A couple more questions that I thought of last night:

1) Maps. Is there an easy way to access Google Maps? (App World? Amazon store?) If it's an Android app, do older versions stop updating or stop connecting after a while? What other map solutions are available (Nokia, Bing, etc.)?

2) If I remember correctly, the old BBOS did not allow for multiple alarms. Does BB10 allow this?

3) Does BB10 have Japanese input pre-installed? Furthermore, does anyone know if the LINE messaging app from Android works? (I've heard mixed results. Hate that app, but it's a necessary evil.)
    12-28-14 09:38 AM
    #2- yes
    12-28-14 10:05 AM
    As far as I remember, there are apps that can access Google Maps, but can't think of any name from the top of my head.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 10:13 AM

1) Maps. Is there an easy way to access Google Maps? (App World? Amazon store?) If it's an Android app, do older versions stop updating or stop connecting after a while? What other map solutions are available (Nokia, Bing, etc.)?

2) If I remember correctly, the old BBOS did not allow for multiple alarms. Does BB10 allow this?

3) Does BB10 have Japanese input pre-installed? Furthermore, does anyone know if the LINE messaging app from Android works? (I've heard mixed results. Hate that app, but it's a necessary evil.)
    #1 - If you are willing to sideload SNAP then you can install any android app from the Google play Store, including Maps. If you want a native solution from Blackberry World that uses Google Maps, then BeMaps is an option worth looking into. It costs $5.99 but is well reviewed by purchasers.
    12-28-14 12:03 PM
    went from bold 9700 to iphone 5 when it came out, always missed the productivity on bold 9700 and ease of use but gave up on blackberry at that point for lack of a good browser and not coming out with anything groundbreaking. when I finally got the iphone after contemplating on switching a couple of years I did not see an increase of productivity. I did like it but was not wowed buy it and did miss my bold 9700 form factor. switched to q10 and still missed bold 9700. pre ordered note 4. great phone...awesome awesome battery, and camera and screen but did not like the size as it is not one handed friendly....cant wait to get my classic will be here Monday as I see it being the perfect device for me
    12-28-14 12:16 PM
    Good luck getting an unbiased opinion, OP.
    12-28-14 12:50 PM
    there is quite a few people here that are able to give an unbiased opinion...but a lots of complainer tho
    mk2234 likes this.
    12-28-14 01:11 PM

#2 - on Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154

iPhone to BB Classic - right move?-img_20141228_234500.png

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    12-28-14 10:45 PM

Disclaimer, I own a Q5, not a Classic, and running older software. But I can't imagine anything my phone can do that a Classic couldn't.

1) I downloaded Google maps from Snap and it works fine.

2) Yes, definitely.

3) I don't use other languages but I can say that Line works (I use it a lot), also downloaded via Snap. You even get notifications of a message in the hub which open the app so you can reply if you click on them.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 01:22 AM
    Here are Google maps and Line on my phone (sorry about the stickers, didn't want to post actual conversation!) Someone posted the multiple alarms above too.

iPhone to BB Classic - right move?-img_20141228_232256.png

iPhone to BB Classic - right move?-img_20141228_232506.png

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 01:51 AM
    Far as I'm concerned, iPhone to anything else is a good move.

But in all honesty, if you're transitioning to the BlackBerry world, you might want a gateway phone like the Z10 (or Z30, if the size works for you.)

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 02:01 AM
    well it depends on which side your 'unbiased opinion' leans ..Op hope you get the necessary assistance you need to make an informed decision
    Alain_A likes this.
    12-29-14 09:14 AM
    Don't think u need to come to CB to have anyone help validate ur idea to switch phones. If u wanna do it, do it.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 09:22 AM
    Life's short so just follow your heart my friend

Once you go black, you can't turn back! Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 09:32 AM
    OP...

The BB Classic is the perfect device for some people. Only you will know if you are one of them.
    12-29-14 10:44 AM
    Having just gone from an iPhone 5S to a BB Classic here are my gripes (bearing in mind I have been a long term BB user from OS 4.x to OS 10.2) -

1. Weight! Size! - imagine being forced to drive a Ford F-150 truck after driving a sports coupe for a year.
    2. Screen quality (Classic is no match for the retina display)
    3. Overall visual experience, and smoothness - browsing through webpages and social media apps feels clumsy - imagine going from Windows 7 to Windows 95
    4. Speed - stutters and wait times on the classic compared to insant renders on the iphone
    5. Signal strength is horrible - iphone = 2 bars, classic = NO SIGNAL! <- sincerely hoping this is fixed in the next OS / Radio file

I am back with BB for the physical keyboard and Hub. Will give it a couple of months to see what the OS updates bring (and to strengthen my wrist muscles )
    AL8x B likes this.
    12-29-14 11:50 AM
    Thanks for the help and screenshots, everyone! Webber, thanks for the LINE screenshots; definitely interesting seeing Android apps on a square screen.

My biggest concern with Google Maps is reliability - I would hate to be legitimately lost in an unfamiliar area and have the app give out on me, freeze, crash or otherwise and not have a clue what to do. Yeah, I'm resourceful and have paper maps in my car...but still. My iPhone, despite its flaws, has never given out on me in the times of true need.

scalemaster is right. Only you know yourself. Part of my desire might just be the AHH-NEW-GADGET mentality that the tech industry captivates us with.
    12-29-14 12:55 PM
    Thanks for the help and screenshots, everyone! Webber, thanks for the LINE screenshots; definitely interesting seeing Android apps on a square screen.

My biggest concern with Google Maps is reliability - I would hate to be legitimately lost in an unfamiliar area and have the app give out on me, freeze, crash or otherwise and not have a clue what to do. Yeah, I'm resourceful and have paper maps in my car...but still. My iPhone, despite its flaws, has never given out on me in the times of true need.

scalemaster is right. Only you know yourself. Part of my desire might just be the AHH-NEW-GADGET mentality that the tech industry captivates us with.
    put a real gps in your car like garmin
    12-29-14 12:57 PM
    gave a try to classic and sadly I am sticking with the iphone.

classic software is sluggish and geezzzzzzzzzz not smooth at all.

where as iphone is smooth as silk and damn thing never slows down.
    12-29-14 01:05 PM
    gave a try to classic and sadly I am sticking with the iphone.

where as iphone is smooth as silk and damn thing never slows down.
    First time ever for me to hear this. 'Usually' I hear people complain about their sluggish iphone. And BlackBerry being smooth as butter (at least my BlackBerry is smooth as butter :-D)

Posted via CB10 - BB Z10 / 10.3.1.1154
    12-29-14 01:12 PM
    First time ever for me to hear this. 'Usually' I hear people complain about their sluggish iphone. And BlackBerry being smooth as butter (at least my BlackBerry is smooth as butter :-D)

Posted via CB10 - BB Z10 / 10.3.1.1154
    there is a first time for everything...lol
    bozzg86 likes this.
    12-29-14 01:41 PM
    I came from different mobile OS and ended up with the love of my life - BlackBerry!

BlackBerry 10 OS is uperb. I have used a Z10 - Q10 - and Now Z30. I wish you the best by picking up the Classic. For me it's a nice move. I'm a Keyboard lover hehe

Rockin' with my awesome Z30 C00182421
    12-29-14 04:20 PM
    Great! I'm super excited! Thank you everyone!

I went into the AT&T store today and they didn't know when they would be getting the BlackBerry Classic...not much interest it seemed.

I'll check around for a few more reviews. It seems like most professional reviews either focus on the lack of apps or the nostalgia factor. Other reviews say it's a great upgrade for Bold/Curve owners, but not really worth switching from Android or iOS...but of course, everyone likes different things.
    Im going over from iOS to the Classic tomorrow

Looking forward to use the keyboard!!
    12-29-14 04:29 PM
    YOU ARE ME!!!!

I am making the switch, but from a Samsung S4. Can't take the keyboard any longer, miss my bold oh so much and never got into all the apps. Find them just taking up space on my phone as I never use them. Before making the commitment, I went over to Amazon to check out to make sure the apps I actually do use were available over there. And yes, they are.

Although I don't have my phone yet (Rogers shipped today - FINALLY!), I know it is the right move for me - and presumably for you too!
    12-30-14 01:17 PM

I don't see what's the problem with the software, the OS feels fluent and the app situation is not that bad anymore. BlackBerry still has things to improve, but their devices are very usable in their current state.

Posted via CB10
    Alain_A likes this.
    12-31-14 04:40 AM
59 123