Do you have questions regarding the repair process of the BlackBerry Classic? I just took apart and reassembled 3 different Classics (2 non-working and my daily driver) and have learned a ton about the insides of the phone. I'm working on a video showing the process of disassembling the Classic and where to put in replacement parts, don't get your hopes up too high on the quality of the video though lol. I wish more resources were out there on the phone while I was taking mine apart.

While the Classic is a easy phone to break for inexperience people, this was my first time disassembing a phone and my BlackBerry is still working afterwards.

I broke my volume buttons and notification LED in the process of learning about how the Classic is internally configured, but I repaired everything and swapped out my keyboard & trackpad (separately) in the end.

According to people online it's more difficult to repair than the Q10 or Passport, and I believe that. My friend loves repairing iPhones for people, and HATED opening up my Classic a few years ago when I needed a new screen. He eventually snapped a part off the main board of that one.

Still, with the experience I gained though the process I'd say it is not too bad to repair at all if you know where things are that can break. You don't need a heat gun to open it like newer phones, and it's mostly held together with screws and a little bit of glue.

I think people knowing how to repair BlackBerry Classics is critical to keeping them out in the wild, and can't wait to finish editing the video.
    WES51, bb9900user2018 and herbersh like this.
    02-28-20 06:03 PM
    Planning on replacing the battery, charging port, and maybe keyboard on my classic soon-ish(And eventually my Q5). What are some tools you'd recommend , or general tricks that help make the job easier? I'm great working with electronics, but mobile phones in general is a severe weak spot of my skills
    02-28-20 10:09 PM
    Do you have questions regarding the repair process of the BlackBerry Classic? I just took apart and reassembled 3 different Classics (2 non-working and my daily driver) and have learned a ton about the insides of the phone. I'm working on a video showing the process of disassembling the Classic and where to put in replacement parts, don't get your hopes up too high on the quality of the video though lol. I wish more resources were out there on the phone while I was taking mine apart.

While the Classic is a easy phone to break for inexperience people, this was my first time disassembing a phone and my BlackBerry is still working afterwards.

I broke my volume buttons and notification LED in the process of learning about how the Classic is internally configured, but I repaired everything and swapped out my keyboard & trackpad (separately) in the end.

According to people online it's more difficult to repair than the Q10 or Passport, and I believe that. My friend loves repairing iPhones for people, and HATED opening up my Classic a few years ago when I needed a new screen. He eventually snapped a part off the main board of that one.

Still, with the experience I gained though the process I'd say it is not too bad to repair at all if you know where things are that can break. You don't need a heat gun to open it like newer phones, and it's mostly held together with screws and a little bit of glue.

I think people knowing how to repair BlackBerry Classics is critical to keeping them out in the wild, and can't wait to finish editing the video.
    Looking forward to watching the video...
    And thanks for taking the time & effort..
    WES51 and johnb_xp like this.
    02-29-20 05:54 AM

Why are you so freaking awesome?!!!
    johnb_xp likes this.
    03-03-20 08:10 PM
    Planning on replacing the battery, charging port, and maybe keyboard on my classic soon-ish(And eventually my Q5). What are some tools you'd recommend , or general tricks that help make the job easier? I'm great working with electronics, but mobile phones in general is a severe weak spot of my skills
    You will need a SIM ejector tool or paperclip, small phillips head screwdriver, and T5 Torx screwdriver. I'd recommend a soft plastic spudger too but you need to be careful when moving the spudger around the inside of the phone to separate glued parts, the ribbon cables are on the edges and very fragile.

You may need a stronger (metal?) spudger to get the battery out, but usually you pull out the adhesive from under the battery by pulling on a big white tab. Try not to bend or puncture the battery - it can explode!

The battery replacement on the Classic is a much easier job than replacing a screen or keyboard, all you need to do is remove the back of the phone and the black plastic cover over the main board, all other connectors and things can stay in place.
    03-03-20 11:13 PM
    I can't wait to see the video! I've been wanting to replace my Q10's keyboard for a while now and I've been a big baby about it, even after watching videos.

Where did you buy your replacement parts, ebay or etradesupply.com, or...?

Posted with my Classic, SQC100-3/10.3.3.3204
    03-03-20 11:31 PM
    I can't wait to see the video! I've been wanting to replace my Q10's keyboard for a while now and I've been a big baby about it, even after watching videos.

Where did you buy your replacement parts, ebay or etradesupply.com, or...?

I have 2 non-working Classics I use for parts, got them on eBay. A new screen alone costs almost as much as a for-parts unit.
    03-04-20 08:26 AM
    ah ok - thanks!

03-04-20 09:04 PM

Video is done!
    03-05-20 01:35 AM
    Fantastic job! :applause:

Video is done!
    johnb_xp and brookie229 like this.
    03-05-20 06:23 PM
    Great video! But it makes me miss my 9900 even more. I could replace it's keyboard with much less effort in just a few minutes.
    johnb_xp likes this.
    03-05-20 08:03 PM
    Great video! But it makes me miss my 9900 even more. I could replace it's keyboard with much less effort in just a few minutes.
    Thank you! My Dad had a 9900, got me hooked on physical keyboards but he has an iPhone now. Still uses a holster.
    WES51 likes this.
    03-06-20 02:52 PM

Looking forward to that video!

Posted via CB10
    03-06-20 03:11 PM
    Looking forward to that video!

Posted via CB10
    Video is done : )

Ragbert likes this.
    03-06-20 03:16 PM