Errr...try using it overseas. Becomes the worst map app ever

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    ominaxe likes this.
    02-18-15 09:05 AM
    This kind of thinking is the reason why blackberry lost so much market share!

Blackberry Maps is a joke *because* it's pretty much just a map, and anyone who has used Google maps is going to expect a heck of a lot more. Making the distinction between 'map functions' and 'search functions' is the sort of backward thinking that leads to offering navigation for one form of transportation but not another. From the user's perspective it's the same thing -- directions. So why does the app care how you're getting there? Because of some technical distinction no real user is actually going to care about?

BeMaps Pro was one of the first apps I installed. *Huge* improvement over the built in map.
    Sooooooooo..........then how is "this the kind of thinking the reason BlackBerry lost so much market share"? You forgot to explain that part.

Yes, it's just a map, because maps..........are maps. Yes, google has more because google IS more. Google is a search engine FIRST, and everything ELSE it does leverages that service. Why would BlackBerry decide it needs to become a search engine company just so it's map app can include movie times or transit info?

How is making a distinction backwards? It's stating a fact. You might as well say that Apple is thinking backwards because they don't have BIS.

The app cares how you are getting there for the same reason any GPS off the shelf cares. Because it's sole function is to figure out where you are, find where you want to go, and tell you how to get there by combining real time GPS data and laying it over a map (of ROADS). That's how ANY GPS works. They don't include transit info. That's what the internet is for.

The "technical distinction" is a reality regardless of the awareness any particular user has to it's existence.

BlackBerry maps is free. BeMaps Pro is not, and in fact cost double what most apps cost. Most likely because Google is integrated.
    02-18-15 09:10 AM
    Navfree doesn't look bad...
    anon(5597702) and Blacklatino like this.
    02-18-15 09:25 AM
    you can't simply type google.com/maps in your browser? I guess I've never tried so I wouldn't know.
    02-18-15 09:32 AM
    you can't simply type google.com/maps in your browser? I guess I've never tried so I wouldn't know.
    Actually, you can. But I don't think it will talk to you, just show you the turns, and show you on a map making those turns as you follow the blue line. This will happen inside the browser.
    02-18-15 09:43 AM
    Never really use maps. Going to give it a try. Thanks OP

(Zed30 running benbraun322's hybrid 1949/939)
    02-18-15 09:47 AM
    Actually, you can. But I don't think it will talk to you, just show you the turns, and show you on a map making those turns as you follow the blue line. This will happen inside the browser.
    Funny how much you can just do inside a browser. I tend to use the browser instead of apps, as I find the experience usually has a lot more utility (especially in desktop mode).
    02-18-15 09:50 AM
    BlackBerry Maps is passable, that’s all. It will get you from A to B in most situations, as long as you don’t expect or rely on (accurate) POI data or advanced navigation functions.

Navfree doesn't look bad...
    It’s quite good and the map data is crowdsourced and regularly updated.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    02-18-15 09:54 AM
    So if I'm sightseeing, a delivery driver, or an uber driver I might have a problem...I actually like to study the map of where I'm going first anyhow, just so I know kinda where I'm at before I get there in terms of streets and layout of places ect.
    02-18-15 10:05 AM
    Right, 10.3.1........ When's that coming out again? 2017?
    Thanks for the positive contribution!!! And if you couldn't figure out stoney trail maybe you shouldn't operate an motor vehicle??!! Just saying

Posted via CB10
    Phil Kauffman and wincyUt like this.
    02-18-15 10:20 AM
    doesnt work in asia, particularly when i was in japan
    02-18-15 10:54 AM
    I loved BlackBerry Traffic in OS7 and BlackBerry Maps is very close in BB10, I have no problems using here on the West Coast of BC.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 11:04 AM
    I loved BlackBerry Traffic in OS7 and BlackBerry Maps is very close in BB10, I have no problems using here on the West Coast of BC.

Posted via CB10
    One thing I missed about Blackberry OS 7 was BlackBerry Traffic. I wish that was back.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-18-15 12:05 PM
    I live in Winnipeg, Canada...for my use Blackberry Maps has filled my needs. That said I really don't use it that much and you would understand why if you lived here.
    02-18-15 12:16 PM
    Good grief, there really is NO walking mode, then? I thought it was just me being dense. That's just staggering as an omission. I can just about live with there being no public transport option, because actually the PT info is seldom all that good even on Google (varies by country, I know) - but if you have no walking option, navigation is useless in most cities as you will generally of course be led in a totally inappropriate route.

That really is an urgent one for an update.

In the meantime, what mapping apps do people recommend? (And yes, I'm aware of just using Google via the browser, which isn't bad but the UI isn't very BB-friendly!). I'd ideally want the ability to pre-download maps e.g. for use abroad. If the app is genuinely good, I'd consider paying for it.

Thanks in advance for any gen!
    02-18-15 12:32 PM
    Good grief, there really is NO walking mode, then?
    In the meantime, what mapping apps do people recommend? (And yes, I'm aware of just using Google via the browser, which isn't bad but the UI isn't very BB-friendly!). I'd ideally want the ability to pre-download maps e.g. for use abroad. If the app is genuinely good, I'd consider paying for it.
    If they're using TomTom's crowd-sourcing data for their maps, they're not going to have a walking mode readily available since most people don't walk around with their TomTom GPS all the time.
    "BeMaps 10 Pro" is a native BlackBerry app for $5.99 that uses Google Maps and is pretty good.
    In terms of offline maps, I don't know of any apps that really knock it out of the park. I know there's a "New York Offline Map & Travel Guide" in BlackBerry World, and a similar one for London, Paris, and Rome. I can't attest to the quality of this series of apps but they're all free for you to try! You're not really going to find any stellar offline worldwide map apps since that would make the app file size pretty ridiculous, so IMO you're better off going with something like "BeMaps 10 Pro".
    Hope this helps!
    02-18-15 12:49 PM
    Good grief, there really is NO walking mode, then? I thought it was just me being dense. That's just staggering as an omission. I can just about live with there being no public transport option, because actually the PT info is seldom all that good even on Google (varies by country, I know) - but if you have no walking option, navigation is useless in most cities as you will generally of course be led in a totally inappropriate route.

That really is an urgent one for an update.

Thanks in advance for any gen!
    BeMaps pro is good, but doesn't give you the option to configure routes based on time, or choose what route you prefer.

You can also sideload the official Google Maps app. There isn't no Play Services, but it works regardless.
    02-18-15 12:55 PM
    Thanks, both - shall give BeMaps a try then. I guess the offline mapping isn't such an issue now that roaming charges have dropped, at least until I leave the EU!

That is the one, single thing that my old Nokia E6 (my last non-BB) was very good at: Nokia maps allowed you to download whatever countries' maps you were going to need on your trip, in advance and for nowt... Ah, nostalgia!

PS Sorry, one more thing: I really miss the old "I" and "O" shortcuts to zoom in and out of the map - so much better than switching between Zoom and Pan modes, or Android-esque pinching on the screen (ugh!!). Does BeMaps support that by any chance...? Cheers!
    02-18-15 01:05 PM
    Works like a charm for me unless my wife is in the car, then I seem to have issues. Then I hear the lovely (your phone sucks!) tiraid
    02-18-15 02:35 PM
    OH, you can sideload HERE maps for Android on your BlackBerry as well! That allows you to save whole countries.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    02-18-15 02:39 PM
    OH, you can sideload HERE maps for Android on your BlackBerry as well! That allows you to save whole countries.
    Can I ask a terribly stupid question...? I've no experience yet of sideloading Android apps onto my BB. Is there somewhere on this site a tutorial for how to do this, in muppet language that I would understand?(!)

Thanks! Finished embarrassing myself now...
    02-18-15 02:55 PM
    Ever since 10.2.1, you can directly install the APK without a problem. I've uploaded the latest version of Here maps to my Google Drive. Just download it from your BlackBerry here, and you should be able to install it directly.
    02-18-15 03:08 PM
    I have relied on BB maps on a few occasions and it has never disappointed - actually from all the crap I had heard, it impressed me too!

I can understand that it may not be as full featured as the other mapping apps, but I have not needed anything like street view.
    If I want to do a local search, I can enable location (which I always leave off, thank you) and search in google mobile web page, again, probably I've needed to do this 3 times in the past year, so not a big deal.
    02-18-15 03:20 PM
    Ever since 10.2.1, you can directly install the APK without a problem. I've uploaded the latest version of Here maps to my Google Drive. Just download it from your BlackBerry here, and you should be able to install it directly.
    Thanks very much for the tip - I hadn't realised that was possible. However, unfortunately it seems my phone doesn't like Here - I can't get it to start and it just hangs on the opening screen, before minimising itself. Oh well, no harm done (I suppose!) - I guess that can happen with non-BB apps; shall just delete the app and try something else.
    02-18-15 03:59 PM
    I already used BB maps in several big cities in Europe, never any issues.
    02-18-15 04:20 PM
138 12345 ...