As an iPhone user, I find myself wanting a better typing experience and have long considered selling my 128GB iPhone 6 for a new Blackberry Classic. Yes, it sounds nuts to many. There’s a lot to love about iPhone, but lately the keyboard and the battery life haven't been as stellar since I first turned it on in January. I've made a list about what I use and what matters, and BB checks most boxes surprisingly (some compromises naturally, but I adapt well having been a user of all four major platforms). So what’s someone to do if they want to test drive the Classic? Seeing Verizon Wireless is my carrier, I visited my nearest VZW retailer Sunday afternoon.

The retailer is Procom Wireless (1515 E Fowler Ave, Tampa, FL), billed on its signage as a Premium Retailer for Verizon Wireless. Seems legit. The store looked nice when I walked in – albeit an empty store with three employees standing around.

I didn’t get any of their names because the visit was brief: two African American employees (one male, one female), and the third a Caucasian male. That third employee, who was seated the entire time and playing with his own phone, is the man who laughed when I asked this simple question:

“Do you have the Blackberry Classic on display? I want to test it out.”

I was honestly stunned when I heard his laugh. It was one of those laughs that asks, “Who the f***?” or says, “What an irrelevant phone, and you’re a backwards a***ole for asking.”

The professional female of the three answered.

“We do not have the Classic in stock but we can order it for you.”

I politely declined, about-faced, and exited the store. My contract ends at the end of March 2016, but I am tempted to pay the ETF to leave early and try out AT&T or T-Mobile again. Leaving a service is the only real “f*** you” that matters, because it’s too late to tell the laughing Rep what I think and feel about him. The moment has passed.

Has anything similar happened to you, ever, when asking about a BB phone (or any phone)?
    dabbguy likes this.
    04-20-15 08:23 AM
    Wow. Sad for that business.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    vision20xi likes this.
    04-20-15 08:28 AM
    You'll have much better luck with Corporate stores, although not all of them have it. If I were you, I'd call around VZW corporate and AT&T corporate stores and ask them if they have display models.

BlackBerries aren't the easiest phones to find, for sure. But you'll probably love the Classic once in hand.

From a Classic
    Last edited by Xenolock; 04-20-15 at 10:35 AM.
    04-20-15 08:42 AM
    I would second going to a corporate store. My local one has the Classic on display. In fact, I had to wait to look at it because people were looking at it!
    04-20-15 08:53 AM
    You could try going into an actual Verizon store, if there is one nearby, but I can't guarantee that they would have one on display either. Still, it might be worth a try.
    southlander likes this.
    04-20-15 08:56 AM
    The availability issue carries over to AT&T as well; I bought my original Z10 (right after launch) at a "partner" store or whatever you would call it; a while later getting another one took going to an actual AT&T corporate store - as the other store no longer stocked any BB's. The corporate store people were very friendly and helpful, no grief from them whatsoever regarding my choice of phone. Which is how it should be.

Richard
    04-20-15 09:09 AM
    As an iPhone user, I find myself wanting a better typing experience and have long considered selling my 128GB iPhone 6 for a new Blackberry Classic. Yes, it sounds nuts to many. There’s a lot to love about iPhone, but lately the keyboard and the battery life haven't been as stellar since I first turned it on in January. I've made a list about what I use and what matters, and BB checks most boxes surprisingly (some compromises naturally, but I adapt well having been a user of all four major platforms). So what’s someone to do if they want to test drive the Classic? Seeing Verizon Wireless is my carrier, I visited my nearest VZW retailer Sunday afternoon.

The retailer is Procom Wireless (1515 E Fowler Ave, Tampa, FL), billed on its signage as a Premium Retailer for Verizon Wireless. Seems legit. The store looked nice when I walked in – albeit an empty store with three employees standing around.

I didn’t get any of their names because the visit was brief: two African American employees (one male, one female), and the third a Caucasian male. That third employee, who was seated the entire time and playing with his own phone, is the man who laughed when I asked this simple question:

I was honestly stunned when I heard his laugh. It was one of those laughs that asks, “Who the f***?” or says, “What an irrelevant phone, and you’re a backwards a***ole for asking.”

The professional female of the three answered.

“We do not have the Classic in stock but we can order it for you.”

I politely declined, about-faced, and exited the store. My contract ends at the end of March 2016, but I am tempted to pay the ETF to leave early and try out AT&T or T-Mobile again. Leaving a service is the only real “f*** you” that matters, because it’s too late to tell the laughing Rep what I think and feel about him. The moment has passed.

Has anything similar happened to you, ever, when asking about a BB phone (or any phone)?
    Yeah, I stopped playing that game with VZW stores and Sales Reps after my 9930 episode. My last 2 BBs after were a Q10, and now a Classic. Both were ordered online through VZW. I didn't even test out the Classic because none of the stores (even the so-called "corporate" ones) had them on display. I went off reviews and such. The Q10 was surprisingly on display at one VZW store when it came out, so I got to play around with it without being bothered by anyone. I guess there's a "ignore anyone who is playing with BBs" policy or something at VZW. Lol. Fine with me because if I am going to get berated for looking at or asking about BB, then it's best you DON'T acknowledge me. I'll just go ahead and order it online, thank you.
    04-20-15 09:32 AM
    Yes, go to a corporate store.

Those private third party store can screw you over if or when you have to do an exchange or a refund for a defective device.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 09:34 AM
    I don't think it's carrier-wide. It's more store to store. I'm with AT&T and so far have not had any trouble like that in any of the AT&T stores I've been to, but I'm sure others have in other areas, so I'm not sure if you will have a good experience with AT&T like I have so far...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-20-15 09:46 AM
    I never understood why people care so much about sales rep. They have less knowledge that people posting on internet forums. They are young most of the time, moving from sales positions to sales positions among big retail chains no matter of what is the product (sport shoes, smartphones, jeans, ...).

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 10:13 AM
    I order online a lot of the time too. There's often a superiority complex among iPhone and even Android fanbois like Blackberry is terrible but every phone has its downsides and honestly I'd rather not be an iSheep caught up in the trends when Apple's phones change very very little from year to year (IMO). The iphone 6 has a bigger screen and that's about it compared with a 5s. It's ridiculous they spend a year updating the phone and this is what they put out, and everyone flocks to it, yet a Blackberry which is (again, IMO) much better for functional tasks is considered "weird"
    04-20-15 10:22 AM
    It really depends store to store. The VZW down the street from me didn't have any at all, but the VZW down the street from my folks' house had both display and sales stock--both corporate stores. So I picked mine up when I went to visit my folks.

Conversely, the AT&T store literally across from the street from the VZW near me has both Classic and Passports on display and in stock. I would've switched to AT&T right there if I wasn't still under contract for my Z30, lol.

Authorized Retailers are franchises, and often don't have the same standards as the corporate stores. The majority of unpleasant rep stories probably come from these.

From a Classic
    04-20-15 10:40 AM
    Ha! Same thing happened to me at a partner store. Literally they laughed in my face. I went from a iphone 6 plus to the classic and I love it.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 11:14 AM
    I've ran into similar situations in the past inside of my at&t and Verizon stores here in Idaho. When I stopped into a Verizon store recently I was promptly shown a display model and they let me hold one out of the box.

Not only were they knowledgeable but they were excited to show it. I was told by the rep that he's looking at it as his next business phone, might even make the move on his personal if he had all the apps he wanted.

Generally speaking retailers are crap, there are some good ones but they are rare.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 11:27 AM
    I never understood why people care so much about sales rep. They have less knowledge that people posting on internet forums. They are young most of the time, moving from sales positions to sales positions among big retail chains no matter of what is the product (sport shoes, smartphones, jeans, ...).

Posted via CB10
    I disagree. It's simply a matter of principle.

It's like being in the checkout line at Walmart and being laughed at for the type of Cornflakes your about to buy because it's not Kellogg's. See what I mean?

It simply not of anyone's business what kind of phone I CHOOSE to use.

They are a service plain and simple. Now I don't mind if I'm offered alternatives in a constructive and unobtrusive way. But in the end a consumer should get what they want with being subject to having their esteem degraded regarding their choice.

And just like in the Walmart example I would address that kind of behavior with the cashier and their manager.

Posted via CB10 on my Awesome BlackBerry Passport
    04-20-15 11:52 AM
    I was playing with the classic on display at a verizon store (they had the q10, z30, and classic all on display!) Anyway, I somehow set off the alarm and an employee came over and said "don't worry, out of all the phones here, i know you wouldn't try to steal the blackberry." He was stunned when i pulled my z10 out of my pocket and said i already had a blackberry.
    dbollman423 and BenleBN like this.
    04-20-15 12:01 PM

two African American employees (one male, one female), and the third a Caucasian male.That third employee, who was seated the entire time and playing with his own phone, is the man who laughed when I asked this simple question:

Why was it important enough for you to mention their race? Why is this relevant for your story?
    Was it so weird for you that it weren't the "African American" sales reps that were rude to you, but the "caucasian" male in stead?
    04-20-15 12:21 PM
    Why was it important enough for you to mention their race? Why is this relevant for your story?
    Was it so weird for you that it weren't the "African American" sales reps that were rude to you, but the "caucasian" male in stead?
    Because I'm painting a visual as part of an ordered and detailed re-telling of my experience; nothing implied whatsoever. Would you prefer if I used non-PC terms?
    04-20-15 12:28 PM
    I think the op was just trying to be as descriptive as possible. I really didn't get that vibe from this thread.
    04-20-15 12:29 PM
    I think the op was just trying to be as descriptive as possible. I really didn't get that vibe from this thread.
    Thank you. And also I used a large part of the email I sent to Procom for this post, which included the race of each employee to easily I.D. who was working that Sunday afternoon. That's the other reason why I mentioned it; the first reason already given a few posts above this.

Why do I even feel like I need to explain this? Ugh...
    donemt and maddie1128 like this.
    04-20-15 12:34 PM
    I've experienced similar "discouragement" in multiple VZW stores over the years. Even back in Pearl days. Almost verbatim. Almost as if part of a training program. Typically, i'd pull out my device and SHOW them how i operate the device and challenge them to SHOW me a device that will work better. Shuts them up solid.
    04-20-15 01:08 PM
    Never had a problem with ATT even when employees turn over every 6 months in my area. Just like any sales position you have to know the product. If you don't know it you tend to stay away from selling it. BlackBerry is one of the harder phones to use. Therefore making it harder to sell.

I have been with ATT for 8 years. Always tempted to switch carriers. Whenever rates go down I just call them up and get the phone adjusted. From iPhone to 9900 was the best switch I ever made.

In December I bought the Classic from Amazon. I do not regret not waiting. I will never again wait for a carrier. Those that buy at launch have such a bigger advantage over those that wait.

Pros:

1) Ground level awareness about the phone and software;
    2) Cognizance of shared information. Such as the do's and don'ts, apps, how to's......;
    3) Up grades on OS and finds and fixes. There is no way a person getting a Classic 'right now' can catch up and understand what is going on in the BB10 Forum unless they have already been there or spends hours catching up.

Of course this is amplified when moving from another platform or OS7.

But I'm just an old **** so it takes me longer.

This BB10.3.2.500 is the bomb. Anyone not on it is missing the boat.

Posted via CB10
    gokulesh likes this.
    04-20-15 01:43 PM
    The next time you go in a Verizon store and they give you **** about you antique BlackBerry Classic bet them $20 you can out text them 2 out of 3 times.

Lose the first one than ask to double the bet. Then kick their *ss.

ROFL

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 01:58 PM
    Oh no, the PC Police have arrived...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    donemt likes this.
    04-20-15 03:36 PM
    Op just reading your post just makes me boil because of how unprofessional these reps are. I would have confronted him back and tell him, are you here to make money or laugh at your customer. The classic might not fit your needs but it has plenty of functionality that is right for me.

Op you are entitled to purchase the phone that fits your needs not someone to dictate what you can and can not have.

Do us all a favour if you leave Verizon, call into their head office and tell them your story. You're not the only one being effected by these sales guys lack of education. Let corporate management hear what is taking place at their stores.
    Wigley458 likes this.
    04-20-15 04:23 PM
91 123 ...