As a general note, guys, the Android apps run on an emulator / virtual machine like setup. Although obviously some emulation performance is derived from hardware, I haven't seen any differences in running Android apps between my Q10 and Z10, wifey's Q5, and my brother's Passport.
    In terms of Android Runtime performances on different BB 10 devices, my observation is different from yours. To me Z10 is significantly slower than Z30, and Z30 is clearly slower than Passport.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1151
    12-22-14 05:46 PM
    I can't exactly agree with that though.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the BB10 devices out right now. Because of Android and iPhone we have it in our heads that a new one needs to hit the market every year in order to replace previous iterations of that phone. Here the thing: Nothing is broken on any of the BB10 phones. If the target audience for BlackBerry were the spec junkies like over in the Android camp, that'd be one thing. Yes, release a badass severely overpriced phone every year. But the Q10 isn't performing 'worse' because of it's age. Neither is the Z10. Nor the Z30, or Q5, etc. None of them have something wrong with them that merits replacing them in the line. In the case of the Q10, Q5, and Classic, they're communications tools first and foremost. Productivity tools. Not gaming rigs. The Z10 and Z30 can make a better argument for being gaming phones, but even then, they're not so vastly aged that they suck. That's just not the case, I don't care what argument anyone makes for the age of their hardware. This isn't 2000 where the next processor is infinitely better in real-world performance from the last. We're reaching the top of the current tech curve.
    Z10's battery is a pain, Z30 's screen resolution isn't quite satisfying for me...

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1151
    anon8656116 likes this.
    12-22-14 05:49 PM
    All the new BB10 handsets are built by a third party company so I don't think you should expect much for build quality and such.
    12-22-14 06:18 PM
    I am an all touch user but to put it into perspective. A brand new q10 costs 699 off contract at Rogers but a new Classic is only 499. This is not by accident I'm guessing.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 06:41 PM
    The Q10 users who like the form factor are not losers per say, but rather have the misfortune of liking a device that did not sell well for a variety of reasons. As it stands right now the closest upgrade path for Q10 users will be the Classic 2, but the Classic 2 will have the toolbelt just like the current Classic. The only suggestion I can give to Q10 users is to start hording Q10s because that I doubt that we will see a direct upgrade path for you that is specifically targeted to you like the Classic is for us toolbelt loving BBOS folk.
    12-22-14 06:45 PM
    How do you change the date from appearing in the middle of the screen? It ruins my cool wallpapers.

Posted via CB10
    10.3.1 will bring the Home screen. You will be able to view your beautiful wallpapers.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    12-22-14 06:46 PM
    I am an all touch user but to put it into perspective. A brand new q10 costs 699 off contract at Rogers but a new Classic is only 499. This is not by accident I'm guessing.

Posted via CB10
    Why don't you just buy the Q10 on Amazon? $200 with prime, and it's unlocked.

Amazon has the Classic for $449 as well, oos.
    mk2234 likes this.
    12-22-14 06:48 PM
    From what I see, the Classic will appeal to OS 7 users. They like how to navigate around with the trackpad. Hence the toolbelt. They will use it for email and bbm, not for media consumptions. You get the Classic, you'll have the classic specs. I know a couple of people transition from their Bold to Classic and they couldn't be happier. They are very well aware of the Passport, Z30, and Samsung Galaxy, and what not but the Classic is what they want.
    They know what their needs and so they know what to expect from it.

12-22-14 06:52 PM
    Very cool avatar picture.
    12-22-14 06:56 PM
    From what I see, the Classic will appeal to OS 7 users. They like how to navigate around with the trackpad. Hence the toolbelt. They will use it for email and bbm, not for media consumptions. You get the Classic, you'll have the classic specs. I know a couple of people transition from their Bold to Classic and they couldn't be happier. They are very well aware of the Passport, Z30, and Samsung Galaxy, and what not but the Classic is what they want.
    They know what their needs and so they know what to expect from it.

The reason the Bold users are happy is because they never used a Q10 and never got used to the gesture based OS, we Q10 users are due for an upgrade but have nowhere to go up from here, only back down to the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 06:56 PM
    The Q10 users who like the form factor are not losers per say, but rather have the misfortune of liking a device that did not sell well for a variety of reasons. As it stands right now the closest upgrade path for Q10 users will be the Classic 2, but the Classic 2 will have the toolbelt just like the current Classic. The only suggestion I can give to Q10 users is to start hording Q10s because that I doubt that we will see a direct upgrade path for you that is specifically targeted to you like the Classic is for us toolbelt loving BBOS folk.
    I hear you, but if liking the Q10 was a misfortune than I feel we are the losers because we bought into that phone.

Glad to see Blackberry cares more about their Bold users than the early adopters of the Q10..

I'm just venting lol

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 06:58 PM
    I hear you, but if liking the Q10 was a misfortune than I feel we are the losers because we bought into that phone.

Glad to see Blackberry cares more about their Bold users than the early adopters of the Q10..

I'm just venting lol

Posted via CB10
    It just more of us Curve and Bold users out there than Q10 users. For Blackberry to move forward it needs to get the BBOS users off of BBOS devices and onto BB10 devices. Surposing Blackberry is going to releasing a roadmap next year, so you can hold out hope that Blackberry has something in the works for the Q10 users out there that don't like the classic.
    12-22-14 07:38 PM
    What about the Passport II? Will probably be abit smaller no?

Posted via My Beast Q10
    12-22-14 08:02 PM
    Classic was developed to bring over legacy users not BB10 or other phone users. Get over it.

Posted via CB10
    BlackQtCoder and mk2234 like this.
    12-22-14 08:52 PM
    i dont understand how Q10 users are the losers in this regard.

you'd have to be technostupid to like going from the Q10 to the Classic. thats like going from the first iPhone back to a Nokia 3310 because you missed pressing keys to call. i mean thats common sense. i never thought of anybody who was ever going to do that. the Classic is Chen's attempt to wean the loyalists off of the BBOS7 devices because theyre gonna go bye bye permanently. as ridiculous as we consider these change-averse users are the reality is theres a great many of them that are in key positions of important institutions. its the only reason why a man the likes of Chen would even consider making a device that seems to be a step backwards.

come on Blackberrians, this is Chen, when did he ever make a move that seems to not have an advantage

as for my fellow Q10 users, the next upgrade is the Passport. now if you find that form factor to be too big and all the other bells and whistles not a good enough incentive to switch over, then stick with the Q10. its hardly old, and with each OS update it keeps performing bester and bester (no thats not a typo )
    12-22-14 10:34 PM
    I am not really sure if I can understand the frustration of some Q10 users or not.
    You summed it up nicely.

It's the same frustration Z10 owners have ... a form factor that's approaching 2 years old without a "newer version of the form factor" in the immediate future that's apparent.

In many respects, Chen has been filling in holes with the product line. There were resistance points to the Q10, so he's essentially released a reworked version of the device to be more appealing to legacy users (the Q10s original job). it's not designed for Q10 users. Just like the Z3 was supposed to be a do-over for emerging markets (low cost devices) to get people to move up from their old cheap curves. This was something Q5 was intended to do but didn't.

The one new device is the Passport which is intended to be completely different from anything else out there. But it's not a natural step for Z10 or Q10 users who love the form factors of those devices and want Passport specs.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 12-23-14 at 08:06 AM.
    mk2234 and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    12-22-14 10:46 PM
    In terms of Android Runtime performances on different BB 10 devices, my observation is different from yours. To me Z10 is significantly slower than Z30, and Z30 is clearly slower than Passport.
    Android runtime also has a very different result depending on the app used. On some, I hardly notice they are Android apps. On others, the experience is so miserable and laggy that I'm hating life. And sometimes it's in the strangest of places where you just wouldn't expect it!
    12-22-14 10:48 PM
    Hence my point that Q10 users have nowhere to go from here.
    Why? We can keep using the Q10, right? It hasn't even been out for 2 years yet. There are people who accumulate 3 or 4 smartphones a year, but unless you're that person, I don't agree that the situation is so bad.
    mk2234 and ponpiri like this.
    12-22-14 11:18 PM
    The specs on an iPhone are atrocious, that's a known fact. Despite that, sitting the highest end Android phone next to an iPhone proves that dissimilar specs can and do net similar real-world performance (I'm not talking about synthetic benchmarks that really don't measure real-world usability).
    Actually the specs on the iPhone are very good. Even last years model has a 64bit CPU. The iPhone 6 has the fastest benchmarks of any smartphone on the market currently.

The amount of RAM is only 1GB though which is half of most Android phones. However, iOS apps don't need as much RAM because they don't use a garbage collector for memory management unlike the Java apps on the Android platform.

As an old time 9900 and older BB user I am happy to see the return of the tool belt. BB should have put beefier hardware in the device though, particularly if they are relying on Android apps to fill in the gaps in the BB app store.
    meltbox360 likes this.
    12-22-14 11:48 PM
    i dont understand how Q10 users are the losers in this regard.

you'd have to be technostupid to like going from the Q10 to the Classic. thats like going from the first iPhone back to a Nokia 3310 because you missed pressing keys to call. i mean thats common sense. i never thought of anybody who was ever going to do that. the Classic is Chen's attempt to wean the loyalists off of the BBOS7 devices because theyre gonna go bye bye permanently. as ridiculous as we consider these change-averse users are the reality is theres a great many of them that are in key positions of important institutions. its the only reason why a man the likes of Chen would even consider making a device that seems to be a step backwards.

come on Blackberrians, this is Chen, when did he ever make a move that seems to not have an advantage

as for my fellow Q10 users, the next upgrade is the Passport. now if you find that form factor to be too big and all the other bells and whistles not a good enough incentive to switch over, then stick with the Q10. its hardly old, and with each OS update it keeps performing bester and bester (no thats not a typo )
    Wow, I don't think I've read a more uninformed post in quite some time... Not really sure if serious or trying to be funny...
    Vintage123 and anon(4295315) like this.
    12-23-14 01:15 AM
    My favorite phone of all time is the 9000, I keep almost buying the classic, but what stops me is the specs. I'd love to have a full qwerty again, don't take too much issue with the screen size. My main usage is drilling out communications and media usage is last on my list. From my z30 though, it's not even a lateral move on specs, it's quite a step back. This phone is clearly not targeted at current adopters of bb10, which is a let down for me, but understandable. BlackBerry has a serious issue, they have to drop legacy product to move forward, and this is actually a REALLY good way of doing it. I would love to see this form factor (maybe just a wee bit bigger screen and bigger battery) that offers a more lateral or equal move from current generation. The passport is too much for me, spec wise it's great, but I feel like the qwerty is a bit of a *******, I want full key usage not a hybrid. Love the z30 but I want a high end bold form qwerty, and soon please.
    geodorn and anon(4295315) like this.
    12-23-14 01:26 AM
    The passport is too much for me, spec wise it's great, but I feel like the qwerty is a bit of a *******, I want full key usage not a hybrid.
    This, exactly. For me too, the three-row keyboard of the Passport is a compromise that I'm unwilling to make.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    Vintage123 likes this.
    12-23-14 01:42 AM
    Wow, I don't think I've read a more uninformed post in quite some time... Not really sure if serious or trying to be funny...
    im dead serious. what is it about my post that you beg ignorance on?
    mk2234 likes this.
    12-23-14 02:44 AM
    Actually the specs on the iPhone are very good. Even last years model has a 64bit CPU. The iPhone 6 has the fastest benchmarks of any smartphone on the market currently.

The amount of RAM is only 1GB though which is half of most Android phones. However, iOS apps don't need as much RAM because they don't use a garbage collector for memory management unlike the Java apps on the Android platform.

As an old time 9900 and older BB user I am happy to see the return of the tool belt. BB should have put beefier hardware in the device though, particularly if they are relying on Android apps to fill in the gaps in the BB app store.
    Finally someone who knows what they are talking about.

The iPhone specs are incredibly good. There's actually no phone that can really match it in performance. Sure it's lacking on RAM but boy is that thing snappy.

Another misconception I'd like to clear up. We are not at the top of the CPU curve so to speak. Each subsequent generation today is significantly higher performance with lower power consumption. Just look at some of the review Anandtech or Tom's Hardware have done.

This is why it's absurd that BlackBerry stuck with an old SoC. Only explanation is margins.

Posted via CB10
    bb1010 and ADGrant like this.
    12-23-14 03:05 AM
    The specs don't seem to bother those who have both the passport and the classic. I've been seeing reports from them that it doesn't seem much slower in their use, with several of the switching from the passport.
    As said before, it's clearly not produced with the Q10 users in mind unless you missed the belt, but to convince people like me to switch from the older platform. It worked.
    Not getting why it is bothering the Q10 owners so much, but whatever...
    mk2234 and Vintage123 like this.
    12-23-14 04:02 AM
174 12345 ...