Hey guys, I am returning to blackberry, but theres just this one app I really need: Google Maps.

I really need to know if there are people on the forum that uses this version on a CLASSIC (not any other devices) perfectly? I am not looking to sideload via Snap, cuz I have the apk file from apk-dl. I am just wondering if there are anyone here that install this version of Google Maps this way, and knows its performance on the Classic?

Thanks in advance...cuz this is the one app I truly need

(i dont need its Google account integration function..just need to know if the map and the navigation works on a Classic screen)

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-20-15 04:12 AM
    Yes, it works and works well (although I don't really use it much. BlackBerry Maps and Mireo are my nav apps).

BlackBerryaholic by choice.
    04-20-15 05:35 AM
    Yes, it works and works well (although I don't really use it much. BlackBerry Maps and Mireo are my nav apps).

Hmmm...I am installing it now but for some reason, it always flash quits after I try to start the app...

How did you get it to work? Via Snap?

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 06:34 AM
    Hmmm...I am installing it now but for some reason, it always flash quits after I try to start the app...

How did you get it to work? Via Snap?

Posted via CB10
    I installed it from the Snap app. I also have Google Play services installed, so that might make a difference.

04-20-15 07:15 AM
    It was suggested to use Google Maps version 7 for the best experience from a performance perspective. Works fine for me on the Classic with or without play services installed. Not sure if the newer versions offer a similar experience...might have to try them out..
    04-20-15 07:21 AM
    I have whatever version you get from snap freshly installed a couple months ago when I got this awesome classic...it works fine. Maybe a little slower to startup than BlackBerry maps, but not a big deal.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 07:43 AM
    I installed it from the Snap app. I also have Google Play services installed, so that might make a difference.

I see. Yeah Snap is something I am still hesitant to try...mainly because I have to give it my google account's password..thats why I prefer installing apk atm..but tks

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 09:09 AM
    It was suggested to use Google Maps version 7 for the best experience from a performance perspective. Works fine for me on the Classic with or without play services installed. Not sure if the newer versions offer a similar experience...might have to try them out..
    True. I am running Vers 7 something and it's fine...just thinking if 9.x works without Snap...tks

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 09:10 AM
    I see. Yeah Snap is something I am still hesitant to try...mainly because I have to give it my google account's password..thats why I prefer installing apk atm..but tks

Posted via CB10
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1009110

This is another option for the Google store.

04-21-15 03:26 AM
    Tried upgrading to 9.7.1 through Snap and now Google Maps launches, but it hangs at a black screen. COOL.
    04-21-15 06:37 AM
    To be honest, the integration with calendar and contacts in BB10 makes the built in Maps work really well. I haven't felt the need to look for Google Maps since I've started using 10.3.1.

The more the merrier though. Snap kicks ***.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 08:10 AM
    Google is just so much faster and accurate at finding addresses and points of interest. I don't mind using the native navigation when I know the exact address, but sometimes I don't and it can't find names of businesses that google can. On top of that needing to have location services on to get directions is frustrating. What if I want to look up a route from a location I'm not currently at?

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 08:47 AM
    I have Google Maps Version 1.8.401.100 on my Z10 and it works perfectly, but not the latest one.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 10:03 PM
    Google is just so much faster and accurate at finding addresses and points of interest. I don't mind using the native navigation when I know the exact address, but sometimes I don't and it can't find names of businesses that google can. On top of that needing to have location services on to get directions is frustrating. What if I want to look up a route from a location I'm not currently at?

Posted via CB10
    Try Waze from snap. You may be quite happy with it.
    04-24-15 12:59 AM