I don't regret it, but it's not that great of a phone or at least what I was expecting it to be. A lot of things that should be keyboard shortcuts aren't there like toggling Wi-Fi on & off, flashlight, copy/paste, and other things like that. I would rather have a buttoned trackpad (like the NOKIA E73 Mode) than a touch screen trackpad to be honest.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 01:59 PM
    This is what I find:

- The redesigned iOS is a disaster and they should have spent the time improving what they had
    - The Samsung Android GUI is confusing and one is moving all around the place
    - Jolla still needs work and the communications GUIs should be improved

The BB10 GUI is logical and efficient, but a full touch flagship (maybe with slider) with removable battery and excellent outdoors screen is needed.

The S5 does not last for a full day if you use it more or less intensively, at least if you don't remember to switch the whole time to ultra power saver mode, so while I briefly reconsidered a Z30 now that it is discounted, I will reject anything with built-in battery again, as usual.

And I am not impressed by the S5 screen in the sun. It is hard to tell what would be better.

The S5 camera features are great, but what is seriously needed is a real zoom like the Samsung camera/phone hybrids (and sturdy) or at least something like Pureview. Not keen on buying Android or Microsoft for this.

But the S5 waterproofing is great.
    04-09-15 02:44 PM
    BlackBerry is not for smartphone beginners. IPhone and androids are probably better for beginners. My mom is not tech savvy so iPhone is perfect.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 04:51 PM
    BlackBerry is not for smartphone beginners. IPhone and androids are probably better for beginners. My mom is not tech savvy so iPhone is perfect.

Posted via CB10
    The new iOS GUI is incredibly obscure to use. It is much easier to find any app's functions in BB10 in the usual places.
    04-09-15 04:56 PM
    People who are looking for apps as their main focus of using a device shouldn't be buying a BlackBerry. Let's be real.

Yeah, the argument can be made that BB10 supports Android apps but there's no official list of which ones. So it's at your own risk.

Personally, as long as I have texts, emails and BBM, I'm good. The only major differential is battery life/capacity.
    titussanders and chinmay007 like this.
    04-09-15 07:06 PM
    Well that's a good question.

The real answer is that I have a huge 10000 mah battery in a special case on my Note 3. It lasts for days.

Secondary is the S pen. It really is a great feature.

Posted via CB 10 on my Passport SQW100-1 sporting 10.3.1.2582
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-09-15 07:07 PM
    The new iOS GUI is incredibly obscure to use. It is much easier to find any app's functions in BB10 in the usual places.
    Like Windows, there are plenty of people around to help, even when things are a bit obscure. That's what iOS has going for it.

Too bad BlackBerry can't afford ads to show people how to interact with their devices, like Apple. I'm sure we'll be seeing a bunch of Apple Watch ads that show off user interactions, to educate the audience before they even step into the store, and thereby make the device "intuitive".
    04-09-15 07:21 PM
    Well that's a good question.

The real answer is that I have a huge 10000 mah battery in a special case on my Note 3. It lasts for days.

Secondary is the S pen. It really is a great feature.

ZeroLemon?
    04-09-15 07:54 PM
    It's funny. I was in the same boat. I carried a bold, then went to a z10 and a note 2. The note was used for browsing, the z10 for everything else.

Since I got the passport,I really don't know where the note 2 is right now. The passport does everything oh so well.

If I need to browse full screen, I take out my iPad Air.
    04-10-15 01:39 AM
    I don't feel as though I use many apps either (mostly web browsing, Gmail, corp email, some excel/word editing), but having the capability is nice when the mood strikes to use my phone for something outside my normal usage.

Posted via CB10
    I use BlackBerry devices when surfing the net, because they have desktop mode. A feature you won't find much in in-built to any devices these days. Office apps works better for me with BlackBerry with the help of track pad. Gmail in hub goes directly to my calendar when I receive a meeting invite which is always nice to have. Typing in android for me is a horror, unless it's a tablet or you are using english words.

Clickety-Clack via CB10
    04-10-15 02:00 AM
    I agree with you OP. I bought an Xperia Z3 Compact as a backup phone, yet found that I have a hard time going back to the Classic..

Sure, the keyboard is great, and so is the hub, but it misses out too much of everything else (apps, Google services, multimedia capabilities etc). I still swap back to my Classic every now and then, but recently it just sits in my drawer..

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-10-15 03:48 AM

Now I find myself carrying the note 2 everywhere due to its much more pleasurable experience doing anything other than sending a text or email. Yes I know, the Classic is built for communication, and I get that, ...................

Posted via CB10
    Enough said.
    04-10-15 03:59 AM
    If you gonna use 2 phones, go and get a Q10(smaller form factor) and the Note. The Classic is too big imo!
    Agreed. For those who don't mind a 2-phone combo, Q10 is a great choice as a daily driver communication tool, because of its form factor. Pair that with a Z30 or a Passport for web browsing and videos, and you got a real nice combo!
    04-10-15 04:44 AM
    Yes, a little too wide, enough so that I'll replace my 3+ year old BB9930 with another 9930. Also enjoy BB OS7 much better after an admittedly short BB10 Classic trial. May try upcoming Slide if narrow and usable with one hand!
    Last edited by JD_CB; 04-10-15 at 07:32 AM. Reason: grammar
    04-10-15 07:28 AM
    ZeroLemon?
    Yep. Unstoppable battery.

Unfortunately, the zerolemon skeleton and case are not unstoppable. I have to carefully piece together then hold the skeleton in place on rare occasions when I switch batteries. It is flimsy.

04-10-15 07:31 AM
    To each his own. I use my Classic for communication, occasional web surfing and Facebooking, and my Nexus 7 tablet for entertainment (Netflix, movies, games, etc). I'm not even a businessman or corporate executive but I email and text like crazy as I still need to get certain things done and the Classic more than handles that on a daily basis.
    I always feel if I am missing any of the "fun" experience I will get an Android tablet. Have had my Classic since January and that need has not occurred yet. And I do use lots of social media apps, heavy music user and have other apps that I use. Pretty happy with the balance that the Classic gives me.

Posted via Classic
    04-10-15 07:32 AM
    If I can interject... I have a thread somewhere here on switching from Android back to BlackBerry� after a long time away.

When if first got my Passport I was wowed by the simplicity of the interface and BB10 features that had been added since my short stint with a Q10. And I still am wowed. But in my zeal to get rid of my Note 3 I started trying to replicate the Android experience on my BlackBerry�. That really bogged down my phone and revealed disappointment in the app offerings and compatibility issues with some Android apps. My Note 3 has something like 250 apps on it. I have a lot of paid apps (mainly business related) and hundreds of free and free app of the day apps.

But then I paid close attention to the apps that I really use. It was an eye opener. I don't use many of those 257 apps. I use probably ten on a regular basis and maybe another five do things in the background. I put those ten plus five on my Passport and was, and am, very happy.

Occasionally I will add more apps to my BlackBerry� and, after a short time, realize that I don't use them and delete them.

For me, there is a tendency to screw with things. Sometimes I can't just leave a good thing alone. But in those moments of clarity when I focus on what I really use and pare things down to those, I always have a smile on my face as my BlackBerry� gets me through my heavy use days. One of the reasons I have kept the Note 3 activated is that it still has all of those useless apps on it. It updates them several times a day. It is always doing something. It lights up. It makes nearby speakers buzz. I know everyone is different and for some people their phone replaces a laptop or a tablet or a spare phone. But when your phone is a phone a messenger... a communicator... it is hard to beat the BlackBerry� platform.

04-10-15 07:46 AM
    Like Windows, there are plenty of people around to help, even when things are a bit obscure. That's what iOS has going for it.

Too bad BlackBerry can't afford ads to show people how to interact with their devices, like Apple. I'm sure we'll be seeing a bunch of Apple Watch ads that show off user interactions, to educate the audience before they even step into the store, and thereby make the device "intuitive".
    If you're out trying to operate the phone instead of browsing how to use it and you watch no ads, there's nobody to help at that moment.
    04-10-15 09:04 AM
    The X factor is that the Passport never pisses me off.
    Having owned devices running Android 1.6 through to Android 5, I have to say that this is the reason I am so very fond of my Passport. Sure it ain't perfect, but it doesn't **** me off in little ways like all the Android devices did.
    CharlieV likes this.
    04-10-15 09:16 AM
    The Note4 is a good phone, and I like what Samsung has done with the stylus. What it lacks, and what keeps me using my Blackberry, is the Hub.
    04-10-15 10:27 AM

BlackBerry has many tutorials on their YouTube channel, such as:

kbz1960 and andy957 like this.
    04-10-15 11:44 AM
    I don't regret it, but it's not that great of a phone or at least what I was expecting it to be. A lot of things that should be keyboard shortcuts aren't there like toggling Wi-Fi on & off, flashlight, copy/paste, and other things like that. I would rather have a buttoned trackpad (like the NOKIA E73 Mode) than a touch screen trackpad to be honest.

Posted via CB10
    Where is your Avatar picture from?
    04-10-15 11:59 AM
    BlackBerry has many tutorials on their YouTube channel, such as:

Yes, I've seen these tutorials, but they're meant for people who have already bought the devices. I'm talking about saturating the airwaves with ads that show off some feature/user interaction. The audience passively watches these ads on TV and when they encounter a device for the first time, they already know how to operate it.

I brought up this because when PlayBooks were on display at stores, they sat there without instruction and pressing on the screen didn't do anything. Gestures were unknown. Having previous experience with a BlackBerry phone didn't help and there's no "panic button" like on the iPad.
    04-10-15 12:00 PM
    OP - Both the Classic and Note are great devices, but for different types of users or practical use. I don't agree with your comment about the Classic being/feeling inadequate or that the keyboard is its only redeeming quality. That may be true to you, but not for other users.
    04-10-15 12:25 PM
    Classic is a device aimed at BBOS users, who don't need lots of apps or lots of horse power in processor or graphics. It can easily let down those returned users from iOS or Android platforms, who are used to a large selection of apps and powerful specs, and don't really care too much about the tool belt. For those users, Passport is a much better return path.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    Plazmic Flame and terminatorx like this.
    04-10-15 12:39 PM
137 1234 ...