Good Afternoon everyone,

Given the frequency of changing technology , how long do you expect the classic to be a viable device for day to day activites?
    I've personally been a BlackBerry person since the 6200 series through the world edition, storm , and now the classic and the passport.
    I know the BlackBerry of yesteryear were all made to withstand the abuse we subjected them to, and the classic and passport are no exception.

But how long can we really expect a classic to last, hardware wise and support wise?

Posted via CB10
    08-25-17 11:47 AM
    hardware wise... as long as the battery holds a charge...

software wise... I'd say it's already done... unless 10.3.4 manages to emerge...
    08-25-17 12:50 PM
    How long with a #2 wood pencil last?

FYI.... Classic is a BlackBerry of yesteryear - it a 2013 hardware set running an EOL software package that for many never was usable. In the end it really depends on the user... maybe they could get by for another year, maybe they could get by for another five.
    08-25-17 01:05 PM
    I can see your reasoning Dunt, however did the bold series not hang on for a number of years after it was deemed to be "dead" by hardware and support standards?
    By all means and measures, would it be far fetched to see another 3 or 4 years of service out of the device after support is determined to have run its course?

And yes, it depends largely on the user. I, for one, don't necessarily care about apps and games. My BlackBerry is made for calling, texting, emailing and organizational duties. I much prefer the integration of BlackBerry devices than that of ios or android based devices, and I also largely question the security of the IOS and Android platforms.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-17 01:47 PM
    I can see your reasoning Dunt, however did the bold series not hang on for a number of years after it was deemed to be "dead" by hardware and support standards?
    By all means and measures, would it be far fetched to see another 3 or 4 years of service out of the device after support is determined to have run its course?

And yes, it depends largely on the user. I, for one, don't necessarily care about apps and games. My BlackBerry is made for calling, texting, emailing and organizational duties. I much prefer the integration of BlackBerry devices than that of ios or android based devices, and I also largely question the security of the IOS and Android platforms.

Posted via CB10
    It is very possible that BB10 devices will be "usable" by some (maybe .000000001% of smartphone users) for years to come. I would not be surprised if a BOLD 9900 is the last BlackBerry standing.... as they still have the advantage of BIS that is still relevant in some markets .

If you own at BB10 device and it meets your needs today, don't worry about tomorrow.
    08-25-17 02:54 PM
    I'm not really worried about it moving forward because like someone stated previously, as long as it holds a charge I'm good to go.
    Now I only wish that BlackBerry would have something akin to the classic size and functionality wise in the chute with new OS and classic ability.
    I would upgrade right now if the classic was updated with the new OS. I think the dtek, priv and key 1 are awesome devices, but too unwieldy for me. Like putting a keyboard on an iphone...the balance is just wrong.

Not to mention that Verizon is lacking with BlackBerry support, which is why I have a classic.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-17 03:02 PM
    Depends what you use it for.
    I prefer the hub and email to any other platform.

And call quality is fantastic.

Hardware wise it's built like a tank.

Keyone is just an android with buttons...sadly!

Anyway you all know the beauty of this phone....when mine bites the dust I'll buy another Classic!

Posted via CB10
    08-25-17 03:31 PM
    I've given myself until December and then I'll move to the KeyOne. The Classic still serves all my needs both for business and play except for Web browser speed/performance/usability. Lacking in apps is nothing major to me as I just use whatever Web page version exists instead (even with a K1, I believe I'll still go that route and the reasons for that is a whole rant on it's own).

I think Web standards have now moved on to the point where I think it is necessary for a new daily driver. I've had Androids and iPhones as a second device before and know what exists there. But I've been rocking a BlackBerry since my 8700g and I'm not ready to lose the PKB even though everything points to voice being the way of the future in many respects.

I'm enjoying using the Classic and will do so until replaced. Even then I still see myself keeping it as a second device or for emergencies with dropped/broken devices in the future.

The Classic is a great device and one of BB's finest!

Posted via CB10 on my Classic
    08-25-17 07:28 PM
    If exchange email or twitter stopped working, i'd leave. As it is, I'm attempting to make it until Dec 31st.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-17 12:16 AM
    My work requires me to be contactable on Whatsapp. Until that stops working on the Classic, I'll keep using this little guy.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-17 01:08 AM
    Knockout punch for most BB10 devices will be when HTML5 standard moves on again, or the PIM agent becomes incompatible with, say, Gmail or Outlook.com. That's what stops most Symbian devices being viable. The latter may never happen, or it may be several years down the line.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-17 02:00 AM
    My Classic is now a permanent part of my collection - I will not sell it (except to replace it with a better one). As long as it holds a charge, I will use it as a backup for my Priv, just as all my other BB10 devices.
    08-26-17 03:21 AM
    Knockout punch for most BB10 devices will be when HTML5 standard moves on again, or the PIM agent becomes incompatible with, say, Gmail or Outlook.com. That's what stops most Symbian devices being viable. The latter may never happen, or it may be several years down the line.

Posted via CB10
    Good point

Posted via CB10
    08-26-17 03:41 AM
    I'm with the others here that say they will use the Classic until the end of the year; that is unless WhatsApp somehow continues to work into 2018.

The Classic serves my needs very well and it's compact size and durability cannot be beat, which is why I still continue to use it to this day.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-17 06:35 AM
    I think I will hold on until the browser taps out. So far I have been lucky that my browser hasn't had the issues a lot of other BB10 users have had. So the browser takes care of the lack of apps for me. When it goes I will probably need to move on.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-17 12:20 PM
    Won't anytime soon,

Posted via CB10
    08-27-17 03:19 PM
    I love my Classic and dread the day it will not work for my uses. (mostly, browser, calls/texts and some music, photos. I don't need it to entertain me, necessarily, but I do like it.)

I would upgrade if I could find another one with a "mouse" and that wasn't hackable. Isn't that the main, key feature of the old 10 os is that it's more secure than android?
    09-04-17 03:28 PM
    Until it's dead as dead could be!
    09-04-17 06:51 PM
    Well unlike the Passport the Classic was not the most powerful bb10 phone and it was built on updated 2011 hardware with 2014 software so there is not a lot pointing in its favor I have already left mine for a KEYone and I must say a well worth switch but the Classic is still I good phone and I wish those left using it will get most of what they can
    09-07-17 08:53 AM
    I already have a KEYone...but switch my sim to the Classic from time to time. It is a remarkable beautiful device (more so than the K1).

I still want to -really - use it now as for me, like many, the missing of whatsapp will be a hard blow. Right now I can say it has mainly all communication features I need. With whatsapp gone it is merely a sentimental thing of days past.

CB10 on my Classic
    09-07-17 01:24 PM
    I am answering this question for my wife, who has had an AT&T Classic for 2.5 years now. Unlike me, she has very few needs that would drive her to change devices. The Hub, phone, browser, BBM, and camera are about all she uses. Of these, only the browser is at risk of becoming inoperable if BlackBerry 10 goes dead. She might like a bigger screen (but not a bigger device) or a better camera, but the keyboard - to her the most compelling feature - is comfortable to use, and she doesn't really want to change. The lack, or loss, of apps doesn't really bother her either, as she doesn't use her device for social media, games, or multimedia content beyond what her browser can handle.

Based on all of the above factors, she could go a long time and remain satisfied with the device. Fortunately the hardware is generally up to the task too, with a sturdy build helped out by use of screen protector and case. Right now the USB collector is starting to become somewhat flaky, so it helps to have the AT&T model's wireless charging capability - I wish I had started using it earlier. Nonetheless, I just bought her another AT&T Classic - NIB at a really good price - as insurance. So, as long as her needs remain in the realm of basic communication, and armed with a backup device, I would imagine she'll get to 2020 with the Classic... as long as BlackBerry keeps the browser reasonably up-to-date.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-17 09:56 PM
    I would imagine she'll get to 2020 with the Classic... as long as BlackBerry keeps the browser reasonably up-to-date.
    The browser is one of the weak point of the classic. Already now I experience websites which can not be displayed in a useful way.

BlackBerry will not update the stock browser anymore as BB10 is EOL.

CB10 on my Classic
    09-08-17 01:28 PM
    The browser is one of the weak point of the classic. Already now I experience websites which can not be displayed in a useful way.

BlackBerry will not update the stock browser anymore as BB10 is EOL.

CB10 on my Classic
    Likely true but not officially confirmed yet, right? Nor is 10.3.4 officially out of the question, either. Meanwhile, committed BB10 users live in limbo, it seems.
    09-08-17 01:41 PM
    Likely true but not officially confirmed yet, right? Nor is 10.3.4 officially out of the question, either. Meanwhile, committed BB10 users live in limbo, it seems.
    Nothing is confirmed...but very likely. Still there might be updated third party browser which do the job.

Personally I think that most information website like news etc will work just fine. Ordering pizza...being on complicated booking website will become harder and harder I guess.

The Classic is an excellent communication device...also in 2017.

CB10 on my Classic
    09-08-17 01:46 PM
    Nothing is confirmed...but very likely. Still there might be updated third party browser which do the job.

Personally I think that most information website like news etc will work just fine. Ordering pizza...being on complicated booking website will become harder and harder I guess.

The Classic is an excellent communication device...also in 2017.

CB10 on my Classic
    I would like a third-party solution if possible. Have tried Browsie Browser. Good enough so that sites like Bloomberg don't yell at me for having an out-of-date browser, but I have not found myself able to use any website with Browsie that doesn't work with the BB10 browser. Makes me wonder if that kind of inoperability is tied to some BB10 core function.
    09-08-17 02:12 PM