I wonder if any one could explain this to me.
    When I sleep my phone with the power button on the top edge (one click), why can the keyboard number keys, the toolbelt keys, and mystifyingly, the "U" key, wake the phone? In the past, on previous phones I think the idea was that you didn't have to wake the phone to start dialing, it just woke up at the first touch of a number key, went right to the phone app and started recording the numbers to dial. While I was never a fan of this, and never understood why we didn't have the option to turn that off, I do understand that some might like that feature so I lived with it.
    But now that this "feature" has gone away and hitting a number key does nothing except wake the phone, why is this functionality still there? If I wanted that kind of action I would have set the preferences that way. I've told the phone to sleep and until I hit that power/wake button I don't expect any action at all.
    Since you can't actually do anything with those number keys, why are they active?
    I do realize that once awakened in this way you do have to swipe to complete the wake up, but if I'm accidentally bashing number keys as I extract the phone out of my pocket, the chances are good that I'm also touching the screen. And then I'm dialing by accident, deleting things by accident and generally causing mayhem. When did we start having to be delicate in the way we touched our phones? If I wanted that I would have gone with a Galaxy Edge where nearly the whole thing is a screen and you have to hold it by your fingernails.
    Is there a way around this "feature"?
    05-14-16 01:47 PM
    The screen will wake up by pressing any of the numbers on the keyboard as well.
    Also U and enter will unlock the phone. Which is why it wakes up the screen on pressing U

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2639
    05-14-16 02:32 PM
    the screen will wake up by pressing any of the numbers on the keyboard as well.
    Also u and enter will unlock the phone. Which is why it wakes up the screen on pressing u
    the reason for the number wake up is probably for dialing emergency numbers from the lock screen.
    Unfortunately you don't have any work around from this 'feature'

z30sta100-2/10.3.2.2639

z30sta100-2/10.3.2.2639
    05-14-16 02:34 PM
    Once the phone is locked (screen off) press the U and enter key in quick succession. This will unlock the phone. U for Unlock. The thinking there was utilizing the keyboard. We have so many buttons on this awesome keyboard, let's put 'em to use!

The number buttons... i'm not sure why they illuminate the screen(note: the number keys will never unlock the phone, then will ONLY temporarily illuminate the screen.) however I find this feature incredibly useful. I can quickly check the time, and see how many emails and texts I have.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-16 04:16 PM
    I guess because I don't use a lock screen, just the power button, I can do the same as you suggest. I leave it on the hub or the email screen and with a touch of the power button I can see all I need to see in a flash.
    I do get the idea behind having lots of buttons to do stuff quick without navigating to a screen, but when I turn the screen off I'd rather it stay off until I push a specific button and not have it pop back on if I just happen to touch it in the wrong way. And I wouldn't even mind that functionality if the next accidental touch (as I get a better grasp on it) didn't do something I might not want.
    I see a lot of this type of thing in OS10 - good base idea, but not taken to it's full or even natural conclusion.

And as far as the U button goes I guess I don't understand. Pushing any button for me (including U) still requires a swipe to get to a screen to do anything. No amount of button pushes after the U will perform any function. Perhaps it's different if you use a lock screen. But without the lock screen, to me this keyboard wake thing is truly a hindrance and nothing more. You will inevitably brush the touch screen when you thought the phone was off and then all hell breaks loose.

So the sequence I have issue with is - reach in pocket - grab phone -accidentally hit a button that turns on phone - accidentally swipe screen on way out of pocket, or as you go for your keys or get some money out or, or, or, and then .... oh no, now whats happened? Have I dialed someone? Have I sent an email of nonsense? Have I engaged a roaming network that I won't find out about till I get next month's bill?
    I shouldn't have to do a diagnostic every time the phone is on when I don't expect it to be.
    Off should be off until I say otherwise.
    If the living room lights turned off every time you turned on the TV would that make any sense? (ok that might actually be a good idea) but you expect to turn the light on and off from designated light switches, not from a variety of appliances that you will come in contact with throughout the day. Especially if, when you turn those appliances on, nothing else happens except the lights go on. (Didn't I see this in a Tom Hanks movie?)
    05-14-16 10:30 PM
    Numbers will wake/light the screen when locked, as in most countries there is a regulation that states emergency numbers have to be able to be dialled even when phone is locked, ie 112..

If someone needs to contact any of the emergency services, they can dial it quickly without needing to work out how to 'wake' the device first.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    05-15-16 04:43 AM
    I think you are exaggerating somewhat - if all these things happen whilst getting your phone out of your pocket - calling every person in your contacts, sending them all a nonsense email, browsing each and every available webpage in the world, downloading 1TB of data.. clearly you are doing it wrong.

There are much more important things going on in the world today to worry about...

05-15-16 04:52 AM
    Speaking of exaggerating...

Anyway. I wasn't aware dialing emerg numbers was a requirement. That makes sense.
    I hope I never need to though because I just tried it (with finger poised to hang up - yay I can do that now that I have a physical button again!).- but nothing.
    Perhaps it's because I don't use the lock screen and the power button just takes me to where ever I was when the phone was turned off, but those number buttons (and U) do nothing except allow the touch screen to become active and then be swiped to make the phone active. Which I suppose is similar because a user could then navigate to the phone app and do that emergency thing: if they were familiar with the BlackBerry OS. Wouldn't this make more sense to function as you say it should? Again a good idea by the folks in waterloo but not completely implemented.
    I realize that once active, they could then just hit the emergency number again, but since they've already tried this and it didn't work and since they would have to know to swipe up to clear the summary screen...
    Anyway the question has been answered and I realize I am in the minority not using a lock screen, so my mileage may vary. And I see now the good reason and the need, given the legal requirement.

It does answer another question too. Since my baby bold, all my devices have had a problem typing a capital U. I always have to wait for it to catch up, often erasing and retyping letters it didn't catch. So it must be busy checking to see if it needs to wake the phone up.
    05-15-16 11:55 AM
    But nothing? Thats because you would actually have to initiate the call. When on the lock screen you'll notice that if you dial either 112 or your country's emergency number, a red bar will appear at the top telling you to press the call button. This also allows for if someone has a lock/passcode on their phone. The user doesn't need to fully unlock the phone to make an emergency call. The only reason you can wake your phone using the pressing of the keypad method, then swiping up is because you don't have a password.

In general the idea is that anyone could dial the emergency number, and not just someone that is familiar with BBOS. If you have an android or iOS device handy, try the same thing on one of those - there will be an option of sorts to dial from the lock screen, without having to enter the device fully.

I guess you could call this a safe guard against people accidentally dialling the number when getting it out of their pockets and such. Although this has never been an issue for me.

I'm not sure why your phones since your Bold have had trouble capitalising the letter 'U', i've never had this problem, and I don't recall it being posted here before - but there are many posts so if there was an issue i've either missed it, or read the first few lines of the post and then skipped the rest...

05-15-16 04:42 PM
    Correct. After I've turned the phone off with a single click of the top button, I can start dialing 911 (Canada's emerg number) , and while the screen does come to life after the first "9", i can't actually place the call. The call button (the one that used to be green) doesn't do it (although it will bring the screen to life as well) and if I swipe up on the screen to get past the summary screen, those numbers have not been captured so the green phone icon isn't there to use either. I would have to start dialing all over again. But then I don't use the lock screen. Just for fun I'm going to set up the lock screen and see if there is a difference.
    05-15-16 05:07 PM
    The screen will wake up by pressing any of the numbers on the keyboard as well.
    Also U and enter will unlock the phone. Which is why it wakes up the screen on pressing U

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2639
    u by itself works fine for me.
    05-15-16 10:51 PM
    Once the phone is locked (screen off) press the U and enter key in quick succession. This will unlock the phone. U for Unlock. The thinking there was utilizing the keyboard. We have so many buttons on this awesome keyboard, let's put 'em to use!

The number buttons... i'm not sure why they illuminate the screen(note: the number keys will never unlock the phone, then will ONLY temporarily illuminate the screen.) however I find this feature incredibly useful. I can quickly check the time, and see how many emails and texts I have.

Posted via CB10
    I learned something new today in regards to pressing a number simply for screen illumination. Thanks (I knew about U and enter)

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    05-17-16 11:50 PM
    I learned something new today in regards to pressing a number simply for screen illumination. Thanks (I knew about U and enter)

The newest member....Cobalt Classic

Posted via CB10
    05-17-16 11:57 PM