Yeah but what is the most important thing for a communication tool? Right text so selecting, typing and key shortcuts become are becoming priority number 1. anyone you think Samsung has worked so hard to let the same own act like a mouse? Because even on android text selection sucked.

I dint disagree with your second part that swiping and pressing take longer that's why I would prefer a trackpad on all of my devices.

Well I only used the toy term because us legacy users are often portrait in a very stupid way. I know very well that rock devices can be used for work too but in terms of simply getting the job done nothing beats a bold with short cut me and my hotkeys (4 functions for each button and can even do macros
    Yes. I totally agree that your phone first and foremost is a communication tool. It's sad when some iphone and Android people look at your BlackBerry and start making fun of it. In reality, there's barley anything they can do that a classic can't. And for the most part, the tasks that they share, blackberry beats them by a mile. Actually if app makers would support blackberry in the same way they supported android, I would argue that BB10 would beat out android and ios.

That being said, the classic excels because it has all 3 control options. Touchscreen, trackpad, keyboard. Touchscreen for speed, trackpad for accuracy, and keyboard for feedback. They all compliment each other. It's not a competition on which is better.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 12:38 AM
    Amen. Us Q10ers will have to wait until MWC in March to even HEAR about a possible follow-up device -- meaning a May/June release at earliest.

#JonesingForMyCrackBerry

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 01:16 AM
    I can't share your opinion! I had a Q10 and really wanted a bigger, non-amoled screen, a back and menu key and a bigger battery. For me it's the perfect upgrade and I don't regret getting the Classic.

How often did I want arrow keys or a trackpad when selecting text or to correct a typo.

Posted via CB10
    mslifkin and KRZR101 like this.
    12-22-14 01:33 AM

Passport specs and no toolbelt on this device with nearly 4 inch screen would be a burner.

Posted via CB10
    Honestly no joking here, if BlackBerry made a "Q30" which had a 3.8" 1080 x 1080 screen, with 2GB RAM, 16GB storage and a nice 3,000mAh battery with NO TOOL - BELT I would purchase 2. Would be such a nice device

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3442
    12-22-14 01:47 AM
    I can't share your opinion! I had a Q10 and really wanted a bigger, non-amoled screen, a back and menu key and a bigger battery. For me it's the perfect upgrade and I don't regret getting the Classic.

How often did I want arrow keys or a trackpad when selecting text or to correct a typo.

Posted via CB10
    Glad to hear it the trackpad works well for text selection, that is my #1 pet peeve of the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 01:55 AM
    I am not really sure if I can understand the frustration of some Q10 users or not. For once, the Classic has been more or less marketed towards existing legacy device users, Bold, Curve and Torch from the very beginning onward. BlackBerry obviously never really cared this device would be an option for existing BB10 users. Then there are people like myself, who got a Q10 once it has been released, but who would've liked the convenience of a trackpad back. Personally I never had any performance issues with the Q, text selection and maybe even a slightly larger, non-AMOLED screen. Which would be the Classic. Whether this is worth an upgrade or not, is something everybody has to decide on their own.

On the other side, the Q10 is now one and a half year old, people who got it on contract will be able to upgrade to a new phone within the next few months and there is nothing "new" on the horizon. The Passport ist too large for many folks, the Classic doesn't really feel like an upgrade, since it uses the same specs.
    However what should full-touch BlackBerry fans say? The Z10 is now almost really two full years old, they are in for an upgrade early next year. They have nothing to select. The Passport? Again a phone too large for some folks. The Z30? Again a phone with specs that really aren't state of the art in early 2015.

Posted via CB10
    kitmo likes this.
    12-22-14 03:23 AM
    Why are people so obsessed about specs? This is why Apple doesn't release the iPhone specs. Does the phone feel sluggish to you? If not, then stop whining please. It's ridiculous.

My Z30 is "ancient" by technology spec standards and yet it never skips a beat. Putting mid-range specs into these phones allows them to make money on margins (you know, the money they so desperately need right now?). Contrary to popular belief, if they only released top-spec phones, they would lose tons of money as businesses would never pay that much for massive bulk orders, and the phone users would gain very little from it.
    12-22-14 08:28 AM
    I upgraded from my Q10 to the Passport a month ago and loved it but it was just too big for me, I missed the Q10 form factor and keyboard. Naturally as soon as the Classic was released I bought it and although I loved it the fist day and I really wanted to continue to love it, it all went downhill from there.

I can't imagine anyone coming from a Q10 who would like this phone, the trackpad is useless to me on the gesture based OS, everything is so much slower with the toolbelt. It's so much easier and faster to just use gestures. After using BB10 for almost two years this phone is a MAJOR step backward for me.

Some say specs don't matter, but seriously?? A new phone with two year old specs? Of course it matters. This phone is slow as molasses in opening Android apps and even when I open my native Pictures app for example I literally have to stare at a blank screen for about 8-10 seconds until the photos start showing up. Inexcusable. My Passport does NOT have this issue.

Basically, I can only see people who upgraded from their 9900 being maybe happy with this.

So where does that leave us Q10 users? Passport is too big for me as a phone, I am not into the whole phablet thing and the Classic is a downgrade in terms of the toolbelt is not needed and the specs suck. I guess back to the huge Passport it is. I thought I would love the classic but I'd rather put up with the Passport's size issue then all the Classic's shortcomings..

Uch.
    Perfectly said!

Posted via My Beast Q10
    Xenolock likes this.
    12-22-14 08:36 AM
    On the other side, the Q10 is now one and a half year old, people who got it on contract will be able to upgrade to a new phone within the next few months and there is nothing "new" on the horizon. The Passport ist too large for many folks, the Classic doesn't really feel like an upgrade, since it uses the same specs.

Posted via CB10
    This was basically my point.
    12-22-14 09:01 AM
    I'm confused by all the spec talk phantomtech. Android apps open on my Z10 and Q10 just fine, and in comparison to my HTC One M8, there's really no difference. I'm not sure why you feel they don't open quickly unless it's isolated to your device or a couple devices. PLENTY of folks report very lagless startup of Android apps.

The specs on an iPhone are atrocious, that's a known fact. Despite that, sitting the highest end Android phone next to an iPhone proves that dissimilar specs can and do net similar real-world performance (I'm not talking about synthetic benchmarks that really don't measure real-world usability).

I don't care if the processor is from a Google G1, if the software is optimized for it, it'll fly. People wanting a gaming phone won't pick up the Classic OR the Q10. They'd pick up a Z30 or a Z10. If they want a communications platform, THAT is what the Q10 and Classic are for. The Passport is kind of a mash up of both.

Last time I checked, communicating and collaborating doesn't require a quad-core with 3GB of RAM in a phone.
    12-22-14 09:28 AM
    Well I want a good communications device and thats why I stuck with Blackberry but unfortunately that means I have to sideload my banking apps. Wells Fargo app takes about 10 seconds for initial load and then each screen to navigate takes also quite a few seconds which is an awfully long time to quickly check a balance or what not.

I don't have that isssue on my Passport so obviously specs DO matter.

Neither is it an issue on my wifes iPhone so if you are correct that Apple specs are bad then at least their OS is fine with it. The Classic, not so much.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 09:59 AM
    some peoples, when they created the Z 10 was the specs up to date at that time..... because of the QNX software the phone does not really need the latest specs to work. in the old days waiting to long for something to load up was a pain...I've always thought that a phone should have been like a big computer> being instant that you don't see it. well since the Z10 I was very satisfied with it's power....which was way much better than the first touch screen that they created>storm<...that one was a real pain for me..
    I will received the classic today. I am sure it will work just fine for me.
    mk2234 likes this.
    12-22-14 10:10 AM
    you don't need to side your banking app...you can use the browser to create an app alike...that is what I did with my Z30...although my banking app exist, I don't like it
    12-22-14 10:14 AM
    When I get the Classic, I will use the trackpad to AUGMENT the gestures, not replace everything. I'll use it for text selection, copy/paste. I'll use the send/end keys for calls. I'll still rely on the touchscreen for just about everything else.

Anyone going from Q10 to Classic expecting to forget about the touch screen and gestures is going to be disappointed. Set proper expectations...
    12-22-14 10:19 AM
    you don't need to side your banking app...you can use the browser to create an app alike...that is what I did with my Z30...although my banking app exist, I don't like it
    Can't deposit checks via the browser and I use that feature a lot.
    12-22-14 10:41 AM
    Some folks say to just use the gestures and ignore the trackpad for most uses, well I don't know if I am the only one with this issue but when I scroll through the hub I sometimes have to tap twice to open the email, the first tap just highlights the email and only the second tap opens it. The Q10 just needed one tap, it is just so much quicker that way

This Classic was obviously built for use with the trackpad in mind when in fact the BB10 os is clearly designed for gestures. So I can ignore the trackpad but gestures are less efficient on the Classic than on any other BB10 device.

My Q10 is going to soon be 2 years old, it isn't the fastest, the camera is not great and the screen is pretty small so I still don't know where I will go when I am due for an upgrade. I don't think all Q10 users will love the Passport's huge form as awesome as the phone is, we still need something that fits into our hand.

So, if the Q10 is outdated (for me and plenty of us), the Passport is too big and the Classic is only geared towards legacy users, where does that leave the faithful Q10 users??
    anon8656116 and bb1010 like this.
    12-22-14 10:46 AM
    As a general note, guys, the Android apps run on an emulator / virtual machine like setup. Although obviously some emulation performance is derived from hardware, I haven't seen any differences in running Android apps between my Q10 and Z10, wifey's Q5, and my brother's Passport.

A BB10 developer might have more insight into how much hardware factors in to Android emulation, but I'm pretty confident that even if you suped-up a BlackBerry device with a deca-core 128-bit processor and a terabyte of RAM (heh) you'd probably have the same performance as current BlackBerry specs.

Native apps, on the other hand -- most definitely a different story. Specifically high-detail 3D games, I'd say, which would need a decent GPU, respectable RAM, and a reasonable CPU.
    12-22-14 11:09 AM
    No its not faster or easier to use gestures. A phone is a communication tool and not a toy.

I don't think the specs are that bad yeah, they aren't great but neither are those of the q10, the PP had great discs but lacks the toolbelt and removable battery.

So like someone said wait for version two of both phones
    the specs are similar...the Classic is overpriced, if it wasn't I might consider over my Bold
    12-22-14 11:09 AM
    Your problem is that you upgraded from Q10 to Passport and then downgraded from Passport to Classic.

If you went directly from Q10 to Classic, you wouldn't realize worse performance, maybe same as Q10, but not worse, like slower device.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 11:11 AM
    Why are people so obsessed about specs? This is why Apple doesn't release the iPhone specs. Does the phone feel sluggish to you? If not, then stop whining please. It's ridiculous.

My Z30 is "ancient" by technology spec standards and yet it never skips a beat. Putting mid-range specs into these phones allows them to make money on margins (you know, the money they so desperately need right now?). Contrary to popular belief, if they only released top-spec phones, they would lose tons of money as businesses would never pay that much for massive bulk orders, and the phone users would gain very little from it.
    When you buy technology you have to mitigate performance degradation as OS updates and new application require more and more resources. If you buy a phone with the latest internals you foolproof yourself, but if you buy a phone with outdated internals you will suffer going forward (take computers as an example)
    anon8656116 likes this.
    12-22-14 11:16 AM
    Can't deposit checks via the browser and I use that feature a lot.
    right,,,I don't use that feature
    12-22-14 11:23 AM
    As a general note, guys, the Android apps run on an emulator / virtual machine like setup. Although obviously some emulation performance is derived from hardware, I haven't seen any differences in running Android apps between my Q10 and Z10, wifey's Q5, and my brother's Passport.

A BB10 developer might have more insight into how much hardware factors in to Android emulation, but I'm pretty confident that even if you suped-up a BlackBerry device with a deca-core 128-bit processor and a terabyte of RAM (heh) you'd probably have the same performance as current BlackBerry specs.

Native apps, on the other hand -- most definitely a different story. Specifically high-detail 3D games, I'd say, which would need a decent GPU, respectable RAM, and a reasonable CPU.
    As a side note as well, all Android devices run their apps in a sandbox emulator. That's how you can get away with the same apk working across multiple platforms. We use to call it Dalvik, now we call it ART (Android Runtime). That's specifically why Android to date has needed more oomph to do the same job as anything else, it's the least hardware-optimized OS on the market.

Just my $0.02
    Blacklatino, mk2234 and VeryBumpy like this.
    12-22-14 12:57 PM
    Now you guys understand why people keep asking "where is my Z50?" question. We all loved one device (for some Z10, for some Q10, and for some Z30) and wish BlackBerry keeps investing resource on that device line, when BlackBerry invests on something else you feel the gen 2 you long for is taken away.

Do you think BlackBerry is again getting too fragmented?
    That's precisely the gist of the OP. If you are happy with the Q10 but looking for an upgrade, you'd probably not find one. The Passport is too distinctive and the Classic isn't that much of an upgrade, especially for that price. Z10 users will run into the same problem if they don't like the Z30 (which was released in 2013 as well). It seems that both the Q10 and Z10 have nowhere to go in the very near future, despite being pretty old devices in tech-terms.
    12-22-14 01:14 PM
    That's precisely the gist of the OP. If you are happy with the Q10 but looking for an upgrade, you'd probably not find one. The Passport is too distinctive and the Classic isn't that much of an upgrade, especially for that price. Z10 users will run into the same problem if they don't like the Z30 (which was released in 2013 as well). It seems that both the Q10 and Z10 have nowhere to go in the very near future, despite being pretty old devices in tech-terms.
    Exactly.

I still feel that the Z10 users got their upgrade via the Z30, it is still pretty close in form factor with much better specs. The Passport is just too big for Q10 lovers.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 01:21 PM
    I can't exactly agree with that though.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the BB10 devices out right now. Because of Android and iPhone we have it in our heads that a new one needs to hit the market every year in order to replace previous iterations of that phone. Here the thing: Nothing is broken on any of the BB10 phones. If the target audience for BlackBerry were the spec junkies like over in the Android camp, that'd be one thing. Yes, release a badass severely overpriced phone every year. But the Q10 isn't performing 'worse' because of it's age. Neither is the Z10. Nor the Z30, or Q5, etc. None of them have something wrong with them that merits replacing them in the line. In the case of the Q10, Q5, and Classic, they're communications tools first and foremost. Productivity tools. Not gaming rigs. The Z10 and Z30 can make a better argument for being gaming phones, but even then, they're not so vastly aged that they suck. That's just not the case, I don't care what argument anyone makes for the age of their hardware. This isn't 2000 where the next processor is infinitely better in real-world performance from the last. We're reaching the top of the current tech curve.
    12-22-14 01:34 PM
174 1234 ...