I'm wondering if theres a way to increase the size of the dialogue box on a blackberry classic. On other phones (like an iPhone), you can drag the top of the box up so that it utilizes roughly 75% of you screen, allowing you to view entire paragraphs that you've composed before sending. Currently, my device only displays a few lines which requires me to use the touchscreen or the trackpad to scroll up/down. One of the problems here is that the touchcreeen and trackpad are not as smooth an accurate as I'd like. So, I'm constantly scrolling too many lines above or too many line below, even after I've made sensitivity adjustments. This makes proof reading my text a pain.

Please advise?
    CrackedBarry3 likes this.
    03-09-15 12:18 PM
    Don't think you can, silly limitation really
    03-09-15 12:24 PM
    That really would be a silly limitation and an extreme oversight considering BB is touted as a business phone.

I used BB for years (since the beginning), but then switched over to iPhone for the last 4 years. Now, I'm back because of the BB Classic (which I had high hopes for). But I made the switch specifically for business purposes (texting and emails) and the use of the keyboard. But right now I'm irritated with the dialogue box. I also communicate with customers in forums via Tapatalk which has the same dialogue box problem, Tapatalk works much better on other phones.
    03-09-15 12:47 PM
    That really would be a silly limitation and an extreme oversight considering BB is touted as a business phone.

I used BB for years (since the beginning), but then switched over to iPhone for the last 4 years. Now, I'm back because of the BB Classic (which I had high hopes for). But I made the switch specifically for business purposes (texting and emails) and the use of the keyboard. But right now I'm irritated with the dialogue box. I also communicate with customers in forums via Tapatalk which has the same dialogue box problem, Tapatalk works much better on other phones.
    Not sure what the problem is really. You realize the classic has a smaller screen so obviously you will get less display area?
    You can reduce the font size and it might help you but other than that just give it a couple of weeks and you'll adjust.
    Otherwise perhaps you'd be happier with a different phone, with a bigger screen. Such as the Z30 or passport. Or another brand. I really don't know why an iPhone user would move to BlackBerry and pick the classic over the other great phones.
    03-09-15 01:12 PM
    Get a passport. Specifically designed to have a large viewing area and can fit a lot of text on screen.

Posted via CB10
    RWB3325 likes this.
    03-09-15 01:19 PM
    Not sure what the problem is really. You realize the classic has a smaller screen so obviously you will get less display area?
    You can reduce the font size and it might help you but other than that just give it a couple of weeks and you'll adjust.
    Otherwise perhaps you'd be happier with a different phone, with a bigger screen. Such as the Z30 or passport. Or another brand. I really don't know why an iPhone user would move to BlackBerry and pick the classic over the other great phones.
    I was a loyal BB customer before I was an iPhone user. I don't care about screen size for things such as viewing videos, images, websites, etc.

The problem, and what I'm referring to is the size of the dialogue box in relation to the screen. On most phones/programs you will start out with a dialogue box which is generally the height of 1 line. Once you begin type multiple lines, the size of the dialogue or text box will increase in height allowing you to view 2 or 3 lines. But these programs allow you the feature/function of increasing the size of that dialogue box to where you can view 15-20+ lines. Essentially, allowing you to view the entire paragraph or at least more of the body.

You see, the dialogue box now appears in the bottom 5% of my screen. Then, it can expand (after typing) to maybe 10% of my screen. The size of the screen is irrelevant. It would be nice to view this in maybe 50% of my screen. It makes proof reading a b1tch.

And, as I mentioned earlier, I switched back for the keyboard and the ease of composing text messages and emails.
    03-09-15 02:19 PM
    Or, is there a 3rd party app for text messaging that interacts properly with the hub.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 08:52 PM
    I think I understand what you mean, though I don't really understand the purpose. Basically you want to be able to stretch up the text input area in an sms?
    It can't be done, I don't see how useful that is for me but I guess it would be an added feature to have. Though most communication apps in BlackBerry 10 have extremely little in customization, I don't think this would come in a future update soon
    03-09-15 08:57 PM
    Why not just use email. SMS is limited to 120 characters anyways so instead of sending a bunch of texts why not one properly edited email or BBM? I l know I try and limit my Sms use as its so inefficient, down to only a couple contacts now.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 09:18 PM
    I send a lot of emails as well as mms and sms messages. I work in agribusiness and many of my colleagues and customers use there phones more than desktop or laptop computers. Many of them (including myself) live in rural areas and don't even have high speed Internet available. As a result, many become accustomed to text messages.

Therefore, it's very common for me to send short, professional text messages throughout the day.

My problem with the small text box is that it makes proof reading difficult. For some reason that box doesn't scroll as smoothly as other pages. You can read a large page and it will scroll smoothly up and down. Now, try copying that page into an sms/mms text and then try scrolling thru it....its choppy.

So my problem is in proof reading long text messages through a small, 2 line box that doesn't scroll smoothly and will sometimes skip lines which causes me to lose my place.

Every other smartphone seems to allow for this box to be enlarged. Even right now as I'm texting in the Crackberry app, I'm allowed to view 12 lines because the text/dialogue box expands when you reply.

I'm really shocked that more people don't notice this. I would have thought there was a fix or a settings option that I was overlooking.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 09:46 PM

I'm really shocked that more people don't notice this. I would have thought there was a fix or a settings option that I was overlooking.

Posted via CB10
    Oh, I noticed it and it bothers me as well. But unfortunately it is not possible to expand the text box. At least it is a bit easier now with the classic trackpad to scroll through the text box compared to the Q10.

A classic post via CB10 app
    03-10-15 03:09 AM
    Take a screen shot of what you are referring to and post it on this thread. That would be helpful to the readers.

From the Z30
    03-10-15 05:18 AM
    I read through this thread twice and still can't wrap my head around what the OP is not happy with?

The text chat bubble area is too small?
    03-10-15 12:18 PM
    Here is a screenshot of an iphone. The size of the dialogue box can be increased to a greater height to allow more text to be visible.
    How to increase the size of the dialogue box on BB Classic?-iphone-text-box.png

Here is a screenshot from the Classic

How to increase the size of the dialogue box on BB Classic?-img_20150310_124054.png

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 12:51 PM
    Got it.
    I guess I have not had any problems with the way that the BlackBerry OS manages this. It appears that the BlackBerry OS increases the dialogue box to a predetermined maximum size.
    I would be curious to see what an expanded dialogue box looks like in iOS when you have other boxes on top of the one in which you are typing. I suppose you just see fewer of the previous chat boxes.
    I'm not saying you don't have a legitimate gripe, I guess I just don't type super-long text messages. Sometimes the bbm messages can get long, only because I'm not limited by the number of characters.

From the Z30
    03-10-15 02:43 PM
    Could you write the text using a note in remember, and then copy and past the text in the sms application?

I know that this is only a workaround, but I do not think there is an easier solution to your problem.

Alfredo

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 03:21 PM
    Got it.
    I guess I have not had any problems with the way that the BlackBerry OS manages this. It appears that the BlackBerry OS increases the dialogue box to a predetermined maximum size.
    I would be curious to see what an expanded dialogue box looks like in iOS when you have other boxes on top of the one in which you are typing. I suppose you just see fewer of the previous chat boxes.
    I'm not saying you don't have a legitimate gripe, I guess I just don't type super-long text messages. Sometimes the bbm messages can get long, only because I'm not limited by the number of characters.

From the Z30
    Hey In ios the texts appear in a small bar similar to BlackBerry, which allows you to view previous texts in the thread. But, you can then drag the top of the box updward to expand the dialogue box area. It seems like an easy and rather basic feature as I've noticed similar functionality on other phones.

It's not the end of the world for me. In general, I'm enjoying the classic. In some cases it's not very efficient OR I'm not yet efficient at operating it. Lol

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 03:33 PM
    One thing you might try op, is to go into the settings and turn down the sensitivity of the trackpad. I turned mine down over half way, and it scrolls much more smoothly everywhere now.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 04:40 PM
    One thing you might try op, is to go into the settings and turn down the sensitivity of the trackpad. I turned mine down over half way, and it scrolls much more smoothly everywhere now.

Posted via CB10
    I'll give that a shot. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 05:27 PM