I was a BlackBerry user for a many years, and, other than the horrible Bold 9650, I was a very happy BB user, especially with the Bold 9000 I had. Since the 9650 I have been on iPhone, which is ok, but I still really miss the physical keyboard. When I saw the Classic can run Android apps, I began to wonder if I could actually manage to switch back and have a good experience. I am hoping to get some feedback on how well the Classic would perform for the following tasks:

1. Email: my company uses GMail. I typically use the GMail app on my iPhone because it works better than the built-in Mail app. What are my options here? My company no longer has a BES server. Can I use IMAP or side-load a GMail Android app?

2. Calendar and Contacts: Also in GMail. Is there compatibility with GMail for these?

3. PagerDuty: We use PagerDuty for on-call. I can live with SMS and voice-based solution, but does anyone know if the Android app works ok on the Classic?

4. Tethering: I use my iPhone as a wi-fi hotspot for Internet access when I travel. Is there similar functionality on the Classic?

5. Other Important Apps: If anyone has any feedback on whether any of these are available/work well, I'd appreciate hearing it:
    Facebook
    Google+
    YouTube
    Google Authenticator
    Pandora
    Netflix
    Amazon Instant Video
    Google Maps or similar Navigation app
    Some kind of ssh client

6. Integration with Mac OS X: I run Macs at home and at work. I need to be able to easily transfer photos and documents between my phone and computer.

Thanks in advance for an responses I receive.

Ted
    03-26-15 09:44 AM
    1. There is no more BIS on BB10, you can connect to Gmail using IMAP , and it's processed automatically, no fiddling with settings unless you want to.

2. My Gmail calendar and contacts all seamlessly imported with my Gmail email account.

3. No idea about PagerDuty

4. Wi-Fi Hotspot has been available since BBOS 7.1 (Bold 9900), so yes it also exists in BB10, and you can connect also over USB and Bluetooth

5. Apps
    Facebook: works
    Youtube: no native app for Youtube but many alternatives exist (and you're not going to like watching videos on a square screen)
    Netflix: Android app works well when sideloaded
    Google Maps: no native app but several Google Maps clients available (BeMaps, MapsPro) but you'll have to pay for them.
    SSH client: many exist, don't use it
    Pandora: don't know, doesn't work where I live
    Google+ and other Google stuff: don't know, don't use it

Install Snap to automate this process if you really like apps, sideloading is just like installing a BlackBerry app, no headaches. There are three downsides to using Android apps on BB10:
    A. It uses more battery and takes a bit longer to start
    B. About 90% of Android apps are compatible with BB10, not 100%. Some just will not work.
    C. You won't get notifications when the app is closed and it doesn't work with the Blackberry Hub.

Posted via CB10
    ncted likes this.
    03-26-15 10:39 AM
    Thanks. I don't actually care that much about the apps stuff, so I think the Classic screen and Amazon apps should be fine. The other concerns were way more important. It really sounds like I could comfortably switch back without too much trouble.
    03-26-15 11:08 AM
    1. You don't have to download an app for Gmail. BlackBerry built-in email works really really well.
    2. Google calendar and contact works perfectly.

5. Most of app name you mention works. You don't have to sideload anything now since you can have play store and download android app from there and install right on the device without any hassle. Search forum with keywords "google play store".

Posted via CB10
    ncted likes this.
    03-26-15 11:17 AM
    did you have any issue with your 5s for your daily use?

Actually, many android apps don't run perfectly. Some applications may work, but you need to install the older version of apps. I guess in the near future google will make newest android apps can't run on it. And I think you won't satisfy navigating touch based apps on such size of screen. If you want android apps, go for full android is better.
    ncted likes this.
    03-26-15 11:54 AM
    did you have any issue with your 5s for your daily use?

Actually, many android apps don't run perfectly. Some applications may work, but you need to install the older version of apps. I guess in the near future google will make newest android apps can't run on it. And I think you won't satisfy navigating touch based apps on such size of screen. If you want android apps, go for full android is better.
    I find the 5s (and earlier iPhones I've had) to be poor for email/messaging. I dislike virtual keyboards.

Items 1-4 above are must haves. Everything else is optional. It would just be nice to be able to load some apps, and BBW seems somewhat limited from what I can tell.
    03-26-15 12:57 PM
    I managed to install Pagerduty on my Classic without any issues. So we know it works.

Just a thought, if you're deep into apps and want a Blackberry QWERTY, consider the Passport. Android apps will run with much more snap than on the Classic, and you're at no risk of draining the battery from running a bunch of Android apps.

Posted via CB10
    ncted likes this.
    03-26-15 12:58 PM
    I find the 5s (and earlier iPhones I've had) to be poor for email/messaging. I dislike virtual keyboards.

Items 1-4 above are must haves. Everything else is optional. It would just be nice to be able to load some apps, and BBW seems somewhat limited from what I can tell.
    try outlook apps and crimson keyboard
    03-26-15 01:09 PM
    I managed to install Pagerduty on my Classic without any issues. So we know it works.

Just a thought, if you're deep into apps and want a Blackberry QWERTY, consider the Passport. Android apps will run with much more snap than on the Classic, and you're at no risk of draining the battery from running a bunch of Android apps.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the info on Pager Duty. The Passport does not show up on my company's Verizon order page. Should it be available through Verizon?
    03-26-15 01:34 PM
    Since iOS 8 came out, I tried a few different keyboards, with no significant improvement. I think I just do better with a real keyboard with buttons.
    03-26-15 01:37 PM
    Thanks for the info on Pager Duty. The Passport does not show up on my company's Verizon order page. Should it be available through Verizon?
    Certain people are hoping it becomes available on Verizon, but who knows. Right now AT&T has the exclusive rights to the Passport. It shall remain to be seen if we will see a Verizon Wireless Passport...
    03-26-15 01:42 PM
    Since iOS 8 came out, I tried a few different keyboards, with no significant improvement. I think I just do better with a real keyboard with buttons.
    Ditto. I even hate using Swype/Swiftkey on my tablet. Lol. I need me some physical clicky keys. Haha.
    03-26-15 01:43 PM
    Indeed, if you have the budget for, the Passport is really a great device if the size don't scare you...

But the Classic should do the job for your needs...If you don't need super powered device

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 01:45 PM
    Thanks to everyone who provided feedback. My Classic was ordered from VZW today. My next question is, what do I need to know about when it comes to migrating contacts, etc. from my iPhone to the Classic when it arrives?

Thanks,
    Ted
    04-02-15 09:42 AM
    Pandora works. It's a bit buggy right when you open it but. after that it'll work fine. It's great cause you can minimize the app and continue to do work or use other apps.

Posted via CB10
    ncted likes this.
    04-02-15 09:48 AM
    It's possible to synch your contacts from icloud

Posted via my BlackBerry Classic
    ncted likes this.
    04-02-15 10:44 AM
    It's possible to synch your contacts from icloud

Posted via my BlackBerry Classic
    Thanks, it is obvious how to do this, or are there some instructions somewhere?
    04-02-15 12:21 PM
    Thanks to everyone who provided feedback. My Classic was ordered from VZW today. My next question is, what do I need to know about when it comes to migrating contacts, etc. from my iPhone to the Classic when it arrives?

Thanks,
    Ted
    You can download an app called "Device Switch" on both the iPhone and Classic and do the transfer from there or sync your contacts to your Gmail.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 12:26 PM
    Just do it through your G mail account and welcome to Blackberry Classic.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 01:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    True the Passport is much snappier however some apps look awful on the square screen. One example: SoundHound.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-03-15 04:57 PM
    Thanks, it is obvious how to do this, or are there some instructions somewhere?
    Go in to you "accounts" in the settings. Add your iCloud email account ([email protected]) in the email section and it will give you the option to add contacts, sync emails and calendar options. Works great for me as my wife adds calendar events to her iPhone and they automatically add to my calendar too.
    04-03-15 05:54 PM
    Great to see people coming back to BlackBerry,
    Enjoy your Classic!
    ncted likes this.
    04-03-15 11:52 PM
    Got my Classic today. So far, so good. After years on the iPhone, I already feel like I am typing faster. The display size is fine. I was able to get my email, contact, and calendar synced with GMail with no issues. I still have a lot of migration to go, but so far, I am please with my choice.

-Ted
    awindsr and JG_Agustin like this.
    04-06-15 01:17 PM
    Welcome to the club. Glad to know you left the dark side!

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 01:37 PM
    Got my Classic today. So far, so good. After years on the iPhone, I already feel like I am typing faster. The display size is fine. I was able to get my email, contact, and calendar synced with GMail with no issues. I still have a lot of migration to go, but so far, I am please with my choice.

-Ted
    OK, so I found an issue with Calendar. I only want my personal calendar to display on my BB, yet all of the calendars I subscribe to in GMail are showing up. Any suggestions on how to achieve finer grained control over what is displayed?

Thanks,
    Ted
    04-06-15 01:41 PM
39 12