So I just picked up a Classic for my sister. She likes the smaller form factor(Passport was too big) and loves herself a good PKB. She had been using the Q5, but I talked her into a Classic with contracts up for renewal. Anyway, any neat things or tricks to be aware of outside of the stock BlackBerry 10 experience?

Update :

Received it yesterday. Build quality is stunning. Love the heft and way it feels in the hand. Trackpad is unusually small when compared to my old Bold 9700 but does the job albeit a little less intuitive vs BBOS. OS is fluid as with my Z30 when new, and the PKB shortcuts are a nice bonus.

Overall based one a few hours, I like it. If it were for me and I wanted a always PKB device I'd probably opt for the Passport though.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by tufcustomer; 11-30-15 at 05:54 PM.
    11-26-15 08:51 PM
    I got one last week. Other then some known issues with FB notifications from the Hub all is good BUT I do miss my 9810 and some of it's features.
    11-26-15 09:15 PM
    Congratulations, very good choice and decision.

1st tip:
    Stick with Native and built for BlackBerry app's only and a smooth experience is promised, forget any Android app hassles.

2nd tip:
    You may consider give Sachesi or DBBTool a try, stripping down the OS10 a bit by deleting all the bloating crap and language files not needed, over all a good 1GB on space can be recovered that way making a lean system.

3rd tip:
    Get another Classic for your self too or spare for later use if no Classic mach2 will be released.

4th tip:
    Be careful, you may love the Classic a lot, it's a great devive.

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.2.+*
    ZayDub and AustinStm like this.
    11-26-15 09:18 PM

1st tip:
    Stick with Native and built for BlackBerry app's only and a smooth experience is promised, forget any Android app hassles.

2nd tip:
    You may consider give Sachesi or DBBTool a try, stripping down the OS10 a bit by deleting all the bloating crap and language files not needed, over all a good 1GB on space can be recovered that way making a lean system.

3rd tip:
    Get another Classic for your self too or spare for later use if no Classic mach2 will be released.

4th tip:
    Be careful, you may love the Classic a lot, it's a great devive.

Thanks.

1st:
    There will be some android applications. She had been using them on her Q5 also, so I'll just carry them over. Never gave her Q5 any issues.

2nd:
    Interesting tip, I'll look into that.

3rd:
    I myself am on the Z30, and waiting for a deal on the Priv.

4th:
    I'm sure she will, looks like a neat device and love the throwback 9900 look.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-15 09:28 PM
    I got one last week. Other then some known issues with FB notifications from the Hub all is good BUT I do miss my 9810 and some of it's features.
    Not really a FB user so avoids that issue. How are you liking it? How's the camera btw, I'm under the assumption it's the same one from the Z30?

Posted via CB10
    11-26-15 09:30 PM
    Sorry rarely use the camera, often forget it has one.
    11-26-15 09:36 PM
    Sorry rarely use the camera, often forget it has one.
    Lol! Fair enough. Anything you don't like in particular?

Posted via CB10
    kjmcl528 likes this.
    11-26-15 09:40 PM

1st tip:

5th tip:

Ignore 1st tip:
    Android apps I used ran very smoothly on BBOS10.
    tufcustomer likes this.
    11-26-15 09:46 PM
    Lucky you, if I had extra cash I'd jump all over the Black Friday sale.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-15 09:47 PM
    Lucky you, if I had extra cash I'd jump all over the Black Friday sale.

Posted via CB10
    Got it on contract through Rogers. Didn't have an extra $400 either lol.

Posted via CB10
    BBRYQ10 likes this.
    11-26-15 10:35 PM
    Classic has exact same specs with q10, with addition of larger screen size (not resolution) , and bold 9900 buttons and trackpad.

If you're not too much into the trackpad, I'll recommend passport

But remember that trackpad and menu button addition really makes thing so much faster. Like selecting certain hub messages and open menu. Hit send when composing messages is unbelievably convenient using the button and trackpad

 Passport via CB10 || previous device : Q10, Z3, Z10, Storm 9530, 8520, 8530, 9000, 8320
    Avenzuno likes this.
    11-27-15 08:43 AM
    Classic has exact same specs with q10, with addition of larger screen size (not resolution) , and bold 9900 buttons and trackpad.

If you're not too much into the trackpad, I'll recommend passport

But remember that trackpad and menu button addition really makes thing so much faster. Like selecting certain hub messages and open menu. Hit send when composing messages is unbelievably convenient using the button and trackpad

 Passport via CB10 || previous device : Q10, Z3, Z10, Storm 9530, 8520, 8530, 9000, 8320
    If I were getting a PKB device, I'd have opted for the Passport as well. Not for me however.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 08:53 AM
    Classic is the way to go for business... for me anyway... have my Z30 for personal use

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    11-27-15 11:34 AM
    No nothing much BUT I do miss some of the BBOS 7.1 features, life is a trade off.
    BBRYQ10 likes this.
    11-27-15 08:18 PM
    Oh man, there are so many cool things you can do on the Classic that you can't do anywhere else. I need to make a text file with everything so I can just copy/paste it everytime someone asks this, lol.

1. To minimize an app, press the call end button. Simple enough, but you can build on that. From the homescreen with the apps in active frame (minimized), highlighting one and pressing the back key will close it. So combine this with the fact that pressing call end will minimize it, if you want to outright close a program, all you have to do is press call end, then back, since it highlights the app you just minimized automatically. The benefits to this are that not only do you not need to move your thumb as much, but you can do this without looking at your phone. Swiping up and touching the x requires looking.

2. While in an app, pressing the BB button will open the overflow menu (3 dots on the bottom right). If that menu has more than one page, simply swipe on the trackpad in the direction of the other page and it'll switch.

3. To access the top menu inside apps, no more need to reach your thumb all the way to the top of the screen, simply long press the BB button.

4. As long as the phone app isn't minimized (where you might have navigated away from the main phone log), when you bring up the phone app by pressing the call send button, the last call should be highlighted, so to quickly redial the last number, simply press the call send button twice.

5. From the hub, holding the shift key and swiping up or down with the trackpad will start highlighting messages, let go of shift and you can start selecting messages that are not together by highlighting then pressing down on the trackpad. You can toggle already selected messages on and off by clicking on them. To cancel the selection, press the back button. Press the BB key to open the options for what you just highlighted.

6. Long pressing with the trackpad does exactly what long touching on the touchscreen does. Trust me, this is super useful.

7. To select text, just use the trackpad to where you want to start, then hold shift and swipe over the trackpad. Then to copy the text, just press the BB key to open the menu, "Copy" should be highlighted so you can just press the BB key again (basically press BB key twice). Then to paste the text, go to where you want to paste, and same thing, press BB key twice.

8. In the camera, if you press and hold the trackpad, the camera will refocus, then when you let go of the trackpad it will take the photo.

9. In an email, just press the BB button twice to send, unless you have text you have copied that haven't been pasted yet. If that's the case and you still want to send, make use of tip #2 and swipe in the direction of the "more" option on your trackpad, then hit the trackpad or BB key.

Hopefully someone picks up whatever I missed.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-27-15 10:40 PM
    I agree with keeping android apps to a minimum. I would also just learn how to close them in the event they go haywire. I would also get a large SD card for music, videos, and pictures internal storage is very limited. Overall I have found the classic to be a very addicting device.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 02:39 PM
    I recently switched from android to the classic yesterday! So far so good.. I do like the keyboard and android apps. I sideloaded snap where I can get Google play apps. However I'm not so sure I'm sold on this phone.. suggestions on how I can better adjust?

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 07:18 PM
    I ordered a blue Classic Tuesday. FedEx claims it will arrive Monday. I'm currently on a Passport. The Passport is too big except when typing (like now). My plan for the Classic was just to have something more convenient to carry on a daily basis. But reading the tips in this, and other threads, makes me think it'll be a lot easier to use the Classic. My poor Passport my get lonely.

Gary - Now working wide.
    11-28-15 07:26 PM
    I too took advantage of the Black Friday sale and picked up a Cobalt Blue version. It shipped and arrives Tuesday. I have a pristine White Passport as well but find it too big, for me, day to day. (love the screen, reading on it and it's speed) Great reading all the tips and things the Classic with PKB are capable of here in the forums. Love BlackBerry 10 so figured I'd give it a go and compare. (immensely enjoy my Z30 as well)

Z30 wickedness
    11-28-15 10:59 PM
    Congratulations to you guys who switched to Classic you now have the best PKB since 9900 and on the market today yes it could have more horsepower, it just works great if you don't need a ton of apps and nice size for pocket or purse .
    11-29-15 07:17 AM
    Classic is the best BB10 device for me (specs apart). Great choice.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 07:44 AM
    Not really a FB user so avoids that issue. How are you liking it? How's the camera btw, I'm under the assumption it's the same one from the Z30?

Posted via CB10
    Lol yeah right. The camera on classic sucks bad. I have my Z30 sitting here and I'm really 90% tempted to switch back. The classic is a bare bones BlackBerry with no comparison to the Z30. The Z30 is still by far the best running BlackBerry.

"Once you go Black you'll never go back"
    11-29-15 08:14 AM
    I recently switched from android to the classic yesterday! So far so good.. I do like the keyboard and android apps. I sideloaded snap where I can get Google play apps. However I'm not so sure I'm sold on this phone.. suggestions on how I can better adjust?

Posted via CB10
    The only way u can truly adjust is not to expect the Classic (or any BB10 phone) to act like an Android device. Read up as much as u can on the pros of OS10, embrace it for its own ecosystem.

I have an Android tablet running on Lollipop and find that I am less frustrated with it when I embrace all of its Android qualities. Doesn't stop me from swiping tho, lol.

I love the shortcuts on my Classic, especially when I need one hand usage, shortcut dialing in the car, fast responses to emails and messages with the keyboard and the efficiency of the Hub. Blend is a time saver when u r working on ur laptop and can check ur messages on ur device too. Love StoryMaker which is an under rated app too. The toolbelt makes website navigation easier for me especially when closing pop ups. And it fits in my pocket, purse etc.

Posted via Classic
    11-29-15 01:49 PM
    It just came in, on a Sunday in the GTA? Since when does stuff get delivered on Sunday's?

First impressions: Wow! Really nice looking device. Very understated and professional. Has a nice solid heft to it. It's not for me so haven't used it yet. Will report back once I get it to my sister.

Wish my Z30 had the metal rim around the phone instead of what I'm guessing is some plastic composite.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 03:33 PM
    Oh man, there are so many cool things you can do on the Classic that you can't do anywhere else. I need to make a text file with everything so I can just copy/paste it everytime someone asks this, lol.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Hey Slagman, first off: another 'thank-you' for the well composed and useful Classic tips!

And now I have a question for you... On the Passport, when you have a message open in the Hub, you can go to the next or previous message using a gesture (swipe in from the left and then up or down). This gesture doesn't seem to work on the Classic, though I'm unsure as to why BlackBerry would have removed it. Smaller screen size, maybe? Is there another shortcut or method to do this on the Classic?
    11-29-15 03:42 PM
51 123