Just wondering. Is the Classic sales reaching BlackBerry's expectations or exceeding, anyone's got a clue?

I for one would love to see the Classic succeed. That way we would get the next gen Classic a lot sooner...

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 05:00 AM
    Unless BlackBerry releases any official sales figures for individual devices, we never will know for sure. So far they've never done it with any (BB10) devices, so the chances seeing real numbers are pretty small. However maybe Chen might make a statement in one of the upcoming financial calls.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 07:22 AM
    BlackBerry doesn't typically release those granular numbers but I can tell you what's happening in my environment.

The Classic is outselling the Passport 2 to 1 over a 2 month period. Based on those numbers, id consider it the best selling BlackBerry in many years. That said, the iPhone still out sells BlackBerry 2-1 which used to be 4-1 the same time last year.

Overall, id say the Classic is holding its own.
    05-05-15 07:27 AM
    2-1 vs Iphone? Really? That is hard to believe unless your a store with more BlackBerry than IPh - which is even harder to believe

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 10:25 AM
    Yeah, a bit unrealistic estimation even for the common man.

Posted via CB10
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    05-05-15 10:38 AM
    How well is BlackBerry Leap received over the one week of its launch? Any inside information?

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 10:43 AM
    I'm around lot's of corporate people and I have yet to see anyone holding a Classic instead of holding a 9900.

Indeed I have not seen anyone holding a Classic.
    05-05-15 11:17 AM
    2-1 vs Iphone? Really? That is hard to believe unless your a store with more BlackBerry than IPh - which is even harder to believe

Posted via CB10
    There's a great wide world outside of North America.
    BigAl_BB9900, johnnyuk and NikoB82 like this.
    05-05-15 12:19 PM
    I'm waiting for the Classic 2, The current classic is good but not great.
    05-05-15 01:34 PM
    I'm waiting for the Classic 2, The current classic is good but not great.
    I agree. I'm loooking for a Q10 upgrade, not Q10 with a toolbelt, lol.

My Q10 turns two today! going strong besides screen burn and a dying backlight on keyboard (or dirty)

Posted via BlackBerry Q10 Smartphone
    Trauma Surgeon and jope28 like this.
    05-05-15 01:49 PM
    Unfortunately the comparison to Apple is somewhat ridiculous, no matter where on earth. Apple reported 39.4 million iPhone sales in three months last October. Even though those figures might be tweaked, the amount exceeds the number of total globally active BlackBerry users from November 2014, which added up to 37m.

Reading the financial press at the moment, Morgan Stanley told its clients that BlackBerry's phones are severely underselling and even stated a number of only 8,000 units of the Passport and Classic together in late Q1 2015. As a reminder, that's about 0,02% of what Apple sells in a quarter or about 5000 times less.

Of course the Classic is still fairly new to the market so it might take some time for it to gain traction but unfortunately I don't expect the Passport or Classic sales to be anywhere close to what they should.

Believe me, I am a BlackBerry guy and I hope sales prove to be much better than expected but sadly I'm not all too optimistic about it.

It's a shame because in my opinion the Classic is a great device and an asset to anyone who is into business and a wants a stylish, high quality communication tool. It will certainly be my next BlackBerry after the Passport. We can just hope that more people find out about the greatness of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and Bold_and_Blunt like this.
    05-05-15 02:22 PM
    I agree. I'm loooking for a Q10 upgrade, not Q10 with a toolbelt, lol.

My Q10 turns two today! going strong besides screen burn and a dying backlight on keyboard (or dirty)

Posted via BlackBerry Q10 Smartphone
    A classic 2 made of better quality materials with Passport specs and a light up track pad would be perfect. If BB went under after it's release I would build a bomb proof bunker and stock pile Classic 2's because a better phone with a keyboard would never come out!
    andy957 and eyesopen1111 like this.
    05-05-15 05:37 PM
    Reading the financial press at the moment, Morgan Stanley told its clients that BlackBerry's phones are severely underselling and even stated a number of only 8,000 units of the Passport and Classic together in late Q1 2015. As a reminder, that's about 0,02% of what Apple sells in a quarter or about 5000 times less.
    does anyone have a handy link to the official debunking of that oft quoted Morgan-Stanley bunk?

A lot has to happen before BB10 devices will find their market, and most of that 'lot' has to be done going uphill against-the-wind in a blizzard... at the point to getting (on its very simplest terms) the BlackBerry Brand back to respectability.

If Chen can't do it, I don't know who can.
    05-05-15 05:41 PM
    does anyone have a handy link to the official debunking of that oft quoted Morgan-Stanley bunk?

A lot has to happen before BB10 devices will find their market, and most of that 'lot' has to be done going uphill against-the-wind in a blizzard... at the point to getting (on its very simplest terms) the BlackBerry Brand back to respectability.

If Chen can't do it, I don't know who can.
    I would be glad if you could post it here because I was actually surprised that the number could be that low, even if it is only in a quarter.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 06:17 PM
    I would be glad if you could post it here because I was actually surprised that the number could be that low, even if it is only in a quarter.

Posted via CB10
    There were several threads on the MS story when it broke. Essentially the MS report actually was referencing channel checks on ATT and Verizon a couple weeks after Classic was released in the States. It was not a worldwide estimate by MS. Other sites picked up the 8,000 figure without the proper context. 8,000 still is a low figure for Stateside sales tho for that time period.
    05-05-15 06:31 PM
    Unfortunately the comparison to Apple is somewhat ridiculous, no matter where on earth. Apple reported 39.4 million iPhone sales in three months last October. Even though those figures might be tweaked, the amount exceeds the number of total globally active BlackBerry users from November 2014, which added up to 37m.

Of course the Classic is still fairly new to the market so it might take some time for it to gain traction but unfortunately I don't expect the Passport or Classic sales to be anywhere close to what they should.

Believe me, I am a BlackBerry guy and I hope sales prove to be much better than expected but sadly I'm not all too optimistic about it.

It's a shame because in my opinion the Classic is a great device and an asset to anyone who is into business and a wants a stylish, high quality communication tool. It will certainly be my next BlackBerry after the Passport. We can just hope that more people find out about the greatness of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry should not compare itself to Apple or Android.. It is a different machine for a different user... You are never going to see a bunch of Teenage girls showing off their new Blackberry.... They need to carve out some small market share of professionals and do a great job of that.. They should not try to be everything to everybody..
    05-05-15 07:34 PM
    For what its worth ... My Verizon rep laughed when I bought my classic... He said that mine was the first one he had sold. He then added "let me know how you like it"..... He was not concerned with even learning about the device and trying to market it.
    davisgq and eyesopen1111 like this.
    05-05-15 07:37 PM
    BlackBerry doesn't typically release those granular numbers but I can tell you what's happening in my environment.

The Classic is outselling the Passport 2 to 1 over a 2 month period. Based on those numbers, id consider it the best selling BlackBerry in many years. That said, the iPhone still out sells BlackBerry 2-1 which used to be 4-1 the same time last year.

Overall, id say the Classic is holding its own.
    What country/market are the 2-1 and 4-1 ratios from? Where in the world is BlackBerry that close to Apple in sales performance?
    05-05-15 07:56 PM
    Blackberry should not compare itself to Apple or Android.. It is a different machine for a different user... You are never going to see a bunch of Teenage girls showing off their new Blackberry.... They need to carve out some small market share of professionals and do a great job of that.. They should not try to be everything to everybody..
    That's basically what I was saying.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 07:57 PM
    What country/market are the 2-1 and 4-1 ratios from? Where in the world is BlackBerry that close to Apple in sales performance?
    Waterloo Headquarter

He said environment, not country/region/city.
    This is quite believable actually, assuming sales mean free work BlackBerries.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-05-15 08:48 PM
    There were several threads on the MS story when it broke. Essentially the MS report actually was referencing channel checks on ATT and Verizon a couple weeks after Classic was released in the States. It was not a worldwide estimate by MS. Other sites picked up the 8,000 figure without the proper context. 8,000 still is a low figure for Stateside sales tho for that time period.
    There were many reports on CrackBerry.com from people wanting to buy the devices few stores had stock, and fewer had devices on display and few to none had staff that talk about them in a positive or informative way (nothing new there).

There is an irony here: an innovative device requires a hands-on trial for a customer to make a purchase decision: The Passport and Classic are not just another minor iteration on the familiar Android or iOS slab.

Carriers are wary and don't stock the channel properly, so no one can see, nevermind buy, the device.

Buying an iPhone sight unseen is not a huge risk: people know what to expect (although I bet there were a few 6+ returns because some may find it too large in reality) but if carrier stores understock the device, it's a bit sadistic to craft guidance about startlingly low sell through. That's the 'bunk' I was referring to, and I thought a credible analyst had written something to that effect.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 05-05-15 at 09:36 PM.
    05-05-15 09:24 PM
    Waterloo Headquarter

He said environment, not country/region/city.
    This is quite believable actually, assuming sales mean free work BlackBerries.

Lol if the statement I quoted really was about Waterloo headquarters! But seriously, I was asking @Martinjdub where these numbers were coming from. Are you answering for him? Why?

Can someone link to sales info in or around Waterloo this year, so that we can confirm these data about Classic sales?
    05-05-15 09:39 PM
    I work for a large Canadian municipality as a wireless / BES admin. I'm not blowing smoke I know my users and my numbers...its what I do.

Posted via CB10 app and BlackBerry Passport 
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-05-15 10:00 PM
    Lol if the statement I quoted really was about Waterloo headquarters! But seriously, I was asking @Martinjdub where these numbers were coming from. Are you answering for him? Why?
    Actually they way I read tis comment is that the environment for such sales number IS the Waterloo Headquarters.
    05-05-15 10:38 PM
    There were many reports on CrackBerry.com from people wanting to buy the devices few stores had stock, and fewer had devices on display and few to none had staff that talk about them in a positive or informative way (nothing new there).

There is an irony here: an innovative device requires a hands-on trial for a customer to make a purchase decision: The Passport and Classic are not just another minor iteration on the familiar Android or iOS slab.

Carriers are wary and don't stock the channel properly, so no one can see, nevermind buy, the device.

Buying an iPhone sight unseen is not a huge risk: people know what to expect (although I bet there were a few 6+ returns because some may find it too large in reality) but if carrier stores understock the device, it's a bit sadistic to craft guidance about startlingly low sell through. That's the 'bunk' I was referring to, and I thought a credible analyst had written some thing to that effect.
    There's a reason why they don't stock them or put them on display if you ask them after getting another phone.

05-05-15 10:38 PM
59 123