Okay classic is going away. I am fine with this as long as they get this same keyboard into some newer device. This keyboard is on point.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Classic
    dollface and SK122387 like this.
    07-16-16 09:59 PM
    That might be the plan, given the rumors for the new devices.

Of course, nothing has been confirmed by BlackBerry, so...
    07-16-16 10:06 PM
    Honestly going forward I think there is a market for android with keyboard phones. I think one really important factor however will be how they market it.

The passport was poorly marketed despite the fact that is has the most modern innovative keyboard ever made with swype gestures and capacitive sensors. If they can present how powerful that is going forward well then there's hope for blackberry androids with keyboards.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 10:16 PM
    I think the passports keyboard although interesting is clunky to use. The classic has a much better layout. If they had added the capacitive touch that would have been awesome. I am hoping they go with the classic layout with the touch abilities of the passport.

07-17-16 05:23 AM
    That might be the plan, given the rumors for the new devices.

Of course, nothing has been confirmed by BlackBerry, so...
    We gotta remember that promises are meant to be broken. With that in mind, I think it's better that a new device with a pkb remains a rumor and not a fact. So let's just hope and pray that the rumors are true!

Posted via CB10
    07-17-16 08:18 AM
    I think the passports keyboard although interesting is clunky to use. The classic has a much better layout. If they had added the capacitive touch that would have been awesome. I am hoping they go with the classic layout with the touch abilities of the passport.

That would be the 'Priv' that you are referring to.

After having both the Classic and the Passport, I will say that the Passport has a much longer learning curve but, after giving them both their due 'adjustment' period, I prefer the Passport's keyboard to the Classic without contest. It's all just personal preference though, the one thing that everyone here should agree on is that BlackBerry PKBs have a place in the mobile world and always will. There is something about them that typing on glass can NEVER replace, regardless of how accurate they become.

PKB's are like vinyl records - as much as the digital world shifts and changes, we've found our physical format that we prefer best and that can't really be improved upon any further. BlackBerry has been through the ringer and on the other side (which, hopefully we are soon approaching) they will emerge with what will prove to be the biggest differentiator in the smartphone world and perhaps a good number of people making their return to the format.

I don't think what killed BlackBerry had anything to do with a keyboard at all. It was just the perception that there were "newer" and "better" things out there than what people knew a BlackBerry as. BB10 was under the radar for the masses and they had no idea that it was any different from the legacy models (or that some of the devices (Z30) even existed!) Now that they are running full Android and getting more exposure with the carriers, the keyboard is something that genuinely might draw people back. Yes, people like their slabs and they are cool as hell. What many like even more though is something "newer" and "better." And then there is the capacitive PKB which has yet to be marketed properly and people are blown away when they see how it works. Let the masses know that something like that exists, combining the old tech with something new, and they just may have a winner.

I think it would be very wise of BlackBerry to ONLY release PKB models with the capacitive functionality. Hold on tight to those patents and have at it. Let other brands start to make the odd 'old school' PKB device - it will only help them turn the trend around and result in public perception to view BlackBerry as 'competitive' once again.
    07-17-16 08:41 AM
    Okay classic is going away. I am fine with this as long as they get this same keyboard into some newer device. This keyboard is on point.

Same. And make it touch sensitive like the PRIV's and Passport's. Even if you don't like it, you can disable it and use it like a regular Classic keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-16 06:09 PM
    I agree. Here is my message to JC from BlackBerry: make a device as handy as the Classic, with the physical keyboard and the track ball. But without the slow OS10, the annoying black screens, and the short battery life. THAT would be the ideal phone. A real smart phone for smart people.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-16 06:41 PM