05-17-15 07:23 PM
69 123
tools
    Dude, move to an iphone, move to an Android, do not move to ANY Windows Phone... I love MS as a company, but I've tried every platform and WP is the only one I find myself looking at the phone wondering "why did they put this icon there?" ... But maybe they might have changed some things since then. It was WP 8.1 when I last used one.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Totally fair points! It's very uncomfortable for me. The one challenge is I'm trying to participate in the Windows 10 Unified apps for IoT, desktop, Xbox one, and mobile. So I might need to switch to one to support the platform

I've been struggling to earn on my bbry apps for the last while, so diversifying is getting more attractive every day . The challenge though is I love building for the smaller guys...

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    05-15-15 12:54 AM
    Do you man.. that's the only thing that matters!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-15-15 03:45 AM
    I use to have a 1020.. honestly I was disappointed with the camera, but I really liked their OS and overall it was an awesome phone! It's always like that until the next phone comes out :/ I'm such a phone *****!

05-15-15 03:47 AM
    Yeah, I can stare at the screen all day because its so clear and beautiful!

It is for this very reason I wanted to give my oneplus a long break and snuggled up Z30 again full time. I want to look away from distractions.

 Z30
    05-15-15 03:52 AM
    I feel like a moth flying towards the light every time I turn on my S6 edge! Crazy PPI on this device

05-15-15 04:54 AM
    I was looking at the 1020 it seems to be the best balance on WP at the moment

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    It is the most iconic WP device IMHO, it is fairly decent too. That plastic unibody feels good and sturdy, the weight adds to the good feel. The camera is the prime feature of course, although it is as good as I thought. Although I might have had some overrated expectations regarding the PureView zooming.
    Performance is still good, although of course there are debates going on which are comparable to Passport-Classic performance discussions. Haven't tried Windows Phone 10, because I gave the device away, yet the first 8.1 iteration ran good.

Only downside hardware wise is the poor battery life, which barely got me through the day, and the bright AMOLED display which was prone to burn-in. After half a year you could already see the burn-in effects.

Posted via CB10
    KermEd likes this.
    05-15-15 05:07 AM
    Dude, move to an iphone, move to an Android, do not move to ANY Windows Phone... I love MS as a company, but I've tried every platform and WP is the only one I find myself looking at the phone wondering "why did they put this icon there?" "why did they arrange these icons this way in this app (core phone apps)" or "why can't you just [action] to get [result]???" as I'm using the phone. Things that seem intuitive on other phones such as switching between call details and the dialer while on a call being like tabs of "pages" on all other phones, are randomly placed icons on WP. Or how every icon is a big square icon easy to touch, things like the voicemail icon and some others are these tiny little non-touchscreen-friendly icons within other apps, how there's this annoying search button that you can't deactivate and is just far too easy to accidentally touch, or how when you're getting an incoming call, answering it is a 2-step process where you need to unlock the screen manually first, then answer the call, etc. etc. I know it's my opinion, but I feel that other than the customizable homescreen, there are so many things about the OS that just isn't intuitive. But maybe they might have changed some things since then. It was WP 8.1 when I last used one.

When I used a Windows Phone, I had to try to figure things out that I thought were basic, as well. However, once I figured it out, I thought that Windows Phone actually made more sense for most things and that the reason that I struggled so much is because I was used to how other platforms organized things in their OS. Previewing the sounds of ringtones is one thing that comes to mind.

I still couldn't force myself to use a Windows Phone for a long period of time. I'm a multi-phone person and it seems better suited for someone who carries only one phone, which makes sense because most people do carry only one phone.

As for the OP, I didn't move "from" a high-end Android device to a BlackBerry, but I did try to add a Z10 to my line-up two years ago. Android devices meet my needs far better than BlackBerry devices but if you like physical keyboards, I can understand why you would want to do what you did.
    05-15-15 08:23 AM
    I just got a classic after having the s6 for a week or so. I really wanted a physical keyboard. So far the only thing I miss is a handful of apps. But the core communication functionality is awesome.

Anyone else move from a high end android to BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    Congrats on the Classic, now enjoying playing with the new device! Come back in 2 weeks regretting the move!

Posted via CB10
    thman558 likes this.
    05-15-15 12:13 PM
    Congrats on the Classic, now enjoying playing with the new device! Come back in 2 weeks regretting the move!

Posted via CB10
    We'll see. It's not perfect by any means. But I am enjoying the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 04:14 PM
    You mean you didn't get the Classic that's been out since December lol you say it like both devices were just released and you needed to confer

Sent from my: SM-N910T/SQC100-4 T-Mobile 4G LTE
    05-15-15 04:36 PM
    We'll see. It's not perfect by any means. But I am enjoying the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I too, in the past, have switched from an iPhone to a Q10 and I loved every minute of it for about 6 months and then ended up going back to iPhone before buying a Passport.

The problem that I find is the app selection. I love love love the keypad and the hub, and BlackBerry phones in general, but there is a reason why these other platforms are popular and ultimately it is mostly due to the apps.
    I'd love to be able to use the 2 phones at the same time, or switch between an iPhone and a Classic at will but that would require having 2 lines but that's not something that I really want to do.

I may end up doing it as at least then it lets me use both devices and I could then gauge which one I end up going to more. But it's a lot of expense for an experiment really. The Classic does look like such a great phone though. And the Q10 was / is one of my favourite BB's and this looks like a great upgrade.

How are you finding the switch?
    Sorry for longish post!
    05-15-15 04:39 PM
    No.. actually I'm typing on my S6 Edge right now! I always have urges to go out and buy another passport, but using snap for android apps doesn't really satisfy me. The apps don't run nearly as smooth, (Beatport, Soundcloud, Groupon, Google Maps) are the only ones I use! I would constantly keep an eye out for new 3rd party apps and such, but I just grew tired of it especially since they are only updated 1 or 2 times per year. I feel like I can use my S6 just as much as a communication device as the passport since I have it rooted and all bloatware removed. Things lightening fast, battery life for me is great now and it has super fast charging. Other great features I use are Hangouts, Google Voice, and remote abilities to get work done both on my PC and via cell

you're right... but for messaging, there's still nothing like the HUB, it's what keeps me into BB10, im astonished how nobody copied Hub yet, it's such a time saver
    05-15-15 04:41 PM
    you're right... but for messaging, there's still nothing like the HUB, it's what keeps me into BB10, im astonished how nobody copied Hub yet, it's such a time saver
    Yeah the hub is a awesome feature. Pretty much the only OS differentiation from BB that is saving them from being completely blown out of the smartphone realm.

05-15-15 05:19 PM
    My husband and I are actually switching from Z10's to Samsung S6 and S6 Edge next month.
    thman558 likes this.
    05-15-15 10:34 PM
    My husband and I are actually switching from Z10's to Samsung S6 and S6 Edge next month.
    Smart! I love my s6 edge!

05-15-15 10:36 PM
    I could never use a Samsung galaxy device personally. Touchwiz is horrible. Plus they usually suck with GPS. I can't have that lacking. And they tend to lag.

05-15-15 11:08 PM
    Just a note, I wouldn't use the fast charging unless you NEED to. Meaning if you're setting your phone to charge overnight, use the normal charging. The fast charging is a nice feature but could be bad for your battery in the long run...

Say what? It's designed to take the charge don't see how it could be anymore harm then normal charging. I could see if the battery wasn't designed for it and putting to much juice to it but that's not the case. I have a note 4 and have had fast charging enabled from day one it's just fine. If you have some actual facts about it I would love to see them. Since I have been using it all along. Charging over night as you say I don't see the problem when the battery is at 95 or 99% it's just maintaining it. Keeping it topped off whatever you want to call it. It's not hitting it with all the power the charger has at that point. I would say 0 to 75% is where you see it charging fast at from what I have seen with my device. Not trying to be an a** just wondering if you have any real facts? Or are you just assuming it's not good for the battery.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 11:10 PM
    I could never use a Samsung galaxy device personally. Touchwiz is horrible. Plus they usually suck with GPS. I can't have that lacking. And they tend to lag.

Lol.. No lag on the Galaxy S6 lollipop OS! I know there has been lag on previous galaxy's, but Samsung has fixed the issue. I have a constant 1g of DDR4 Ram free at all times. My old passport sucked when it came to GPS, I eventually did the whole snap install and guess what, Google maps drained my battery within 30min. The issue with blackberry is they have no urgency to update their OS or apps in general. Everyone lists problem after problem and usually months later some Dev guy releases a patch for everyone to install.. My issues with the passport was double typing, a bug within the top notification bar not letting me quick reply on random texts throughout the day. Their crappy customer service was my last straw. I owned a Q10 then passport.. I finally gave it up and never looked back. In fact my CrackBerry App runs better on my S6 edge than on my passport!

05-15-15 11:33 PM
    I have a couple Samsung Tab Pro tablets. The screens are nice, they are snappy and there is any/all apps. That being said I would not own an Android phone because the OS, to me, is no where near as smooth or integrated for communication. I own and run a business and my Passport is unmatched for getting work done and communicating through out the day with clients. There is simply nothing like the Hub to manage multiple email and social media accounts. When I get home and want to zone out and read I kick on BlackBerry Blend with my tablet and I am covered on all fronts.

Posted via the CrackBerry App with my Samsung Tab Pro 8.4
    05-15-15 11:39 PM
    Lol.. No lag on the Galaxy S6 lollipop OS! I know there has been lag on previous galaxy's, but Samsung has fixed the issue. I have a constant 1g of DDR4 Ram free at all times. My old passport sucked when it came to GPS, I eventually did the whole snap install and guess what, Google maps drained my battery within 30min. The issue with blackberry is they have no urgency to update their OS or apps in general. Everyone lists problem after problem and usually months later some Dev guy releases a patch for everyone to install.. My issues with the passport was double typing, a bug within the top notification bar not letting me quick reply on random texts throughout the day. Their crappy customer service was my last straw. I owned a Q10 then passport.. I finally gave it up and never looked back. In fact my CrackBerry App runs better on my S6 edge than on my passport!

I never said anything about BB. I just don't think the galaxy line is very good. I need better battery life as well. I currently use a Nexus 6 and Q 5.

05-15-15 11:50 PM
    I never said anything about BB. I just don't think the galaxy line is very good. I need better battery life as well. I currently use a Nexus 6 and Q 5.

I noticed a big improvement with battery life after rooting and removing the bloatware. I have never used a nexus but I've always heard positive reviews about them.. The S6 is a big improvement performance wise for the galaxy line up

05-15-15 11:59 PM
    Say what? It's designed to take the charge don't see how it could be anymore harm then normal charging. I could see if the battery wasn't designed for it and putting to much juice to it but that's not the case. I have a note 4 and have had fast charging enabled from day one it's just fine. If you have some actual facts about it I would love to see them. Since I have been using it all along. Charging over night as you say I don't see the problem when the battery is at 95 or 99% it's just maintaining it. Keeping it topped off whatever you want to call it. It's not hitting it with all the power the charger has at that point. I would say 0 to 75% is where you see it charging fast at from what I have seen with my device. Not trying to be an a** just wondering if you have any real facts? Or are you just assuming it's not good for the battery.

Posted via CB10
    Um, it's called science. There's no "designing" for it or not. The reason why rechargeable batteries such as Li-Ion batteries start to not hold as much charge as the years go on is because of imperfections in the internal contacts within the battery. Those get worse over time due to corrosion. Do you know what speeds up that corrosion? Heat. Do you know what causes more heat? Faster charging. So again, use it when you need it. When you don't need the speed (charging overnight) use the normal charger. But if the only way you're happy is to make use of it 100% of the time even if it is to stay on the charger for 8 hours anyway, then hey, knock yourself out and clap happily to yourself as you watch it rapid charge.

05-15-15 11:59 PM

Google maps drained your battery in 30 mins? I call BS. I did a 2.5 hour drive across my state using google maps navigation, while listening to my mp3's, all while streaming via bluetooth to my car's audio, without being charged, and it still had battery life left when I got there. And this is using my Classic, which has a smaller battery than the Passport. And yes, screen was on using the navigation the entire time. Ironically, do you know why I wasn't charging the phone as I did that? Because my passenger with her Samsung Galaxy needed to charge her phone because it was already dying and it wasn't even noon yet...

Mausje75 likes this.
    05-16-15 12:03 AM
    There are no shortage of posts on Android Central about the less than stellar battery life of the new Samsung S6. The Passport and Classic generally have very good battery life. I have 5 different emails and use my Passport heavily. I usually get close to two days.

Posted via the CrackBerry App with my Samsung Tab Pro 8.4
    05-16-15 12:16 AM
    Google maps drained your battery in 30 mins? I call BS. I did a 2.5 hour drive across my state using google maps navigation, while listening to my mp3's, all while streaming via bluetooth to my car's audio, without being charged, and it still had battery life left when I got there. And this is using my Classic, which has a smaller battery than the Passport. And yes, screen was on using the navigation the entire time. Ironically, do you know why I wasn't charging the phone as I did that? Because my passenger with her Samsung Galaxy needed to charge her phone because it was already dying and it wasn't even noon yet...

I never said I used a classic, I used a passport. Unfortunately the battery died quickly and I've read on CB threads it's happened to many others. Guess you missed that statement or maybe your just speculating. I have a S6 edge, I don't utilize all the social media apps/games. I utilize it interchangeably with my PC via remote, Google voice, etc.. for work.. I personally haven't ran into the battery issue as I'm able to get over a day of use on it. The quick charging makes it nice in the event I end up needing it in the future. The main issue I had with the q10 was the lag when searching through tons of emails/docs. Since the classic and q10 run the same hardware I'm sure it hasnt changed dependent on your workload. The only thing I miss about BB is the hub.. I definately don't miss BB maps.. Sure you can agree since you side loaded Google maps.

05-16-15 12:37 AM
69 123