On the Q20 when you swipe up to minimize an app what happens if you have your finger on the track pad? Does the upward movement on the trackpad have a different behavior versus the behavior on the bottom edge of the screen? It just seems confusing to me when you have both so close to each other. I can't understand how BBRY will pull this off. It will be interesting to see for sure.
    02-26-14 02:02 AM
    There will be no swipe up I think... the BlackBerry logo button will put the app in active frame

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 02:52 AM
    To the right of the track pad where on the BlackBerry 7 bar there is a back key there will be marked the back key symbol however it will not depress. Place you finger there and swipe up as normal.
    What I'm saying is swipe up from the bar like a playbook edge of screen. So long as not the tiny bit above trackpad that would be ok. Fact theres a trackpad and 3 or 4 buttons on there make no difference, swipe must start in the bar.
    Last edited by gg bb; 02-26-14 at 07:41 AM.
    02-26-14 07:27 AM
    Funny how some proclaim to have answers despite no pictures or design has yet been released.

Posted with my ?Q10 running 10.2.1.1925.
    02-26-14 07:40 AM
    I merely made suggestion that its not a prroblem as I see it
    02-26-14 07:42 AM
    We'll just have to wait and see.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    02-26-14 07:48 AM
    They might put the trackpad on the bottom of the keyboard. Idk that would be pretty cool but I think the buttons would be to far from the screen that way

Posted via CB10 via My Q10
    podes2204 likes this.
    02-26-14 07:51 AM
    I keep trying to say this but no one seems to acknowledge this problem:

The problem isn't swiping up. The problem is accidentally swiping up when using the track pad!

While scrolling up on a track pad, if you move your finger too far up you will activate the swipe up gesture!

Someone please acknowledge this problem. It can't just be me. And for this reason I have a feeling that "classic" BB10 devices won't have a swipe up or a up-right gesture. It will simply be icon-based. Entering the hub will happen with the click on the hub icon.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 08:25 AM
    How will it work? You swipe your thumb from the bottom of the screen upward.

You're welcome.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    toneytone likes this.
    02-27-14 12:27 AM
    I keep trying to say this but no one seems to acknowledge this problem:

The problem isn't swiping up. The problem is accidentally swiping up when using the track pad!

While scrolling up on a track pad, if you move your finger too far up you will activate the swipe up gesture!

Someone please acknowledge this problem. It can't just be me. And for this reason I have a feeling that "classic" BB10 devices won't have a swipe up or a up-right gesture. It will simply be icon-based. Entering the hub will happen with the click on the hub icon.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know about you, but when I'm using a track pad, if I ever touch the screen, it's only a little bit. Because my muscles know how to stop, I never accidentally swipe all the way up half the screen when I meant to only swipe the height of the track pad. The 9900 had a touchscreen right above the track pad. I never had an issue of accidentally touching something on the bottom of the screen or accidentally scrolling down by swiping up on the screen while sliding my thumb on the track pad. I guess I don't have parkinson's disease. Go me.

Traderhorn and KDB84 like this.
    02-27-14 12:30 AM
    swipe up to the right or left of the track pad. I know my swipe ups are never perfectly center.
    02-27-14 12:49 AM
    There will be no swipe up I think... the BlackBerry logo button will put the app in active frame

Posted via CB10
    That would be idiotic.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 01:12 AM
    On the Q20 when you swipe up to minimize an app what happens if you have your finger on the track pad? Does the upward movement on the trackpad have a different behavior versus the behavior on the bottom edge of the screen? It just seems confusing to me when you have both so close to each other. I can't understand how BBRY will pull this off. It will be interesting to see for sure.
    My god, how fast people forget, it was never the menu button, it was the end call button that acted as a home button, no need to swipe.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    southlander likes this.
    02-27-14 02:56 AM
    My god, how fast people forget, it was never the menu button, it was the end call button that acted as a home button, no need to swipe.

Or the back key. In fact this is how Android apps run now on BlackBerry 10. If you press the back key and are on the home page of the app, the app moves to an active frame. So I'd think it's the same idea on the Q20.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    02-27-14 03:26 AM
    Or the back key. In fact this is how Android apps run now on BlackBerry 10. If you press the back key and are on the home page of the app, the app moves to an active frame. So I'd think it's the same idea on the Q20.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    Ok but the whole reason they're doing this is to encourage legacy users to love to BB10 and so they need to keep the experience familiar to them, not force them to learn new functions.

Back button has always out you back one step with a press and closed the app with a long press, that needs to remain constant.

Traderhorn likes this.
    02-27-14 03:36 AM
    Ok but the whole reason they're doing this is to encourage legacy users to love to BB10 and so they need to keep the experience familiar to them, not force them to learn new functions.

Back button has always out you back one step with a press and closed the app with a long press, that needs to remain constant.

Damn this fecking autocorrect, hurry up Q20.

02-27-14 03:40 AM
    I don't know about you, but when I'm using a track pad, if I ever touch the screen, it's only a little bit. Because my muscles know how to stop, I never accidentally swipe all the way up half the screen when I meant to only swipe the height of the track pad. The 9900 had a touchscreen right above the track pad. I never had an issue of accidentally touching something on the bottom of the screen or accidentally scrolling down by swiping up on the screen while sliding my thumb on the track pad. I guess I don't have parkinson's disease. Go me.

On my 9900 when I scrolled with my trackpad there were definitely times when I would touch the screen. Like you, I would only touch it a little bit. Not a big issue since it only slightly hampered my scroll up.

But with a swipe up gesture, if I were to accidentally activate it, I'd have to reach all the way up and click on the most recent active frame to go back to where I was. Very annoying in my mind

Also, you don't need to drag your finger halfway up the screen to activate the swipe up gesture. A short quick 1 inch from the bottom swipe will do it. Try it yourself. That's what worries me.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 08:01 AM
    They should make the tool belt a clip on with screen underneath. Then user can decide whether to attach the tool belt (at work) or remove it (at home).

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 08:15 AM
    On my 9900 when I scrolled with my trackpad there were definitely times when I would touch the screen. Like you, I would only touch it a little bit. Not a big issue since it only slightly hampered my scroll up.

But with a swipe up gesture, if I were to accidentally activate it, I'd have to reach all the way up and click on the most recent active frame to go back to where I was. Very annoying in my mind

Also, you don't need to drag your finger halfway up the screen to activate the swipe up gesture. A short quick 1 inch from the bottom swipe will do it. Try it yourself. That's what worries me.

Posted via CB10
    How sensitive is your screen? If I touch just the bottom of the screen on my Q10 while in an app, it doesn't even begin to start the swipe up motion... I have to swipe from the bottom to at least the middle of the screen in constant and deliberate contact with the screen to do that... Touching the bottom of the screen a little while using the trackpad will do absolutely nothing...
    02-27-14 10:00 AM
    How sensitive is your screen? If I touch just the bottom of the screen on my Q10 while in an app, it doesn't even begin to start the swipe up motion... I have to swipe from the bottom to at least the middle of the screen in constant and deliberate contact with the screen to do that... Touching the bottom of the screen a little while using the trackpad will do absolutely nothing...
    It's not just touching the screen. It's a quick up swipe that will cause the gesture to activate.

And that's the thing. If the trackpad is directly under the bottom bezel and you're scrolling up on the track pad, then it is a deliberate upward motion. I should film this and see if I can get my point across. I'll post a vid.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 11:08 AM
    The touch sensitive glass fascia of a BlackBerry 10 phone or Playbook is not the same as the screen.
    A swipe up must begin it a specific part of the glass.
    On a q10 this is the 5mm above the top keyboard bezel (approx) its likely to be different on q20. We cant really know how BlackBerry will solve this but it does not look like a difficult problem to me.
    The current swipe up is not perfect. I was shown minion rush game, I just cannot do this without minimising the app almost every time I tried to jump.
    02-27-14 12:05 PM
    It's not just touching the screen. It's a quick up swipe that will cause the gesture to activate.

And that's the thing. If the trackpad is directly under the bottom bezel and you're scrolling up on the track pad, then it is a deliberate upward motion. I should film this and see if I can get my point across. I'll post a vid.

Posted via CB10
    How far off the trackpad are you getting? I would hope unless you're 95 years old you have some control over your thumb. It is a deliberate upward motion ON THE TRACKPAD... the "accidental" overshoot past it shouldn't be so deliberate. and a slight touch of the bottom of the screen would not activate the swipe up. Also, every BB device I've seen with a track pad it is elevated higher than the screen. Sure it's only very slight, but like I've said, unless you have issues with your coordination it actually should be enough to prevent touching the screen even if you overshoot the track pad a little bit. I've never had an issue touching the touch screen of my 9900 while swiping on the trackpad... I swipe on and up away from the screen during the swipe motion, never had an issue in all of the time using the Bold 9900.

02-27-14 12:08 PM
    In theory, this does seem like a problem. However, in practice, I don't think it will be a big deal.

I'm pretty sure that BB10 already uses a lot of sophisticated heuristics to distinguish various finger movements. It tries to interpret your intention based on speed, position, etc.

In fact, you can experiment with this on Q10 now. Try a little swipe up from the keyboard. Continue to the screen, but not too far up. There's a threshold below which BB10 won't register it as a gesture.

It won't always get it right, but I think it will work most of the time.

Even now, on my Q10, when I'm scrolling down a web page, my gesture often gets misinterpreted as a swipe up, and the browser gets sent into an active frame.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 12:31 PM
    How far off the trackpad are you getting? I would hope unless you're 95 years old you have some control over your thumb. It is a deliberate upward motion ON THE TRACKPAD... the "accidental" overshoot past it shouldn't be so deliberate. and a slight touch of the bottom of the screen would not activate the swipe up. Also, every BB device I've seen with a track pad it is elevated higher than the screen. Sure it's only very slight, but like I've said, unless you have issues with your coordination it actually should be enough to prevent touching the screen even if you overshoot the track pad a little bit. I've never had an issue touching the touch screen of my 9900 while swiping on the trackpad... I swipe on and up away from the screen during the swipe motion, never had an issue in all of the time using the Bold 9900.

Have you ever rapidly swiped up on a track pad before?
    02-27-14 10:52 PM
    Have you ever rapidly swiped up on a track pad before?
    Um, yes.

02-27-14 11:35 PM
32 12