Hi all. Just wanted to pen down a few notes and insights on the Classic. I recently acquired a used BlackBerry Classic. Prior to this, I was using an Android (Xiaomi Mi Max) device, after both my Q10 and PP OG developed problems after several accidents.

Impressions:

1) Build Quality
    Superb. This Classic is as well-built as the Passport Original. Very sturdy, and with a textured rear, very easy to hold. There is absolutely zero flex in the unit, and the keyboard is also very well-made. The keys feel slightly 'softer' to depress than the Passport, and if you're like me, you'll prefer the more traditional four-row keyboard after years on the Q10, Curve 8520, Bold 9780, Bold 9000 & Bold 9900. The metal edges are a welcome design, and add a better feel to the unit too.

2. Buttons, Keyboard & Trackpad
    The use of metal buttons (Volume, Mute, Power) is very nice. The buttons offer a satisfactory 'click' when depressed, and add a degree of class (much like Apple's iPhone SE button design). The optical trackpad is very accurate and the feel of the trackpad, when pressed, is also very solid and resounding.

3. BB10
    It is my opinion that BB10 is probably the most robust, speedy and fully-featured mobile OS out there. Although it will be made EOL (End Of Life) soon by BlackBerry, it remains a very capable system. The File Manager is second to none, really. Enough said.

4. Usability of the Classic
    Here's where the Classic nailed it for me. After using fullscreen phones (Xiaomi Mi Max, LG V10, Lumia 1020, Lumia 920) for a while, I had forgotten how convenient it is to have a small device in the pocket again. I forgot that it was really possible to live with such a gem of a device.

Of course, the Classic is not for those who consume a lot of media (videos), but here's what I use it for:

A) Messaging
    SMS, BBM, Whatsapp (through APK) - still trying to figure out how to get WeChat APK to work.
    B) Emails
    BlackBerry remains unsurpassed at this, with the BB10 Hub taking credit where it's due.
    C) Music
    MP3, FLAC support for audio makes the Classic an excellent audio player
    D) Reading
    I use FBReader to read lots of ebooks, and E-Mmanuel Bible too.
    E) Note-taking
    The Remember app, tied to an Evernote account, works well with the physical keyboard.

All in all, this is a really excellent device. I found the old Passport too wide and bulky for everyday use. With the expected high prices of the upcoming Keyone here in Asia, I'm not holding my breath.

Hopefully this Classic will last for a few more years until TCL releases other qwerty devices. Whilst Android is the future, I still prefer BB10 as it's not as resource hungry and battery-intensive.

I tried using the BlackBerry Hub on Android. Lovely implementation, but a BlackBerry just isn't the same without the physical keyboard.

Thanks for reading.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 03:23 AM
    Glad you are enjoying the classic. Just a tip, use the native WhatsApp app till 30th June. Much more pleasant experience than the Apk.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 03:38 AM
    It's been almost a year since I snatched the Classic, leaving the SE behind and you're right, the usability is just great. Even now in 2017, it's rugged and it gets the job done. Enjoy your little beast!

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 03:47 AM
    Got mine last week but sadly can't install apk files, had to update the android runtime and since after the update, no android app works and no apk will install.

BlackBerry protect also won't turn on!

It's a nice device but this little problem worries me.
    ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.1.2267

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 04:28 AM
    You should be able to install and run APKs. Try using Cobalt's Google Playstore solution for BB10. It works very well.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 06:22 AM
    Yes, the native Whatsap will be more convenient, but I went for the APK so that I won't have to bother later on.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 06:23 AM
    Got mine last week but sadly can't install apk files, had to update the android runtime and since after the update, no android app works and no apk will install.

BlackBerry protect also won't turn on!

It's a nice device but this little problem worries me.
    ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.1.2267

Posted via CB10
    Try loading it with a more recent OS, like OS10.3.3.x. That will work better.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 06:26 AM
    Yes, the native Whatsap will be more convenient, but I went for the APK so that I won't have to bother later on.

Posted via CB10
    There's a very good chance that the apk won't work after the latest deadline - WA may just have their servers not reply to the dropped versions.

As a side note, the KEYone sounds like it's rather "Classic-like" but running Android. It will be showing up soon.
    04-18-17 09:35 AM
    Classic might be my favorite BlackBerry and I don't even know it. I always tend to gravitate back to using it. I recently bought a Q10 and it's a cool little beast, no where near the Classic though.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 12:29 PM
    Congratulations i am sure you will enjoy it because BlackBerry Classic is one of best BB10 devices

Posted via CB10
    dollface likes this.
    04-18-17 02:43 PM
    Just acquired a used Classic (April 2017)-img_20170422_164628.jpg

Blackberry Classic Wind 449€ Italy

Posted via CB10
    04-22-17 09:55 AM
    You should be able to install and run APKs. Try using Cobalt's Google Playstore solution for BB10. It works very well.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ctions-985344/ go here

Posted with my  Classic
    04-22-17 08:27 PM
    I buy and sell new phones very often but classic is not for sale It's a keeper.
    04-23-17 01:29 PM
    awesome enjoy your classic!
    04-27-17 05:25 PM
    Great post, OP.

Enjoyed your words.

Makes me think what could have been had RIM not been so stinking stubborn back in 2008-2011.
    04-27-17 09:34 PM
    Great post, OP.

Enjoyed your words.

Makes me think what could have been had RIM not been so stinking stubborn back in 2008-2011.
    Agreed, I'm glad that bb10 devices are still so functional and pleasing to people . It would have been really interesting/exiting if rim would of made some different decisions back then. Could you imagine if bb10 would of been launched 08/09 they really could've had a true Iphone killer imo (still like the storm though)

Posted using a VeryBold BlackBerry Q10
    04-27-17 10:38 PM
    Great post, OP.

Enjoyed your words.

Thanks. After using the Classic for just under 2 weeks now, I have to say that I'm very happy with the unit. And especially the keyboard. It is literally a joy to type on. I could / would never go back to using a fullscreen phone with a virtual keyboard.

I also noted that the audio output (earphones) on this thing is excellent. It goes really loud when driving it to the max levels.

Truly a well-respected flagship of the BB10 series.

Posted via CB10
    Praganad likes this.
    04-28-17 03:47 AM
    I bought a Classic last June however it had build quality issues right out of the box, the SIM tray was wonky so it was sticking out sharp and there was something wrong with the way the display had been fitted because it had quite serious back light glow on the top right corner of the screen, when pressing the volume keys a ripple went across the hole screen.

I sent it back, virtually unused, disappointed and unwilling to get another duff one (Vodafone UK handled the whole thing badly) I have stayed with my Z10 which is edging towards its 4th birthday. Without those issues I think I'd have enjoyed it, stunning little phone, although it may have been for the best as I could feel RSI flaring up with just a short practice on the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-17 04:56 PM
    I bought a Classic last June however it had build quality issues right out of the box, the SIM tray was wonky so it was sticking out sharp and there was something wrong with the way the display had been fitted because it had quite serious back light glow on the top right corner of the screen, when pressing the volume keys a ripple went across the hole screen.

I sent it back, virtually unused, disappointed and unwilling to get another duff one (Vodafone UK handled the whole thing badly) I have stayed with my Z10 which is edging towards its 4th birthday. Without those issues I think I'd have enjoyed it, stunning little phone, although it may have been for the best as I could feel RSI flaring up with just a short practice on the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    That's a pity, but perhaps, as you said, it may be a blessing in disguise due to the RSI - you're probably better off with a fullscreen phone and a virtual keyboard. Take care.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-17 07:19 PM
    Hi all. Just wanted to pen down a few notes and insights on the Classic. I recently acquired a used BlackBerry Classic. Prior to this, I was using an Android (Xiaomi Mi Max) device, after both my Q10 and PP OG developed problems after several accidents.

Impressions:

1) Build Quality
    Superb. This Classic is as well-built as the Passport Original. Very sturdy, and with a textured rear, very easy to hold. There is absolutely zero flex in the unit, and the keyboard is also very well-made. The keys feel slightly 'softer' to depress than the Passport, and if you're like me, you'll prefer the more traditional four-row keyboard after years on the Q10, Curve 8520, Bold 9780, Bold 9000 & Bold 9900. The metal edges are a welcome design, and add a better feel to the unit too.

2. Buttons, Keyboard & Trackpad
    The use of metal buttons (Volume, Mute, Power) is very nice. The buttons offer a satisfactory 'click' when depressed, and add a degree of class (much like Apple's iPhone SE button design). The optical trackpad is very accurate and the feel of the trackpad, when pressed, is also very solid and resounding.

3. BB10
    It is my opinion that BB10 is probably the most robust, speedy and fully-featured mobile OS out there. Although it will be made EOL (End Of Life) soon by BlackBerry, it remains a very capable system. The File Manager is second to none, really. Enough said.

4. Usability of the Classic
    Here's where the Classic nailed it for me. After using fullscreen phones (Xiaomi Mi Max, LG V10, Lumia 1020, Lumia 920) for a while, I had forgotten how convenient it is to have a small device in the pocket again. I forgot that it was really possible to live with such a gem of a device.

Of course, the Classic is not for those who consume a lot of media (videos), but here's what I use it for:

A) Messaging
    SMS, BBM, Whatsapp (through APK) - still trying to figure out how to get WeChat APK to work.
    B) Emails
    BlackBerry remains unsurpassed at this, with the BB10 Hub taking credit where it's due.
    C) Music
    MP3, FLAC support for audio makes the Classic an excellent audio player
    D) Reading
    I use FBReader to read lots of ebooks, and E-Mmanuel Bible too.
    E) Note-taking
    The Remember app, tied to an Evernote account, works well with the physical keyboard.

All in all, this is a really excellent device. I found the old Passport too wide and bulky for everyday use. With the expected high prices of the upcoming Keyone here in Asia, I'm not holding my breath.

Hopefully this Classic will last for a few more years until TCL releases other qwerty devices. Whilst Android is the future, I still prefer BB10 as it's not as resource hungry and battery-intensive.

I tried using the BlackBerry Hub on Android. Lovely implementation, but a BlackBerry just isn't the same without the physical keyboard.

Thanks for reading.

Posted via CB10
    Nice summation. It is my favorite BlackBerry device to date.

Via the Cobalt Classic
    05-02-17 06:09 PM
    Absolutely agreed with your post.
    In my opinion, the classic is best BlackBerry ever with OS10.
    Hope for again two years and longer.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-17 03:17 PM
    WhatsApp on my Classic BlackBerry was gone a long time ago - already this January...
    05-05-17 03:26 PM
    WhatsApp on my Classic BlackBerry was gone a long time ago - already this January...
    If your Classic is updated to 10.3.3, then Whatsapp will work until June 30.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-17 05:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Us BB10 users need to be realistic - the Android Whatsapp APK may not work after 2017, should FB discontinue Whatsapp support for Android 4.3 Runtime. Until then, hold on to BB10 for as long as it continues to meet your needs!

Posted via CB10
    05-05-17 08:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    * If WhatsApp is updated to the latest version on BlackBerry World it will work, running fine on 10.3.2.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-17 10:57 PM
36 12