hat 10 years ago. It's a waste of battery power, a waste of memory, cpu power but more importantly it's a waste of my time. *

If I've got 200 emails to scan through/reply, *I don't want to have to wait a total of 5 or six seconds on each for the fancy page slides to complete. I don't want to have to re-type the first word of my email because the processor hasn't caught up. *I don't want to have to cancel a delete operation because the delete event that I just did didn't register.

The three fundamental rules in application development are:
    1. Do Not Re-invent The Wheel
    2. Don't Bloat An Application With Showcase Features
    3. Don't Fix What Ain't Broken

I'd have thought that RIM would have learnt their lesson and got the message when they lost most of their user base last time. *

‎There was a time when on my trusted 9700:‎

I could look at an email and refer to the calendar from the keypad without being kicked out of my email and sent to the top of my email list.

I could work through 50 emails in *account A, exit account A - go to *account B or another app and then return to account A placed automatically at the last email (or email header) that I last looked at. **

I could delete the whole word substitution entry with a single backspace when it wasn't required in the email that I was typing.

I could find a particular word substitution entry to be edited by simply typing the shortcut instead of having to scroll through every bloody one - especially when most of mine are +1000 word reply emails that just need a date or fee total to be edited * *

I could, after having worked through 90 emails, check the next email by search by sender without being sent back to the top of the 90 emails I'd already reviewed. *

I could search by emails sent or by emails received.

I could precisely hone my search with specific key data in various fields. *

I could search for a word/phrase in an email.*

I could select from any list by keying the first letter of the listed item. ‎

I could delete 5 emails in quick succession by simply backspace - return five times without experiencing any lag. It could be done 20 times and the next 20 emails would be duly deleted. ‎

I could fwd a previously sent email to the same recipient by copy paste from the keypad. ‎

....I've just updated the BlackBerry software. Now, sometimes it takes a good 20 seconds for the email reply screen to sort itself out before it goes from a blank white screen to something that resemble a reply email interface. ‎

And there's more... there is no distinctive end call button and the call does not always end.*

I've said this before (after having wasted 500 on the playbook) - RIM does not deserve to be in business with such fundamental failings.*

Classic! The only thing classic about this phone is the replication of all the classic mistakes made in every post 9700 handset.
    03-26-15 03:47 AM
    I sympathise you!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 04:54 AM
    Some of this are things I would agree with, but a lot of it is not very accurate or hyperbole. In general I feel there is still a way to go for BB10 to reach a level of maturity that BBOS7 had, but it has lots of things BBOS never had.

Looking at the calendar without being kicked out of email is easily done. From the Hub, just swipe up or swipe right and then open your calendar from the home page (my calendar is important so it is always open on my home page). When you return to the Hub by swiping left, you're back to the same place you were.

The bit about switching between email accounts and losing position is indeed annoying. I would like to see that changed.

You now need 2 backspace instead of 1 to cancel a word substitution. This is hardly a big deal, the function is still there.

To avoid getting sent to the top of 90 emails you've already reviewed you just need to pinch to only see unread emails.

You can definitely search by emails sent or received. Simply go to the top of the Hub and select the account and folder you want to search in (or if you are already in that account, just select the Sent folder) and do your search from there. BBOS was terrible with sent emails, they'd always get deleted, and you couldn't really access the email folders unless it was over Gmail, and it was still really slow. It's light years better now. Just make sure your BB10 folders are mapped to your email account's folders.

To search in a specific field, press the search button, then press the three horizontal bars at the top left, and then you can select whichever email field you want to perform your search it. And again it's MUCH faster than on BBOS. The only thing it's missing is multiple criteria search.

By using the method above you can definitely search for a specific word or phrase.

Regarding forwarding a previously sent email, I don't get it, pressing F from the Hub will do just that. You can also open the sent item, press edit from just above the toolbar, and then press trackpad twice to send. It's fast.*

Maybe there are even faster ways of doing things, but this is still pretty fast, and in MANY areas it is light years ahead of BBOS.‎ It does work very differently than BBOS, and some features still haven't been brought over to BB10, but I can definitely get through my emails much faster than with BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 06:36 AM
    Wow dude, you should learn how to work BB10. Most of your complaints have very easy workarounds. Not everything will work the same as on a 9700. BB10 is a different animal, but still does almost all of the same things.

From a Classic
    gvs1341 likes this.
    03-26-15 08:48 AM
    Looks like a 45+ year old just got the classic a couple of days ago.

These kinds of posts are usually done after researching if all of your issues are valid. Half of these are just handled differently, like Xenolock said.

I do agree with the inability to reference multiple accounts on the hub.
    03-26-15 08:55 AM
    agreed
    03-26-15 08:58 AM
    I really appreciate your input, any advice that will get me back up to speed with this handset is invaluable.

RE: word substitution - yes, *it's always been 2 backspace. But it absolutely does not work on my classic.*

Any number of backspace just deletes character by character. I have used this function extensively, it has been key to my business as I have to answer +200 enquiry emails (spread across 4 email accounts) on a daily basis. There is very little, if anything that I don't know about this function. In fact it is probably the only reason that I am still with BlackBerry. While iPhone has a similar function and memory capacity for volume of text, the iPhone does not allow carriage returns so you can't create structured emails. This may have changed recently or there might be an app that takes care of it now but that never used to be the case - I researched this before I reluctantly got a Q10, only to realise that I couldn't navigate from the keypad to perform most of my actions because the BlackBerry key and undo keys were gone. *‎

This brings me to your other point RE: pinch - I don't want to have to pinch or swipe! Yes it's all very funky, virtual and Star Treky but it is also very inefficient and inconvenient. How many IT professionals do you know that touch a mouse if there is an alternative keyboard shortcut?‎

Let's face it, for business users the *BlackBerry has been all about TWO things; *Push Email and the Keypad - what can be performed through the keypad or other buttons with your thumbs. ‎

RE: searching - before you could search using several fields at the same time eg. a word in subject, a different word in message and any part of the sender's email address in the address field.

RE: fwd emails - the issue is that you can't (on my device) select, copy and paste the recipient's address with just the keypad - it won't paste in to the address field (it can be done via the touch screen). The reason for wanting to do this is so to show evidence of the email being sent. ‎
    .......‎
    For the other subsequent post replies, Yes I am a 51yr IT professional - Yes, it was a magical moment when I sent my first email to myself on the first blackberry device (no doubt when you were in 1st Grade - did you graduate?).*

I have (or my team have) had or tried most BB models to date. It is not that I don't embrace new interface technology - it shouldn't come at the cost of productivity.
    03-26-15 11:41 AM
    Hi Xenolock

There are work arounds and I am sure that I have not found them all yet. But for example, I have 40 or so pre composed email replies set up as macro/word substitution. I have found that I do not have to scroll through every one to edit one because I can type B to go to the bottom of the listing, T to go back to the top and hit N 25 times to go to the 25th entry which is called quick! Before I would just type Q.

Yes it is a different animal, it used to be a jaguar now it's a donkey - albeit a well dressed one
    03-26-15 12:46 PM
    Maybe BlackBerry is no longer the right platform for you?
    Thalestr likes this.
    03-26-15 01:58 PM
    If word substitution isn't working as advertised, the same rules apply: restart, and if not, reinstall the OS outright. Two backspaces is supposed to work on any device.

Pinch to zoom is not required to get the job done, it is just one of many different ways. If you don't want to pinch to zoom, simply press U to jump to the next unread email. If you don't find this robust enough, you might consider using a workaround; file the completed emails into a different folder. Because BB10 can make full use of IMAP folders, those filed emails and folders will also be synchronised on any platform you use to check email. When I deal with lots of email actions, I always prefer filing completed actions.

You can also mass select email to be deleted in many different ways:
    - You can press on the top right icon in the hub (use can use your trackpad) and then you can select one by one the emails to be deleted.
    - You can use backspace as you know already.
    - You can go to the menu and click on "select more" and you can pick one by one all the emails you want and then press backspace to delete.
    - you can simply press shift and then move trackpad down to mass select all emails and then backspace.

All of these work, one of them might work faster for what you're doing.

Regarding your aversion to using the touchscreen, it's not just IT folks, it's also being practical; keeping your hands on the keyboard helps you get more done and is less awkward, I agree. But that doesn't mean aversion has to mean total avoidance. I look at it as "whatever works, no matter if it ain't pretty". For instance, I understand now what you mean by pasting email addresses. Yeah, you can only do that via touchscreen. Thing you need to understand is that the trackpad is a newcomer to BB10, so not everything has been done to fully integrate it into the OS. So my suggestion would be to simply tell BlackBerry about it and for the time being settle on using the less ideal touchscreen.

Regarding swiping, the thing I told you to do doesn't take your fingers away from the screen, just swipe up from below the screen just above the toolbelt and that's it, it's really not a big displacement. Eveen swiping left can just be done from the bottom of your screen, it doesn't move your thumbs away from the keyboard and it's just like an extension of the toolbelt.

I use my BlackBerry as the only way I can check my work email and communicate with my employer as I'm always onsite, and I can tell you that I can do way more now on BB10 than on BBOS, and I do write very long technical emails, and all of it bespoke (precisely why I have a QWERTY device).

PS: please ignore the other disrespectful replies and concentrate on getting yourself up to speed on your new device. A learning curve is normal.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 03:35 PM
    These things are not important to everyone. Just get yourself an iPhone or Droid.

‎...To have to wait for some developer's show case page slides and phases to complete. These aesthetics were old hat 10 years ago. It's a waste of battery power, a waste of memory, cpu power but more importantly it's a waste of my time. *

If I've got 200 emails to scan through/reply, *I don't want to have to wait a total of 5 or six seconds on each for the fancy page slides to complete. I don't want to have to re-type the first word of my email because the processor hasn't caught up. *I don't want to have to cancel a delete operation because the delete event that I just did didn't register.

The three fundamental rules in application development are:
    1. Do Not Re-invent The Wheel
    2. Don't Bloat An Application With Showcase Features
    3. Don't Fix What Ain't Broken

I'd have thought that RIM would have learnt their lesson and got the message when they lost most of their user base last time. *

‎There was a time when on my trusted 9700:‎

I could look at an email and refer to the calendar from the keypad without being kicked out of my email and sent to the top of my email list.

I could work through 50 emails in *account A, exit account A - go to *account B or another app and then return to account A placed automatically at the last email (or email header) that I last looked at. **

I could delete the whole word substitution entry with a single backspace when it wasn't required in the email that I was typing.

I could find a particular word substitution entry to be edited by simply typing the shortcut instead of having to scroll through every bloody one - especially when most of mine are +1000 word reply emails that just need a date or fee total to be edited * *

I could, after having worked through 90 emails, check the next email by search by sender without being sent back to the top of the 90 emails I'd already reviewed. *

I could search by emails sent or by emails received.

I could precisely hone my search with specific key data in various fields. *

I could search for a word/phrase in an email.*

I could select from any list by keying the first letter of the listed item. ‎

I could delete 5 emails in quick succession by simply backspace - return five times without experiencing any lag. It could be done 20 times and the next 20 emails would be duly deleted. ‎

I could fwd a previously sent email to the same recipient by copy paste from the keypad. ‎

....I've just updated the BlackBerry software. Now, sometimes it takes a good 20 seconds for the email reply screen to sort itself out before it goes from a blank white screen to something that resemble a reply email interface. ‎

And there's more... there is no distinctive end call button and the call does not always end.*

I've said this before (after having wasted 500 on the playbook) - RIM does not deserve to be in business with such fundamental failings.*

Classic! The only thing classic about this phone is the replication of all the classic mistakes made in every post 9700 handset.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 10:13 PM
    These things are not important to everyone. Just get yourself an iPhone or Droid.

Posted via CB10
    Hahahahaha.. well said!!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 10:44 PM
    Yes I think you are right, time to move on

I am a die hard BlackBerry fan but it seems that the RIM'S Technology now imitates life - aesthetics wins out over substance.

It's a pity because the substance and integrity was there - it must have suffered a stroke (or swipe) which wiped out its core logic.

I've only had one major rant before, that was born out of frustrated disappointment on having blindly bought the Playbook on the merits of the BlackBerry devices to date - look how the Playbook turned out (rant attached).

When I finally got bored of trying to get my Playbook screen to wake up, I went out and bought a Nexus 7 - that has a good word substitution/macro feature that works a well as the BlackBerry's but is not so intuitive or capable with multi email accounts.

So yes, android is probably the way fwd. Perhaps I'll catch up with the former BlackBerry business user base that saw sense a couple of years back.

Good luck to those of you that remain.
    Attached Files
    03-27-15 06:55 AM

I am a die hard BlackBerry fan but it seems that the RIM'S Technology now imitates life - aesthetics wins out over substance.

It's a pity because the substance and integrity was there - it must have suffered a stroke (or swipe) which wiped out its core logic.

I've only had one major rant before, that was born out of frustrated disappointment on having blindly bought the Playbook on the merits of the BlackBerry devices to date - look how the Playbook turned out (rant attached).

When I finally got bored of trying to get my Playbook screen to wake up, I went out and bought a Nexus 7 - that has a good word substitution/macro feature that works a well as the BlackBerry's but is not so intuitive or capable with multi email accounts.

So yes, android is probably the way fwd. Perhaps I'll catch up with the former BlackBerry business user base that saw sense a couple of years back.

You think you are die-hard BlackBerry fan but I'm afraid IMHO you are not. Using a decrepit Playbook doesn't make you a die-hard. A true die-hard would have had most or some of the BB10 devices and know how to use them fairly well. You were stuck in BlackBerry's past.

Good luck in your new pasture.
    03-27-15 07:18 AM
    Hi wincyUT

Read the Post(s) - I ditched the Playbook within a few weeks back in 2011. I've got a Q10 - Read the Posts!
    03-27-15 07:48 AM

BlackBerry was the platform for me for over 10 years, and then I moved on. Lack of access to subfolders in email over BIS was the problem. So things change. I went Symbian, Android, Palm's WebOS, WP, and iOS. And now my mobile priorities have changed again and I'm giving BlackBerry another shot. Right tool for the job at each particular phase of your life.
    03-27-15 06:57 PM
    The people suggesting another platform like ios or android are sort of missing the point. Nearly everything he is talking about has been addressed already, quite nicely I might add, and going to another platform is most definitely NOT going to offer the same functionality as BB7 or BlackBerry 10. Using another platform altogether would probably lead to an even worse experience for the OP.

Adapting to BlackBerry 10 for a longtime BlackBerry 7 user, at this stage in the game, is going to be more intense than if these users had bought into BlackBerry 10 at launch. The good news though, for late comers, is how the improvements made to BlackBerry 10 since launch are vast and now they have the familiar hardware with the Classic as well.

The people who are still using BlackBerry 7's are the ones who are obviously not huge fans of change, which is precisely why they're still using Bolds or whatever. When these folks finally do change, at least BlackBerry 10 is here for them. I say this because it would be even worse if they went to ios/android/windows from BlackBerry 7 (as mentioned). The productivity side that is. BlackBerry 7 people also don't care about the amount of apps available to them.

Anyways, it's good to see BlackBerry is making the effort to make the upgrade process better for BlackBerry 7 fans, by building the Classic.

Give it some time, after awhile, BlackBerry 10 is WAY better. Embrace change!

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 07:29 PM
    I feel the OP's pain and workarounds are a bandaid for wounded design.

Everyday I use it I'm reminded the Classic I have is not the Classic I truly want. However, the alternatives are even worse.
    03-28-15 02:17 PM