I am replacing my classic with a new one because all other phones are too big, not as reliable and do not have a keyboard. I want to restore my last backup on my old classic. I am getting an error message that says "this backup is not compatible with the version of the device software that you're currently running. Update your device software and try again."

This is not the case the software is updated. Blackberry Desktop is also not letting me sign in with my blackberry id.

Consequently I cannot get the new Classic to work.

I need an assist. Thank you.
    01-08-18 08:37 AM
    Which OS version was used for your backup, and which is your new Classic running?

Specifically, if your new Classic is running 10.3.3 then you will not be able to restore a backup made on a Classic which has 10.3.2.

If this is your case, you could upgrade your old Classic to the latest 10.3.3, run another backup, and then see if it will restore onto your new device.

Hope that helps!

Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.3.2.2813
    01-08-18 09:56 AM
    LINK not allowing you to sign into your BBID....

Might work tomorrow with no intervention on your part

Might need to reboot both PC and Phone (hard reset best)

Might need to uninstall all BlackBerry software and even clean the registry, reboot and reinstall (latest version).
    01-08-18 10:18 AM
    Yes, check all the aforementioned proposals and you should be fine.
    01-08-18 03:37 PM
    Thank you for this Ragbert. My old Classic was taken. Consequently I do not have a backup capability on another machine. I strongly believe my stolen Classic had the newest version of the software because the backup was in October. However, if this is not the case it still does not make sense that I cannot a) sign into my blackberry id and b) and old backup has always traditionally worked on a new version of the software. It this were not the case would not many many legitimate backups be lost for all time? Thank you very much for this assist.
    01-10-18 08:09 AM
    To all of you who are assisting, thank you. I cannot sign in to bb id. I do not know why. The backup I am trying to put onto my new Classic (why, you ask a NEW Classic? - it fits in my hand, light, easier screen interface than Keyone (which I bought and returned) or Motion. This new Classic replaced my old Classic which was taken and I had backed up in October. Thus, I have no way to update software on old Classic and then backup. It will be a lot of work to rebuild new Classic in form of old Classic without backup. Disappointed. Why would a backup two months old not work with a new version of software? Seems highly impractical and not bb-like. Thank you.
    01-10-18 08:36 AM
    To all of you who are assisting, thank you. I cannot sign in to bb id. I do not know why. The backup I am trying to put onto my new Classic (why, you ask a NEW Classic? - it fits in my hand, light, easier screen interface than Keyone (which I bought and returned) or Motion. This new Classic replaced my old Classic which was taken and I had backed up in October. Thus, I have no way to update software on old Classic and then backup. It will be a lot of work to rebuild new Classic in form of old Classic without backup. Disappointed. Why would a backup two months old not work with a new version of software? Seems highly impractical and not bb-like. Thank you.
    Sorry but BlackBerry stopped supporting LINK a few years ago.... You can do some searches on CrackBerry to get a better understanding of what issues are pretty common and some of the things you can try. Might find a "fix".... but many of us didn't.

Personally I'd take this time to move onto a platform that has a future, but if you plan to stick to BB10.... Ultimate Backup, a working Cloud Storage, and Cloud based email are what you need to look at using. So this doesn't happen again. I'd also start using the Content Transfer App from time to time as a backup for the eventual move to Android (unless you go with iOS).
    01-10-18 11:06 AM
    Where are you trying to sign in?
    To all of you who are assisting, thank you. I cannot sign in to bb id. I do not know why.
    Because when BB10 went from 10.3.2 to 10.3.3, the newer version was not backup- compatible with any of the older 10.3.2 backups. Even if you made the backups only 2 months before. And there was no way to downgrade again to the older version.

Why would a backup two months old not work with a new version of software? Seems highly impractical and not bb-like. Thank you.
    At this point, I would use Ultimate Backup or ContactsImEx from BBW (while you can still install them) to back up your data from now on. If you can back up your contacts to some generic format like csv, do that, too. Store the backups in the cloud (Dropbox or whatever you have which you can access directly from your device) and don't depend on Link anymore.

Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.3.2.2813
    01-12-18 08:34 AM