I'm doing the dance I'm sure many of you are doing. Having given up my beloved Curve at the start of Jan for a Priv, am now trying a Classic that I set up a few years back (went back to Curve). Thought the Classic, though still too big and with a touchscreen, would be so much better than carting around an android device the size of a plate that seems to want to take over my life, takes ages to do anything and makes me feel like a deskilled halfwit prodding at a weird mirror.

So far so good, fingers crossed. I was puzzled by the difficulty I was having importing contacts, as it had been so easy to move them from the Curve to the Priv over bluetooth. Save yourself 2 hours and do this:

On the Priv, go into your contacts and tap on the settings cog in top right-hand corner
    - tap on contacts management
    - import/export
    - export to storage
    - it asks you whether you'd like to export it to file x.vcf, click ok
    - write yourself an e-mail on your Priv, hit the attachment paperclip, hit file, scroll down and you should see your vcf file at the bottom, select that
    - ping e-mail to yourself
    - on Classic, when e-mail arrives, open it, tap the attachment, it will ask you whether you'd like to import the contacts from the file, say yes. Le voila! The contacts appeared pretty much instantly on my Classic.
    Have got SO much help from you lovely crackberry people over the years, will be delighted if this helps another bb junkie as we navigate these rough waters.
    xxx
    Ragbert and boogywstew like this.
    01-21-22 07:41 AM
    I'm doing the dance I'm sure many of you are doing. Having given up my beloved Curve at the start of Jan for a Priv, am now trying a Classic that I set up a few years back (went back to Curve). Thought the Classic, though still too big and with a touchscreen, would be so much better than carting around an android device the size of a plate that seems to want to take over my life, takes ages to do anything and makes me feel like a deskilled halfwit prodding at a weird mirror.

So far so good, fingers crossed. I was puzzled by the difficulty I was having importing contacts, as it had been so easy to move them from the Curve to the Priv over bluetooth. Save yourself 2 hours and do this:

On the Priv, go into your contacts and tap on the settings cog in top right-hand corner
    - tap on contacts management
    - import/export
    - export to storage
    - it asks you whether you'd like to export it to file x.vcf, click ok
    - write yourself an e-mail on your Priv, hit the attachment paperclip, hit file, scroll down and you should see your vcf file at the bottom, select that
    - ping e-mail to yourself
    - on Classic, when e-mail arrives, open it, tap the attachment, it will ask you whether you'd like to import the contacts from the file, say yes. Le voila! The contacts appeared pretty much instantly on my Classic.
    Have got SO much help from you lovely crackberry people over the years, will be delighted if this helps another bb junkie as we navigate these rough waters.
    xxx
    Yeah it's the going the other way that get's tricky at this point. As it requires an app to enable the exporting, along with a way to keep things backed up... just in case the worst happens and you lose a phone.

Why most have moved on to cloud based solution that allow shared contract between all platforms and devices.
    01-21-22 02:19 PM
    Hi there, I was amazed at how easy it was to export from a curve to a priv using bluetooth - so presumably other app-based phones? Or perhaps non-BB app-based phones are different, I haven't tried one since a short-lived experiment with an iphone many years ago! I think this was the vid I used at the start of Jan, works like a dream - and he's not importing to a BB android phone...

Good luck all!
    01-21-22 02:30 PM
    Like Dunt dunt dunt said, the best solution is to move to a modern email format that natively supports calendar and contact sync. While that still leaves the step of importing onboard contacts, once it's done there's nothing else to do no matter what device you use.
    02-27-22 01:50 PM