Go ahead and do a search for "android virus through text". Now what were you saying about having to intentionally open myself?

BBClassic10.3.2.858
    From the very brief searching I did, I came up with two viruses (or actually WORMS, because they aren't viruses), One is affected through SMS, which you HAVE to CLICK A LINK THAT IS SENT TO YOU THROUGH SMS. Once you click that link, you will be asked to install something, which is the worm. The second worm disguises itself as a security certificate, which you AGAIN, HAVE TO CLICK TO INSTALL IT.

No, you cannot get a virus, worm, or other infection by using Android normally. If you click malicious links, or do not pay attention to what you are installing, you will probably end up with one. If my 60 year-old mother can operate her Android phone for over two years without being infected, I think the majority of uses can as well. It is the select few who visit malicious websites or download things without paying attention.

If you can link me to a virus or a worm that infects an Android device WITHOUT opening or clicking a link, I will revisit this. However, by simply using Android, you are not "installing viruses" on your phone.
    08-26-15 08:41 PM
    From the very brief searching I did, I came up with two viruses (or actually WORMS, because they aren't viruses), One is affected through SMS, which you HAVE to CLICK A LINK THAT IS SENT TO YOU THROUGH SMS. Once you click that link, you will be asked to install something, which is the worm. The second worm disguises itself as a security certificate, which you AGAIN, HAVE TO CLICK TO INSTALL IT.

No, you cannot get a virus, worm, or other infection by using Android normally. If you click malicious links, or do not pay attention to what you are installing, you will probably end up with one. If my 60 year-old mother can operate her Android phone for over two years without being infected, I think the majority of uses can as well. It is the select few who visit malicious websites or download things without paying attention.

If you can link me to a virus or a worm that infects an Android device WITHOUT opening or clicking a link, I will revisit this. However, by simply using Android, you are not "installing viruses" on your phone.
    Nope, if you have google hangouts, there is a way to send malware that REQUIRES NO CLICKING to infect your phone. That's because google hangouts processes received videos in the background automatically once it is received. So they have them to where they disguise themselves as videos, the moment it's received, your phone starts processing it without telling you, and now your phone is infected. They have yet to fix it.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    08-26-15 09:08 PM

http://9to5google.com/2015/07/27/wor...-malware-ever/

08-26-15 09:11 PM
    Go ahead and do a search for "android virus through text". Now what were you saying about having to intentionally open myself?

BBClassic10.3.2.858
    He probably "googled" it and wouldn't find it that way. Wonder why... I love when people think they are actually in control of their opinions and how the internet is uncensored information, haha.

08-26-15 09:15 PM
    For the uneducated and ignorant, this is called the "Stagefright" 'virus'. I was well aware of that. I'm pretty sure if BlackBerry provides Android on their devices, they wouldn't use pre Android 4.0. Again, for those unfamiliar with the situation, Android 4.0 provides an overflow protection, so you will not be affected by the 'virus'. It's still possible, but extremely unlikely. Also, there has been ZERO people affected with this 'virus', because it isn't one. It's an exploit, that will be patched with every version of Android going forward.

He probably "googled" it and wouldn't find it that way. Wonder why... I love when people think they are actually in control of their opinions and how the internet is uncensored information, haha.

I didn't know I wasn't in control of my own opinions. Who controls me then?

Also, if you, or anyone, thinks that BlackBerry 10 doesn't have exploits such as this, you are completely ignorant or just oblivious. No one who develops malicious software is going to target a market share with less than 10%. It yields nothing for them, and I am pretty sure BlackBerry has a whole lot less than 10% market share of mobile phones.
    08-26-15 10:13 PM
    If Blackberry sends out Android for Classic would you try?-img_20150826_203710.png

Oh. Look. android on a classic. Why are we still talking about this?

Posted via CB10
    08-26-15 10:39 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150826_203710.png 
Views:	492 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	368505

Oh. Look. android on a classic. Why are we still talking about this?

Posted via CB10
    Oh the days... :-)
    08-26-15 10:50 PM
    For the uneducated and ignorant, this is called the "Stagefright" 'virus'. I was well aware of that. I'm pretty sure if BlackBerry provides Android on their devices, they wouldn't use pre Android 4.0. Again, for those unfamiliar with the situation, Android 4.0 provides an overflow protection, so you will not be affected by the 'virus'. It's still possible, but extremely unlikely. Also, there has been ZERO people affected with this 'virus', because it isn't one. It's an exploit, that will be patched with every version of Android going forward.

Also, if you, or anyone, thinks that BlackBerry 10 doesn't have exploits such as this, you are completely ignorant or just oblivious. No one who develops malicious software is going to target a market share with less than 10%. It yields nothing for them, and I am pretty sure BlackBerry has a whole lot less than 10% market share of mobile phones.
    LOL, I love how in your mind, you feel that as long as you speak condescendingly, that must convey that you are more intelligent and know better. Why the obsession with the word virus? I don't think I ever called it a virus, since a virus is simply something that replicates itself. This is malware that can grant someone control over your phone... Think all of that is pretty clear...

But hey, whatever, it's not a virus, so congrats. ;-)

https://blog.zimperium.com/experts-f...rt-of-android/

"These issues in Stagefright code critically expose 95% of Android devices, an estimated 950 million devices. - See more at: https://blog.zimperium.com/experts-found-a-unicorn-in-the-heart-of-android/#sthash.ClujWNCm.dpuf"

"Drake’s research, to be presented at Black Hat USA on August 5 and DEF CON 23 on August 7 found multiple remote code execution vulnerabilities that can be exploited using various methods, the worst of which requires no user-interaction. - See more at: https://blog.zimperium.com/experts-found-a-unicorn-in-the-heart-of-android/#sthash.ClujWNCm.dpuf"

"These screenshots were taken on a Nexus 5 (hammerhead) running the latest version, Android Lollipop 5.1.1. - See more at: https://blog.zimperium.com/experts-found-a-unicorn-in-the-heart-of-android/#sthash.ClujWNCm.dpuf"

Que? I thought it had to be prior to 4.0... Whatever... It's not a virus, let's stick to that one.
    08-26-15 11:07 PM

Do you really think Android is all that when it's prone to viruses and malware, because at its core it is completely unsecured. It's just like Windows, in that it was built to be infected. You can't sit here and say BB10 is just as susceptible to infection as Android, but nobody has bothered to make an attack against it and that's why it hasn't been exploited. That's like saying Linux is vulnerable, but not enough people use it, so there's no viruses for it.

If there's one thing I really hate about this android rumor is it has all the Google worshipers on CB preaching the Google gospel.

BBClassic10.3.2.858
    08-26-15 11:13 PM
    NO!!

If Blackberry sends out Android for Classic would you try?-no-.jpg

Posted via my awesome Classic
    08-26-15 11:39 PM
    LOL, I love how in your mind, you feel that as long as you speak condescendingly, that must convey that you are more intelligent and know better. Why the obsession with the word virus? I don't think I ever called it a virus, since a virus is simply something that replicates itself. This is malware that can grant someone control over your phone... Think all of that is pretty clear...

But hey, whatever, it's not a virus, so congrats. ;-)

https://blog.zimperium.com/experts-f...rt-of-android/

"These issues in Stagefright code critically expose 95% of Android devices, an estimated 950 million devices. - See more at: https://blog.zimperium.com/experts-found-a-unicorn-in-the-heart-of-android/#sthash.ClujWNCm.dpuf"

"Drake’s research, to be presented at Black Hat USA on August 5 and DEF CON 23 on August 7 found multiple remote code execution vulnerabilities that can be exploited using various methods, the worst of which requires no user-interaction. - See more at: https://blog.zimperium.com/experts-found-a-unicorn-in-the-heart-of-android/#sthash.ClujWNCm.dpuf"

"These screenshots were taken on a Nexus 5 (hammerhead) running the latest version, Android Lollipop 5.1.1. - See more at: https://blog.zimperium.com/experts-found-a-unicorn-in-the-heart-of-android/#sthash.ClujWNCm.dpuf"

Que? I thought it had to be prior to 4.0... Whatever... It's not a virus, let's stick to that one.
    Most people call "these things" viruses. I never said you did, I put it in quotations because almost every article or person mentioning stagefright call it a virus. It's an exploit, not a virus.

You conveniently forgot to mention that there have been zero incidents with this exploit.

Do you really think Android is all that when it's prone to viruses and malware, because at its core it is completely unsecured. It's just like Windows, in that it was built to be infected. You can't sit here and say BB10 is just as susceptible to infection as Android, but nobody has bothered to make an attack against it and that's why it hasn't been exploited. That's like saying Linux is vulnerable, but not enough people use it, so there's no viruses for it.

If there's one thing I really hate about this android rumor is it has all the Google worshipers on CB preaching the Google gospel.

BBClassic10.3.2.858
    So you are telling me that for someone who develops malicious software, they should develop it for the 1%? That is EXACTLY why there are less malicious software on Mac versus Windows. Windows represents something like 80% of the market share, whereas Mac OS X is something like 11%. Banks, governments, most businesses, etc all run on Windows. It makes sense to target Windows users with malicious software over Mac OS X or Linux, does it not? That is basically the definition of common sense.

Why would someone target BlackBerry OS users? They have very little to gain from it. Since there is very little to gain from it, what is the point in trying to find exploits? Android and iOS have a much higher market share, thus targeting programmers to find exploits in their operating systems. Windows Mobile is in the same boat as BlackBerry OS, as in there is zero reason to target those particular operating systems.

Moral of the story is, if something accesses the Internet, it's only a matter of a single person putting in some effort to find an exploit.

P.S. - I don't own a single Google product, but thanks for insinuating that I am a "Google worshipper".

P.S.S.S. - Those numbers are STRICTLY estimates and have zero reference to the truth.

Edit: Holy cow, just looked up the market share for desktop. Looks like it's 90% for Windows and 9% for Mac OS X, rounding down. Also, Android is roughly at 50%, iOS is at 40%, Windows Mobile is at 2.5% and BlackBerry is at 1.16%.
    08-27-15 12:02 AM
    Nah. Snap provides me the extra apps if I need them and os10 works so lovely. I really do not need a different os

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 06:58 AM
    No

BBOS 10 + pkb = Good combination.
    Android + pkb = Failure always, until now.

Several manufacturers tried the second formula before and nobody wanted them. Android OS was made to touch, not to type.

Blackberry pkb is good but this does not compensate enough in an Android device VS Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Oneplus, several others.

Posted via CB10
    So the Droid 1 was a fail?? The Droid 1 was the phone that made Android popular. Other phones failed because manufacturer didn't get it that a keyboard phone has to have high end specs too.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 07:35 AM
    I absolutely want a Classic Android Edition but only if it has better specs than the current Classic. But I don't think that's gonna happen so I will definitely buy the Slider if it's running Android.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 07:37 AM
    No

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 07:49 AM
    Most people call "these things" viruses. I never said you did, I put it in quotations because almost every article or person mentioning stagefright call it a virus. It's an exploit, not a virus.

You conveniently forgot to mention that there have been zero incidents with this exploit.

So you are telling me that for someone who develops malicious software, they should develop it for the 1%? That is EXACTLY why there are less malicious software on Mac versus Windows. Windows represents something like 80% of the market share, whereas Mac OS X is something like 11%. Banks, governments, most businesses, etc all run on Windows. It makes sense to target Windows users with malicious software over Mac OS X or Linux, does it not? That is basically the definition of common sense.

Why would someone target BlackBerry OS users? They have very little to gain from it. Since there is very little to gain from it, what is the point in trying to find exploits? Android and iOS have a much higher market share, thus targeting programmers to find exploits in their operating systems. Windows Mobile is in the same boat as BlackBerry OS, as in there is zero reason to target those particular operating systems.

Moral of the story is, if something accesses the Internet, it's only a matter of a single person putting in some effort to find an exploit.

P.S. - I don't own a single Google product, but thanks for insinuating that I am a "Google worshipper".

P.S.S.S. - Those numbers are STRICTLY estimates and have zero reference to the truth.

Edit: Holy cow, just looked up the market share for desktop. Looks like it's 90% for Windows and 9% for Mac OS X, rounding down. Also, Android is roughly at 50%, iOS is at 40%, Windows Mobile is at 2.5% and BlackBerry is at 1.16%.
    BBOS in its prime didn't have any viruses or malware, the only two I could find didn't come out till 2011. People hack smart TV's, smart refrigerators, basically anything they can, because that's what hacking at its core is, finding exploits in things. The fact is it doesn't matter how popular something is, it matters how difficult it is to hack. Android being easy to hack at its core is why it has so many exploits, same as windows. IOS is just as popular and doesn't have a fraction of the exploits Android does.

BBClassic10.3.2.858
    08-27-15 11:31 AM
    BBOS in its prime didn't have any viruses or malware, the only two I could find didn't come out till 2011. People hack smart TV's, smart refrigerators, basically anything they can, because that's what hacking at its core is, finding exploits in things. The fact is it doesn't matter how popular something is, it matters how difficult it is to hack. Android being easy to hack at its core is why it has so many exploits, same as windows. IOS is just as popular and doesn't have a fraction of the exploits Android does.

BBClassic10.3.2.858
    The fraction of the exploits come with the same manufacture working with hardware and software, similar to BlackBerry. However, if BlackBerry hypothetically had 40% market share, there would be a whole lot more exploits being found. Yes, I am sure BlackBerry OS 10 is hard to exploit, but that doesn't mean there aren't exploits that can cripple a BlackBerry. It being a little harder to exploit, low market share, and no gains leave no reason to put in effort to develop malicious software.

There were a few crippling exploits in iOS, and there has been one major one in BBOS10 when it first came out (quickly patched). The advantage of having the same manufacture work with software and hardware comes with its advantages. However, the reality is BlackBerry can't rely on a failing mobile department. I hope BlackBerry continues BBOS development, but I also hope they offer Android variants, or at least a way to 'upgrade' to Android.

Of course I want BBOS to succeed, the more competition the better, however at this point in time, it's basically failing. I love BBOS, and when I went back to my other phone I was swiping around using the same gestures for about a week...obviously with no avail.

Long story short, BlackBerry offering Android phones will help BlackBerry. BlackBerry fans need to accept this and move on. Companies never side with the minority, and will side with the majority every time. Embrace Android, but keep supporting BBOS.
    08-27-15 12:22 PM
    The fraction of the exploits come with the same manufacture working with hardware and software, similar to BlackBerry. However, if BlackBerry hypothetically had 40% market share, there would be a whole lot more exploits being found. Yes, I am sure BlackBerry OS 10 is hard to exploit, but that doesn't mean there aren't exploits that can cripple a BlackBerry. It being a little harder to exploit, low market share, and no gains leave no reason to put in effort to develop malicious software.
    You didn't read a single word I wrote as I already stated in its prime, when BBOS was the majority, it didn't have viruses and malware. So this whole theory that BB10 or IOS or Linux, or even BBOS today, is just as vulnerable as Android, but it doesn't have enough users so nobody bothers is BS! As I also stated that people hack smart refrigerators, how many ppl own a freaking smart refrigerator???

BBClassic10.3.2.858
    08-27-15 12:35 PM
    You didn't read a single word I wrote as I already stated in its prime, when BBOS was the majority, it didn't have viruses and malware. So this whole theory that BB10 or IOS or Linux, or even BBOS today, is just as vulnerable as Android, but it doesn't have enough users so nobody bothers is BS! As I also stated that people hack smart refrigerators, how many ppl own a freaking smart refrigerator???

BBClassic10.3.2.858
    I wasn't referring to your post when I was saying BB10 had/has exploits. When BlackBerry was in its prime, I'm sure there were more than a few security exploits, but with the lack of third party applications, etc, it wasn't easy to hack. It was also a very water-downed operating system, and "exploiting a mobile handset" was still pretty new.

People exploit smart refrigerators because a child can do it, and it's a fun project to do to show off. They usually are exploited to do fun things on them, like play Doom, but not for malicious intent.

Again, BlackBerry OS is just as susceptible to exploits as Android is, however there is not much direct benefit from doing so. When someone can exploit hundreds of thousands of devices with a simple exploit (older Android phones), they would much rather do that then work hard trying to find an exploit to exploit a few hundred devices at a time.

It's common sense, but you can keep arguing over nothing. I won't be posting back in this forum and I will stick to helping people in Windows Central. Enjoy your BlackBerry devices guys, as I will enjoy mine.
    08-27-15 12:52 PM
    I wasn't referring to your post when I was saying BB10 had/has exploits. When BlackBerry was in its prime, I'm sure there were more than a few security exploits, but with the lack of third party applications, etc, it wasn't easy to hack. It was also a very water-downed operating system, and "exploiting a mobile handset" was still pretty new.

People exploit smart refrigerators because a child can do it, and it's a fun project to do to show off. They usually are exploited to do fun things on them, like play Doom, but not for malicious intent.

Again, BlackBerry OS is just as susceptible to exploits as Android is, however there is not much direct benefit from doing so. When someone can exploit hundreds of thousands of devices with a simple exploit (older Android phones), they would much rather do that then work hard trying to find an exploit to exploit a few hundred devices at a time.

It's common sense, but you can keep arguing over nothing. I won't be posting back in this forum and I will stick to helping people in Windows Central. Enjoy your BlackBerry devices guys, as I will enjoy mine.
    You keep repeating yourself like it's going to make it fact and then run away. Sorry you didn't get your way.

BBClassic10.3.2.858
    08-27-15 12:59 PM

So congrats again that it isn't a virus.

And I didn't leave anything out. My response is simply to prove your statement wrong. You said that you cannot get infected while using your Android normally. Go ahead and go back to make sure that's what you said. This was a vulnerability a security company discovered. So nobody with ill intent discovered this vulnerability, yet. But that's irrelevant since what you said is that it cannot happen. This proves that it can happen.

You know a simple, "Oops, I guess I was wrong, it can happen but it hasn't yet and most likely this vulnerability would be patched before it is discovered by someone with intent on exploiting it." Would serve you well in many respects... It'll maintain the point that Android isn't as vulnerable as most people claim, and at the same time would show you're humble enough to actually admit you were wrong when you were. Probably will make everything you say from here on out hold more credibility since it shows you wouldn't blindly defend something even if the evidence stacks up against it.

And I agree with you that the number of malware against an OS mainly depends on the market share. It's been proven time and time again that Apple OS for the desktop computers are more vulnerable than Windows, but nobody will waste their time making malware for an OS barely any businesses use... They profit more from stealing data from Windows users.

Oh and just to be clear, no I am not one to say that BB isn't vulnerable to attack. I always believe that if your device is connected to a network, it can be hacked. I don't care what level encryption you have, how many firewalls you're behind, if someone wants to hack you enough, they will. So whenever I see a statement like yours how it cannot happen, and there's a recent and ongoing problem that proves it can, I will point it out...

08-27-15 01:47 PM
    I would try it. I love the build quality and keyboard of the Classic but I still prefer (stock) Android as an OS.
    08-27-15 02:13 PM
    I see no reason why the platform, if done properly, would not be worth trying out! I would love it.
    08-27-15 03:44 PM
    If they didn't let Verizon mess with it, sure. I'd rather run something like cyanogenmod which is community maintained, though, that way I could run MyVerizon without running Verizon's other garbage which appears to be designed to actively prevent one from managing his network data, they charge $15/G overage. The two worst things about a stock Android system from Verizon is the lack of a real keyboard and the fact that Verizon decides how your OS will work.
    08-28-15 07:55 PM
    I went to the Moto X 2nd gen and I like it. I t has the same 801 processor as the Passport, 425 ppi. But I loved my 9930, who know I might get a classic business. T500J
    08-28-15 10:29 PM
77 1234