Some folks say to just use the gestures and ignore the trackpad for most uses, well I don't know if I am the only one with this issue but when I scroll through the hub I sometimes have to tap twice to open the email, the first tap just highlights the email and only the second tap opens it. The Q10 just needed one tap, it is just so much quicker that way

This Classic was obviously built for use with the trackpad in mind when in fact the BB10 os is clearly designed for gestures. So I can ignore the trackpad but gestures are less efficient on the Classic than on any other BB10 device.

My Q10 is going to soon be 2 years old, it isn't the fastest, the camera is not great and the screen is pretty small so I still don't know where I will go when I am due for an upgrade. I don't think all Q10 users will love the Passport's huge form as awesome as the phone is, we still need something that fits into our hand.

So, if the Q10 is outdated (for me and plenty of us), the Passport is too big and the Classic is only geared towards legacy users, where does that leave the faithful Q10 users??
    I think that the Visa/Victoria model might be for you. Hopefully, it'll be a true upgrade with all the features you'd hope to see.

iPhone 6+ / iOS 8.1.2 / T-Mobile USA
    12-23-14 10:50 AM

Q: Why then does BlackBerry continue to make mediocre devices instead of slab devices with over-the-top specs for the millions of other than enterprise users who would be interested in such a device?
    Simple, because they do not know how to do it
    12-23-14 12:01 PM
    I upgraded from my Q10 to the Passport a month ago and loved it but it was just too big for me, I missed the Q10 form factor and keyboard. Naturally as soon as the Classic was released I bought it and although I loved it the fist day and I really wanted to continue to love it, it all went downhill from there.

I can't imagine anyone coming from a Q10 who would like this phone, the trackpad is useless to me on the gesture based OS, everything is so much slower with the toolbelt. It's so much easier and faster to just use gestures. After using BB10 for almost two years this phone is a MAJOR step backward for me.

Some say specs don't matter, but seriously?? A new phone with two year old specs? Of course it matters. This phone is slow as molasses in opening Android apps and even when I open my native Pictures app for example I literally have to stare at a blank screen for about 8-10 seconds until the photos start showing up. Inexcusable. My Passport does NOT have this issue.

Basically, I can only see people who upgraded from their 9900 being maybe happy with this.

So where does that leave us Q10 users? Passport is too big for me as a phone, I am not into the whole phablet thing and the Classic is a downgrade in terms of the toolbelt is not needed and the specs suck. I guess back to the huge Passport it is. I thought I would love the classic but I'd rather put up with the Passport's size issue then all the Classic's shortcomings..

Uch.
    I don't understand your complaints with the Classic coming from the Q10. No one is forcing use of the tool belt as you still have the touchscreen. BlackBerry did not take anything away from the use of gestures, so any slow down only comes with user choice in attempting to implement the tool belt into individual workflow. The Classic is in no way a step backwards from the Q10 as it is invariably the same as the Q10 save for upgrades to software to include shortcut implementation, etc., and the tool belt. I mean, both devices are running BB10. I'm not suggesting that the Classic is a step up from the Q10, but you can't seriously call it coupled with 10.3.1 a step backwards.

I do agree that the Passport runs noticeably faster than the Classic, but it's suppose to. So if you mean the Classic is a step backwards from the Passport in that respect, I will say you're absolutely correct. It seems what you may have been expecting is a Passport in the Classic/Q10 form factor. That was never promised to anyone. Your observation about maybe the Bold 9900 users being happy with the Classic is spot on as this device was meant for them.

I'm assuming that your gripe is that there does not appear to be any adequate refresh/update for the Q10. To this point, I'm sure some would point you in the direction of the Passport.

The Classic wasn't designed for existing BB10 users. It was designed to bring over the holdout Legacy users to BB10. Once you get that through your head, it makes sense that they did what they did. If specs mattered to legacy users, they would have switched to something else long ago. Price is what matters, and while some might argue that $450 is too much for the phone, it's a pretty decent price for a phone right out of the gate. You can get this for $50 on contract! Not many new phones offer that. The R&D that went into making the trackpad work on BB10 doesn't come for free, and neither does designing the phone. You can't expect the same price as the Q10, even if the specs are similar. You're getting a brand new phone that comes with an OS that is, at least officially, exclusive to that device, as well as the promise that the phone will be supported for the foreseeable future, unlike the Q10, which is swiftly reaching its end of life and support.

So really, it doesn't make sense to complain about the pricing or the specs. If you're not a legacy user, the phone wasn't designed for you. Sure, it would be nice if you used it and spent the money on it, but you're not the target demographic if you use another BB10 device.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    I wish I could like your post a hundred thousand times as TITCR.
    12-23-14 12:10 PM
    Android runtime also has a very different result depending on the app used. On some, I hardly notice they are Android apps. On others, the experience is so miserable and laggy that I'm hating life. And sometimes it's in the strangest of places where you just wouldn't expect it!
    I agree with this 100%. For the most part the Android apps I have work well and don't lag when open. But there are some that are atrocious. Load times for all apps are also too slow. BB needs to make the Android experience consistent across all apps if they are serious about leveraging it for their platform, even if it is just for the time being.
    12-23-14 12:11 PM
    Go back to your Q10 and wait for the new update to 10.3.1, I'm running a developer 10.3.1.something... lol and it's amazing on the Q10. The fact that being a year and 10 months old when the os drops for the older bb10 devices is amazing in itself.

Very few phones get updates that late in their life cycle.

And wait till CES 2015 and MWC2015, Chen will unveil something.

Part of being a blackberry loyalist is unfortunately the waiting game, but it's getting better with Chen.

Just go back to your Q10 and save the money for a new device that meets your needs
    Scotus likes this.
    12-23-14 12:35 PM
    Have a great day.
    Oven got too hot, I guess.
    See ya.
    12-23-14 12:44 PM
    Simple, because they do not know how to do market it
    Fixed it for ya....
    clickitykeys likes this.
    12-23-14 12:45 PM
    A Q10 upgrade would have been this phone size (Classic) without the Toolbar and more screen size. That would have been the perfect phone for me.

Posted via CB10
    phantomtech likes this.
    12-23-14 02:27 PM
    A Q10 upgrade would have been this phone size (Classic) without the Toolbar and more screen size. That would have been the perfect phone for me.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly, that's basically what I have been trying to say. Touch enabled keyboard wouldn't have hurt either.

Sigh.

I guess all we can do is wait.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 02:49 PM
    Go back to your Q10 and wait for the new update to 10.3.1, I'm running a developer 10.3.1.something... lol and it's amazing on the Q10. The fact that being a year and 10 months old when the os drops for the older bb10 devices is amazing in itself.

Very few phones get updates that late in their life cycle.

And wait till CES 2015 and MWC2015, Chen will unveil something.

Part of being a blackberry loyalist is unfortunately the waiting game, but it's getting better with Chen.

Just go back to your Q10 and save the money for a new device that meets your needs
    This ^

i also noticed that we are still getting updates
    12-23-14 02:55 PM
    Exactly! I went from the 9930 to the Q10 and don't understand the need for the tool belt at this point, but the Classic is for the holdouts who wouldn't change otherwise. I really love the Q10 and have no plans to switch back to using a tool belt, and I'm content with that. I'm sure, maybe in a year, we'll see a newer version of the Q10. Patience...
    12-23-14 04:30 PM
    Exactly! I went from the 9930 to the Q10 and don't understand the need for the tool belt at this point, but the Classic is for the holdouts who wouldn't change otherwise. I really love the Q10 and have no plans to switch back to using a tool belt, and I'm content with that. I'm sure, maybe in a year, we'll see a newer version of the Q10. Patience...
    not true....coming from a Z 30 here
    12-23-14 04:33 PM
    not true....coming from a Z 30 here
    You might be coming from a Z30, but you're not a part of the target demographic. The Classic absolutely is targeted at Legacy holdouts. The fact that you went for one is merely a bonus for BlackBerry.

JB

12-23-14 04:41 PM
    You might be coming from a Z30, but you're not a part of the target demographic. The Classic absolutely is targeted at Legacy holdouts. The fact that you went for one is merely a bonus for BlackBerry.

JB

it is for people that wants the kb and belt...no matter where they are coming from.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    12-23-14 04:55 PM
    I hear you, but if liking the Q10 was a misfortune than I feel we are the losers because we bought into that phone.

Glad to see Blackberry cares more about their Bold users than the early adopters of the Q10..

I'm just venting lol

Posted via CB10
    Your misfortune is there weren't enough of you. The market spoke and BlackBerry has to listen. Haven't we accused them all these years of not listening to what the market wants? Well they have.

And I moved from a Q10 and thought Classic was a step backwards. After using it I don't.

Bottom line is if they had sold millions as they were hoping there would have been a Q10 - 2.

Posted Via The Classic
    ponpiri likes this.
    12-23-14 06:07 PM
    There are 6 blackberry 10 devices to choose from all the bases are covered. Pick the one you like and use it, if not stop crying and move to another device...
    There are 7 devices running BB10.

Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Z3, Classic & Passport.

10.3.1.1154 / STA100-2
    12-23-14 06:20 PM
    it is for people that wants the kb and belt...no matter where they are coming from.
    If you want to believe that, go for it. You've already bought into the new BlackBerry. Not to say they don't care about you - that's not it at all. Rather, they aren't focused on getting your business. They already have it/had it, and while I have no doubt your continued business is appreciated, you're not the demographic the company is aiming at. They want to bring new people into the BB10 fold. You're already in. You know how the OS is and how awesome it is. The move to bring back the trackpad was made SPECIFICALLY to attract legacy holdouts. If enough people had switched from BBOS to BB10 initially, this move would not have been necessary at all, and likely wouldn't have happened.

JB

BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    12-24-14 12:07 AM
    If you want to believe that, go for it. You've already bought into the new BlackBerry. Not to say they don't care about you - that's not it at all. Rather, they aren't focused on getting your business. They already have it/had it, and while I have no doubt your continued business is appreciated, you're not the demographic the company is aiming at. They want to bring new people into the BB10 fold. You're already in. You know how the OS is and how awesome it is. The move to bring back the trackpad was made SPECIFICALLY to attract legacy holdouts. If enough people had switched from BBOS to BB10 initially, this move would not have been necessary at all, and likely wouldn't have happened.

JB

I hear you and I am glad that the tool belt is back...OS 10 is quite of the learning experience..it is not for everybody... I hope they succeed
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    12-24-14 12:32 AM
  19. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    The classic was really for bb7 users to upgrade to the bb10 OS. So it's basically a crappy blackberry phone. The same type phone which made people leave blackberry years ago for other platform. The classic. A Q10 with a track pad lol. Why would anyone downgrade or waste money on this phone.
    You are an id**t... stop commenting on subjects you know nothing about...

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 12:39 AM
    The q10 was replaced in the lineup by the passport. The classic replaces the q5.

That's just the way it is. They can't make 20 different devices to please everyone.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 12:47 AM
    Definitely Passport II
    12-24-14 12:50 AM
    There are 7 devices running BB10.

Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Z3, Classic & Passport.

10.3.1.1154 / STA100-2
    And the other 3 Porsche etc designs

^_^
    12-24-14 12:54 AM
    Fellow Q10 user here and I'm in the same boat as the OP. The Q10 is actually my first BlackBerry phone ever and I will say I love the phone. I switched from the iPhone 4 because that phone was so small that I made numerous typos when sending messages. The Q10 is not perfect, but I've truly enjoyed the keyboard. I can't believe how few typos I make anymore. My main issue with the phone is how long it takes to run Google Maps (about 25-30 seconds) and also the lag with opening up webpages with lots of ads, etc... My assumption was that the Passport with the improved CPU and memory would probably load things more quickly and so improve my general experience overall while maintaining a very good keyboard.

I'm on Verizon and I'll be due for an upgrade soon, but I am lost as to where to go now. In all honesty, I really would like to get the Passport but Verizon does not allow that phone on their network. My job requires me to have Verizon so switching to AT&T for the Passport isn't an option. It looks like my options are either Classic or change to iPhone 6. My main problem with the Classic is it feels like I'll just be getting a slightly larger Q10 (with toolbelt). Since the Classic has all the specs of the Q10, I'm very certain the slow Google Maps and also slow loading of webpages (when they have lots of ads) will just continue. I'm sure the toolbelt will be a very cool addition, but it's hard for me to think of committing to a phone which is essentially the same as my old one (with all the same problems) for another two years.

Currently I'm thinking the smartest option for me is to wait and see if BlackBerry might have plans to release a more direct Q10 upgrade phone in 2015. If they don't, then I'll probably just give Apple another chance. Who knows, maybe with the larger form factor typing on an iPhone 6 won't be as bad as the iPhone 4. If I don't like it, I guess I can always just reactivate my Q10 and continue to use it as before.

I do think Chen is doing the right thing by helping retain BlackBerry's diehard customers with the Classic. I'm just not sure what he's doing to retain the new BlackBerry customers who switched to the Q10 a few years ago.
    Actually the load time will be much faster. Welcome to 10.3.1 haha

Runtime is fantastic in that regard compared to 10.2.1

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 01:42 AM
    Actually the load time will be much faster. Welcome to 10.3.1 haha

Runtime is fantastic in that regard compared to 10.2.1

Posted via CB10
    But still kinda slow....

Have read a number of Classic reviews and most complain of the load times for Android Apps. One even timed one game and it took 10 seconds on their Android Device and 30 seconds on the Classic. Now this could very well have more to do with the Classics older hardware than the Runtime. But when you open yourself up to direct comparisons by using someone else's Apps....
    12-24-14 08:39 AM
    Bottom line is, not the Passport nor the Classic is a direct upgrade for Q10 users, all we can do is wait.
    12-24-14 11:20 AM
174 ... 34567