Bottom line is, not the Passport nor the Classic is a direct upgrade for Q10 users, all we can do is wait.
    And one way of looking at things is this: One of the reasons the 'Q20' title might have been dropped for 'Classic' is because Blackberry may be planning a direct upgrade to the Q10 with no tool belt (just upgraded specs) which would more aptly fit the 'Q20' moniker. Just a thought.

10.3.1.1154 / STA100-2
    12-24-14 01:23 PM
    And one way of looking at things is this: One of the reasons the 'Q20' title might have been dropped for 'Classic' is because Blackberry may be planning a direct upgrade to the Q10 with no tool belt (just upgraded specs) which would more aptly fit the 'Q20' moniker. Just a thought.

10.3.1.1154 / STA100-2
    Interesting, you might be onto something.
    12-24-14 03:17 PM
    if a phone has not sell well I think it is a good thing not to keep going with it...only produce the big sellers
    12-24-14 03:41 PM

Since the Classic has all the specs of the Q10, I'm very certain the slow Google Maps and also slow loading of webpages (when they have lots of ads) will just continue. I'm sure the toolbelt will be a very cool addition, but it's hard for me to think of committing to a phone which is essentially the same as my old one (with all the same problems) for another two years.

I do think Chen is doing the right thing by helping retain BlackBerry's diehard customers with the Classic. I'm just not sure what he's doing to retain the new BlackBerry customers who switched to the Q10 a few years ago.
    I doubt he is doing anything to retain new BB customers who started with a Q10. I doubt there are enough of them to worry about. It is a same they did not put a faster CPU in the Classic, in many ways it's the best that BB has ever made.
    12-25-14 01:18 AM
    if a phone has not sell well I think it is a good thing not to keep going with it...only produce the big sellers
    The big sellers? So you mean BB will exit the handset business? Lol. Sorry, couldn't resist. :-P

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Alain_A likes this.
    12-25-14 09:28 AM
    Don't think that BlackBerry released the Classic as an upgrade from the Q10.

Same as the Q5, it was to have users with older BlackBerry devices move up to BB10.

Posted by a Proud NRA Supporter!
    12-25-14 09:35 AM
    Don't think that BlackBerry released the Classic as an upgrade from the Q10.

Same as the Q5, it was to have users with older BlackBerry devices move up to BB10.

Posted by a Proud NRA Supporter!
    It may not be an upgrade to the Q10 specs-wise, but for me personally I have just been itching to get rid of the Q10 for a toolbelt device. Really missed the physical keys on the toolbelt. All of those touchscreen work-arounds were just that, work-arounds. They were never as good as the real deal...

TgeekB likes this.
    12-25-14 09:56 AM
    you'd have to be technostupid to like going from the Q10 to the Classic. thats like going from the first iPhone back to a Nokia 3310 because you missed pressing keys to call.
    Some of us actually require fast and accurate text selection / cursor placement / copy / paste and activesync email/calendar to do our jobs... its not about cpu about specs or being techno-smart, its about IT departments decommissioning their BES, forcing people who love blackberry to abandon their beloved 9900's for a Q10 only to become less productive. This is my story at least and I imagine there's more people in a similar boat.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 11:23 AM

10.3.1.1154 / STA100-2
    I doubt that a Q10 with upgrades specs will ever be released. The Q10 hasn't sold well so what would be the point. It doesn't appeal to traditional users because of the lack of the "toolbelt" and the touch screen gesture loving crowd might prefer a Z (though an IPhone or Android device is a more likely choice".
    idssteve likes this.
    12-25-14 02:17 PM
    Some of us actually require fast and accurate text selection / cursor placement / copy / paste and activesync email/calendar to do our jobs... its not about cpu about specs or being techno-smart, its about IT departments decommissioning their BES, forcing people who love blackberry to abandon their beloved 9900's for a Q10 only to become less productive. This is my story at least and I imagine there's more people in a similar boat.

Posted via CB10
    Don't bother with him. The real "technostupid" people are the ones that believe in the "newer has to be better philosophy." If people like that actually made the decisions for big companies, like Ford for example, they would have stuck with touchscreen controls for things like the A/C in the car and people would keep complaining. But luckily they have some smart people working for them and that's why in newer cars they have gone back to physical controls for the core functions of the car. Same with phones, actual wise and smart individuals would recognize the value of a physical call end button for it's sense of security in knowing something is done when it is needed and real smart people are not lost in the novelty of the "cool" gimmicky new ways to do everything. With the Classic, it has both buttons AND a touchscreen, so to say it's going backwards is probably the most ignorant thing to say. It's like saying Ford is going backwards by reintroducing physical dash controls even though the in-dash infotainment center is still there and more advanced than before... So seriously, don't waste your time, some people will never understand.

12-25-14 05:03 PM
    Don't you know by now, Slagman?

I'm over the Classic, us Q10 users are the real losers here-tumblr_lmd52ib88c1qkjxr5o1_500.jpg

[/SARCASM]

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    slagman5 likes this.
    12-25-14 08:25 PM
    I don't think cars and phones are comparable but whatever.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 08:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    I thought it was a pretty solid analogy. The great thing about the old BBs is you could use them almost by feel. They were great for one handed use and for multitasking. Gesture based touch screens require much more work to use.

For cars you need to focus on the road when driving. Touch screens are a disaster in these cases. I am happy not to have one in my car.
    BigAl_BB9900 and idssteve like this.
    12-25-14 10:39 PM
    The Classic was not intended to be an upgrade from the Q10 or Passport at all. It was made specifically to get Bold 9900 users (and other legacy users) on BB10.

The size of the Passport and its 3-row keyboard intimidated me. The old specs and toolbelt on the Classic made me decide against purchasing it. I want a true upgrade from my Q10; Better/slightly larger screen, same keyboard but touch-sensitive, upgraded specs, etc.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    12-26-14 12:34 AM
    But still kinda slow....

Have read a number of Classic reviews and most complain of the load times for Android Apps. One even timed one game and it took 10 seconds on their Android Device and 30 seconds on the Classic. Now this could very well have more to do with the Classics older hardware than the Runtime. But when you open yourself up to direct comparisons by using someone else's Apps....
    Very true. Unfortunately this is why BlackBerry can't afford these low end specs from double yesteryear.

The most improvement will come with a better runtime but the very least they could have done is partially alleviated the problem by putting half decent specs inside.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 03:42 AM
    The classic isn't meant for q10 users.
    12-26-14 01:00 PM
    I realize you posted this internationally but where can you get the classic with a contract (not just for $50 but at all)?
    In the US AT&T say's they will sell it at some point, but they are also said the same thing about the passport which has been out since the fall.

I don't understand why blackberry isn't suing at&t; they were given the exclusive rights to sell the phone, but yet they don't actually sell the phone. How do they expect anyone except the most hardcore blackberry fans to be able to buy it? You would think that when the contract was drawn up the people at blackberry would have been smart enough to include phrasing that made sure the phone would actually be sold within certain number of days after it was released.
    All I want is a phone with a keyboard, is that too much to ask for?
    12-26-14 01:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    Um, which is why I limited the comparison to the interface, not anything that is actually automobile related. They are just a good example because they have to listen to consumer input to keep their vehicles competitive. So they make these changes faster.

BigAl_BB9900 and idssteve like this.
    12-26-14 02:15 PM
    To the original poster,
    1. the Classic was not designed for you. Look at all the promotion for it. It's clearly designed for BlackBerry 7 users that refused to move to 10.

2. The classic can't be slower because of the toolbelt because you don't have to use it. You can use your classic just like you did the Q10. just don't use the belt. The touch screen is still in tact.

3. If you're going to tell me the Classic is slow, you have to compare it to your Q10, not the Passport. Even the Z30 feels slow next tot he Passport. That's not a adequate comparison. The Passport is the 2014 Flagship. The Classic is not intended in any way to be a flagship device.
    clickitykeys likes this.
    12-27-14 04:05 PM
    Um, which is why I limited the comparison to the interface, not anything that is actually automobile related. They are just a good example because they have to listen to consumer input to keep their vehicles competitive. So they make these changes faster.

Automobiles have hard controls so the driver can use it while still keeping his eyes on the road, you can browse stations, a/c control etc.

You cannot use a phone while not looking at the screen, u cant go through emails or apps or whatever without looking at the screen.

Hence they are not comparable.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 06:11 PM
    To the original poster,
    1. the Classic was not designed for you. Look at all the promotion for it. It's clearly designed for BlackBerry 7 users that refused to move to 10.
    Yes, I realize that now.

2. The classic can't be slower because of the toolbelt because you don't have to use it. You can use your classic just like you did the Q10. just don't use the belt. The touch screen is still in tact.
    I posted an example in one of my posts how the toolbelt actually makes the phone slower when scrolling the hub and reading emails, even when not using the toolbelt.

3. If you're going to tell me the Classic is slow, you have to compare it to your Q10, not the Passport. Even the Z30 feels slow next tot he Passport. That's not a adequate comparison. The Passport is the 2014 Flagship. The Classic is not intended in any way to be a flagship device.
    Exactly my point, I'm stuck comparing my phones speed to a two year old phone. At least give it Z30 specs so it has a slight upgrade in speed.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 06:14 PM
    Automobiles have hard controls so the driver can use it while still keeping his eyes on the road, you can browse stations, a/c control etc.

You cannot use a phone while not looking at the screen, u cant go through emails or apps or whatever without looking at the screen.

Hence they are not comparable.

Posted via CB10
    You can end a call without looking at the screen if the phone has an end call button.
    clickitykeys likes this.
    12-27-14 06:15 PM
    You can end a call without looking at the screen if the phone has an end call button.
    We went through that already, we were mainly discussing the trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 06:16 PM
    Yes, I realize that now.

I posted an example in one of my posts how the toolbelt actually makes the phone slower when scrolling the hub and reading emails, even when not using the toolbelt.

Exactly my point, I'm stuck comparing my phones speed to a two year old phone. At least give it Z30 specs so it has a slight upgrade in speed.

Posted via CB10
    I have the Z30...when compare side by side I don't see difference in speed. for Calendar, file manager, browser, calculator, remember. some apps open a tad faster than the Z 30 but enough to make a huge difference and vice versa

Z 30 running 10.3.1.1157 OS leak
    12-27-14 06:24 PM
    I have the Z30...when compare side by side I don't see difference in speed. for Calendar, file manager, browser, calculator, remember. some apps open a tad faster than the Z 30 but enough to make a huge difference and vice versa
    That wasn't my experience at all, on day to day activities my Z30 outperformed my Q10 in almost every way.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 06:26 PM
174 ... 4567