05-17-15 09:28 AM
72 123
tools
    I am in the market for a new BlackBerry. I went by the AT&T store to look at the Passport. But needless to say the only store that has one one display that in can put my hands on is 15 miles from me. So while I was there I looked at the classic. I looks nice and is bigger than I thought it would be. It was a nice phone just not what in want. But I do have one question. I used it for about 10 minutes and it was laggy as all get out. I mean bad. I would type stuff and it would show up on the screen like seconds later. Web pages were slow as molasses in the winter. This is not indicative of this phone is it? If where a person looking for a phone that saw the classic and said wow that's a nice phone and see a keyboard and the weight of the phone I would be like this is nice. But as soon as a regular person goes to use that phone and see how laggy it was, it would turn them away. This can't be How this phone is right out of the box? My z10 blew this thing away.
    05-11-15 09:07 PM
    Yes it is laggy. Maybe just a few mseconds, perhaps you will get used to it as many others. But if thats bugged you so much like it did to me, then look somewhere else or try Passport
    05-11-15 11:53 PM
    Laggy and "jumpy." Typing text messages is sometimes such a bothersome adventure. And typing "call Steve," or "text Mark," from the home screen takes MUCH longer than it did on bbos. Very annoying, but I still like it.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 12:17 AM
    I don't get how there are people agreeing? I am using the Classic and the only time I really experience any lag is while using BB Assistant/Universal Search. The browser and everything else works without issue...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    NikoB82 and eji930 like this.
    05-12-15 01:04 AM
    For me, most Android apps takes 5-15 seconds to open and kind of slow when running. BB apps open and runs pretty smooth but I only use SuperTube, Box, and CB10. Some simple things like calculator, calendar, camera can take 3-5 seconds to open. I eventually got a hang of it.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    eji930 likes this.
    05-12-15 01:27 AM
    The Classic performs identical to Z10 and Q10, it has the very same internals and there is no magical software voodoo cocktail brewing in the background which eats up all the resources of the Classic. If it is lagging this badly, there might be something wrong with the unit. Maybe it needs a reboot, maybe there is a problem with the initial installed software.

Even with battery-saving enabled, which steps down the CPU clockrate, it isn't bad at all. Of course this is no Passport for very obvious reasons but still good. As already said, if you were happy with the performance. of your Z10, you will also be happy with the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    05-12-15 02:04 AM
    Don't experience any lag apart from a few android apps that are a bit slower, but I prefer using blackberry World apps myself

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 04:13 AM
    It is frustratingly laggy, and its not just universal search. Almost every application you open takes time to load up, they try and use silly animations to hide the fact. I need a keyboard for my work, otherwise this phone would be long gone.
    05-12-15 04:25 AM
    There's a lot of lag. Few half seconds everywhere but the KB shortcuts are too good to don't like this phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 04:30 AM
    I am in the market for a new BlackBerry. I went by the AT&T store to look at the Passport. But needless to say the only store that has one one display that in can put my hands on is 15 miles from me. So while I was there I looked at the classic. I looks nice and is bigger than I thought it would be. It was a nice phone just not what in want. But I do have one question. I used it for about 10 minutes and it was laggy as all get out. I mean bad. I would type stuff and it would show up on the screen like seconds later. Web pages were slow as molasses in the winter. This is not indicative of this phone is it? If where a person looking for a phone that saw the classic and said wow that's a nice phone and see a keyboard and the weight of the phone I would be like this is nice. But as soon as a regular person goes to use that phone and see how laggy it was, it would turn them away. This can't be How this phone is right out of the box? My z10 blew this thing away.
    Pick up the new Leap it's a nice device no lag at all!

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 06:22 AM
    I had a passport before the classic and i really don't notice that big of a difference! Odd that people seem to experience quite a bit of lag.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 06:37 AM
    Once I heard the words classic and track pad. It was a definite no no. Just another reason for people to say blackberry sucks and go to Droid or IOS. Join the passport lil bandwagon. The only lagging I get is when candy crush is loading lol
    05-12-15 06:40 AM
    Pick up the new Leap it's a nice device no lag at all!

Posted via CB10
    Leap and Classic perform identical....

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 06:42 AM
    The only lag I experience is with universal search and that's rare. Even so, the lag is not bad.
    Otherwise it works as fast as I would like.
    Not sure why others are reporting such lag.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 06:50 AM
    Second that - Classic since one month and only experiencing lags while using universal search (however - not a heavy Android app user) - anybody knows why - is this really due to insufficient Hardware or software issue (hard to imagine for me that the Hardware is not capable of a swift universal search...)?

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 07:39 AM
    Laggy? Try mine S3 and you wouldn't be complaining at all, indeed, very pleased you got away from Android. Sorry buddy, I don't know how bad it is, but I never thought of my phone as "laggy" in comparison with I owned in the past. (unfortunately it's not a bold).

Posted with a BlackBerry Q10, Australia
    05-12-15 07:48 AM
    These old specs from blackberry has to stop or I'm going back to windows

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 07:55 AM
    You bought a sedan expecting it to be a high-performance sports car and then are disappointed that it's not...

But seriously, I second the others who say there is hardly any lag. The only times I get it are universal search and Android apps. And sometimes when opening the browser and waiting for a site to load up. Have we become THAT impatient that we cannot wait a few seconds for something to open? Sure, those seconds can add up over the course of the day but the Classic isn't a snail despite the "outdated" specs and I don't see someone saying they wasted an hour overall waiting for things to load on their Classic.

It's not all about the power or processing speed/chip. It's about how a device caters to YOUR needs and how it fits YOU.
    mk2234 likes this.
    05-12-15 08:10 AM
    I don't have the Classic but what I can say is that the Passport shows the occasional lag within BlackBerry Assistant too, so that might not be a problem solely attached to the Classic. The Assistant has quite some room for improvement, performance wise.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 08:15 AM
    The Classic share similar specs with Q10 and a few others. If these are not experiencing chronic lag, why would the Classic be seeing extra?
    Every BB10 device experience the occasional hiccup which is usually cleared up with a restart. Maybe it's my habit of doing weekly restarts that causes me not experience any. Even the android apps I use doesn't lag.

Posted via CB10
    mhw100 likes this.
    05-12-15 08:35 AM
    Very rarely experience a lag and have yet to experience typing issues of any sort.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 08:45 AM
    I don't have the Classic but what I can say is that the Passport shows the occasional lag within BlackBerry Assistant too, so that might not be a problem solely attached to the Classic. The Assistant has quite some room for improvement, performance wise.

Posted via CB10
    That's my experience too on the Passport, the Assistent needs some better improvement. What's worse they have removed the old, "light" universal search which was near instant on the Q10. Not everybody needs the full powered assistent.
    In addition to that I also have some typing lag on certain websites, which also occurs on the Passport, which hints at another piece of software which needs improvement.

Posted via CB10
    SunshineStateFlyer likes this.
    05-12-15 08:57 AM
    I just got my classic on Saturday and haven't been experiencing any lag. Granted, I only use the phone for messaging, reddit and cb.

Those of you with lag issues, did you notice this right away or is it something that developed over time?

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 10:18 AM
    The only lag I experience is with universal search and that's rare. Even so, the lag is not bad.
    Otherwise it works as fast as I would like.
    Not sure why others are reporting such lag.

Posted via CB10
    Same for me too
    05-12-15 10:24 AM
    No lag at all!!

Posted via my awesome Classic
    05-12-15 10:58 AM
72 123