I want to love BB Maps, but in Italy it's terrible.
    Weird routing choices, can't find anything, roundabouts are confusing
    Even though I hate Google, I'm forced to use Google Maps
    Try Navfree, it’s on BB World.
    02-19-15 03:11 AM
    Try Navfree, it’s on BB World.
    I tried, the problem is that Italy is a big 700 mb map which must reside on the internal memory. I don't have this free space
    02-19-15 03:16 AM
    I have to admit that Blackberry Maps isn't the best mobile navigation on the market.

But it does the job.
    Also have used and needed it a few times when I was on the fly - always reached the location I wanted.

Better than nothing.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 04:32 AM
    I use BlackBerry Maps a lot and removed the buggy Waze app
    02-19-15 06:23 AM
    I've used BB Maps all over North America and the UK and have done since the OS5 days and it's never let me down. I love the simplicity of the maps themselves, I can quickly glance at the screen when needed and discern the information I need without it being a distraction. Voice turn by turn instructions are accurate and timely although a tad intrusive at the "maximum" setting.

I have one grumble though which isn't unique to just BB Maps. Device based GPS/Sat Nav systems rely on the device's data signal to identify the device and to be able to follow it, it doesn't use that data signal per se but it does lock onto it. I've found that when I roam, and I roam a lot, there are times I temporarily lose the data signal, maybe due to carrier switching or just due to low signal strength. It has never lasted long, maybe 30 seconds at most, but it only seems to happen in places I'm the least familiar with! LOL! Once the data signal has been re-established Maps never has had an issue with catching up, it happens almost instantaneously and always before A-GPS has a chance to figure things out.

I just got back from a trip from North East Toronto to Elyria, OH for business and Maps was able to guide me through Buffalo where I always seem to have issues, and helped me avoid some serious back ups and accidents along the way. The trip took me 5.5 hours, about 40 minutes longer than anticipated due to the diversions, still significantly better than my colleague's journey from Burlington, ON (taking traffic into account it's 45mins to an hour closer to the destination) that took him 6hrs 15mins using his in-dash Sat Nav in his 2013 BMW 5 series.

*EDIT*

Maps isn't perfect, I get that, but it's one of the most reliable and accurate systems I've used. The one thing I miss is walking directions as I rather walk than drive in the places I visit but it doesn't bother me that much.
    Last edited by HelloNuman; 02-19-15 at 07:00 AM.
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    02-19-15 06:34 AM
    BlackBerry maps is underrated. I use it more often than my dedicated GPS device.
    02-19-15 09:19 AM
    02-19-15 10:09 AM
    I find it excellent as a satnav, and absolutely hopeless in a city (London) as it doesn't show public transport - not even tube stations.

That's ok, I use it for when it's good, and use something else for when it isn't.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 10:13 AM
    Sorry it doesn't work for you - it says right or left for me every time I use the app.

Z10 - 10.3.1.2267 w/2244 radio - AT&T (posted via CB10)
    It doesn't make sense that it works for one person and not the other. Does the Classic not have the latest version?

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    02-19-15 01:03 PM
    I use Navfree all the time. I was in Germany and Denmark last fall. The maps were swopped out when I went from Denmark to Germany to save space. It worked very well.
    02-19-15 01:43 PM
    02-19-15 02:53 PM
    Strange. I just used it today and it told me a restaurant was on the right. In palo Alto california

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 04:15 PM
    BlackBerry map is great. I always use it when I'm online. Other than that, Navfree is my map when I'm not.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport - 10.3.1.2243
    02-19-15 08:59 PM
    Is it worthwhile using when you are roaming?

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 10:25 PM
    It certainly gets the job done especially for me 99% of the time, but Google maps is a lot more detailed and has more options, maps is something BlackBerry should focus on next along with upgrading assistant to be on par with siri and cortana

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 12:19 AM
    BlackBerry map is great. I always use it when I'm online. Other than that, Navfree is my map when I'm not.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport - 10.3.1.2243
    I normally get a "Your destination is approaching straight ahead" followed by "Your destination is on the left/right" as I get a bit closer.
    02-20-15 06:26 AM
    I normally get a "Your destination is approaching straight ahead" followed by "Your destination is on the left/right" as I get a bit closer.
    That is exactly how it works for me as well.

02-20-15 07:47 AM
    It doesn't make sense that it works for one person and not the other. Does the Classic not have the latest version?

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    Both my Z10 and my wife's Classic are running 10.3.1.2267 - and both devices get "right or left" indications. Her Classic came with 10.3.1.1954 and she did not have "right or left" indication - that came after I did the upgrade. My Z got the "right or left " indication when I installed 10.3.1.1949 a few weeks ago.

02-20-15 07:52 AM
    Waze never sends me in loops or gets confused. BlackBerry maps has sent me on a perpetual uturn loop before. After that I no longer use it. Maybe I'll try again one day.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 07:59 AM
    Good grief, I've just tried using BB Maps in a car for the first time. It is just shocking!

Firstly, it randomly shut itself down.

Next, as soon as you go off the route suggested - which is very soon because the data is wrong (see below) - it stops working until you touch the screen to instruct it to recalculate the route. This is clearly dangerous - and in GB at least it is also illegal, unless either the phone is mounted fixed to your car or you park the car and stop the engine.

Ironically given the app hasn't even got a walking mode, in my area (Ilkley, West Yorkshire) it does not distinguish public roads from private roads, driveways and even footpaths/bridle paths!!!

I'm really shocked BB would be associated with such a shoddy product.

The Android "Here" maps app sadly doesn't work on my Classic, so what do people think best for driving and walking in GB (other countries may be different)? I'm aware of:
    - Wayz
    - Navfree
    - BeMaps
    (and obviously Google via Broswer which isn't too bad when walking)

Advice gratefully appreciated - pending RIM sorting themselves out and giving the pishpoor TomTom the beating they so richly deserve!

Thanks...
    02-21-15 06:52 AM
    Good grief, I've just tried using BB Maps in a car for the first time. It is just shocking!

Firstly, it randomly shut itself down.

Next, as soon as you go off the route suggested - which is very soon because the data is wrong (see below) - it stops working until you touch the screen to instruct it to recalculate the route. This is clearly dangerous - and in GB at least it is also illegal, unless either the phone is mounted fixed to your car or you park the car and stop the engine.

Ironically given the app hasn't even got a walking mode, in my area (Ilkley, West Yorkshire) it does not distinguish public roads from private roads, driveways and even footpaths/bridle paths!!!

I'm really shocked BB would be associated with such a shoddy product.

The Android "Here" maps app sadly doesn't work on my Classic, so what do people think best for driving and walking in GB (other countries may be different)? I'm aware of:
    - Wayz
    - Navfree
    - BeMaps
    (and obviously Google via Broswer which isn't too bad when walking)

Advice gratefully appreciated - pending RIM sorting themselves out and giving the pishpoor TomTom the beating they so richly deserve!

Thanks...
    It's odd how peoples' experience differs so much. As I said in an earlier post I've used Maps since OS5 and have never run into any difficulty, I use it as my primary GPS/Sat Nav extensively in North America and in the UK. When I visit the UK I use a T-Mobile SIM and spend most of my time visiting relatives in very rural areas in Devon and Cornwall, mostly on and around Dartmoor and it has never given me the difficulties you seem to be having.
    02-21-15 03:11 PM
    bb maps is the best!
    kitmo likes this.
    02-21-15 06:20 PM
    When I tried the satnav the other day, BB Maps told me that voice directions were not available at my location (southernmost Sweden).
    Strange, I don't think my location should be effecting that.
    02-23-15 02:50 AM
    For pedestrian use, it sucks around here. Some smaller sideways aren't always mentioned in BlackBerry Maps. What's even worse: Train stations, subway stations, tramways and bus stops also aren't displayed at all. There is also no option to make them shown on the maps. Really disappointing for me, I prefer BeMaps Pro or Navfree for that matter.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 05:05 AM
    Sooooooooo..........then how is "this the kind of thinking the reason BlackBerry lost so much market share"? You forgot to explain that part.
    I'm sorry if I came off as rude but I stand by what I said. Taking a tech-centric view rather than a user-centric view is the reason. Why does a user read a map? To get directions. If a map can't provide the user with those directions, the user does not care why. They'll just switch to a map that gives them what they want. That is why I say this line of thinking is what cost BB its marketshare.

Yes, it's just a map, because maps..........are maps. Yes, google has more because google IS more. Google is a search engine FIRST, and everything ELSE it does leverages that service. Why would BlackBerry decide it needs to become a search engine company just so it's map app can include movie times or transit info?
    They don't need to become a search engine to do that. They could've licensed the commercial Google Maps API. Instead they decided to save some money and deliver a sub-par map. Good news for the developers of BeMaps Pro!! (and, to be clear, by sub-par I mean 'does not offer the same functionality as google maps or probably even apple maps')

How is making a distinction backwards? It's stating a fact. You might as well say that Apple is thinking backwards because they don't have BIS.
    It's not making the distinction that is backwards. Letting the distinction prevent you from offering more useful software is backwards. A user is not going to say 'well, this map doesn't give me transit directions but that's okay because maps aren't supposed to give me transit directions.' They are going to say 'this map doesn't give me transit directions, but THIS OTHER map does, so I'm going to use that!'

The app cares how you are getting there for the same reason any GPS off the shelf cares. Because it's sole function is to figure out where you are, find where you want to go, and tell you how to get there by combining real time GPS data and laying it over a map (of ROADS). That's how ANY GPS works. They don't include transit info. That's what the internet is for.
    I could just as well argue that a map should not have a GPS feature. After all, it's not a *map's* function to tell you where you are. That's your job, by checking your surroundings for landmarks that can be identified on the map. But if you combine it with GPS you get this really convenient feature that tells you where you are on the map and lets you plot out directions on the map. And, if you combine it with transit data, then you get this really convenient feature that lets you do the same thing, but with transit.

So again, not recognizing that you can take different data sets (a map, GPS data and transit schedules are all different data sets) and combine them to offer something useful is a sure way to get left in the dust by your competitors.

The "technical distinction" is a reality regardless of the awareness any particular user has to it's existence.
    That's the point. The technical distinction is a reality, but it is little more than a hurdle to providing a user interface that leaves the user unaware that there are distinct technologies that are working behind the scenes to provide a tool.

BlackBerry maps is free. BeMaps Pro is not, and in fact cost double what most apps cost. Most likely because Google is integrated.
    Quite possibly. Free or not, it is a sub par map app (or perhaps a better term would be 'navigation tool' since it is already a lot more than just a map with the inclusion of GPS navigation.)
    02-24-15 11:19 AM
138 ... 3456