Seeing as BlackBerry gave all the 'boomage' for the passport... passport this passport that it's coming soon !!! previews posters advertisements etc it never fking ends!! (Don't get me wrong... its awesome and its the flagship device) but come on BB show some love for the Classic?

So how come BlackBerry have all been 'hush hush hush' on the Classic? are they afraid of something? or they're not telling us something? what about you guys? or is it just how they are??

- Good thing about being all hush hush?
    - Bad Thing about being all hush hush?

Seriously... I've never known them to be all hush/secret/silence about a phone that is supposedly the successor to the Legendary BOLD9900...

Come on BlackBerry why all the secrecy?

And still... we don't even have an official spec list yet let alone an official release date.... what the hell is going on.

Thoughts guys!

grrr
    09-28-14 11:42 AM
    I believe the secrecy is due to not wanting to take attention away from their current baby, the Passport. It just launched and they'll wait a month or two before they begin to market the Classic before launch.

Posted via CB10
    D.Vader and troubauk like this.
    09-28-14 11:46 AM
    I believe the secrecy is due to not wanting to take attention away from their current baby, the Passport. It just launched and they'll wait a month or two before they begin to market the Classic before launch.

Posted via CB10
    So you really think the classic will outsell the passport? 0_o maybe that's what they are afraid of... it just seems weird...

Example.

Look at good old Samsung... chucking out 5 to 8 phones at once lol (they don't care they want the money lol)
    09-28-14 11:50 AM
    My take on the matter is that the integration of the toolbelt into BB10 is not ready yet and they don't want to rush it on the market before it is bulletproof (I hope they will not do that, at least).
    KDB84 likes this.
    09-28-14 11:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    I think that's part of it, but the other part is they know they'll take heat for the "retro" Classic, being "stuck in the past" and so on. They needed to separate that from the Passport buzz.

I think (since you asked) the Classic is going to turn out to be a "guilty pleasure" phone. Which could work out okay for BlackBerry, as long as they don't try to market it as cutting edge.

Posted from my Q10.
    09-28-14 12:18 PM
    Seeing as BlackBerry gave all the 'boomage' for the passport... passport this passport that it's coming soon !!! previews posters advertisements etc it never fking ends!! (Don't get me wrong... its awesome and its the flagship device) but come on BB show some love for the Classic?

So how come BlackBerry have all been 'hush hush hush' on the Classic? are they afraid of something? or they're not telling us something? what about you guys? or is it just how they are??

Seriously... I've never known them to be all hush/secret/silence about a phone that is supposedly the successor to the Legendary BOLD9900...

And still... we don't even have an official spec list yet let alone an official release date.... what the hell is going on.

Thoughts guys!

grrr
    3 things

1) The classic was never said to be the successor to the 9900. That's something this board made up. The bold series is currently dead in bb10 world and you have a number of options to replace it. The classic is named so because it recreates the classic experience with the toolbelt. That's where the name and promises end.

2) likely because the passport is what is ready now and what they want you to focus on. They don't want you to hold off buying a passport to see what the classic does. They want solid launch numbers. And that seems to be a wise move.

3) classic won't have a lot of talking points. It's not a spec hound. The guess is they will unveil it at the coming bes conference in San Fran. It would be a decent addition to a software focused show. I think that's coming any week now

Posted via CB10
    UrbanGlowCam and idssteve like this.
    09-28-14 12:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree with this.

In the back ground I bet they are gearing up for a huge, impressive Classic launch. They have to market and show the Classic off much more because I'm sure the initial reactions from the general media towards it will be a huge 'MEH'.

BB needs to be very careful on this Classic launch and marketing.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    09-28-14 12:24 PM
    What secrecy? JC showed it in public along with the passport. He even mentioned that it will launch in a "few" months during the Passport launch.

The phone will get officially introduced when the time is there and they can actually sell it. And besides, they just launched a phone less than a week ago. That's where they want the focus at the moment. There's no point in mentioning stuff about a phone whose launch date isn't even publicized yet.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 01:45 PM

Thoughts guys!

grrr
    What are you babbling about?
    SK122387 likes this.
    09-28-14 01:47 PM
    So you really think the classic will outsell the passport? 0_o maybe that's what they are afraid of... it just seems weird...
    It's hard to tell, but I believe JC said he expected it to appeal to a broader market. It's very possible it will outsell the Passport if priced right.

I think that's part of it, but the other part is they know they'll take heat for the "retro" Classic, being "stuck in the past" and so on. They needed to separate that from the Passport buzz.
    Agreed, though I think they want to wait to market it with BES 12 since it is the marriage of BES 5 & 10. It is the right device to cater to legacy users as well.

What secrecy? JC showed it in public along with the passport. He even mentioned that it will launch in a "few" months during the Passport launch.

The phone will get officially introduced when the time is there and they can actually sell it. And besides, they just launched a phone less than a week ago. That's where they want the focus at the moment. There's no point in mentioning stuff about a phone whose launch date isn't even publicized yet.
    JC showed it in doses. It was an old revision of the phone at the Q1 2015 earnings. They have been pretty hush hush on how the toolbelt will work and the official specs. Much of the details on the phone SHOULD be revealed this coming week with the 10.3.1 Beta SDK. We said that last month when it was slated for an August release, but it was pushed back to this month. I doubt they'll miss it again. September ends on Tuesday.
    09-28-14 01:58 PM
    OP, legit question. What do you expect to hear from BlackBerry? Full specs? Release dates? Launch date? Fill us in!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 01:59 PM
    One at a time = people dont hesitate. If you put 2 at the same time, people will just wait to decide.
    09-28-14 02:06 PM
    Secrecy is simply because they want maximum sales from the Passport. It's something new and exciting so they want to push it as much as possible

The Classic, will definatly sell more than the Passport, simply because it's "home" to many people who are coming from BBOS and also from all qwerty users. So they don't need to market it as much.

BlackBerry 10 Wallpapers (BBM Channel) C004635F8
    09-28-14 03:09 PM
    "Secrecy" is understandable. No need to steal steam from the Passport, at this point. The Passport should be an eye catcher in the stores. Curious iPhoners might just notice it, play with it, recollect how boring their glass keyboard has become, check the price and think, hmm.... A couple months later, the curious iPhoner returns to see the still too costly Passport and notices a "junior Passport" sitting there with somewhat more palatable pricing and dimensions and says: "I can do this..." ??? One possible scenario???
    09-28-14 03:30 PM
    Blackberry will be cool again, because it's different. Which is pretty ironic ;D

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 03:33 PM
    What are you babbling about?
    Behave ya self! lol @ babbling!

It's hard to tell, but I believe JC said he expected it to appeal to a broader market. It's very possible it will outsell the Passport if priced right.

Agreed, though I think they want to wait to market it with BES 12 since it is the marriage of BES 5 & 10. It is the right device to cater to legacy users as well.

JC showed it in doses. It was an old revision of the phone at the Q1 2015 earnings. They have been pretty hush hush on how the toolbelt will work and the official specs. Much of the details on the phone SHOULD be revealed this coming week with the 10.3.1 Beta SDK. We said that last month when it was slated for an August release, but it was pushed back to this month. I doubt they'll miss it again. September ends on Tuesday.

Exactly. JC, has showed different revisions... they have been changing this phone all the time behind closed door.

OP, legit question. What do you expect to hear from BlackBerry? Full specs? Release dates? Launch date? Fill us in!

Posted via CB10
    Legit Answer!

We should of heard by now a full speccy list and some early screenshots of an official version not leaked pictures.

And the god damn Launch Date!
    09-28-14 07:36 PM
    Classic, far from secret, shown off same rime aa PP. Thr general concept announced months before that.

This one is a no-brainer and probably eady money for BlackBerry. Will be lower margin though.

Chen had another run of 700000 Bolds made. Probably most pre-sold to enterprise clients.

Classic will be similar, many are probably already sold. He said PP passed break even with the first day of orders. Classic had to integrate the belt but otherwise is not breaking new ground. So at a lower price will also make money at modest volumes compared to Apple or Samsung.

Then again Passport is proving to be a big surprise and might do very well.

I think enterprise will order a crapload of Classics, probably 4 or 5 times aa many aa PP. Lower lost price ans lower margin but will be a big moneymaker

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    H4zN likes this.
    09-28-14 09:04 PM
    Legit Answer!

We should of heard by now a full speccy list and some early screenshots of an official version not leaked pictures.

And the god damn Launch Date!
    With all due respect, I disagree with this. John Chen announced an October release for the Passport and November release for the Classic. The Passport is receiving impartial shine at the moment, which is good and we don't want to cut that off just yet. We're just a few days from October and I guess we'll have to wait till the end of the month until the Classic gets officially announced and full specs and availability dates are published. It's the right thing to handle this in my opinion, because the Passport will receive a lot more shine after carrier availability.

It's kind of unfair for the ones who are waiting for the Classic and aren't interested in the Passport, but business wise this is the way to do it!

Just my 2 cents bro!
    Last edited by H4zN; 09-29-14 at 06:29 AM.
    09-29-14 04:29 AM
    No problem!

Fair Point!
    09-29-14 06:21 AM
    I wonder how many people are waiting to try out the Classic before deciding on it vs the Passport? Probably not a huge number, but just curious.
    Personally I'm waiting for the Classic, and while the Passport looks very interesting and has me excited, I'm just not sure it could be my daily driver just yet. I mean, I thought the Z30 felt big lol
    09-29-14 08:44 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry thinks that BB Classic will outsell the Passport. The Passport is kind of a new form factor for them, and something completely different than whats on the marketplace. Given it's uniqueness it wouldn't make sense for them to bundle the advertising of the BB Classic (which looks and kind of works like a throwback) into that mix.

It would be a contradictory marketing message. BlackBerry won't need to market the classic as much, it will be a form factor that the old school BBOS7 guys will recognize and may adopt due to the phone adopting so many of their previous phone's features.

Look at good old Samsung... chucking out 5 to 8 phones at once lol (they don't care they want the money lol)
    Samsung is in a position of market leadership for the moment. They could put out 2 dozen phones a year and still likely make a pretty profit.

BlackBerry is attempting to recapture the enterprise customer. Passport and Classic offer the message centric businessman a compelling option to Samsung's touch screen toys.

If BlackBerry doesn't win back the businessman it won't be pretty. You can't expect BlackBerry just to release as many phones as Samsung in a year, Samsung plays in the consumer marketplace and the expectations of the consumer and businessman are vastly different. The consumer will complain when they can't get to their cloud music. The businessman could potentially be loosing money by not having access to their email.
    09-29-14 09:24 AM
    My belief is that they believe the secrecy promotes interest which will translate into sales. What they need to do is build a phone with a good operating system that will run android or IOS programs making it attractive to other users plus make the phone available to those that want it instead of the horrendous waiting periods. It's easier to buy an AK47 than a passport. Die hard bb users will more than likely stay with the devices offered but the person thinking of buying a new phone won't buy a blackberry if they're looking for apps and user friendliness. They're heading in the right direction but marketing gimmicks and silly secrecy won't get people to buy the devices. The Z10 and Q10 are perfect examples. I have a Q10 but no one I know likes it because of the lack of apps. Apple and Android will rule the cellular world because of apps.
    09-29-14 12:21 PM
    The secrecy is because.... the device isn't out yet.

There are more than enough "rumor/speculation" threads going around though to fill your appetite in the mean time.
    09-29-14 12:21 PM
    I wonder how many people are waiting to try out the Classic before deciding on it vs the Passport? Probably not a huge number, but just curious.
    Personally I'm waiting for the Classic, and while the Passport looks very interesting and has me excited, I'm just not sure it could be my daily driver just yet. I mean, I thought the Z30 felt big lol
    I'm one of those people. I want to see if the screen size is a noticeable difference between that and the q10 and also performance wise if it is better.
    09-30-14 10:52 AM
    Crackberry cracks me up.

A vast majority of people out there have never even heard of BB10. there are plenty of people who've heard of BB10 or seen a Q10 but think it is just another iteration of BB0S (4,5,6,7...). BlackBerry is focusing a spotlight on the Passport so people will do a double take and hopefully realize that BB10 is a whole new ballgame - as far ahead of iOS as iOS was ahead of BBOS. The Passport is a Vanguard device to get people to be receptive of the Classic. Without the Passport's head turning looks to get people to check out the BB10 the Classic would be disregarded as a serious consideration for most people. The Passport shows people what's possible and the classic gives them a form factor that is familiar. It really is a good strategy. Hopefully it pays off with the classic selling really-really well for BlackBerry. (The iOS8 rollout hiccups and bendgate aren't hurting Passport sales either!)
    09-30-14 01:38 PM
29 12