Hello folks. I am really not much of a BB geek, although I have been geeking around computers for several decades. I am also not a frequent-switcher of cell phones. I got my first phone, a Nokia 6100 series, kept it until AT&T stopped maintaining the last TDMA tower, switched to a 6340 (dual, with GSM), and went through a couple of those until getting a hand-me-down BB Bold from my son. I loved it because it was small, tough, and I didn't have to do multi-tap anymore.

I even took the Bold to Israel in 2018 but mainly as a pocket camera. It finally ate a couple of batteries and I bought a Classic. I almost love the Classic. It is just a bit too fat for my hand, but I love everything else.

I never used it for very much: calls, text, BB Maps, Google Maps when overseas, WhatsApp, Parrot (voice recorder), and YouVersion (Bible app). Hand-held devices are banned while driving in Texas (fine with that) so I used Bluetooth a lot.

Now, my Classic is giving me problems. It took a flying leap off the hood of my truck at 55mph, over the cab, bounced about 5ft up and down on the road, and only suffered a cracked screen (with a hole in the upper right corner glass).

It always had a WiFi oddity, in that it would connect to every WiFi network except my home system. (it did, for a while, then decided the "network connection is weak" hogwash! )

But about 3-4 weeks ago, it started giving me Map problems. Now, I understand that as the BB Maps server going away (right?) I can enter a destination, tell it to Go, and I get (always) three failures (3006) at "Getting route", and then it quits with "There is a problem communicating with the server - Try again later. (2001)". I believe this is not fixable, and I will have to find a new maps/GPS program.

At about the same time, I lost use of Bluetooth. I let the phone battery die, it went into Battery Save mode, shut off the radios, and when I charged it back up, I could no longer get to about half of the options in "Settings" (main screen). When I tap those, the screen goes black and it eventually reverts to the Settings (or Quick Settings) screen. That includes Bluetooth, and I can't find another way to turn off the radio.

Finally, and also at about the same time, I started getting alerts that "One or more applications/services require you to verify your BlackBerry ID." However, when I click/press "Open", the screen goes black and eventually I have to reboot the phone. The whole phone isn't locked, mind you, as the screen-saver will still kick in and I can swipe up to get past it but it just takes me back to that black screen with only the top info bar (battery level, clock, carrier network) showing. However, as long as I don't swipe , but tap-hold an Alert to bypass the screen lock, I can get back to the home screen. I can then get to Quick Settings (a few of which work), but if I try to select full Settings, I just get that black screen.

Data services are working because I continue to get WhatsApp messages/videos/etc. even though I am not connected to WiFi.

I don't know how much of this is due to humidity or dust getting past the taped-over corner of the screen, and how much is due to BB support changes. Certainly not all of it is hardware or the phone itself.

This particular phone runs 10.3.3.3204 . I had AT&T unlock it 2 years ago, but I have only ever run it on AT&T (USA) and Pelephone (Israel).

I have a backup done with BB Link back in July. Now, however, BB Link will not recognize the phone is even connected. I believe that this may be due to needing to get into Settings->Storage to turn off SD card access. I seem to recall that BB Link will not connect if the card storage is active. The point is that I can't restore this backup because I can't get Link (or Device Manager) to connect. I run this BB software on my Windows 7 Thinkpad.

When I try to log into with at BlackBerry.com , I am unrecognized. For good measure, I did a password reset. It worked (apparently), but I still get error messages when trying to log in. Is this the same as BBID login?

I just purchased from eBay a NIB Classic (the prev. owner opened it and decided the keys were too small, boxed it back up). This one is running 10.3.2.556 . I am really tempted to just stick my SIM in it and go. I can't transfer my data via Bluetooth from the older phone, though, because I can't turn on the older phone's Bluetooth radio (Settings access) So I think I'll have to factory-reset the new phone (to get the OS updated, but I don't know what OS version I should want. Then I'll have to try to restore my older-phone's backup to the new phone. (and I will lose 3 months' text messages and Contacts updates in the process, which is a bummer).

Will I have to use a new BBID, or will I need to use the same one in order to re-target the backup? I don't know if BBID support is gone away or if it is just part of the phone's brain fade issues.

I see people on Crackberry talking about doing things down at the file system level to move/uninstall/etc. different apps or features. How are you getting access below the phone's GUI ?

If there is a BB10 / Classic guru in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, who will sit down for an afternoon over a Covid-burger with me, my phones, and my computer, to educate me and help me figure this out, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

I just realized this is probably not the appropriate forum on which to post all of this. Where should I do it instead?

-neville
    10-27-20 11:42 PM
    Hello folks. I am really not much of a BB geek, although I have been geeking around computers for several decades. I am also not a frequent-switcher of cell phones. I got my first phone, a Nokia 6100 series, kept it until AT&T stopped maintaining the last TDMA tower, switched to a 6340 (dual, with GSM), and went through a couple of those until getting a hand-me-down BB Bold from my son. I loved it because it was small, tough, and I didn't have to do multi-tap anymore.

I even took the Bold to Israel in 2018 but mainly as a pocket camera. It finally ate a couple of batteries and I bought a Classic. I almost love the Classic. It is just a bit too fat for my hand, but I love everything else.

I never used it for very much: calls, text, BB Maps, Google Maps when overseas, WhatsApp, Parrot (voice recorder), and YouVersion (Bible app). Hand-held devices are banned while driving in Texas (fine with that) so I used Bluetooth a lot.

Now, my Classic is giving me problems. It took a flying leap off the hood of my truck at 55mph, over the cab, bounced about 5ft up and down on the road, and only suffered a cracked screen (with a hole in the upper right corner glass).

It always had a WiFi oddity, in that it would connect to every WiFi network except my home system. (it did, for a while, then decided the "network connection is weak" hogwash! )

But about 3-4 weeks ago, it started giving me Map problems. Now, I understand that as the BB Maps server going away (right?) I can enter a destination, tell it to Go, and I get (always) three failures (3006) at "Getting route", and then it quits with "There is a problem communicating with the server - Try again later. (2001)". I believe this is not fixable, and I will have to find a new maps/GPS program.

At about the same time, I lost use of Bluetooth. I let the phone battery die, it went into Battery Save mode, shut off the radios, and when I charged it back up, I could no longer get to about half of the options in "Settings" (main screen). When I tap those, the screen goes black and it eventually reverts to the Settings (or Quick Settings) screen. That includes Bluetooth, and I can't find another way to turn off the radio.

Finally, and also at about the same time, I started getting alerts that "One or more applications/services require you to verify your BlackBerry ID." However, when I click/press "Open", the screen goes black and eventually I have to reboot the phone. The whole phone isn't locked, mind you, as the screen-saver will still kick in and I can swipe up to get past it but it just takes me back to that black screen with only the top info bar (battery level, clock, carrier network) showing. However, as long as I don't swipe , but tap-hold an Alert to bypass the screen lock, I can get back to the home screen. I can then get to Quick Settings (a few of which work), but if I try to select full Settings, I just get that black screen.

Data services are working because I continue to get WhatsApp messages/videos/etc. even though I am not connected to WiFi.

I don't know how much of this is due to humidity or dust getting past the taped-over corner of the screen, and how much is due to BB support changes. Certainly not all of it is hardware or the phone itself.

This particular phone runs 10.3.3.3204 . I had AT&T unlock it 2 years ago, but I have only ever run it on AT&T (USA) and Pelephone (Israel).

I have a backup done with BB Link back in July. Now, however, BB Link will not recognize the phone is even connected. I believe that this may be due to needing to get into Settings->Storage to turn off SD card access. I seem to recall that BB Link will not connect if the card storage is active. The point is that I can't restore this backup because I can't get Link (or Device Manager) to connect. I run this BB software on my Windows 7 Thinkpad.

When I try to log into with at BlackBerry.com , I am unrecognized. For good measure, I did a password reset. It worked (apparently), but I still get error messages when trying to log in. Is this the same as BBID login?

I just purchased from eBay a NIB Classic (the prev. owner opened it and decided the keys were too small, boxed it back up). This one is running 10.3.2.556 . I am really tempted to just stick my SIM in it and go. I can't transfer my data via Bluetooth from the older phone, though, because I can't turn on the older phone's Bluetooth radio (Settings access) So I think I'll have to factory-reset the new phone (to get the OS updated, but I don't know what OS version I should want. Then I'll have to try to restore my older-phone's backup to the new phone. (and I will lose 3 months' text messages and Contacts updates in the process, which is a bummer).

Will I have to use a new BBID, or will I need to use the same one in order to re-target the backup? I don't know if BBID support is gone away or if it is just part of the phone's brain fade issues.

I see people on Crackberry talking about doing things down at the file system level to move/uninstall/etc. different apps or features. How are you getting access below the phone's GUI ?

If there is a BB10 / Classic guru in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, who will sit down for an afternoon over a Covid-burger with me, my phones, and my computer, to educate me and help me figure this out, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

I just realized this is probably not the appropriate forum on which to post all of this. Where should I do it instead?

-neville
    Welcome to Crackberry, you’re in the right place!

Unfortunately I’m in the UK but if you’d like to pay my airfare.......

I think what you need is something like Darcys BlackBerry Tools (DBBT), or the playbook chrome extension.

With these tools you can access the system level and sideload apps using a PC while your phone is attached via USB, I also think you can do it via Wifi with the chrome extension but I wouldn’t personally recommend that.

Search the forums for sideloading apps all the info you need is here.
    10-29-20 06:45 AM
    Get LINK to work you probably need to reenable SMBv1 in Windows settings.... it's been disabled by Windows Update as it's a big security risk, so don't forget to turn it back off. See if that helps...

I'd stick with the same BBID... but that whole system is ending in a little over a year. Don't invest too much into BB10 at this point.

m3ach is right DDBT or PlayBook Chrome Extension are great for BB10 users, also some Android File mangers can work as well. But there are limits... not all bloatware can be removed. And need to sideload apps is just not a big deal.
    10-29-20 09:15 AM
    Get LINK to work you probably need to reenable SMBv1 in Windows settings.... it's been disabled by Windows Update as it's a big security risk, so don't forget to turn it back off. See if that helps...
    I'm running Win 7 on this PC.
    I checked my settings and there wasn't even a registry key for SMB1. I made one and have tried with it on and with it off and haven't seen any change. Note that I *was* able to connect to my older phone in the past, without the reg key present. I don't know if it would have defaulted to ON in that case or not.

I still can't get anywhere with Link on either phone yet. I can connect to both of them with Blend, but Blend wants me to update the OS on the NIB phone (currently on 10.3.2.556 ). I am a bit hesitant to do that because I don't know what version I will get (older phone shows 10.3.3.3204) and I don't know if the 3204 might be part of my problems with the older phone.
    Is it safe to let the phone auto-update (assuming there is still a server running that will update it) ? If I should use a different version than what I am likely to get with an auto-update, how do I go about that?

It may be that some of these things would be moot or obvious once I install DDBT (assuming it will work on my Win 7). I also have a Chromebook, so I can try that as well.

This is pretty basic (it's been 2 years since I did any BB setup stuff), but is my BB ID the same thing as my username at blackberry dot com? If not, can I see it somewhere in Blend or on the phone (can't get to full Settings on the older phone) ?
    10-29-20 11:27 AM
    > Unfortunately I’m in the UK but if you’d like to pay my airfare.......

I was already reaching just to pay for this second phone! However, I could spring for the extra-bag fee if you could find someone to pack you in their big suitcase.
    10-29-20 11:42 AM
    For DBBT , is there a ReadMe file (or something else) that is more like a manal/guide than just a short list of contacts? It connected to my phone but seems like I'm not using all of the features correctly. I get some info (like installed apps) but don't see basics like OS/SW version.

I installed the DBBT file, but not the Cap file. I need to figure out what the Cap is first before I install it.
    10-29-20 01:11 PM
    Hmmm. DBBT tells me my Classic is a Passport.
    10-29-20 03:50 PM
    > Unfortunately I’m in the UK but if you’d like to pay my airfare.......

I was already reaching just to pay for this second phone! However, I could spring for the extra-bag fee if you could find someone to pack you in their big suitcase.
    Sounds good, I’ll go and pack myself up! lol.
    10-30-20 10:04 AM
    I'm running Win 7 on this PC.
    I checked my settings and there wasn't even a registry key for SMB1. I made one and have tried with it on and with it off and haven't seen any change. Note that I *was* able to connect to my older phone in the past, without the reg key present. I don't know if it would have defaulted to ON in that case or not.

I still can't get anywhere with Link on either phone yet. I can connect to both of them with Blend, but Blend wants me to update the OS on the NIB phone (currently on 10.3.2.556 ). I am a bit hesitant to do that because I don't know what version I will get (older phone shows 10.3.3.3204) and I don't know if the 3204 might be part of my problems with the older phone.
    Is it safe to let the phone auto-update (assuming there is still a server running that will update it) ? If I should use a different version than what I am likely to get with an auto-update, how do I go about that?

It may be that some of these things would be moot or obvious once I install DDBT (assuming it will work on my Win 7). I also have a Chromebook, so I can try that as well.

This is pretty basic (it's been 2 years since I did any BB setup stuff), but is my BB ID the same thing as my username at blackberry dot com? If not, can I see it somewhere in Blend or on the phone (can't get to full Settings on the older phone) ?
    You should be all good with a windows 7 machine.

SMBv1 is turned on and off in the control panel, if you go to programs and features, I think in the left hand column go into turn windows features on or off, scroll down to SMBv1 and check the box and save that. You’ll need to restart your PC for that to take effect.

That should allow Link to fully function with your phone.

Don’t forget to turn it back off once you’re finished.

I would also update your phone to the latest OS 10.3.3.3126.
    10-30-20 10:11 AM
    Hmmm. DBBT tells me my Classic is a Passport.
    You’ve been upgraded! Cool.
    10-30-20 10:12 AM
    For DBBT , is there a ReadMe file (or something else) that is more like a manal/guide than just a short list of contacts? It connected to my phone but seems like I'm not using all of the features correctly. I get some info (like installed apps) but don't see basics like OS/SW version.

I installed the DBBT file, but not the Cap file. I need to figure out what the Cap is first before I install it.
    I don’t think there is, this was written by an enthusiast in their spare time many years ago who was kind enough to release it to the community.
    10-30-20 10:14 AM
    Since I haven't yet been able to pull my BBID out of the flaky phone, I will re-ask an earlier question.

Is my BBID the same as my username at BlackBerry dot Com ?

Actually, I will ask a followup question...

If I were to establish a new BBID for the new phone, will I be able to restore my July backup from the old phone to the new one, given that the associated BBIDs would be different?
    11-01-20 10:49 PM
    You should be all good with a windows 7 machine.

SMBv1 is turned on and off in the control panel, if you go to programs and features, I think in the left hand column go into turn windows features on or off, scroll down to SMBv1 and check the box and save that. You’ll need to restart your PC for that to take effect.

That should allow Link to fully function with your phone.

Don’t forget to turn it back off once you’re finished.

I would also update your phone to the latest OS 10.3.3.3126.
    Given that one of the phones (the NIB phone) is sitting at 10.3.2.556 , and the other (the flaking older phone) is all the way up at 10.3.3.3204 , are you saying that I should update the one and backdate the other so that both end up at 10.3.3.3126 ?

I've been wondering if .3204 might be responsible for some of the issues I'm having with that phone.
    11-01-20 11:34 PM
    Since I haven't yet been able to pull my BBID out of the flaky phone, I will re-ask an earlier question.

Is my BBID the same as my username at BlackBerry dot Com ?

Actually, I will ask a followup question...

If I were to establish a new BBID for the new phone, will I be able to restore my July backup from the old phone to the new one, given that the associated BBIDs would be different?
    With regard to whether your BBID username is the same as your BlackBerry dot com one is, it depends, however if you know that username and password just try putting that into the new phone and see if it works, you can use your BBID on multiple phones concurrently so you don’t need to remove it from the old one.

If you set up a new BBID on the new phone you will not be able to restore any backups made using Link or DBBT to your new phone.

A mistake many people have made is to delete their BBID for whatever reason and then set up a new one with the same credentials only to find this is treated as a different BBID, thereby making their previous backups and any paid apps now inaccessible without paying again, (paid apps are just not going to be available via the BB World store now anyway). So don’t be tempted to try that.
    11-02-20 03:37 AM
    Given that one of the phones (the NIB phone) is sitting at 10.3.2.556 , and the other (the flaking older phone) is all the way up at 10.3.3.3204 , are you saying that I should update the one and backdate the other so that both end up at 10.3.3.3126 ?

I've been wondering if .3204 might be responsible for some of the issues I'm having with that phone.
    Sorry I transposed my figures, the latest is 10.3.3.3216.

This OS has all the latest patches that BlackBerry have released for BB10 including the KRACK wifi fix so is recommended.

I have run this on all my phones since it was released without any problems.

Your old phone’s OS could have been corrupted over time so that may be the problem.

I would definitely recommend you upgrade the new one although you don’t need both phones to be on the same OS version to restore the backup to the new phone, the phone you are restoring to must be on the same or higher OS version to the old one.

By the way once a phone is updated to 10.3.3.xxxx you cannot go back to 10.3.2.xxxx or earlier. This is the case with all major builds too I believe.
    11-02-20 03:53 AM
    Here is a link for the 10.3.3.3216 autoloader for your Classic (the Z30 and Classic use the same OS version)

https://mega.nz/file/tVgyjDYS#ojnru-...CIkAU1dIybpHK0

You'll need to connect your phone to your PC, unzip this file and run it.

Your phone will be wiped in the process so ensure you backup any data you don't want to lose!
    11-02-20 04:04 AM
    I got Link and DBBT to connect to the new phone (I keep forgetting that I have to go into the phone's Settings and turn USB Mass Storage Mode to Off).

I used Link to update the OS on the new phone as a test. Link thinks the newest version available is .3204 , which is also what I had installed on the old phone (probably also done via Link a while back, but I don't remember).

Then, I used Link to restore a full backup of the old phone (from 4 months ago) onto the new phone. Using DBBT, I could see the BBID recorded inside my summer Link (. bbb) backups, and got logged into the new phone with that BBID. That worked (of course, some of my apps, like WhatsApp, need to be re-updated).

Now, I have a few more challenges and unknowns.

I have to read up on installers, autoloaders, BAR files, etc. I still don't know what a CAP file is (there is one included in the DBBT folder) so that I can figure out how (and whether) to install .3216 on the new phone. M3ach, your autoloader is much appreciated! I am concerned because when I'm poking around in DBBT , it wants to build OS installs using specific sets of radio files and I don't know if the radio files for the Z30 will be the same ones needed for this Classic (the new one is a -2 model, SQC1100-2). I have the Z30 3216 autoloader unzipped and the .exe ready to run (it appears packaged as a native Windows executable). But I'm hesitant to hit the button until I know if there is any chance of disabling any radios/frequencies or any other negative side effects. I can't take it back to 10.3.2 if this doesn't work, but I would hope that I could just re-restore my .3204 backup if necessary.

I *really* need to figure out how to get the current data off the old phone. I can connect to both my Win-7 and Chromebook computers and pull off the photos and downloaded files, so that's fine. But I would very much like to get a current snapshot of my Contacts at least, and Apps if possible (not a big issue there, just a nice-to-have). However, neither DBBT nor Link wants to talk to that phone. They both behave as if the USB Mass Storage setting needs to be turned Off, but I don't have any direct access to that to switch it off, because Settings is not working properly on that phone (which is the whole reason for getting the new phone). Link sees the old phone, recognizes it by name, but tells me it can't communicate. DBBT seems to have a similar problem. For instance, in DBBT if in the Backup Manager screen, the "Create Backup" and "Restore Backup" buttons are dead. Neither can I see the list of installed Apps. Maybe Sachesi or the Chrome app will fare better. I will see if I can get somewhere with them, I guess.

Is there some way to control the Settings features from the computer? If my current best guess is right, and I need to get Mass Storage turned off, then maybe I can avoid having to manually re-enter the new Contacts acquired over the past 4 months (since the backup). If I could do *that*, then I could pull them out, wipe and re-install current OS on the old phone, re-load the Contacts, and have both phones working. I expect to go to Israel again in the early spring and would like to take one and leave the other for folks here to use as a virtual me while I'm gone. Other than having to use Google Maps, my Classic worked wonderfully in Jerusalem last year.
    11-07-20 01:56 PM
    I got Link and DBBT to connect to the new phone (I keep forgetting that I have to go into the phone's Settings and turn USB Mass Storage Mode to Off).

I used Link to update the OS on the new phone as a test. Link thinks the newest version available is .3204 , which is also what I had installed on the old phone (probably also done via Link a while back, but I don't remember).

Then, I used Link to restore a full backup of the old phone (from 4 months ago) onto the new phone. Using DBBT, I could see the BBID recorded inside my summer Link (. bbb) backups, and got logged into the new phone with that BBID. That worked (of course, some of my apps, like WhatsApp, need to be re-updated).

Now, I have a few more challenges and unknowns.

I have to read up on installers, autoloaders, BAR files, etc. I still don't know what a CAP file is (there is one included in the DBBT folder) so that I can figure out how (and whether) to install .3216 on the new phone. M3ach, your autoloader is much appreciated! I am concerned because when I'm poking around in DBBT , it wants to build OS installs using specific sets of radio files and I don't know if the radio files for the Z30 will be the same ones needed for this Classic (the new one is a -2 model, SQC1100-2). I have the Z30 3216 autoloader unzipped and the .exe ready to run (it appears packaged as a native Windows executable). But I'm hesitant to hit the button until I know if there is any chance of disabling any radios/frequencies or any other negative side effects. I can't take it back to 10.3.2 if this doesn't work, but I would hope that I could just re-restore my .3204 backup if necessary.

I *really* need to figure out how to get the current data off the old phone. I can connect to both my Win-7 and Chromebook computers and pull off the photos and downloaded files, so that's fine. But I would very much like to get a current snapshot of my Contacts at least, and Apps if possible (not a big issue there, just a nice-to-have). However, neither DBBT nor Link wants to talk to that phone. They both behave as if the USB Mass Storage setting needs to be turned Off, but I don't have any direct access to that to switch it off, because Settings is not working properly on that phone (which is the whole reason for getting the new phone). Link sees the old phone, recognizes it by name, but tells me it can't communicate. DBBT seems to have a similar problem. For instance, in DBBT if in the Backup Manager screen, the "Create Backup" and "Restore Backup" buttons are dead. Neither can I see the list of installed Apps. Maybe Sachesi or the Chrome app will fare better. I will see if I can get somewhere with them, I guess.

Is there some way to control the Settings features from the computer? If my current best guess is right, and I need to get Mass Storage turned off, then maybe I can avoid having to manually re-enter the new Contacts acquired over the past 4 months (since the backup). If I could do *that*, then I could pull them out, wipe and re-install current OS on the old phone, re-load the Contacts, and have both phones working. I expect to go to Israel again in the early spring and would like to take one and leave the other for folks here to use as a virtual me while I'm gone. Other than having to use Google Maps, my Classic worked wonderfully in Jerusalem last year.
    It's 2020, you really need to be using a "synced" account for email, contacts and calendar. That offers your both a "kind" of backup and easy of use between devices.

BB10 forced that on me at lauch when LINK didn't have the sync with Outlook function working.... which in the end has been great.

As for backup.... get Ultimate Backup and make backups that aren't tied to BlackBerry's infrastructure or devices. That infrastructure should work for another year, but it's better to be prepared.

From memory, think Verizon was the only one with different radio files. You can create your own Autoloader using raw DEBRICK, CORE and RADIO files from BlackBerry's servers. But I'd just install the one above... but you'll need to have your data backed up.
    11-10-20 11:37 AM
    Thanks, Dunt Dunt Dunt .

Until now, I've never had more than one device hosting Email/Contacts/Calendar. I already have backup/sync plans, but that is future as in, after today or this week. Right now, I have a specific situation I'm dealing with and none of that will make any difference.

As far as I can tell, having my data backed up before running the autoloader to update (if I do it at all - 10.3.3.3204 seems pretty good to me) will help with restoring apps and contacts, but text messages will be lost forever. It appears that, in the .bbb backup files, those messages are entertwined with the system files. There would be no point in overwriting a new updated OS (.3216) with an old system backup (.3204).
    11-10-20 02:10 PM
    Thanks, Dunt Dunt Dunt .

Until now, I've never had more than one device hosting Email/Contacts/Calendar. I already have backup/sync plans, but that is future as in, after today or this week. Right now, I have a specific situation I'm dealing with and none of that will make any difference.

As far as I can tell, having my data backed up before running the autoloader to update (if I do it at all - 10.3.3.3204 seems pretty good to me) will help with restoring apps and contacts, but text messages will be lost forever. It appears that, in the .bbb backup files, those messages are entertwined with the system files. There would be no point in overwriting a new updated OS (.3216) with an old system backup (.3204).
    First off restoring a backup from an older OS build will not alter the OS currently on the device.

It sounds to me like you should try and do a non destructive update to your old phone in the hope you can then backup all the data and apps before transferring the ‘new’ backup to the new phone.

You are correct in saying all your SMS will be lost if you go with the autoloader but there are ways of updating the OS via Sachesi I know for sure you can do a non destructive update as I’ve done it myself.

This may enable you to get to the settings you need to to turn the mass storage mode off.

I haven’t used BB10 for a while so can’t give you step by step instructions but all the information you need is certainly here on this forum.

I should just say that any update of this nature has the risk that data may be lost and would normally recommend backing up prior to doing it but that doesn’t seem to be an option for you at this point.

Just one other thing to check on the phone is whether parental controls have been switched on in the settings.
    Last edited by m3ach; 11-11-20 at 10:10 AM.
    11-11-20 08:54 AM
    First off restoring a backup from an older OS build will not alter the OS currently on the device.

It sounds to me like you should try and do a non destructive update to your old phone in the hope you can then backup all the data and apps before transferring the ‘new’ backup to the new phone.

You are correct in saying all your SMS will be lost if you go with the autoloader but there are ways of updating the OS via Sachesi I know for sure that are non destructive as I have done it myself.

This may enable you to get to the settings you need to to turn the mass storage mode off.

I haven’t used BB10 for a while so can’t give you step by step instructions but all the information you need is certainly here on this forum.

I should just say that any update of this nature has the risk that data may be lost and would normally recommend backing up prior to doing it but that doesn’t seem to be an option for you at this point.

Just one other thing to check on the phone is whether parental controls have been switched on in the settings.
    I'm confused. You say that doing a non-destructive update to the old phone might allow me to get to the Settings I need. I agree and would love that, but how do I do that when I can't connect on the USB and can't get to Network settings to turn on WiFi? If there's a way to do a blitz on that phone, I'm all for it.
    11-11-20 09:27 AM
    I'm confused. You say that doing a non-destructive update to the old phone might allow me to get to the Settings I need. I agree and would love that, but how do I do that when I can't connect on the USB and can't get to Network settings to turn on WiFi? If there's a way to do a blitz on that phone, I'm all for it.
    Sorry I forgot that you were not able to connect via a usb cable.

Have you checked the parental controls are not on?
    11-11-20 10:13 AM
    I can't get to Security & Privacy through Settings. I can't even open Settings. I can open Quick Settings, but if I tap Settings in there, I get the Black Screen of Infinity.
    11-11-20 10:48 AM
    Manually move what you can to SD Card (without encryption)... and try both a BLITZ and FULL replacement Autoloader. But if your USB is bad, consider getting it replaced. Or consider a replacement phone either another Classic or some more modern.

Learn from the hard lesson and don't put your data at the risk. I'd rather Google or Apple read everything I have, and still have it - than neither of us have it.
    11-11-20 11:15 AM
    Manually move what you can to SD Card (without encryption)... and try both a BLITZ and FULL replacement Autoloader. But if your USB is bad, consider getting it replaced. Or consider a replacement phone either another Classic or some more modern.

Learn from the hard lesson and don't put your data at the risk. I'd rather Google or Apple read everything I have, and still have it - than neither of us have it.
    The OP has a new phone, they also have a backup that is a few months old, they want to get the changes from the old phone onto the new one, this clearly may be too difficult without the usb so your suggestion to get it replaced may be their best bet.
    11-11-20 05:03 PM
28 12