Thanks for all your input guys. Sounds like some have lag and some have none. I am still after a Passport I guess. But we will see. Maybe the phone was so laggy because it was the display phone and probably never been updated and is on 24/7. It did feel good in my hand and had really good screen real estate for a pcb phone. It was really nice. Good build quality. Way better than any plastic android crap.
    05-12-15 06:15 PM
    Didn't know all androids was plastic but ok

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 07:38 PM
    I have a Classic and it is ridiculously laggy. I have been a huge blackberry fan for years and was so excited that the keyboard and trackpad was coming back with OS10...but I've been disappointed. Love the form...hate the function. When the competition is so smooth...it's sad that my Classic BlackBerry works poorly. Most things have a little lag on my Classic... but try to make or hang up a phone call...and I want to chuck the thing out the window.

I've had 7 different BlackBerry's...this one has disappointed so much that it's likely my last.

Posted via CB10
    TinMan555 and VeryBumpy like this.
    05-12-15 07:57 PM
    it's sad that my Classic BlackBerry works poorly. Most things have a little lag on my Classic... but try to make or hang up a phone call...and I want to chuck the thing out the window.
    Weird--Mine dials and hangs up immediately. Takes about 1 second after I press the button

From a Classic
    05-12-15 08:09 PM
    Most of my lag seems to be with Android apps... The phone seems slow like getting the caller id to identify whose calling but for the most part it's fine...
    05-12-15 08:10 PM
    OP, it depends on what you're expecting. I would have loved for the Classic to have had Passport specs, but still, for what it does, it works. Even if it "just" works, it still does. Is it the snappiest phone? No, but other than the lagginess of BB Assistant, I don't see where it takes a while for typing to show up, or anything crippling like that. The browser is just as fast as on your Z10, and the new version that comes with 10.3.1 has a lot of really useful keyboard shortcuts ripped straight from BBOS, so using it is far better than on the Z10 in my opinion. Basically just imagine your Z10 with a keyboard and toolbelt and some software tweaks to make use of those things and that's the Classic. Now if you consider the Z10 really laggy, then so is the Classic for you.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    05-12-15 09:15 PM
    Z10 with 10.3.2.500 not laggy so pointless wat up saying

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 09:49 PM
    OP, it depends on what you're expecting. I would have loved for the Classic to have had Passport specs, ...
    Careful, there's another thread that says the PP is a real ear burner. Where I might enjoy the quad-core processor, I can live without a burnt ear...
    05-12-15 10:09 PM
    It's certainly slow when I played with it in a store, but even the Passport is quite slow compared to flagships. I am not sure I would call it lags though. I have not seen a single phone that lags after 2013 under normal use for any platform. Having said that, Passport is certainly on the slow side of average mid-range phone despite the price tag and Classic from my limited time in the store is even slower even though there were almost nothing installed on the demo unit.

But look at the specs, just because BlackBerry charges you a premium, the specs are still quite dated. You really shouldn't expect much of it. I think most of the disappointments in this forum unrelated to defects boil down to unrealistic expectations, possibly fueled by the price tags of these phones. Specs-wise, you should see Passport as a mid-range 2014 phone and Classic as an economic 2013 phone. It's odd but that's the way BlackBerry makes things and prices them, so there.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-12-15 10:10 PM
    It's certainly slow when I played with it in a store, but even the Passport is quite slow compared to flagships. I am not sure I would call it lags though. I have not seen a single phone that lags after 2013 under normal use for any platform. Having said that, Passport is certainly on the slow side of average mid-range phone despite the price tag and Classic from my limited time in the store is even slower even though there were almost nothing installed on the demo unit.

But look at the specs, just because BlackBerry charges you a premium, the specs are still quite dated. You really shouldn't expect much of it. I think most of the disappointments in this forum unrelated to defects boil down to unrealistic expectations, possibly fueled by the price tags of these phones. Specs-wise, you should see Passport as a mid-range 2014 phone and Classic as an economic 2013 phone. It's odd but that's the way BlackBerry makes things and prices them, so there.

Really? A midrange phone has a 2.26GHz quad-core Snapdragon 801 CPU and 3GB of RAM? What did a flagship phone in 2014 have?

mk2234 likes this.
    05-12-15 10:57 PM
    Don't feed the trolls...

Posted via CB10
    mk2234 likes this.
    05-12-15 11:03 PM
    Really? A midrange phone has a 2.26GHz quad-core Snapdragon 801 CPU and 3GB of RAM? What did a flagship phone in 2014 have?

Take Note 4 for example released around the same time as Passport, 2.7Ghz quad-core Snapdragon 805. Snapdragon 800 variations and 801 variations are more or less identical with minor improvements. The 805 is a whole new generation.

05-13-15 01:15 AM
    Take Note 4 for example released around the same time as Passport, 2.7Ghz quad-core Snapdragon 805. Snapdragon 800 variations and 801 variations are more or less identical with minor improvements. The 805 is a whole new generation.

So... you define the difference between a flagship and midrange by simply something not having the absolute highest specs available? So is there only one flagship device out at any given time? Lol. Do you also believe in AMD's "throw more cores at it" philosophy when you're building your PC?

I mean, let's look at my PC for example, I don't have the top-of-the-line CPU, it's "only" an i5 4690k rather than an i7. And my GPU is actually a HD 7950 (2 of them crossfired), not the new R9 290x or anything like that. So does that make my PC "midrange" since it doesn't have the latest CPU and GPU despite it rating as a high-end PC when I benchmark it?? I'm a tad confused.

05-13-15 11:54 AM
    So... you define the difference between a flagship and midrange by simply something not having the absolute highest specs available? So is there only one flagship device out at any given time? Lol. Do you also believe in AMD's "throw more cores at it" philosophy when you're building your PC?

I mean, let's look at my PC for example, I don't have the top-of-the-line CPU, it's "only" an i5 4690k rather than an i7. And my GPU is actually a HD 7950 (2 of them crossfired), not the new R9 290x or anything like that. So does that make my PC "midrange" since it doesn't have the latest CPU and GPU despite it rating as a high-end PC when I benchmark it?? I'm a tad confused.

Funny how your last post exactly above mine asked me which hardware would constitute a flagship. Since you have now changed your believe that it should be based on benchmark scores, ubergizmo is one of the few sites that conducted benchmark test on Passport's performance and unfortunately it proves us both wrong, for the actual figure, you may view:
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/products/la...port,iphone-6/

Not only does Passport trail behind phones in 2014, the software combined with mediocre hardware made it performed consistently behind mainstream 2013 phone models. So it turns out I was wrong while the specs of Passport belongs to a mid-range 2014 phone, the OS made it, according to your believe of benchmarking, a lower-end phone in terms of performance. As a matter of fact, in the very bottom, ubergizmo has included a value based on performance/price table, and the Passport is in most areas the lowest value/dollar.

05-13-15 02:43 PM
    Funny how your last post exactly above mine asked me which hardware would constitute a flagship. Since you have now changed your believe that it should be based on benchmark scores, ubergizmo is one of the few sites that conducted benchmark test on Passport's performance and unfortunately it proves us both wrong, for the actual figure, you may view:
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/products/la...port,iphone-6/

Not only does Passport trail behind phones in 2014, the software combined with mediocre hardware made it performed consistently behind mainstream 2013 phone models. So it turns out I was wrong while the specs of Passport belongs to a mid-range 2014 phone, the OS made it, according to your believe of benchmarking, a lower-end phone in terms of performance. As a matter of fact, in the very bottom, ubergizmo has included a value based on performance/price table, and the Passport is in most areas the lowest value/dollar.

What exactly is that based on because I've used many phones, and even something I consider a lower end phone like my Classic has more features and performs the functions I do on my phone better than a lot of other phones I've used with better specs. The OS is a bit bloated, but that's mainly because it has more features out of the box while Android requires that you download a lot of third party apps to get the most out of it, and iphone, well, they just have simplicity on their side.

Computer benchmark scores are good to gauge because they test how they would perform in gaming, which is what I use my PC for, and they compare different hardware setups but the same OS (they ONLY compare between the same OS version and setup). How does that benchmark prove or show a phone's ability? Does it show messaging ability, the camera quality (which I understand is not that great in the Passport due to it still needing software optimization, but it'll be dishonest for me to skip it for that reason), battery life, and phone call quality?

How often do you do video encoding with your phone or other things that are CPU intensive? Serious question, not trying to be sarcastic. Maybe you do use it that way often and would need more CPU power than the phone needs to perform its core functions.

I wonder if there is a benchmark out there that would measure those things, phone function benchmarks, lol. That would be useful. But I wonder who would decide what functions have more priority (for higher scores) like are keyboard shortcuts more or less important than a heartbeat sensor? Regardless, I think having the native ability to access a large app ecosystem would probably weigh heavily in favor of iOS and Android. Personally I care the most about typing accurately and (for me) I need a physical keyboard for that. I'm too much of a perfectionist for autocorrect fails and typos. I also love the keyboard shortcuts, like the one-button shortcuts/speed-dial from the homescreen, and the shortcuts from within apps like T to go straight to the top of a list, B for the bottom, Space to scroll, U to start entering a new URL in your browser, W to access the tabs, etc... I also like the messaging system a lot better on BB10 than with any of the other systems.

How do you quantify those things? What can I accomplish by saying "my specs are better than yours"? I'm just curious. My Classic's specs suck, but somehow even those my friends have "superior" phones than mine, when their phones are not stuck to the outlet, I still always end up connecting a call faster, I always end up finding things faster, I don't really understand to be honest...

Mausje75 likes this.
    05-13-15 04:03 PM
    What exactly is that based on because I've used many phones, and even something I consider a lower end phone like my Classic has more features and performs the functions I do on my phone better than a lot of other phones I've used with better specs. The OS is a bit bloated, but that's mainly because it has more features out of the box while Android requires that you download a lot of third party apps to get the most out of it, and iphone, well, they just have simplicity on their side.

Computer benchmark scores are good to gauge because they test how they would perform in gaming, which is what I use my PC for, and they compare different hardware setups but the same OS (they ONLY compare between the same OS version and setup). How does that benchmark prove or show a phone's ability? Does it show messaging ability, the camera quality (which I understand is not that great in the Passport due to it still needing software optimization, but it'll be dishonest for me to skip it for that reason), battery life, and phone call quality?

How often do you do video encoding with your phone or other things that are CPU intensive? Serious question, not trying to be sarcastic. Maybe you do use it that way often and would need more CPU power than the phone needs to perform its core functions.

I wonder if there is a benchmark out there that would measure those things, phone function benchmarks, lol. That would be useful. But I wonder who would decide what functions have more priority (for higher scores) like are keyboard shortcuts more or less important than a heartbeat sensor? Regardless, I think having the native ability to access a large app ecosystem would probably weigh heavily in favor of iOS and Android. Personally I care the most about typing accurately and (for me) I need a physical keyboard for that. I'm too much of a perfectionist for autocorrect fails and typos. I also love the keyboard shortcuts, like the one-button shortcuts/speed-dial from the homescreen, and the shortcuts from within apps like T to go straight to the top of a list, B for the bottom, Space to scroll, U to start entering a new URL in your browser, W to access the tabs, etc... I also like the messaging system a lot better on BB10 than with any of the other systems.

How do you quantify those things? What can I accomplish by saying "my specs are better than yours"? I'm just curious. My Classic's specs suck, but somehow even those my friends have "superior" phones than mine, when their phones are not stuck to the outlet, I still always end up connecting a call faster, I always end up finding things faster, I don't really understand to be honest...

I imagine I too would be confused if I were you.
    You demanded me to show the specs is not flagship, and I did.
    Then you said specs don't matter and benchmarks determine if something is flagship. So I showed you the benchmarks which are far worse than both of us anticipated and legs behind even 2013 lower end phones like Nexus 5.
    Now you say benchmarks don't matter either, nothing could, flagship is an existential concept that has no meaning in any context.

I believe you are truly confused, and I would be too if my brain constantly pretend what I said in the past never existed and keeps contradicting myself in every sentence. The problem is not in this thread, it is in you.

05-13-15 04:21 PM
    Careful, there's another thread that says the PP is a real ear burner. Where I might enjoy the quad-core processor, I can live without a burnt ear...
    It's not. It does get pretty warm but it's far from burning anything and also it applies only to longer calls around one hour or more. Definitely no reason to intentionally miss on a faster processor. Nothing against the Classic of course, I just wanted to make this clear.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 04:26 PM
    I won't jump into the PC/specs argument but I will state that mine is less laggy than my Iphone 6 was. There were numerous times that my Iphone would not type for up to 10 seconds then would type everything I had. It wouldn't change screen aspects when rotated sometimes, apps would crash. It was a nightmare for me. Since I just did the upgrade to 10.3.2.680 this thing is really fast.

Your mileage may vary.

Verizon Classic / 10.3.2.500
    05-13-15 04:26 PM
    I imagine I too would be confused if I were you.
    You demanded me to show the specs is not flagship, and I did.
    Then you said specs don't matter and benchmarks determine if something is flagship. So I showed you the benchmarks which are far worse than both of us anticipated and legs behind even 2013 lower end phones like Nexus 5.
    Now you say benchmarks don't matter either, nothing could, flagship is an existential concept that has no meaning in any context.

I believe you are truly confused, and I would be too if my brain constantly pretend what I said in the past never existed and keeps contradicting myself in every sentence. The problem is not in this thread, it is in you.

I think you have an issue with reading comprehension... Re-read and try again. I didn't even really argue with you... The problem seems to be in your ability to understand what is said.

05-13-15 04:47 PM
    I won't jump into the PC/specs argument but I will state that mine is less laggy than my Iphone 6 was. There were numerous times that my Iphone would not type for up to 10 seconds then would type everything I had. It wouldn't change screen aspects when rotated sometimes, apps would crash. It was a nightmare for me. Since I just did the upgrade to 10.3.2.680 this thing is really fast.

Your mileage may vary.

There is another version of 10.3.2?? And I don't remember ever seeing an iphone lag. It's a pretty simplistic phone and usually runs very smoothly from my experience.

05-13-15 04:49 PM
    Regarding lag when typing: if you're typing in a Web form on a BB10 device, it is possible that there is Javascript jiggery-pokery going on that is causing the lag... like every character causes an XMLHttpRequest to send data to the server. Sometimes CrackBerry exhibits that behaviour and it would drive anyone mad. I see the lag on other platforms also (Chrome on iOS being my main non BB non PC browser) so don't attribute all that lag to BlackBerry or even the BlackBerry 10 Browser: it may be bad JS.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 05:04 PM

Your mileage may vary.

I get similar at times with my android bible. I wish the programmers would make a version for BB10 because it's clear that Android environment isn't perfect, YET...
    05-13-15 06:10 PM
    There is another version of 10.3.2?? And I don't remember ever seeing an iphone lag. It's a pretty simplistic phone and usually runs very smoothly from my experience.

Yep it's recent and its awesome. Check the Beta OS10 forum for info. And I was surprised at my Iphone too. I had a 4, then 4S, then 5 then 5S and didn't have any real issues. That last OS push they did was horrible for me and the Classic hit Verizon so I jumped while my phone was worth more than a new Classic. I haven't regretted it since.

05-13-15 06:11 PM
    Are we still talking about the Classic?

Posted via my awesome Classic
    05-13-15 06:23 PM
    Yep it's recent and its awesome. Check the Beta OS10 forum for info. And I was surprised at my Iphone too. I had a 4, then 4S, then 5 then 5S and didn't have any real issues. That last OS push they did was horrible for me and the Classic hit Verizon so I jumped while my phone was worth more than a new Classic. I haven't regretted it since.

Yah, after I saw your post I went to the leak OS forum, was trying to look through the findings thread and the first 4 pages was all people talking about loading the OS, leaking from the beta program, blah blah blah blah. So annoying... Anyway, I might load it, I'll see.

05-13-15 06:31 PM
72 123