Attachment 330098
    I believe this is en engineered "clearance" gap to allow for the flex of the toolbelt and the screen so there is no rubbing going on

Same with the small light bleed between keys... clearance space to allow for movement
    Not sure that's the case, but even so, the assembly quality must be low when the gap is much wider on one side than the other (at least that's how it is in my Classic). The same with the gaps between the keys, since they are uneven and without any noticeable pattern. You will notice the irregularity in the various pictures people have so far posted in different threads.
    01-27-15 06:57 PM
    I also think it's has something to do with air flow movement to keep the device cool since their is a non removable battery so on my part of really analyze how all the right side key are very close and left has most of light bleed that's where I'm assuming the cpu and other components that my warm up

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 12:00 AM
    Not sure that's the case, but even so, the assembly quality must be low when the gap is much wider on one side than the other (at least that's how it is in my Classic). The same with the gaps between the keys, since they are uneven and without any noticeable pattern. You will notice the irregularity in the various pictures people have so far posted in different threads.
    My gap is very uniform along the entire edge, and I had a launch day device

I believe there is supposed to be a small gap, irregular or overly large gaps do not sound intentional
    01-28-15 01:36 AM
    I also think it's has something to do with air flow movement to keep the device cool since their is a non removable battery so on my part of really analyze how all the right side key are very close and left has most of light bleed that's where I'm assuming the cpu and other components that my warm up

Posted via CB10
    Mine is the opposite. The gap is wider on the right side.
    01-28-15 08:11 AM
    I believe there is supposed to be a small gap, irregular or overly large gaps do not sound intentional
    I agree. I think it's just a quality control issue. You would expect tighter tolerances in such a device.
    TJF54 likes this.
    01-28-15 08:14 AM
    I agree. I think it's just a quality control issue. You would expect tighter tolerances in such a device.
    That is exactly the point with Blackberry, their quality control record is poor. The Q10 battery contacts problem ;crooked trackpad on the 9900 ;and now the recent posts regarding the Classic. They owe it to their customers /fans, to try and do something about it-don't they? As one gentleman wrote, having been given the Q10 battery contacts solution :"thank you, but isn't it a shame you're telling me this for a 500 dollar device ";exactly.
    01-28-15 08:58 AM
    I had a Bold 9000 for 3 years. I replaced the trackball several times and the keyboard at least once. I would buy various pieces for it from Hong Kong. Back then a lot of BB's needed replacement parts, I also had to replace the plastic screen on a Pearl that got so scuffed you could barely see. Gorilla glass today is great!

This thread reminded me that the 9000's keyboard was paint on top of the plastic. As you typed, it would wear. Eventually I had keys that had circles and you could see the LEDs underneath through the keys.

Your keyboard is going to get worse. Do not return a good working device for something as trivial as paint wear on a moving flexing plastic part.

Can BlackBerry try something like dying the plastic instead of painting it? Sure. But they haven't yet. Buy a replacement keyboard when the time comes.

Back then the rage was to get the AT&T keyboard because it didn't (or did, can't remember now) have the red numbers on the keyboard when the OEM one was the opposite.

From HK you could also buy foreign language keyboards.

A work around that I would find acceptable would be if there was a software setting in the OS to turn the keyboard backlight off entirely.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 09:02 AM
    I accept that parts can wear out, but the issue here is the faulty phones are brand new, straight out of the box. When I get a new device, even though I'm sixty, I have a childlike belief that it will be perfect, and when it's not, I am disappointed. The first time I gently lobbed my Q10 on to the duvet and it turned itself off, I wasn't pleased. Q10's were doing this right from release date;I bought mine a year later, so nothing had changed.
    01-28-15 09:27 AM
    There is a significant difference here! Macbook has never had a keyboard without leak, BlackBerry has....If Mac made their notebooks without bleed and then all of a sudden release with....Point unvalid.

Posted via CB10
    The difference is Tim Cook could take a dump in a box and call it the iTerd and the press would name their children after it. If BlackBerry does anything wrong, the sky is falling and BB is doomed.
    andy957 likes this.
    01-28-15 10:16 AM
    The difference is Tim Cook could take a dump in a box and call it the iTerd and the press would name their children after it. If BlackBerry does anything wrong, the sky is falling and BB is doomed.
    I agree and you gotta blame BlackBerry for that!
    01-28-15 10:46 AM
    Hahahahahahaha!! Lol

Posted via CB10
    Jasonamarshall likes this.
    01-28-15 10:53 AM
    I returned the Classic and bought a white Q10 instead; trying to be daring :P

 BlackBerry
    kwatkins66 likes this.
    01-31-15 01:12 AM
    Keyboard backlight bleed-img_20150211_180959.jpg
    Just thought I would share a picture of the classic light bleed

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.1.1154
    02-11-15 12:13 PM
    It appears as if this light bleed is happening on many Classic devices! Definitely something BlackBerry should be looking to improve on.. not really an issue for me as I use my phone mostly during the day so I wouldn't notice and wouldn't really make me not purchase the device just for something small like "light bleed" but it's obviously rather annoying to many people so BlackBerry must sort it out

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3442
    02-11-15 12:21 PM
    I guess I'm blessed! No light bleed or keyboard issues on my Classic. Proof that not all Classics are cursed...

Using my BlackBerry Classic :-)
    02-11-15 02:08 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150211_180959.jpg 
Views:	1031 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	333050

Just like the bleed I had. The Q10 doesn't have any light bleeding through at all, by comparison.

 BlackBerry
    02-12-15 03:39 AM
    I guess I'm blessed! No light bleed or keyboard issues on my Classic. Proof that not all Classics are cursed...

Using my BlackBerry Classic :-)

No way my friend
    Sorry but every Classic has the light bleeding out there
    It's the form factor of the device
    Some of them of course have a small issue but every Classic has the light bleeding
    If you can upload a picture of yours in a dark room
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    mmk1954 likes this.
    02-12-15 03:46 AM
    I think the backlight bleed is illegitimate as an issue.

Firstly, it doesn't change nor reduce the functionality of the device in any way whatsoever.

Secondly, what they call "bleed" is actually brilliant: in the dark it produces a bright check pattern so I know exactly where each key ends. That's not a defect that's a deliberate feature, and a useful one at that.

Posted via CB10
    Naeg1995 likes this.
    02-12-15 04:43 AM

Firstly, it doesn't change nor reduce the functionality of the device in any way whatsoever.

Secondly, what they call "bleed" is actually brilliant: in the dark it produces a bright check pattern so I know exactly where each key ends. That's not a defect that's a deliberate feature, and a useful one at that.

Posted via CB10
    LOL, If you think this was intentional, you are sadly mistaken. And to call this brilliant (an improvement) is like saying the Passport (flagship) or any other previous BlackBerry is the 'old' design. IMO, any issues in the past with keyboards (ie. Q10) was not due to keyboard clearances, so that voids that idea. I am sure if you ran a poll, 98% of people would choose fine fit like most BlackBerry's before or the superior Passport build. Not this shoddy quality as of late and don't even get me started with the gap between toolbelt and screen where I could see my returned Classic's internals...

Posted via CB10
    Vintage123 likes this.
    02-12-15 11:08 AM
    The keyboard " light bleed" isn't an issue for me; but I do notice a difference from my returned device from the new one I got. There is no " light bleed" above the toolbelt on any section

Sent from my: SM-N910T/SQC100-4 PIN:2BFE4937 T-Mobile 4G LTE Facebook.com/UnFazedRebel
    02-12-15 02:10 PM
    I just got my second Classic from a guy on Kijiji whom works for Motorola. He got it free from work as a gift, unopened, sealed in the box and took it with hope this was the perfect unit. When I opened it everything looks great. Everything except the backspace key and the A (two middle keys on either side)...They are both stiff as hell compared to the other keys and the A makes a glue tacky sound versus a click...Oh god...I got lucky again. Thanks to both Digital River for the horrible at cost return process and my naivety for thinking this new phone with mfg date of 190115 would be different. I would take backlight bleed over this...Also the top of the spacebar key seems to have paint chipped off.....

Guess red passport I stay for good and can't enjoy swapping two phones! Now to try and resolve this problem...
    Last edited by shawngt2; 02-12-15 at 05:44 PM.
    02-12-15 03:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    Wow, that sets a new high for looking at things positively in life!

So, with your logic, if you buy a brand new car delivered to you and notice that there were a lot of dents on it and one door was painted a different color you wouldn't mind because these things don't take away from functionality of the car!?!?!?

And, you would call the dents "brilliant" because you wouldn't then have to worry any more about parking your brand new car in tight parking spots being afraid that people would dent it with their shopping carts!?!?!?
    Vintage123 likes this.
    02-12-15 06:36 PM
    I'm too lazy to read through all those replies. What is "keyboard bleeding"?

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    02-12-15 06:50 PM
    I'm too lazy to read through all those replies. What is "keyboard bleeding"?

Posted via CB10
    << it's when your fingers start to bleed from m using the keyboard on the Classic. #allegedly

 BlackBerry
    Vintage123 likes this.
    02-13-15 08:32 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150211_180959.jpg 
Views:	1031 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	333050

Looks like you got the same scraped off paint on your space bar top as I do. At least it looks that way from the photo. It is the only thing other than my two very stiff keys that reminds me it's not perfect..
    02-15-15 11:04 PM
96 1234