I'm one of those people that had BlackBerry for a few years as my first smartphone and then switched to iPhones and now I'm in this middle ground where I don't know where to go next. Always loved my BlackBerry but didn't really like any of the devices they've released with BB10. The Classic is definitely calling my name... but, I'd be very surprised if it didn't have a removable battery. I'd be okay with that if it at least had a 3,000 mAh battery or something similar to the Passport.
    09-28-14 07:42 AM
    Sorry to point out the obvious but do you really expect innovation from a device self described as "Classic"?
    Exactly!! That's my point!
    /thread

pin:2B7CAF06
    09-28-14 08:03 AM
    I would hate a touch sensitive keyboard. That's why I want a keyboard, to avoid touch gestures on a keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 11:32 AM
    In an ideal world, everyone would be able to create and buy a phone to their own specs and needs; like a PC.

One Plus One android is sort of trying that but there are soooooooo many options and features in phones, due to costs, they can only create a mere half dozen or so.

You will like and accept what BB puts in the Classic or not buy it. Simple as that.
    09-28-14 12:34 PM
    I'm one of those people that had BlackBerry for a few years as my first smartphone and then switched to iPhones and now I'm in this middle ground where I don't know where to go next. Always loved my BlackBerry but didn't really like any of the devices they've released with BB10. The Classic is definitely calling my name... but, I'd be very surprised if it didn't have a removable battery. I'd be okay with that if it at least had a 3,000 mAh battery or something similar to the Passport.
    It's nott a huge upgrade in batt life from a q10, but miles ahead of any. Iphone, other than the 6+. BlackBerry os is like one of those things where once you lean to use it, you can't move elsewhere. Imo. At least.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 12:49 PM
    Why not give the new Classic 3GB RAM and quad-core processor like the Passport? I know, I know. Some of you might argue that there is such a thing as "too much RAM". But the cost will be marginal, which I'm sure people would like to pay for just to have that extra bump in performance.
    You are assuming the size is adequate for both the battery and thermal performance. One could wish the unit came with a Satellite for DirecTV.

Why not give it the touch-sensitive keyboard, get rid of the trackpad in the middle and still provide shortcut keys capability? The Blackberry logo can go where the trackpad is and the top of the screen can be used for extra real estate. I mean, do we really need to put "Blackberry" across the top of the phone?
    The BlackBerry logo across the top is a bit much, but perhaps they had a reason not to use that area for screen beyond just "hey lets waste that great screen space and put a logo there guys".

I don't want them to get rid of the belt. The whole point of this phone is to get the old school BBOS7 guys on BBOS10. This is the perfect migratory phone for that. I like actual buttons, I will ditch my Z10 for this model in a heartbeat.

Why not give the front camera auto-focus?
    Has it been verified that the front camera doesn't have auto focus? Did BlackBerry say this or a third party? I'd find it hard to believe any smartphone camera would have manual focus. :-P

How about that charging dock option? When I'm at work or at my home office, I'd like to sit the phone upward so I can see screen activity while it's being charged.
    All BlackBerry phones have optional accessories that generally cover most charging scenarios.
    09-29-14 09:14 AM
    Wow - that makes no sense at all. BlackBerry has been know for that for years.
    How does that make no sense? To date the best iteration of the keyboard models has been the 9900 series with touchscreen. The Classis is an evolution of the 9900 series which is huge step in getting back where they were. I wish they woul change the company name back to RIM honestly.
    crucial bbq likes this.
    09-29-14 01:16 PM
    There should be two versions of the classic.

Classic Curve - entry level Classic that employers can hand out by the hundreds
    Classic Bold - higher spec'd phone more akin to the Passport.

The reason everyone ditched old BlackBerry for iPhones and Androids was because those platforms offered more. More features, more toys and better specs.

Keep on saying "tools, not toys" and the competition's toys that people want will quickly have all the tools people need. (Wait, we're already there...) This is a great way for BlackBerry to ensure they stay behind the competition.

Designing the Classic as a Q10 with a belt in no way gets people excited. It just means that the BlackBerry is the "phone the company makes me carry around" next to my iDroid.
    allwi and Lefty724 like this.
    10-04-14 09:04 PM
    Classic Curve
    Classic Bold

I like that idea! you should be working for BlackBerry dude lol

Why can't john chen and BB team just do this? lazy good for nothin !!!
    10-04-14 11:09 PM

The reason everyone ditched old BlackBerry for iPhones and Androids was because those platforms offered more. More features, more toys and better specs.

Keep on saying "tools, not toys" and the competition's toys that people want will quickly have all the tools people need. (Wait, we're already there...) This is a great way for BlackBerry to ensure they stay behind the competition.

Designing the Classic as a Q10 with a belt in no way gets people excited. It just means that the BlackBerry is the "phone the company makes me carry around" next to my iDroid.
    You're wrong, I am excited about the Q10 with toolbelt. I don't see how BB could have made a more perfect phone for me. keyboard, send/end keys 3.5" screen, internet that beats the competition,(unless flash is gone for good), and apps that are almost as good as any other brand.

The only area of concern for me is the size, it is getting plenty big for a shirt pocket.

I realize not everybody thinks this is the greatest phone since ever,but thats ok also.
    10-05-14 09:08 AM
    I'm not sure which camera is called front and which is called back.

But in case the OP is talking about missing auto focus on the camera that faces the user, then I would not worry.

After all the main purpose of this camera is mainly for low res video calls and that a small aperture fixed focus lens (like the 9900 currently has) should be plenty enough.

I'm more worried about the non-removable battery, the lack of a charging cradle and the lack of convenience keys.

I guess Blackberry wanted to save money somewhere and this became the choice.

Never the less, I'm ready to suck it up and go along with it.

But should the classic meet expectations and become a hit, I would absolutely expect these missing features to be offered in the next generation classic successor.
    10-05-14 09:42 AM
    My initial inclination was to hold out for the classic, believe it or not for the END call button alone!

However the low end specs especially the display, combined with the impressive build quality of the passport made me switch. BTW still waiting to receive it.

I've been on a z30 for a while, and have only partially gotten used to no END call button, but lack of LTE here on AT&T is starting to irritate me when we're out and about and I have to use my wife's phone to search something.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 10:43 PM
    My head hurts reading this thread.

The trackpad was brought back because people liked it. It works, and having both the Classic and Passport, I can say that I like the trackpad just as much as I like the capacitive kb. For the long time BB users, I can see the appeal of familiarity over ingenuity. Like others have said, if you want something more innovative, this might not be the phone for you.

Your idea of replacing the trackpad with the logo and increasing the screen real estate does sound good, however by doing so, they would have to make it wider as well because you don't want a billion different aspect ratios across devices. But this was the size they were looking for, and considering their goals and target audience, they nailed it in my opinion.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Xenolock likes this.
    10-06-14 07:28 AM

Why you and the others cannot grasp the notion that this phone is designed for one, very specific, niche segment of the population is beyond me.

You can argue about the specs (or lack there of) all day long if it suits. Just keep in mind that if you don't want one then don't buy one, the phone is obviously not for you.

Doesn't matter though. I'll bet the farm that the Classic is going to be an introductory phone only, and only in production for a limited time. Like the Z10, the Classic is going to all of a sudden take second fiddle to the Classic II, which will be the Classic but with better specs and performance, by the end of summer 2015.
    allwi likes this.
    10-06-14 11:27 AM
    ... to the Classic II, which will be the Classic but with better specs and performance, by the end of summer 2015.
    Sounds good - my contract expires at that time
    10-07-14 02:38 AM
    My initial inclination was to hold out for the classic, believe it or not for the END call button alone!

However the low end specs especially the display, combined with the impressive build quality of the passport made me switch. BTW still waiting to receive it.

I've been on a z30 for a while, and have only partially gotten used to no END call button, but lack of LTE here on AT&T is starting to irritate me when we're out and about and I have to use my wife's phone to search something.

Posted via CB10
    I'm with you on that. Really do love the "belt". That's why I'm still rocking the 9900. But the belt isn't the only reason. If the specs are true (on par with Q10). I'll move to the beast that is the Passport.
    10-07-14 01:45 PM
    Then it isn't a classic, it's a new model line.
    LLAmos likes this.
    10-07-14 01:48 PM
    Another missing killer feature - charging contacts and/or Qi charging.

Posted via CB10
    Chrisy, Brandon Tobias and LLAmos like this.
    10-07-14 02:37 PM
    Why not give the new Classic 3GB RAM and quad-core processor like the Passport? I know, I know. Some of you might argue that there is such a thing as "too much RAM". But the cost will be marginal, which I'm sure people would like to pay for just to have that extra bump in performance.

Why not give it the touch-sensitive keyboard, get rid of the trackpad in the middle and still provide shortcut keys capability? The Blackberry logo can go where the trackpad is and the top of the screen can be used for extra real estate. I mean, do we really need to put "Blackberry" across the top of the phone?

Why not give the front camera auto-focus?

How about that charging dock option? When I'm at work or at my home office, I'd like to sit the phone upward so I can see screen activity while it's being charged.

... just my 2cents

/J
    1) most android and IOS devices don't have auto focusing front cameras but a 3 or more MP front camera would be cool along with a 13MP OIS one in the back.
    2) 3Gb is over kill ram is not the issue 2GB with a faster speed makes all the diff 600mhz vs 900mhz ram would make a difference ..
    3) Charging dock i kind of agree with but i would prefer wireless charging ... a nice stand with wireless charging gives the device a clean look without the need for contacts and extra components for dock support..
    4) i also agree with screen res it should have been 1080 x 1080 just for that crisp look ..
    5) i also agree with the touch keyboard ... but i like how the track pad looks if the track pad does not light up would suck... track pads can fail and get worn fast so using the keyboard as a trackpad would have been cool just limit the feature set to trackpad like functions and some other gestures.
    10-07-14 11:49 PM
    But where is the Classic?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 12:40 AM
    1) most android and IOS devices don't have auto focusing front cameras but a 3 or more MP front camera would be cool along with a 13MP OIS one in the back.
    2) 3Gb is over kill ram is not the issue 2GB with a faster speed makes all the diff 600mhz vs 900mhz ram would make a difference ..
    3) Charging dock i kind of agree with but i would prefer wireless charging ... a nice stand with wireless charging gives the device a clean look without the need for contacts and extra components for dock support..
    4) i also agree with screen res it should have been 1080 x 1080 just for that crisp look ..
    5) i also agree with the touch keyboard ... but i like how the track pad looks if the track pad does not light up would suck... track pads can fail and get worn fast so using the keyboard as a trackpad would have been cool just limit the feature set to trackpad like functions and some other gestures.
    Oh Please, RAM is an issue. I fill up my RAM daily. As a result, the browser is the one that suffers - tabs get flushed. Super annoying. And I am not running super intensive apps, nor I have any background apps installed.
    3gb is a MUST from now on, especially with the introduction of the Android apps/Amazon appstore.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 07:26 AM
    Because this phone is targeted towards those people who refuse to get rid of their 9900s for that very reason. They don't want to learn any new features. They don't want a touch keyboard, they don't want 3 GB of RAM because they don't play games on their phones, etc. It's for those who value quick communications which is why the belt with the trackpad, phone, and back keys are there.

And it's got to be an inexpensive phone because corporations don't want to spend $600 or $700 on a phone for each employee, especially when they're buying hundreds or thousands of phones.

If you want all the bells and whistles, then get the Passport.
    Good points. I am quite anxious about the Classic, because it brings the new OS on to the classic platform. I haven't been excited about any BB release since the fiasco launch of the new OS which, while it matured, was sold on overpriced devices.

I wouldn't mind 3Gb of RAM but the rest of the phone looks perfect just the way it is. I'm still hoping to see some battery details but depending on retail price I am fairly sure to get one and get back to BB.
    10-08-14 07:31 AM
    depending on retail price I am fairly sure to get one and get back to BB.
    At Shop BlackBerry dual core Q10 is sold for US$ 399 while quad core Passport is sold for US$ 599 (discounted by US$ 100 from US$ 699 for the time being).

Classic may be priced at somewhere in between.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 09:26 AM
    Classic would have been perfect if it had the curved keyboard :'(

Posted via CB10
    Almost.

I was a Bold user and thought the phone pretty near perfect for my needs (business leader needing a communication and data tool, primarily). Then, Black Betty (bam-a-lam), my 'Berry started to fail. So instead of replacing it with another Bold, I got the Q10.

Not a fan.

I miss the Batwoman Utility belt (Tool belt? Not on this chica's phone!) and the curved keyboard. Text selection without the trackpad is ridiculous.

Now, I'm looking at the Classic and I'm with Mike.

It just seems, if I get it, I'll be getting the phone BlackBerry should have put out in the first place (sans curved keyboard).

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 10:01 AM
    Oh Please, RAM is an issue. I fill up my RAM daily. As a result, the browser is the one that suffers - tabs get flushed. Super annoying. And I am not running super intensive apps, nor I have any background apps installed.
    3gb is a MUST from now on, especially with the introduction of the Android apps/Amazon appstore.

Posted via CB10

well then it sounds like BB10 needs to become lighter ... becuase most Android and WP devices do well with 2 GB lets not mention the I Phones 1 GB still..
    but ill see how it goes if i can revive this Q10 i have let me see if you are right cuz i've been Android and WP a bit ...
    10-08-14 06:51 PM
94 1234