Now that we know Vienna is the next BB goal, is it worth moving forward with Classic ?
    The questions is : Since BB10 is presumably going to end, whats the point in get used to OS10 ? We need some time to get used to a new system, but, if we know it is going to die, why we gonna persist on it ?
    If Android is going to be the default OS, why we are not going to it as soon as possible ? Isnt it wise to get used to what is gonna last ?
    11-12-15 07:07 PM
    It's not written in stone. BB10 will be supported for years to come and new devices will also come.
    I have a Passport and have no intentions of getting rid of it.
    I've been with BlackBerry for about 9 years and at least once a year there's some kind of panic that the next step will ruin RIM.
    The idea of going cross platform is a plus.

Believe what you want. Everyone here seems to know more than Mr. Chen about the future of BlackBerry and how to fix it.
    Except they're just complaining about it and Chen is doing something about it.
    idssteve, Quorist, bigjman and 8 others like this.
    11-12-15 07:20 PM
    I have the Priv and hate the Android OS. I have a Passport, but it's getting to be too big for practical use outside the home. Call me crazy, but I think the Classic is my next phone. Bonkers.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 05:12 AM
    If BlackBerry can create extra income by making BlackBerry Android phones, why not? If this allows them to keep BlackBerry 10 afloat, the better. Seriously considered a Classic but it isn't a big upgrade from my Q10 so I'll stick with my Passport and keep the Q10 as a backup.

CB10 - Passport
    11-14-15 05:51 AM
    I have both the Priv and classic and it looks like Blackberry will bring both together some how to keep sales going. Personally I would love a classic that performs better than it does now.

Posted via CB10
    yoke_stefanus likes this.
    11-14-15 07:07 AM
    Right now no one knows what Chen's overall plans for BB10 is. We do know that we will get two updates next year and that BB10 development is in maintenance mode right now. No updates for the android run time in BB10 and no update tools for developers, points to Blackberry waiting as many people to move over to their android devices.

I am just guessing, but I believe Chen will keep BB10 around until they can get android on their devices certified to the level of BlackBerry 10. However, if Chen sees a shift of their larger customers going to their android devices, then say goodbye BB10.

Enjoy your classic and don't worry about the android version until it gets release.

Posted via CB10
    yoke_stefanus, MDoza and Frehley like this.
    11-14-15 08:19 AM
    I would imagine a while. If the new Vienna comes in time for this holiday season, which I hope it does, then I'd imagine the Classic will go on sale for 100-150 off.

I'm waiting for the next ShopBlackberry sale before I pull the trigger on a Classic. But the Vienna seems very tempting as much as I hate to be on a Google powered OS.
    11-14-15 09:22 AM
    It's not written in stone. BB10 will be supported for years to come and new devices will also come.
    I have a Passport and have no intentions of getting rid of it.
    I've been with BlackBerry for about 9 years and at least once a year there's some kind of panic that the next step will ruin RIM.
    The idea of going cross platform is a plus.

Believe what you want. Everyone here seems to know more than Mr. Chen about the future of BlackBerry and how to fix it.
    Completely agree nothing wrong with doing what they did they only thing they need to do for hardcore BlackBerry users is to turn out a few BB10 phones a year and everyone would be happy.

Posted via CB10
    mmk1954 likes this.
    11-14-15 02:48 PM
    As far as I would guess it would be that existing BB10 software would be strictly maintenance, security and minor minor updates.

Now the question is will the future updates remove the Android runtime?

I currently have a Q10 and will be getting a Classic as an upgrade from my carrier and hopefully a Silver Edition Passport on sale soon.

I don't really have a need for a lot of apps but the 3 or 4 Android apps I have downloaded from Amazon I would like to continue working. Does the removal of Android Runtime prevent them from working? Sorry about such a newbie question.

Thx

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 05:38 PM
    As far as I would guess it would be that existing BB10 software would be strictly maintenance, security and minor minor updates.

Now the question is will the future updates remove the Android runtime?

I currently have a Q10 and will be getting a Classic as an upgrade from my carrier and hopefully a Silver Edition Passport on sale soon.

I don't really have a need for a lot of apps but the 3 or 4 Android apps I have downloaded from Amazon I would like to continue working. Does the removal of Android Runtime prevent them from working? Sorry about such a newbie question.

Thx

Posted via CB10
    Not necessarily there was a webpage that you could point to where your apk file was and it would patch it and turn into a bar file which you could sideload now as far as having them work it's all hit and miss

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 06:02 PM
    "How much time do we have with Classic?"

Hmmm, I really don't know. Months, maybe, weeks, days, possibly hours. Yikes! I just don't know.

In all honesty, I don't care. I love my mobile tech. Blackberry is my first love. Android is the dirty girl I like hanging out with from time to time. She knows how to show me a good time.

The Classic has a smaller screen, and is not as fast (neither am I) as other devices. However, the fit and Feel are awesome. The keyboard is utter perfection in my eyes. The trackpad and belt are home to me. While you can get things done on other devices. The Classic just feels right in hand.

While the Priv is nice and most likely the future of Blackberry. I can see myself using the Classic a minimum of two years. Three would be nice, but who knows. I may follow the Kim Kardashian school of thought and just buy multiple Classics.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 08:05 PM
    It's all about preference. In term of specifications , all the newer phone will have higher spects. I myself used a Classic and just got myself a Passport last month. Love the bigger screen and a it is obviously faster. But surprisingly I keep looking at my Classic in my drawer. And now I use both.

Posted from my Passport PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-14-15 09:47 PM
    I just purchased a Classic from BH. I need BB10 and a 4-row keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 10:30 PM
    Some say that chen released android to support bb10..how does that work? If the priv is successful, ppl will obviously opt for it..and the bb10 will be dead bcoz the consumers accepted the priv...if the priv is not successful, then that is the end of blackberry mobile handsets devices, which means bb10s death..
    Bb10 is dead either way...bt it really deserves more..
    I feel it's efficient and userfriendly than any other moblie os I've used so far..

Classic
    11-15-15 03:13 AM
    BB has long needed a "consumer" line to supplement their "Pro" line. IMO. Android BB devices might attract entry level sales that might ultimately lead consumers toward pro level BB10 migration. Even if DroidBerry users never migrate, BB10 devices can stand as low volume, high margin, flagship niche devices for "elite" users with professional needs. Seeing BB10 devices in hands of management, for example, might induce a droid user to try BB droid?

A wildly successful strategy in other markets. How many "consumer grade" Mustangs did Shelby's low volume, high margin, flagship niche Cobra's help to sell by simply validating Ford's performance creds?

Idk. Just possible scenarios. No clue what's in Chen's mind and he hasn't called seeking my advice, lately... Lol.
    ZayDub, acovey and anon(3732391) like this.
    11-15-15 06:01 AM
    I just upgraded my wife's phone to the classic. She really loves it. Really nice looking phone. I play with it from time to time.
    How much time do we have with Classic ?-img_20151115_063358.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Frehley and yoke_stefanus like this.
    11-15-15 07:34 AM
    I've a PP and got my a Classic too, miss the touchsensitifity on the Classic a lot, that phone would be so great with better ppi and so...

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 09:14 AM
    I don't care I will keep using my sexy blue Classic till I get bored

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 10:04 AM
    I've a PP and got my a Classic too, miss the touchsensitifity on the Classic a lot, that phone would be so great with better ppi and so...

Posted via CB10
    Yeah a touch sensitive keyboard would be awesome. And perhaps instead of 16 GB have 32gb. It is a fantastic phone. I have a PP myself.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 10:37 AM
    I'm going to use my classic until it stops working. By stop working, I mean does not send/receive phone calls/txt/e-mail.
    11-17-15 04:08 PM
    Don't all smartphones become obsolete within a couple years? Does anyone keep their smartphone longer than 2-3 years?

(yes, even Apple. Show me an iphone 4 user running iOS9 with the same speed and efficacy of a 5S and I'll retract my statement!)

Posted via CB10
    anon(3732391) and Frehley like this.
    11-18-15 09:53 PM

You sound the same. You have an inside scoop on support for BB10 for years to come, and new devices too?

Posted from CB10
    amathtools and anon(3732391) like this.
    11-18-15 10:43 PM
    I have the Priv and hate the Android OS. I have a Passport, but it's getting to be too big for practical use outside the home. Call me crazy, but I think the Classic is my next phone. Bonkers.

Posted via CB10
    I also had the Priv and didn't like the build quality or Android as well. Passport is way to wide for my preference and believe the Classic is the best BlackBerry ever made. I've had 4 and have a new one on order as of yesterday (kind of a phone ***** and swap between phones, but as I said, Classic = Perfect).
    acovey likes this.
    11-19-15 07:24 AM
    Don't all smartphones become obsolete within a couple years? Does anyone keep their smartphone longer than 2-3 years?

(yes, even Apple. Show me an iphone 4 user running iOS9 with the same speed and efficacy of a 5S and I'll retract my statement!)

Posted via CB10
    Well.. I have my 4S tethered to the Z30 as I write this. Mind you I kept it on iOS 6.1.3. The 4 is a single core CPU and I agree it is obsolete. The 4S is a dual core and still very usable, the Z30 is also a dual core. I continue to use the 4S every day, mostly for Twitter since the BB10 platform has poor support for it and Facebook. I've had the 4S for four years.

There are other advantages such as the small size which you can't get now.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 08:14 AM
    The righting is on the wall Chen will let the BB10 die out I figure no more than 5 years by then all BB10 devices should be sold and no stock left I am sure they have stopped production of those devices. What I can't understand as to why they launched so many new devices this year.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 09:18 AM
62 123