I ordered the BlackBerry Classic and it is supposed to be here in a day or so. I am currently using the Q10 and I love it. I really wanted to give the track pad a try, but I am worried that after using BB 10 so long with just the touch screen, the track pad may damper the BB 10 experience.

Did anyone buy the Classic just to return to using the Q10 or am I really going to like this new Classic?

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 12:12 PM
    I am an avid Q10 user since the day it got released. Two and a half months ago I decided to give the Passport a try and bought it. Yesterday I made the switch back to the Classic, mostly because I wanted to get the traditional 4-row keyboard back.

What should I tell you? I am totally satisfied with the Classic, much more than I thought. For me, it is even totally worth it to switch from the Q10, even though it doesn't seem to do much sense considering the price. Here is why:

That additional 0.4" in terms of screen size makes quite a difference. Sure, the resolution is the same, but working is more enjoyable now. Don't let that lower ppi fool you, the screen is still pretty sharp.
    In addition they switched that SuperAMOLED screen for a LCD screen. The new screen is *much* brighter but also dims quite a bit darker, the latter was one of my complains using the Q10 in the dark. The Classic is easier on the eyes now.

The new keyboard is brilliant. The keys are slightly wider compared to the Q's keys, but you'll notice that additional space. The new tactile feedback is quite amazing for such a device, clicky, yet not to stiff. Typing on this thing is great, just great. BlackBerry got everything right there. I just hope they really dealt with the dreaded double-typing on the long run!

The trackpad is a nice addition, especially for text editing and inside the browser: You get that little mouse cursor to navigate around the websites, which is pretty useful for me.
    Besides that, and that is the good thing about both trackpad and toolbelt: I just use the Classic the same way as I used my Q10, with gestures. At least most of the time, I have to say the belt and pad really becomes useful when using the device with a single hand only. Taking advantage of these features is completely optional.

In terms of size the Classic is larger, but it is not too large for my tastes. Of course others will have different opinions when it comes to this very individual matter.

Again, making the switch is rather expensive and you need to have pretty special interests to justify it. Yet for me, I am glad I did it. The Q10 is a nice device, always was and always will be, yet the few little things I had with it got heavily improved with the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 12:30 PM
    Glad you like it

From Classic
    01-11-15 04:22 PM
    You will love the classic. I think BlackBerry should have never gotten rid of the toolbelt.

Using the classic will feel a little weird for the first few days because you'll forget about the toolbelt and size different. But once you get back use to the toolbelt you'll wonder why BlackBerry got rid of it in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    jas1978 likes this.
    01-11-15 04:29 PM
  5. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I am an avid Q10 user since the day it got released. Two and a half months ago I decided to give the Passport a try and bought it. Yesterday I made the switch back to the Classic, mostly because I wanted to get the traditional 4-row keyboard back.

What should I tell you? I am totally satisfied with the Classic, much more than I thought. For me, it is even totally worth it to switch from the Q10, even though it doesn't seem to do much sense considering the price. Here is why:

That additional 0.4" in terms of screen size makes quite a difference. Sure, the resolution is the same, but working is more enjoyable now. Don't let that lower ppi fool you, the screen is still pretty sharp.
    In addition they switched that SuperAMOLED screen for a LCD screen. The new screen is *much* brighter but also dims quite a bit darker, the latter was one of my complains using the Q10 in the dark. The Classic is easier on the eyes now.

The new keyboard is brilliant. The keys are slightly wider compared to the Q's keys, but you'll notice that additional space. The new tactile feedback is quite amazing for such a device, clicky, yet not to stiff. Typing on this thing is great, just great. BlackBerry got everything right there. I just hope they really dealt with the dreaded double-typing on the long run!

The trackpad is a nice addition, especially for text editing and inside the browser: You get that little mouse cursor to navigate around the websites, which is pretty useful for me.
    Besides that, and that is the good thing about both trackpad and toolbelt: I just use the Classic the same way as I used my Q10, with gestures. At least most of the time, I have to say the belt and pad really becomes useful when using the device with a single hand only. Taking advantage of these features is completely optional.

In terms of size the Classic is larger, but it is not too large for my tastes. Of course others will have different opinions when it comes to this very individual matter.

Again, making the switch is rather expensive and you need to have pretty special interests to justify it. Yet for me, I am glad I did it. The Q10 is a nice device, always was and always will be, yet the few little things I had with it got heavily improved with the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    This!!! Perfectly stated.... Classic!

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 04:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    Agree with this. The Classic experience is nothing like the Q10 's. And I liked my Q10, but I love the Classic. Didn't want to spend more $ on another OS10 device (had the Z10 too) but the Classic is worth every penny.

Posted via Classic
    01-11-15 07:32 PM
    If you love your Q10 you will want to marry the Classic.

Posted via CB10 on the Presidenr Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    chrissycee75 and JesseBabe23 like this.
    01-11-15 10:48 PM
    I've had the Q10 before, Just got the classic last week.. gotta say the Classic (in my opinion) is a great upgrade regardless of same specs. Even all of my friends who are Iphone and Android users think it's a neat device

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 10:57 PM
    I really want the Classic (and I am in love with my Q10) ! Just waiting for the price to come down a little bit (college student on a budget)

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 06:54 PM
    I spent a few minutes playing around with the Classic at the store. It confirmed my initial impression that I don't want a phone that big.

It's a shame, because I like the trackpad and buttons, and I think OS 10 is finally getting back enough of the features lost in the transition from BB OS.

I guess the good thing for BlackBerry is that most people (unlike me) DO want a bigger device, and they've probably assessed the market niche quite well.
    andy957 likes this.
    01-17-15 10:39 AM
    I spent a few minutes playing around with the Classic at the store. It confirmed my initial impression that I don't want a phone that big.

It's a shame, because I like the trackpad and buttons, and I think OS 10 is finally getting back enough of the features lost in the transition from BB OS.

I guess the good thing for BlackBerry is that most people (unlike me) DO want a bigger device, and they've probably assessed the market niche quite well.
    Sure the Classic is larger than the Q, but for me it is about the maximum size before it gets uncomfortable.
    At least those software features you'll also get on your Q10 pretty soon, once the official OTA update hits the air.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 10:45 AM
    You will love and drool over the classic. The Q10 keyboard never felt like the keyboard which I had fallen in love with using the bold or the curve.
    Finally with the Classic we are back to where we left of. For me Q10 was a bad dream which has finally come to and end, thanks to the classic.

Posted via CB10
    RealGrouchy and JesseBabe23 like this.
    01-17-15 10:48 AM
    Sure the Classic is larger than the Q, but for me it is about the maximum size before it gets uncomfortable.
    I suspect you probably have big hands/long fingers, like I do. I can imagine someone with small hands finding it oversized....

I'd gladly sell them my Q10 at a discount

- RG>
    01-17-15 12:42 PM
    I have both, funny enough I don't use them but if I did the classic with the 3.5 inch to 3.1 inch screen of the Q10 you can't complain about that little extra screen size,but both devices are nice..

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 01:54 PM
    My Classic finally arrived a couple of days ago. Based on the initial impression, I must say, I now appreciate my Q10 more because of the following issues with the Classic:

1. The keyboard is actually much easier to type on, but there are gaps between the keys and also between the toolbelt and the screen which lets the light from behind through. It's very annoying looking at it at night, and makes the phone feel cheap.

2. Not Classic's fault, but the 10.3.1 on it is not as nice as 10.2.1 on my Q10. They have really messed up the Calendar app in 10.3.1. I think they have gone backwards with the UI in general.

3. I don't use the toolbelt much (prefer the gestures). So, it hasn't brought any advantages (not as much as I had hoped). The trackpad actually seems to be in the path of thumb swipe up, which is a little annoying.

4. The phone seems to be a little laggy in general compared to the Q10 (when moving within the apps and stuff).

5. Battery in the Classic is terrible so far, but I seem to have found the problem (it's Blend, see attached screen shot).

Anyway, so far not too impressed with the Classic. I guess the bigger/brighter screen is a plus, but not as much as I had hoped (compared to the Q10) . I actually now appreciate the Q10 more, since it has the best form factor. Will continue to use the Classic, maybe it grows on me!
    If I love my Q10 will I like the Classic?-img_20150119_221706.png
    dmlis likes this.
    01-20-15 06:33 AM
    Your battery life is so bad, it really is a problem which needs to be looked into. My Classic lasts a bit longer than my Q10 and of course doesn't stand a chance against the Passport when it comes to battery.

I've yet to use Blend, but with 73% of battery usage, there is a pretty big problem with Blend.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 06:36 AM
    I suspect you probably have big hands/long fingers, like I do. I can imagine someone with small hands finding it oversized....

I'd gladly sell them my Q10 at a discount

- RG>
    Yes, I have small hands and one handed on the Classic can be a bit hard compared to my Q10. But it is worth it. The screen quality with LCD, better keyboard, battery life and just gorgeous looks are all worth the trade off.

Posted via Classic
    01-20-15 06:57 AM