There is a very short delay with a black screen; you can't deny that. On my Passport it simply doesn't happen unless the device has just been restarted (as Mirk points out).

CB10 on my Passport
    Simply because the specs of the Classic is similar to those of the Q10, their performance would be closely similar too. Don't you think?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 10:55 AM
    The pain from this thread is instant, though!
    sam81 likes this.
    11-19-14 11:54 AM
    Notice the moment when he opens the weather app. There is a delay...

CB10 on my Passport
    SMH. OP I think you need to change your eyeglasses or rather get your vision checked.
    sam81 likes this.
    11-19-14 12:52 PM
    Yeah probably a beta version, even so that's what updates will be for to improve on performance, even my Galaxy Note 4 and Nexus 5 lag

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    You concluded it is a beta solely because there was a lag? Sorry, but there are lots of non-beta apps that lag.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    11-19-14 01:08 PM

CB10 on my Passport
    What lag are you talking about it??? The device seems extremely smooth especially with the trackpad scrolling at the hub. Opening the weather app I see no delay i think you mean the black screen which is there for half a second.....some people really puzzle me sometimes....
    11-19-14 02:32 PM
    What lag are you talking about it??? The device seems extremely smooth especially with the trackpad scrolling at the hub. Opening the weather app I see no delay i think you mean the black screen which is there for half a second.....some people really puzzle me sometimes....
    Not even half a second, I watched it, at most it was like a quarter of a second...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    sam81 likes this.
    11-19-14 04:16 PM
    Not even half a second, I watched it, at most it was like a quarter of a second...
    You do realize how much productivity is lost in that quarter of a second, though, right? While all of you are off dilly dallying and playing Candy Crush, the OP actually cares about getting stuff done.
    11-19-14 04:45 PM
    Just saw the clip, definitely not going to be the snappiest device.-s-ermahgerd-meme-large.jpg
    sam81, pantlesspenguin and ponpiri like this.
    11-19-14 04:51 PM
    You do realize how much productivity is lost in that quarter of a second, though, right? While all of you are off dilly dallying and playing Candy Crush, the OP actually cares about getting stuff done.
    You must be new here. Welcome to the forums.

11-19-14 05:00 PM
    You must be new here. Welcome to the forums.
    Thanks!
    11-19-14 05:18 PM
    See that moment of time when the screen is completely black... that's what the OP is referring to. It usually happens when the app hasn't been opened yet. If I restart my Passport and open the weather app there is a small delay when it shows only a black screen. Re-opening the app is much faster afterwards, with no black screen at all. I find it odd that some claim they don't notice it or their Passport is identical in speed (never used the weather app have we and didn't try opening it twice eh). It might not be to you but it is rather apparent to me.
    It was quickly apparent to me me ... just didn't really find it bothersome. When I first read the title, I assumed that the weather app was an Android version and the runtime was launching for the first time. That seemed pretty quick and not really unusual for any of the devices I have running the various OSes I have. Just my opinion. I'd prefer they focus their energies on making Android apps snappier than trying to eliminate a split second black screen on a weather app.
    11-19-14 06:44 PM
    You concluded it is a beta solely because there was a lag? Sorry, but there are lots of non-beta apps that lag.
    Agree. Just don't think it's really a problem with this particular app, nor unique to BlackBerry 10. ;-)
    11-19-14 06:45 PM
    Almost all my apps do that the black screen for 1/4 of a second
    BlackBerry. Z 30
    Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 06:54 PM
    For sure I won't lose any sleep over

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 06:56 PM
    PCs don't slow down over time.
    -The OS can get cluttered (thing from the past mostly);
    -Your hard drive can be fragmented badly (also rare these days);
    -The software used on it evolves and brings more functions which requires a bit more resources then before which seems to you that the PC is slower - e.g. the software usually fasts forward.

Posted via CB10
    Wrong. PC's do slow down over time if you have a Mechanical HDD. More read/write errors from a heavily used disk are a serious cause of slow down.
    That's why S.M.A.R.T parameters exist, so you can follow up how well your HDD is performing over time.

There are a number of reasons that could cause a PC to slow down and your 3 bullet summation doesn't cut it.
    -HDD fatigue
    -Malware
    -Mechanical failure
    -Sensor screwing up
    -Heat
    -Uneccesarry services being run
    -Program clutter after uninstall
    -Eronneous program termination
    -RAM fatigue
    -Registry errors
    -....about a gazillion more

Someone saying a PC doesn't slow over time is blowing smoke or not using it for anything other than playing the sample music file that came preinstalled.
    Plazmic Flame and kbz1960 like this.
    11-20-14 04:22 AM
    Wrong. PC's do slow down over time if you have a Mechanical HDD. More read/write errors from a heavily used disk are a serious cause of slow down.
    That's why S.M.A.R.T parameters exist, so you can follow up how well your HDD is performing over time.

There are a number of reasons that could cause a PC to slow down and your 3 bullet summation doesn't cut it.
    -HDD fatigue
    -Malware
    -Mechanical failure
    -Sensor screwing up
    -Heat
    -RAM fatigue
    -Registry errors

Someone saying a PC doesn't slow over time is blowing smoke or not using it for anything other than playing the sample music file that came preinstalled.
    Totally agree with you

Z10/STL100-3 RFK121LW/10.2.1.3062
    11-20-14 04:52 AM

CB10 on my Passport
    Mate, hate to tell you this, but you either have an eyesight issue or crappy internet!
    11-20-14 05:02 AM
    You do realise the 6 came out some months ago?

CB10 on my Passport
    Really?? Is that your comeback for the person you replied to?? Wow just wow, the iphone6 isn't that old and according to the iPhone apologists/fanboi's it's the fastest and smoothest OS out at the moment. But it does have the odd lag here or there so let's not BS here.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 05:07 AM
    Lol this thread is just crazy.
    Every App needs to load the libraries, UI and whatever code it has to execute, these are done one at a time, obviously it will take half a second to load.
    My app is exactly the same, it has stuff to load.

Anyone expecting a App to load everything without a visible delay needs to be slapped with a wet fish a few times.
    anon(1464249) and ponpiri like this.
    11-20-14 06:47 AM
    Clunky or buggy or laggy interface? Try ANY Android device!
    LOL you've never actually used a modern Android device, huh? The only lag I get is when I have a Samsung device because TouchWiz is pretty dang bloated. Try a Nexus 5 or HTC M8 on for size.

Back on topic, in the video the "black screen" when launching the app on the Classic just looks like an animation for me. I don't have my Z10 handy to check (plus I still have an older leak on there), but does BB10 have a setting to disable animations?
    11-20-14 08:12 AM
    LOL you've never actually used a modern Android device, huh? The only lag I get is when I have a Samsung device because TouchWiz is pretty dang bloated. Try a Nexus 5 or HTC M8 on for size.

Back on topic, in the video the "black screen" when launching the app on the Classic just looks like an animation for me. I don't have my Z10 handy to check (plus I still have an older leak on there), but does BB10 have a setting to disable animations?

The Black screen is the replacement from the OS if the dev didn't supply their own Splash screen, if you look closely there is a faint "BlackBerry 10" in the Center of the screen.
    The OS animates the opening of the frame, loading the core bits in the process then the Apps actual main.cpp is read along with the rest of it while the splash replacement shows.

BTW, used a brand new S5 recently, it was a bit slow to respond to opening conversation views ect, nothing special.
    11-20-14 08:24 AM
    The Black screen is the replacement from the OS if the dev didn't supply their own Splash screen, if you look closely there is a faint "BlackBerry 10" in the Center of the screen.
    The OS animates the opening of the frame, loading the core bits in the process then the Apps actual main.cpp is read along with the rest of it while the splash replacement shows.

BTW, used a brand new S5 recently, it was a bit slow to respond to opening conversation views ect, nothing special.
    Yep, even my Note 4 can be a bit slow to respond sometimes. Again, that's what you get with TouchWiz. It's loaded to the gills with features and gimmicks, which make certain tasks lag. I wish they'd scrap TouchWiz and rebuild a new skin from the ground up, but keep all the features.
    11-20-14 08:44 AM
    That's actually a really important point that you raise on both fronts. Stock Android and some variants are pretty snappy. Some like TouchWIZ as you say are not. I assure you, my Kindle Fire HDX (Fire OS variant) is absolutely atrocious, even after reboots, factory resets and upgrading to the Android 4.2.2 based Fire OS 4.0. It lags, freezes and stutters constantly despite pretty good hardware, where my neighbor at work (with lesser hardware's device) doesn't.

The point is that it's not always clear cut with Android. You *CAN* get a smooth implementation, but it's also easy not to based on what the manufacturer does to it.
    11-20-14 09:36 AM
    Try the Passport and then you'll realize what you are saying is inaccurate. I won't repeat what I have already posted. Mirk's post is the most objective until now.

CB10 on my Passport
    11-20-14 09:37 AM

-HDD fatigue
    -Malware
    -Mechanical failure
    -Sensor screwing up
    -Heat
    -RAM fatigue
    -Registry errors

Wow, so much... ok...

-HDD fatigue *negligible if any, if enough bad sectors come up, it'll fail SMART and it's basically time to replace
    -Malware *USER ERROR. Saying a PC is slowing down because of it is the same as saying a car is getting slower because the owner puts the wrong type of gas into it.
    -Mechanical failure *Rare if you use quality products, but even then, it's not an issue of it slowing down as much as it is malfunctioning. Again, a replacement is necessary
    -Sensor screwing up *causes overheating, which causes mechanical failure, redundant
    -Heat *which causes mechanical error, redundant
    -Uneccesarry services being run *USER ERROR
    -Program clutter after uninstall *takes up HDD space, which is bad, but doesn't slow down the PC as long as you defragment regularly, these unused files will be moved to the slowest portion of the HDD platter
    -Eronneous program termination *what?
    -RAM fatigue *really? If you're getting bad sectors on your RAM, replace it, it won't slow-down, it'll malfunction
    -Registry errors *is this part of the natural life-cycle of a PC?

And my PC actually gets faster scores now than last year, most likely due to optimization from the GPU driver updates of course...

11-20-14 06:55 PM
86 1234