So, I've wanted the Classic for the longest time and was very well ready to make the switch from an iPhone 4S to the Classic but then BlackBerry's distributor, Digital River, screwed up my orders and cancelled them, so I ended up with an iPhone 6 Plus.

Today, the phone has been great, most importantly the battery life. It's the main reason why I got the thing. I start my day at 6am with 100% and can go heavy usage until 6pm when I finish work and still have 30-50% for the rest of the night. Still, I have my eye on the Classic. Now with the Android apps (supposedly) being better accessible on BB10 devices, I'm curious if I can make the switch.

I'm deep into Apple apps but I'm very technically inclined. I know I can use any platform and not have any issues. As long as I can send text messages, receive emails, setup multiple calendars and have actionable tasks lists, I'm good. Everything else is fluff to me (like social media apps that aren't absolutely critical). There's only one thing I can't do without, one sole app that is the deciding factor... Viber.

Gotta have Viber, it's a deal breaker if I can't get it on the Classic. Long story short... the wife uses it. That said, last I looked into it, there were some extensive workarounds to get it up and going on BBQ and BBPassport devices since Viber (for some insane reason) refused to officially support physical keyboard devices. I think the current official Viber app for BB10 is only for the full-touch devices like the Z10, Z30, etc....

So... Has anyone got Viber up and running smoothly on the Classic? Is there fully functionality, like use of stickers, voice call, at least? Would be great to get some feedback from the CB community.

Thanks!
    03-26-15 10:17 PM
    the wife can use bbm as well works great on calls i did have viber when i had a q10 and it worked fine
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    03-26-15 10:26 PM
    So, I've wanted the Classic for the longest time and was very well ready to make the switch from an iPhone 4S to the Classic but then BlackBerry's distributor, Digital River, screwed up my orders and cancelled them, so I ended up with an iPhone 6 Plus.

Today, the phone has been great, most importantly the battery life. It's the main reason why I got the thing. I start my day at 6am with 100% and can go heavy usage until 6pm when I finish work and still have 30-50% for the rest of the night. Still, I have my eye on the Classic. Now with the Android apps (supposedly) being better accessible on BB10 devices, I'm curious if I can make the switch.

I'm deep into Apple apps but I'm very technically inclined. I know I can use any platform and not have any issues. As long as I can send text messages, receive emails, setup multiple calendars and have actionable tasks lists, I'm good. Everything else is fluff to me (like social media apps that aren't absolutely critical). There's only one thing I can't do without, one sole app that is the deciding factor... Viber.

Gotta have Viber, it's a deal breaker if I can't get it on the Classic. Long story short... the wife uses it. That said, last I looked into it, there were some extensive workarounds to get it up and going on BBQ and BBPassport devices since Viber (for some insane reason) refused to officially support physical keyboard devices. I think the current official Viber app for BB10 is only for the full-touch devices like the Z10, Z30, etc....

So... Has anyone got Viber up and running smoothly on the Classic? Is there fully functionality, like use of stickers, voice call, at least? Would be great to get some feedback from the CB community.

Thanks!
    Honesty, if you're coming from an iPhone 6 to a Classic, it will be a HUGE downgrade.... IMHO.

Iphone and its ecosystems is the best in the market...I think BlackBerry is closer to Android, with one having some advantages over the other, but Apple is king

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-27-15 12:49 AM
    I didn't even read the original post, just the title.

Classic kicks the iphones @ss all over the place. Get a Classic.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 12:52 AM
    Classic will definitely feel a downgrade from the iPhone 6plus. Why don't you get the passport. It is a phone you can never feel downgrade rather an upgrade from the iPhone 6plus

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 04:11 AM
    Classic will definitely feel a downgrade from the iPhone 6plus. Why don't you get the passport. It is a phone you can never feel downgrade rather an upgrade from the iPhone 6plus

Posted via CB10
    Couldn't agree more. If you're used to the IP6+ size and battery , you won't be happy with the Classic. I'll leave the downgrade/upgrade debate to fanatics of one or the other system. I always have to leave emotions and prejudgment out of these decisions. I can only advise that you Google "iPhone 6 Plus vs Passport", and you'll find many people have no regret switching from the IP6+ to the Passport. The battery is better than IP6+. The processor is better. The screen is just as sharp. The phone overall just feels better made. Unquestionably, the Apple has a better app ecosystem, and more available accessories. I carry the Passport, an IP6+, and a Note Edge and I like all three for different reasons, but it's definitely more satisfying using the Passport due to the hub, swipe gestured, and shortcuts.
    Last edited by quangtran1; 03-27-15 at 08:27 AM.
    03-27-15 04:30 AM
    I've had the 6 plus in the last 3 months and now own the Classic. Like others have mentioned IOS ecosystem of apps really can't be touched currently. That's the strongest advantage.

Pros. While the 6 Plus feels well built I think the classic is built even better. The physical keyboard is obviously a huge plus to most as well. Add to that expandable storage, BB10 and the new tool belt.

The iPhone 6 Plus has its flaws.. big ugly bezzels, no expandable storage, build quality issues including my original one right out of the box at the store. Also some reporting screen issues although I didn't.

I have no issues recommending the Classic over the 6 Plus but I really depends what you want.

Ryan

Posted via CB10
    Plazmic Flame and quangtran1 like this.
    03-27-15 07:09 AM
    Switch her from Viber to BBM . I did that with my partners, and he prefers it

Posted with a BlackBerry Q10, Australia
    03-27-15 08:14 AM
    As most if not all of us know, can't really compare the 2 devices. (iPhone 6+ and Classic.) That's like comparing an Aston Martin to a high-end Toyota. Don't know if Viber works on the Classic, but as someone mentioned, when I had a Q10, Viber was available. I'm sure there are workarounds to get Viber on the Classic.

Otherwise, switching from iPhone to Classic is totally up to you but don't be shocked if you notice how "slow" the Classic is compared to the 6+ but the 2 devices shouldn't even be compared to one another.
    WT44 and Plazmic Flame like this.
    03-27-15 09:25 AM
    I wouldn't classify the Classic (or any BB10 device) as either an upgrade or a downgrade to the iPhone. What it is may best be described as a move to a completely different way of doing mobile. And it requires a different mindset. Folks with lots of apps and taking lofts of pictures would be best served by sticking with an iPhone. However, folks who handle a large number of emails every day and focus on productivity over social apps might be best served by BlackBerry. Anybody contemplating this choice (BlackBerry vs iPhone) should do a very honest personal assessment of his mobile priorities. Personally I plan to keep my iPhone 6 and use my BlackBerry Classic for a while to see which suits me better. Everyone's pros/cons list will be different.
    03-27-15 12:48 PM
    Both. Use the iphone on Hotspot.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 01:12 PM
    Viber from 1Mobile works flawlessly.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 05:16 AM
    folks who handle a large number of emails every day and focus on productivity over social apps might be best served by BlackBerry.
    What kind of productivity?
    03-28-15 05:20 AM
    Viber from 1Mobile works flawlessly.

Posted via CB10
    So you've downloaded Viber through 1Mobile onto the Classic with no issues?

Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated. Some of you mentioned apps & the ecosystem but I'm not concerned about that. The only app I gotta have is Viber, everything else I know I can get the Android version or some BB10 equivalent. I think at this point I'll just hold off until later this year when (hopefully) we might see a Classic 2 that has a larger capacity battery.

Someone mentioned the Passport but I've been able to use it a number of times, thanks to a coworker who works right beside me, since it came out. Not a fan of the keyboard and jumping between physical and software keys. Really want the Classic for the full-on physical keyboard and trackpad experience.
    03-28-15 07:43 AM
    I wouldn't classify the Classic (or any BB10 device) as either an upgrade or a downgrade to the iPhone. What it is may best be described as a move to a completely different way of doing mobile. And it requires a different mindset. Folks with lots of apps and taking lofts of pictures would be best served by sticking with an iPhone. However, folks who handle a large number of emails every day and focus on productivity over social apps might be best served by BlackBerry. Anybody contemplating this choice (BlackBerry vs iPhone) should do a very honest personal assessment of his mobile priorities. Personally I plan to keep my iPhone 6 and use my BlackBerry Classic for a while to see which suits me better. Everyone's pros/cons list will be different.
    Very well said without emotional rhetoric!

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    03-28-15 08:25 AM
    While I loved me BB, I went back to apple. The main reason is security. Because BB does not have as many apps, and you can now use Google or Amazon. The first thing you will notice is the same apps that as for no access on the I phone now want full access to your entire phone. This was the deal breaker for me. Why to use an app do they need access to my photos, camera, data base on phone and cloud. When the exact same app on the IOS needs none of this to work? Until this is fixed by BB, I will stay with the I phone.
    06-16-15 08:59 PM
    Viber works fine mate, no problem at all

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 12:39 AM
    I went from an iphone 5s to the clsssic. I am way more productive in my life then I was with the iphone. I spent a lot of time messing with useless apps on the iphone. the only social media I use is twitter and I take maybe two pictures a week. I can answer important emails and messages quickly and the battery life on the classic faaaaaaaaar outshines the iphone battery anyday.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 04:56 AM
    I went from an iphone 5s to the clsssic. I am way more productive in my life then I was with the iphone. I spent a lot of time messing with useless apps on the iphone. the only social media I use is twitter and I take maybe two pictures a week. I can answer important emails and messages quickly and the battery life on the classic faaaaaaaaar outshines the iphone battery anyday.

Posted via CB10
    But i find the iPhone 5s battery to be very good, especially when sitting idle
    06-17-15 06:25 AM
    I currently have an iPhone 6 and have just added a BB Classic to the set up too.
    I don't use them together, more one at a time.

Everything I do on my iPhone I can do on my Classic.

I'll break down my pros and cons for you:

Pros for Classic over iPhone
    - Doing stuff is just quicker. When I say 'stuff', I mean texting, emailing, WhatsApping etc. The keyboard is just gorgeous and once you get used to it, it's so much better than an onscreen keyboard. No more backspacing!
    - BB HUB. If you've ever used it before you'll know how good it is. Not having to return to home screen to go into individual apps to read emails or reply to texts, or FB/Twitter notifications is just so good.
    - Feel. Such a solid feel and build. The iPhone also is built very well, but it's slippy and difficult to hold. I imagine the 6 Plus is worse. No such problem with Classic and that textured back. Feels great in hand.
    - More customisation. I feel this is where Apple are behind everyone else. You can't really customise. It's literally their way or now way. It's quite difficult to put your own stamp on an iPhone. Whilst the Classic and other BB devices aren't as customisable as Android, there's still more in the way of customisation. LED lights, notifications, HUB changes to show your important things first and at the top, coloured tabs for different hub notifications etc. Very very good.

Cons of Classic over iPhone
    - Unlocking. Say what you want but Touch ID is brilliant. It's so much quicker than typing a password or using the visual password on the Classic. Whilst I love the password feature on Classic, Touch ID is just flawless and works brilliantly.
    - Speed. There's no issues with the Classic and the speed of it for me. But using Android apps (I'll use Spotify as an example) there's a big difference in how long it takes compared to iPhone. And it's all down to native app support etc.
    The apps all work ok on BB, but they just lack the speed of the iPhone versions. Like I say it's no massive deal breaker as what you need to do can be done, just not as quick.
    - Camera. Camera of the iPhone will be better. Specifically the 6 Plus as that has a fantastic camera. You will not be happy if taking photos is your thing. I personally am very impressed with the Classic camera in good light - even if the images are a little oversaturated. However, it does make for a lovely looking photo. The kind of results you get from an iPhone once you've edited and added a filter to make the colours pop ha. But the iPhone has a much better camera performance overall and you will find the Classic's camera sluggish and below par even though it can get good results.
    - Compromises. You will have to compromise. More so with non-native app speed and performance of apps. Instagram works fine enough, but viewing photos is not the same as it is on an iPhone or even a full touch BB. And that's just down to the screen size and shape. For me, I don't feel like I'm compromising as I use both devices. My iPhone has a cheap sim in there and I take it with me on the go if I need to take quick, good snaps, like if I'm going out to the zoo or a weekend trip or whatever. The Classic comes with me too, for all my messaging and calls and stuff, but I made the decision to use both devices as I wanted the best of both. So far it works, but if someone put a gun to me head and told me to choose a device I'd have to go with the iPhone. And that's only because there aren't as many compromises for me to make.
    As it stands though, I am fortunate enough to use both and it's working out for me for now.

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.
    06-17-15 06:46 AM
    Do both. Best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 07:53 AM
    As long as I can send text messages, receive emails, setup multiple calendars and have actionable tasks lists, I'm good. Everything else is fluff to me (like social media apps that aren't absolutely critical). There's only one thing I can't do without, one sole app that is the deciding factor... Viber.
    You don't need a Classic for that.

If you are not a guy who needs to smoke long cigars, a 9900 will serve you more than perfectly.

As a bonus you'll save $$$ on the purchase price and on data if you travel international.
    06-17-15 10:05 AM