I'm a former 8330, Tour, and Storm 2 (briefly) user on VZW. I then changed over to android and went through several devices (droid X, note 2, htc one m8). When it was announced that the Classic was coming to Verizon I got really excited, Edged up my m8 and got a Classic at launch.

When I first laid my hands on the demo Classic at my local AT&T store prior to the Verizon launch there was definitely a feeling of nostalgia. It just felt so good putting my hands back on the physical keyboard.

I recently upgraded my wife to a Note 4, and inherited her note 2 as my tablet so to speak. Now I find myself carrying the note 2 everywhere due to its much more pleasurable experience doing anything other than sending a text or email. Yes I know, the Classic is built for communication, and I get that, but after messing around with my wife's note 4, I can't help but feel like the Classic is just inadequate. I love the keyboard, but that really is its only redeeming quality, IMO. I know people will sing the praises of the hub also, but it really doesn't do much to enhance my experience as a user. I'm sure if I go back to a note, or other android device, I'll certainly miss the keyboard. I just don't think there's really anything else I'd be missing on this device.

Maybe I'll reactivate the note 2 and use it for a week and see if I come running back to my Classic, or maybe I'll just end up carrying 2 devices around all the time...or maybe I'll just stick to the androids...who knows. I do, however, wish I had gotten my fill of nostalgia within my 14 day return and exchange period! This is a great phone, just don't think it's a great phone for my specific usage/needs.

I'm sure this is news to no one, but just felt like sharing.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 08:06 AM
    Love my BlackBerry classic.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 08:12 AM
    Everyone has different uses for their phones. For me I don't use many apps and prefer using my iPad for sitting around surfing the Web and stuff. I find the classic to be a great mobile communication tool but that what I use it for. Just have to use what works for you.

Posted via CB10 on the Blackberry Classic
    04-09-15 08:18 AM
    Everyone has different uses for their phones. For me I don't use many apps and prefer using my iPad for sitting around surfing the Web and stuff. I find the classic to be a great mobile communication tool but that what I use it for. Just have to use what works for you.

Posted via CB10 on the Blackberry Classic
    I don't feel as though I use many apps either (mostly web browsing, Gmail, corp email, some excel/word editing), but having the capability is nice when the mood strikes to use my phone for something outside my normal usage.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 08:35 AM
    If the keyboard is the only important part why not give the passport a go?

Q5SQR100-3/10.3.1.2243
    04-09-15 08:41 AM
    If the keyboard is the only important part why not give the passport a go?

Q5SQR100-3/10.3.1.2243
    I'm on Verizon...no go on the passport, unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 08:47 AM
    Depends on your use. BlackBerry has clearly promoted it's newer devices as enterprise class, to be used for communication and little more. I have my classic for all communication needs and ipad for the rest. Combination works well.

Posted via CB10
    davisgq and slam5 like this.
    04-09-15 08:55 AM
    Interesting post, OP. I've followed the same path as you but I ended up with a Note 3 and a Passport. My Passport wins hands down but I still keep the Note 3 as a mini tablet. I haven't made a call on my beloved Note 3 in months but it is still activated.

Use cases are so different that it is hard to figure out what it best for a particular person. I can tell you what the calculus is for me.

For the Note:

Replaceable battery
    S pen and related apps

Honestly, after using both for awhile, those are the only advantages I cede to the Note 3.

For the passport:

Better reception
    Better Screen
    Bigger screen (when compared to Note with keyboard up)
    No stutter in GUI
    Runs all apps I can throw at it except chromecast
    True mutli tasking
    Incomparable keyboard experience,.. the Passport and any physical keyboard by Blackberry beats any screen keyboard for accuracy and is a must for my business use.
    I don't "play" with my Passport as much as I did my Note 3. The Note was a better time waster...which is both good and bad.
    Word substitution makes all typing better.

The X factor is that the Passport never pisses me off.

I have a Note 2 too and I didn't think the Note 3 was a compelling upgrade, but I cracked my Note 2 screen and it was just easier to get a new phone. From a Note 3 I didn't think the Note 4 was a compelling upgrade. I pay full price for my phones though so it might be an easier upgrade decision if it was subsidized. Based on the Samsung Galaxy s6, I bet the Note 5 will be a compelling upgrade. If you lean toward Android, you should wait.

The Android 5.0 update, which you may not have on your Note 2, is amazing.

I like the Classic but I need a bigger screen and keyboard. I think the Passport is more fluid, but that's a somewhat uninformed perspective.

I have to admit that though the Classic is a nice phone I'd be hard pressed to give up my Note 3 for one, as a second phone.... I understand your dilemma.

Posted via CB 10 on my Passport SQW100-1 sporting 10.3.1.2582
    04-09-15 08:59 AM
    Nice interesting points coming out from people! This shows blackberry deserves a great respect being a communicator and host of social networking apps and productivity focused. This says all android owners owning phablet sould own a classic as a primary device to suffice their business interest.

Posted via CB10
    NYTOC83 likes this.
    04-09-15 09:13 AM
    To each his own. I use my Classic for communication, occasional web surfing and Facebooking, and my Nexus 7 tablet for entertainment (Netflix, movies, games, etc). I'm not even a businessman or corporate executive but I email and text like crazy as I still need to get certain things done and the Classic more than handles that on a daily basis.
    04-09-15 09:15 AM
    Interesting post, OP. I've followed the same path as you but I ended up with a Note 3 and a Passport. My Passport wins hands down but I still keep the Note 3 as a mini tablet. I haven't made a call on my beloved Note 3 in months but it is still activated.

Use cases are so different that it is hard to figure out what it best for a particular person. I can tell you what the calculus is for me.

For the Note:

Replaceable battery
    S pen and related apps

Honestly, after using both for awhile, those are the only advantages I cede to the Note 3.

For the passport:

Better reception
    Better Screen
    Bigger screen (when compared to Note with keyboard up)
    No stutter in GUI
    Runs all apps I can throw at it except chromecast
    True mutli tasking
    Incomparable keyboard experience,.. the Passport and any physical keyboard by Blackberry beats any screen keyboard for accuracy and is a must for my business use.
    I don't "play" with my Passport as much as I did my Note 3. The Note was a better time waster...which is both good and bad.
    Word substitution makes all typing better.

The X factor is that the Passport never pisses me off.

I have a Note 2 too and I didn't think the Note 3 was a compelling upgrade, but I cracked my Note 2 screen and it was just easier to get a new phone. From a Note 3 I didn't think the Note 4 was a compelling upgrade. I pay full price for my phones though so it might be an easier upgrade decision if it was subsidized. Based on the Samsung Galaxy s6, I bet the Note 5 will be a compelling upgrade. If you lean toward Android, you should wait.

The Android 5.0 update, which you may not have on your Note 2, is amazing.

I like the Classic but I need a bigger screen and keyboard. I think the Passport is more fluid, but that's a somewhat uninformed perspective.

I have to admit that though the Classic is a nice phone I'd be hard pressed to give up my Note 3 for one, as a second phone.... I understand your dilemma.

Posted via CB 10 on my Passport SQW100-1 sporting 10.3.1.2582
    If the passport is so much better, screen, size etc. and the notes check points are only removable batter and s pen stuff what make the note your better tablet like device?
    anon(9184750) likes this.
    04-09-15 09:18 AM
    Oh man that Sucks. Can't go wrong with the passport.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-09-15 10:08 AM
    Ok, enjoy the Note 2.

I don't know what you're expecting from us...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-09-15 10:09 AM
    This says all android owners owning phablet sould own a classic as a primary device to suffice their business interest.

Posted via CB10
    It does not say that. Android devices are sufficient for my work needs.
    04-09-15 10:27 AM
    Sometimes feel the same, sometimes wants to go back to my Oneplus One.

Everybody who carries a Classic recognizes Note, Nexus or any other phablet wins in media and apps. Saying the Classic wins against them is not true due their different nature and uses.

That's why I have a Surface Pro 3 when some media and leisure time comes.

I think nowadays there is perfectly acceptable have a BlackBerry for communication and the Android or iOS for other purposes. There is nothing wrong doing this.

Having Classic and wanting something more for fun is rigth...but then the Hub and keyboard keeps haunting me hehe

From my Classic
    04-09-15 10:54 AM
    I used to have several Android machines.. But it never felt satisfied.. I own my Classic now for almost 3 weeks, and I never thought that a phone could give me such joy!
    It's practically glued to my hands (when i'm not at work) I use it for almost everything. Emailing, bbm, browsing, YouTube, texting etc. I haven't touched my laptop ever since.. don't need it.. I have everything I need with this device. It's my mini computer.
    Yes, maybe the Passport has better specs, but it feels clumsy in my hands ( I felt it irl)

Everyone has his own opinion, let's respect that. I'm happy with my Classic.

Posted via my awesome Classic
    Luiserafim and laketrout73 like this.
    04-09-15 10:55 AM
    Ok, enjoy the Note 2.

I don't know what you're expecting from us...

Did you not read my post? I said that I just felt like sharing my experience...I don't expect anything from anyone, but thanks for your contribution.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 10:57 AM
    If you need a 8 passenger minivan, why did you buy a 2 seat Ferrari?!
    BACK-2-BLACK likes this.
    04-09-15 11:52 AM
    I can definitely understand your point of view. I wouldn't recommend a BlackBerry to almost anyone but to a very small niche set of users such as myself. I do some web browsing, listening to locally stored music, IM and text to friends, email, note taking, and that's about it. For me, I'm pretty much golden on the Classic, but I can see how it wouldn't appeal to most people. I don't think BlackBerry will ever regain their glory, but I think they'll continue to carve out a small subset of dedicated fanboys like me who really enjoy them.

Android is damn good these days though, and I can see why a lot of people want to be there. Hell, for the last 2 years I abandoned BlackBerry due to a lack of available options on my carrier. Leaving my carrier fixed that, but I had the HTC One M7 and Google Nexus 5, and I adore both phones. It's good to be back though, not gonna lie.

Posted via CB10
    jas1978 likes this.
    04-09-15 11:55 AM
    Also, if you still have the Classic and "can't get rid of it" so to speak, consider selling it on ebay or Amazon. The Verizon Classic's are unlocked out of the box. I'm using a Verizon Classic on T-Mobile right now. They can be used on AT&T as well without issue. I even get LTE on T-Mobile with it.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 11:59 AM
    Did you not read my post? I said that I just felt like sharing my experience...I don't expect anything from anyone, but thanks for your contribution.

Posted via CB10
    Well, thanks for sharing, enjoy your Note 2.

Don't see how that was supposed to change my response...

hplovecraft likes this.
    04-09-15 12:05 PM
    OP thanks for sharing, sorry to see you go, I would like a follow up if you do or don't come back to the Classic after switching back to Android.

I just got upgraded into the Classic from the Q10 and absolutely love it. Having a bigger BlackBerry and the functionality of the trackpad is great for me. I have ran the iphone/Android route before my Q10 but couldn't get used to the touchscreen keyboard for the amount of work email and texting I do. I found myself having to constantly correct my sentences which I didn't like.

Good luck switching back, let us know if you have BlackBerry withdraws.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 12:28 PM
    No worries jfolland, use whatever phone is best suited your needs and likes. I too, really like the note series.
    04-09-15 12:49 PM
    I'm a former 8330, Tour, and Storm 2 (briefly) user on VZW. I then changed over to android and went through several devices (droid X, note 2, htc one m8). When it was announced that the Classic was coming to Verizon I got really excited, Edged up my m8 and got a Classic at launch.

When I first laid my hands on the demo Classic at my local AT&T store prior to the Verizon launch there was definitely a feeling of nostalgia. It just felt so good putting my hands back on the physical keyboard.

I recently upgraded my wife to a Note 4, and inherited her note 2 as my tablet so to speak. Now I find myself carrying the note 2 everywhere due to its much more pleasurable experience doing anything other than sending a text or email. Yes I know, the Classic is built for communication, and I get that, but after messing around with my wife's note 4, I can't help but feel like the Classic is just inadequate. I love the keyboard, but that really is its only redeeming quality, IMO. I know people will sing the praises of the hub also, but it really doesn't do much to enhance my experience as a user. I'm sure if I go back to a note, or other android device, I'll certainly miss the keyboard. I just don't think there's really anything else I'd be missing on this device.

Maybe I'll reactivate the note 2 and use it for a week and see if I come running back to my Classic, or maybe I'll just end up carrying 2 devices around all the time...or maybe I'll just stick to the androids...who knows. I do, however, wish I had gotten my fill of nostalgia within my 14 day return and exchange period! This is a great phone, just don't think it's a great phone for my specific usage/needs.

I'm sure this is news to no one, but just felt like sharing.

Posted via CB10
    If you gonna use 2 phones, go and get a Q10(smaller form factor) and the Note. The Classic is too big imo!
    04-09-15 01:05 PM
    I have the AT&T passport and bought the Classic for my wife (who refuses to have a phone without a hang-up button!)
    I am sometimes drawn to the simplicity of the Classic with the tool belt, but am also constantly reminded how much better the Passport is as a device.
    Techno-Emigre likes this.
    04-09-15 01:26 PM
137 123 ...